PDA

View Full Version : Really had enough and dont know what to do

chris_notts
8th August 2006, 08:33 PM
Well first of all hello im 19 and here becuase i had kyphosis since being at school and had the op to have a rod put in over 2 years ago but all did not go well, got an infection and ended up with it being took out and left in a mess and not much of a life at the end as i feel some days.

As i am today my back is in a mess got a horrible scar very nasty at the top due to the infection, whent back to hopital not long ago and told them how i was feeling because befor i whent into hopital in the first place i was fine in myself and only real problem was the look of my back.

Now though the curv is alot worst i have minor scoliosis aswell from this i get alot of pain in my shoulder, im not been working as find it hard to do anything without need rest after.

I have been offerd another op but this time they go through the front aswell and have to where a halo for a week or so then have another op, as anyone else had this becuase i really dont know what to do.

I want to have a normal life, a straight back and get back to a normal but i really put off going back in becuase what it was like last time in hospital i hated it and wish i never botherd going in.

Cheers

sins
8th August 2006, 09:00 PM
Hi Chris and welcome :welcome:
You've come to the best place for support! Sorry to hear about all you've been through.Infections can unfortunately be very serious and it seems like it wrecked your chance of healing after your first operation.
I'm a bit surprised that your first surgery wasn't done both from front and back first time.
However, John(zerodegrees) has had this procedure and Phil so they'll be best placed to advise you.
Revision surgeries are usually done in two or three stages.
The old fusion would have to be removed and taken apart firstly
The op is normally done in two stages where the discs are removed from the front of the spine.The incision would be on your side.
The halo traction is usually halo gravity traction, and this consists of a metal halo around your head and water weights which will gently pull your spine straight over about a week, and then the second posterior stage would be done and the halp clamp removed.
I had halo traction back in the 1980's and even though it seems fearsome it's actually ok and not painful or scary.
Is the same surgeon who did your first op doing the new one?
Sins

tonibunny
8th August 2006, 09:03 PM
Hi Chris, welcome to SSO :welcome2:

I'm really sorry to read that you had such a bad experience with surgery :( Where did you have your operation done? Have you any idea of the size of your curves now?

I had halo traction for just over a fortnight when I was ten, in the same 2-stage manner as they are proposing for you. They'll do the anterior surgery first, in which they remove discs in order to loosen up your spine so there's more room for the vertebrae to move, then have you in halo traction to gently pull your spine as straight as possible. After that you'll have the fusion surgery where they'll put the rods in.

A bad experience of surgery like you had would shake anyone up, but if you can manage to get through this surgery then it's more than likely that you'll be in much better shape than you are currently, and you'd enjoy life better as a result. I've just spent a lot of time off work myself and I know how it gets you down :(

You need to make sure that you're being seen by surgeons who really know what they are doing. I assume that you're in Nottinghamshire - are you being see at the Queens Medical Centre in Nottingham? If so, great! They're one of the best places for spinal surgery in the country.

Again, welcome! :D

Toni xx

chris_notts
8th August 2006, 09:03 PM
Yes it is at QMC, my curve now is at 102 not 100% on that.

sins
8th August 2006, 09:17 PM
That's quite a curve and needs to have something done about it.
My scoliosis curve is 110 after a surgery that failed to correct it but as I'm in my late thirties I'm not having it done again.
The fact is, QMC is one of the few centres who have the expertise to do complex revision surgeries.To be fair anyone can get an infection and it's just one of those lousy lotteries as to who ends up with one.
have you been given a possible date for surgery and has the consultant explained the risks/benefits of having it done?
Sins
P.s sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand the full picture

Thaleias spirit
8th August 2006, 09:26 PM
Hi Chris.

Welcome to SSO. first off let me say I can understand your reservations. I'll be 4 weeks post op tomorrow. I had a two stage procedure done and although that went smoothly I was very sick after each stage and also got a bad stomach infection afterward the second stage. Not something I ever want to go through again. However, I had a consultant who I had great faith in and the results he gave me are fantastic. My curve beforehand was 155 degrees, not sure exactly what it measures now but I look very different.

From what I've heard QMC is an excellent place to have your surgery. Now all I can advise is that you find yourself a consultant that you are comfortable with and trust, it makes a huge difference. Once your happy with them and how they plan on doing the surgery for you it will make the experience that bit easier.

chele

chris_notts
8th August 2006, 09:39 PM
I just had a look at my notes.....

This was 11th may

On examination today:

He has a very slight trunkal shift to the left with a mild scoliosis. his c7 plumb line is satisfactor due to an over lordosis of the lumbar spine compensating for a moderately severe thoracic kyphosis. he accommodates a reasonable horizontal gaze by hyperlordosing his c spine.

predictably, this posture is difficult to maintain and this explains why he is fatigued after a reatively short period of walking around and he is therefore constantly having to brace himself.

there is no palpable tenderness in his back except some pain over the top of the right scapula. there is considerably scarring of his wond superiorally with pitting over the T4/6 at the site of the original wound dihisance. there is no evidence clincally of any infection. Neurologically his upper and lower limbs are normal with all refelexs being present, brisk and symmetrical.

He had tight hamstrings certainly secondary to his spinal deformity.

X-rays today show a hyper-lumbar lordosis of 45o compensating for a 102o thoracic kypohosis. his C7 plumb line is slightly anerior to the lumbar sacral junction by 3 1/2 cms. he has a 12o left thoraco lumbar scoliosis.

mark
8th August 2006, 11:14 PM
Hi Chris

Welcome to SSO

I echo everything sid above and i'm really sorry to read about the experiences you have had

take care

mark

scoligirl
13th August 2006, 06:42 PM
I've read your full story from the other thread and you have been through a really difficult time. I can't imagine what it's like going through surgery like that and then ending up worse off.

I hope the next operation goes well if you decide to have it. Do you have any hobbies to help you unwind from all the worries?

I'm glad you've found this site as everyone is really helpful if you any more questions

zerodegrees
13th August 2006, 09:14 PM
hi chris,

welcome to sso, glad you've found us. I had anterior/posterior surgery at qmc 10 months ago and have just about fully recovered. I'm sorry to hear you've had such a bad time of it but you really are in good hands at qmc who have some of the best spinal surgeons in the country. my surgery was very complex and I am now totally happy with the results.

everyone is great on here and we have lots of advice for you.

cheers john

flump
14th August 2006, 03:41 PM
Hi Chris,

really sorry to read about everything you went through with your first surgery. I had my scoliosis corrected at the QMC back in April, and am now on the road to recovery.

I have found the hospital to be fantastic, with extremely dedicated nursing staff. Matron Shacklock who runs the Spinal Unit has a great reputation for cleanliness on the ward, so you will be in good hands.

Who is your consultant? I saw Mr Sell.

Take care

Catherine

Little Ali
14th August 2006, 11:41 PM
Hi there! :welcome2:

I'm really sorry to hear about your bad experiences! It must be horrible for you.

I'm currently in the process of deciding whether to have surgery for kyphoscoliosis so am interested to hear all sides of the story!

You've definately come to the right place! Everyone here is lovely and really helpful! Hope you like it! :spin:

:squeeze: