PDA

View Full Version : Sore Trapezius muscle

Little Ali
3rd August 2006, 10:13 PM
Hello!
:help: My right Trapezius muscle feels really, really tight and is very sore! I'm getting pain down my arm from it and headaches. The physio does help with it but it comes back pretty quickly and stops me from getting comfortable to go to sleep. :nut:

Anyone got any exercises or anything I could to make it less tight and sore? There's one where you stretch your arms behind your back but I can't do that as I don't have the balance and just fall over! :hammer:

Thanks for any suggestions! :rox:

tonibunny
3rd August 2006, 11:01 PM
Ugh, I do feel sorry for you Ali. I have chronically spasming trapz muscles as you know, but the only thing that has ever helped has been the steroid injections. Hot baths relieve the soreness whilst I'm in the water, but it comes back almost immediately once I'm out of the bath.

I wish I could help....and if anyone else has tips on this, I'd really like to hear! My trapz muscles have been like this since I was 18, which is when I first had physio to try to sort them out. They're just permanently rock hard. The steroid injections hurt like mad to have put in (imagine injecting through a rock hard muscle....eeeeep!) but oh, the feeling when they loosened up was unbelievable.

Joy
3rd August 2006, 11:22 PM
Ali, I can sympathize, I have the same problem. Have you tried that cream that get warm when you rub it on. It doesn't help relax my muscles, but any heat source feels nice. My physio suggests gently massaging the muscles, using the *opposite* hand. This doesn't help me, and I find it very painful but it is worth a try! I wish there was something else I could suggest...

Jonny
4th August 2006, 02:08 AM
Ugh, I get tense trapezius muscles too - it's a high fusion thing I think, exacerbated in no small measure by holding a violin. All I can suggest, I'm afraid, is an attractive member of the opposite sex with a bottle of almond oil, or perhaps more conveniently, ibuprofen gel. I found ibuprofen gel very, very good over my thoracoplasty and I'm sure it does a decent job on muscles, and particularly Deep Relief gel with levomenthol - Titch is the expert on that stuff!

butterflylr
4th August 2006, 05:48 AM
That is currently my biggest pain area. My chiropractor is working with me on some exercises to relieve some of the tension. Also, I don't know what you do for work, but if you use a mouse a lot and are constantly reaching that can make it worse too. I've just found so far to take warm baths to ease the tension and massage also works wonderfully if you can get that. But like you, it comes back very quickly. I haven't yet found a way to stop that. If I ever find out how to make that stop, I'll let you know!

gerbo
4th August 2006, 08:21 AM
I would imagine that swimming, gently, might help loosening it up. What about aromatherapy or any other professional massager (that isn't the right word, I know, cannot think of anything better), doesn't have to be attractive, (only makes you tense up more), just needs sensitive but strong hands.

tonibunny
4th August 2006, 09:10 AM
any other professional massager

You're looking for the word masseuse ;)

I'm glad that massage helps a lot of you, but for me, massage is really painful and feels like the muscle is burning, and doesn't have any useful effect :( Neither does Deep Relief gel or Ibruprofen gel or anything....I've even tried this really strong Chinese stuff called Wood Lok Oil which is amazing for other bits of my back, but just burns my trapz. Moral of the story kids: make sure you keep massaging those muscles and dont leave them in spasm for 12 years :cry:I had to give up regular lessons on the violin because of this.

I'm having my steroid injections redone a week on Monday, and will be following that with 3 weeks in hospital where they are going to help me stretch out my muscles with hydrotherapy and intensive physio. Hopefully after that I will be in a lot better shape. Can't wait!!!

sins
4th August 2006, 09:33 AM
For those who don't have instrumentation, I find the simple infrared massager from Argos a great help.Get one with an extendable handle so you don't need help.20 mins a day makes it tolerable.Depends on how bad your pain is really though.
Sins

gerbo
4th August 2006, 10:33 AM
You're looking for the word masseuse

and what would be the male equivalent?

I had to give up regular lessons on the violin because of this.

what a shame, I was wondering how your violin was going, will you try to pick it up again?

Hopefully after that I will be in a lot better shape. Can't wait!!!

clearly, with all that being planned for you, your muscles must be in a desparate state. You willneed to work out what to do to prevent them getting in a similar situation again, once they've sorted you and in that there must be a place for regular massage and stretching type of treatments. And swim...... (nice warm water, gentle breaststroke, good stretch out at the end of each stroke....)

gerbo

Jonny
4th August 2006, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by sins@Aug 4 2006, 08:33 AM
For those who don't have instrumentation, I find the simple infrared massager from Argos a great help.Get one with an extendable handle so you don't need help.20 mins a day makes it tolerable.Depends on how bad your pain is really though.
Sins
hmm... why might instrumentation be an obstacle to using it?

gerbo
4th August 2006, 05:05 PM
maybe the infrared penetrates the skin more and heats up the metal, grilling the surrounding tissues in the proces???

Little Ali
4th August 2006, 06:43 PM
maybe the infrared penetrates the skin more and heats up the metal, grilling the surrounding tissues in the proces???

Mmmmm....nice! Grilled human!! :hammer:

Thanks for all your replies guys! Really appreciate it!! :niceone:

Ok..I do go for physio (once a fortnight at the moment cos I have to pay for it) but I'm thinking of going more regularly yo keep it at bay. A good massage does help. And Toni...I agree that it does flippin hurt, but I've come to the conclusion that if it doesn't hurt, it isn't working! I wish I could see my face when I'm gritting my teeth though!

I do see a male physio who is best as tackling this problem (and he is rather attractive!)It looks like I'm going to be getting a referal on the NHS to a physio so I don't have to pay. Not sure how long that's going to take though! :nut:

I know swimming is good for me. I love swimming once I'm in the water. I just hate the whole getting changed malarky and having to wander around in my swimming costume being all wonky. But, anyway, that's a whole other issue and something I need to get over.

Please feel free to harp on at me to make me going swimming whenever you speak to me!! I need some assistance in motivating myself!

Again, thanks for your help guys.

You're fab! :rox:

sins
4th August 2006, 07:21 PM

Possibly, as it combines heat, vibration and Infra red radiation.
Metal is less robust when heated so it may cause bending of rods etc...
unlikely though! But I'm happy with the grilled human theory....
You could try it arounf the 11 th sept Jonny and see :glee:
The male equivalent of masseuse is masseur.
Sins

tonibunny
5th August 2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by gerbo@Aug 4 2006, 09:33 AM

clearly, with all that being planned for you, your muscles must be in a desparate state. You willneed to work out what to do to prevent them getting in a similar situation again, once they've sorted you and in that there must be a place for regular massage and stretching type of treatments. And swim...... (nice warm water, gentle breaststroke, good stretch out at the end of each stroke....)

gerbo
Hi Gerbo,

I can play the violin every now and then for fun, but can't study it properly as I'd have liked to. It's OK, I'm concentrating on the oboe now and am also enjoying the cello :-)

I'm definitely planning on swimming regularly but find breaststroke to be impossible do to the length of my fusion/position of my ribs (I don't have the full range of movement in my left shoulder), so I'll be sticking to a crawl. Massage would be nice - I'll have to pay for that privately but it'll be worth it.

Toni

tonibunny
5th August 2006, 09:29 PM
I've just found this site.....it's brilliant, it has a little animated figure that shows you how to do various stretches :D

Exercise demos at www.backrelief.ca: (http://www.backrelief.ca/glossary/) Click the figure on the lefthand side of the page

Little Ali
5th August 2006, 10:39 PM
Thanks Toni!! :niceone: I've just done some of those neck stretches and it feels nice!! :-)

grainnewoods
14th August 2006, 08:34 PM
Hi Ai
i get a lot of pain in the trapezius muscles too. This is common because these muscles have to take extra strain because of the curve(usually one side is firmer than other).Various forms of therapist have differing views on the actual origin of the pain (ie some believe in trigger points which is never the area where the muscle has the build up of lactic acic (tension)but all would agree that a good massage disperses the build up and prevents further damage)
I find being on the computer even leaves me stiff after only an hour & it takes me about that to answer a post.
Even a gentle rub over will help if you have an obliging friend , although i always say when i'm doing a muscular massage that it aint working if it aint hurting
so best to put up with the pain and the next day it feels great. :rofl:

Little Ali
14th August 2006, 10:18 PM
Hi there!

Yeah I know, I keep booking my physio appointments with one physio rather than the other for the pure fact that he reeaaally hurts and it works better! :hammer: It's very painful at the time but I really feel the benefits the next day! :niceone:

I have one obliging friend....I need to find more!!

titch
15th August 2006, 10:04 AM
I know what you mean about it being best when it hurts :-) You *know* when it's the wrong kind of pain - when it's just muscle abuse and the pain is from all the little pockets of lactic acid being broken up, ohhhh that's good the next day.

Having said that, I would always encourage anyone to make sure that a new therapist (or friend or whoever is doing the massage) is fairly gentle to begin with - always better to build up the pressure rather than go in strong and risk being hurt. There's also the trust issue - even if you don't realise it, until you get used to a new person's touch, you're not likely to relax as well, or deal as well with strong pressure.

All that said, I still definitely tolerate a much firmer massage than most people just because I know it will feel so good the next day :D

grainnewoods
25th August 2006, 11:35 PM
Yeah i just read these posts again and i sound like a real butcher but your'e definitly right you need someone who knows what they're doing if your having anything other than a gentle rub down.When i started having deep massage lately i couldn't relax and spent most of the session talking about my harrington rods and how fragile they are but i've started to chill out and enjoy now that i trust the therapist (& the fact that i'm still in one piece has helped too) :-)

andyw
30th October 2006, 09:06 AM
I think i might be able to help!

First all - Ali get yourself into that swimming pool, i go everyday and love it so much!

About the pain in the trapezius. This is probably my biggest problem! My right trapezius is probably 3 times as big as the left, people tell me it isn't, but they are just trying to be nice. I am trying to find a way to build up the other side, but nothing seems to work! :nut:

About the pain! Well i get pain there especially when i am driving and when sat at the computer. When driving it is worse because of the seatbelt rubbing on the muscle. I do have an exercise that helps me. As my right trapezius causes me the pain, i will go through the exercise as if i were 'doing' that muscle, but just switch it around for your left side.............

Sat in a chair (useful if you are driving) put the palm of your hand on the seat, grabbing the edge as if you were about to fall off it. Then tilt your head to the left and push your arm down against the seat so you are stretching the muscle. It's quite a simple one but works for me - WARNING - Be careful the first time you do it, don't want to pull any muscles!

Once again - Ali - GO SWIMMING!

Little Ali
30th October 2006, 08:07 PM
Thanks Andy!! :-D

I really must stop being lazy and go swimming shouldn't I?! :roll:

andyw
31st October 2006, 09:12 AM
Yes you should, how about going today?

Little Ali
31st October 2006, 07:57 PM
:roll: Oooops...too late for today! I've spent today with my boyfriend cos today was my last day off work for half term and I won't be able to see him til the weekend now! :cry: Sorry...I'm very smitten and vomit inducing at the moment! :vomit: I'll get you a bucket!

I did go the physio this morning though and he said that I'm better than he's ever seen me before and there wasn't much tension at all! :niceone: I WILL start going swimming again...soon! :roll:

Kelmisty
5th November 2006, 09:14 AM
Phewwwwww.........

This is my first post. But Im sooo relieved to find that other suffer with the same shoulder pain as me.

I went to my doctor and got referred to a physio but I would have to wait for 32 weeks. so ended up going private but I have had to stop as it costs 35 a session advised twice a week.....70 a week.......computer makes it worse......gym makes it feel ok for an evening......... dont know what else to do!

Starting to get a bit down about it really.

My back was operated on when I was 15 Im now 25. Still have titanium rods and fusion of lower spine.

K
X

Abbi
5th November 2006, 02:59 PM
Hi K! Welcome to SSO! :welcome: Sorry to hear you are in pain! I hope that something can be sorted out for you soon! I have shoulder and neck pain also, I am 14 months post op.

Where abouts are you from, and where did you get your surgery?

Abbi

Kelmisty
5th November 2006, 03:50 PM
Hiya

Im in Maidstone Kent now. But when I had my operation done I lived in Buckingham and went to the Nuffield in Oxford. The surgery was done by Mr Wilson-Macdonald.

I was warned to expect discomfort sometime in the future. But since leaving university and working full time, mainly on PC's I have developed pain in my shoulder and neck. Physio said my neck and top of my shoulder are taking to strain of the lower muscles not working fully. Seemed to be keeping on top of it for the last couple of months, until this morning that is. I woke up at 7am in agony, and it hasnt subsided yet.

Deep Heat - done, shoulder brace to keep my shoulder from sloping forward, on.......painkillers.....not working very well. Numbness in my arm and hand too.......feel so useless really. try not to let it get me down, but it does and I cant afford to pay for physio at the mo, as Im buying a house.

Thinking about buying a Tens Machine for pain relief..........as its now effecting my life and probably my work as if it doesnt ease up I dont think i will be at work tomorrow.

People just dont understand as they havent been there!!! :cry: :cry:

K
X

Amazed Jean
5th November 2006, 07:28 PM
Hello Kelmisty, Welcome to SSO. Sorry you are pain. I really don't think any of us are totally pain free. Surgery, bracing, casts, chiropractic adjustment,and physical therapy are all good things but remember they don't claim to cure the disease. We are fortunate if we find somethoing that eases the pain or at least makes it livable. I say try anything you think might work. But start out with the easy stuff like rest and heat and massage and pain meds. Keep telling your doctor about it. Remember though that so far we don't know of any doctors that have scoliosis themselves.

Abbi
5th November 2006, 09:34 PM
Aww...K, sorry to hear you are in so much pain! That really doesn't sound too grand! I'd keep annoying your doctors lots - 32 weeks wait for a physio is ridiclious!!! I kept annoying the drs about physio pre op, and told them I wanted to be put on the urgent list, it took a while but I got there!!

Ali - (littleali) was treated at the nuffield in oxford too by the way.

I hope you can find something to ease the pain, It really isn't nice to be relying on painkillers! :squeeze:

edit: TENS machines are quite good....I had one pre op, and it worked quite well.....
I am a huge fan of the hot water bottle - its a marvellous invention....helped me so much with post op pain!

Kelmisty
6th November 2006, 11:39 AM
Well I didnt go to work today - cant bear the thought of working on the PC for 8 hours.......too much discomfort today.

Went to see the doctor he doesnt really understand the condition, but has put me forward for urgent physio - probably take 6 weeks instead of the 32 weeks!
He also gave me a letter for my work to get them to get my desk etc sorted out to try and help me . Said my shoulder was acutely inflamed again, and gave me some pills.

But he did say it seems as if it is a condition that I will just have to learn to cope with!

Once the inflammation has gone down I will try to start swimming again.

Got to keep trying!

K
X :-)

titch
7th November 2006, 02:01 PM
It could be surprising how much dfference a decent workstation set up will make. I've got a monstrous chair at work that has almost every adjustment possible, and it literally made the difference between being able to continue working and not. It's definitely also worth - if you haven't had a test in the last year or so - getting your eyes tested. I know most people don't have such a fragile neck as I seem to, but even so a decent pair of specs makes all the difference for me with neck pain, upper back spasms and headaches.

I really hope you can get your physio nice and soon. In the meantime you might find it helps to get Deep Freeze and Deep Relief gels - I use the Freeze during the day on affected joints, and the Relief (which burns rather like Deep Heat - same company, different preparation and I find the Relief works far better as well as being easier to apply) at night - when you're tucked up warm in bed it maximises the burn.

It also might be worth asking your GP about whether it would be a good idea to take a low dose of an NSAID (ibuprofen, diclofenac etc) to help get the inflammation under control - sometimes they can help a lot.

Kelmisty
7th November 2006, 03:12 PM
Thanks Titch I have seen deep freeze around but wasnt sure if it would be any good.

Also looking into buying a Tens Machine.

K
X

titch
7th November 2006, 04:29 PM
I know it doesn't help if you've 6 weeks to wait, but if you can you may be better off waiting to see the physios before you invest in a tens machine - the reason is they're not all alike and the most easily available ones are the older type which may be a little less effective, plus to get the best out of them you generally need some help with where to put the pads.

Also, if/when you do buy one, it's possible that you'll qualify for VAT exemption on some models :-) ( http://www.physiosupplies.com/acatalog/TENS_Machines.html several of the models here have exemption)

Kelmisty
7th November 2006, 06:43 PM
Ok thanks - I think I will wait. Need to know where to put the pads and also if my rods will interfere with the effectiveness.

K
X

Joy
8th November 2006, 05:00 PM
Titch is right about the glasses - my necks been a lot better since I got glasses a few months ago!!

Kelmisty
8th November 2006, 07:24 PM
Will try this too.

Bought some deep freeze, seems to help a little! Just got to keep trying!

:monkey:

andyw
14th November 2006, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by titch@Nov 7 2006, 02:01 PM
It could be surprising how much dfference a decent workstation set up will make. I've got a monstrous chair at work that has almost every adjustment possible, and it literally made the difference between being able to continue working and not. It's definitely also worth - if you haven't had a test in the last year or so - getting your eyes tested. I know most people don't have such a fragile neck as I seem to, but even so a decent pair of specs makes all the difference for me with neck pain, upper back spasms and headaches.

I really hope you can get your physio nice and soon. In the meantime you might find it helps to get Deep Freeze and Deep Relief gels - I use the Freeze during the day on affected joints, and the Relief (which burns rather like Deep Heat - same company, different preparation and I find the Relief works far better as well as being easier to apply) at night - when you're tucked up warm in bed it maximises the burn.

It also might be worth asking your GP about whether it would be a good idea to take a low dose of an NSAID (ibuprofen, diclofenac etc) to help get the inflammation under control - sometimes they can help a lot.
What chair do you have? I have looked into a few different types costing from 300 up to 1500. It is alot of money to spend on a chair so thougt i would ask on here if anyone has bought a good chair that hepls them. I work for between 10-12 hours a day and after about 3 hours i am in agnony.

andyw
14th November 2006, 12:07 PM
Just started a new thread on the question above.

titch
14th November 2006, 12:32 PM
Just replied in above thread ;-) Didn't include the cost though - they are expensive, an RH400 24hr will be likely to cost around 1000 ex vat once you have the options sorted out. I can find you a link on where to buy them in this country if you would like :-)

Little Ali
14th November 2006, 10:00 PM
Ok...got a new one for you all!

My shoulders (particularly the right one, as usual) keeps crunching and kinda grinding :mope: Every now and again, it kinda feels like it's coming out of the socket a bit and both shoulders feel constantly achey and kinda warm and tingly :help: That sounds reaaally weird, but I know what I mean! I'm getting really worried and it may be more of a wheelchair user thing as I've put too much pressure on my shoulders for too long, but anyone had this before? :???: Any suggestions anyone? :squeeze:

By the way, here's a pic of my new work chair!! http://www.gerald-simonds.co.uk/acatalog/info_1_GS_PLE.html

mark
15th November 2006, 12:59 AM
Yes Alison

It comes and goes with me but the same feeling also traveses down my spine too

Little Ali
15th November 2006, 02:59 PM
Hi Mark!
Great to hear from you! I've missed chatting to you!

Stop calling me that or I'll run your toes over! :thwack:

Thaleias spirit
15th November 2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Little Ali@Nov 15 2006, 03:59 PM
Stop calling me that or I'll run your toes over! :thwack:
Ali, I assume you're reffering to the fact he called you by your full name?
Get used to it hun, cos he won't change. He's the only one I know that calls me by my full name too ...

mark
15th November 2006, 06:43 PM
sorry Alison as you know i'm a strictly old school gentleman door holding type

As Michele says you should have got used to me by now. By the way how is everyone sorry i have not been on msn for a while uni's taking up al ot of time and i work full time i don't get on as much. I hope alls well with everyone

Take care

Mark

Kelmisty
15th November 2006, 06:44 PM
If I move my shoulder around it makes clicking/crunching sort of noises, isnt painful but somethings makes a racket.

I get tingly, pains down my arms if I do too much PC work or over use my arms. Also get a bit of numbness occassionally.

Annoying really.

Little Ali
26th January 2007, 11:18 PM
Ok...I've really done it this time! I can hardly move my neck to the left or move my left arm up or sideways!! Definately feels like my Trapz muscle. It goes down into my shoulder blade and up into my neck. :mope: I had to get my friend to help me get my coat on and off earlier! :idiot: But they, like Dan said, at least it's preparing me for what's to come!! :nut:

I can kinda see the funny side of it though cos I don't even know how I did it in the first place!! :???: :P

tonibunny
26th January 2007, 11:37 PM
Yukky yuk :-( Mine's being a pig today too, but not as badly as that!

Have a hug :hug:

Joy
27th January 2007, 04:56 PM
Aww Ali, that sucks!! ((hugs)).

When my muslces get so bad I can't move my arms up, I usually lie down perfectly flat on my back, take a muscle relaxant and use a heating pad - it doesn't always work,but sometimes it helps. Does anything similiar help you? I wish I could help you more.

Little Ali
28th January 2007, 06:51 PM
Hi there,
It's all feelng a bit better now. I can move without being in agony now. I could hardly move yesterday! I even cried with the pain! :shock: I took it easy for a while and tried to move as little as I could. My dad suggested lying down but sometimes lying flat on my back makes my back worse when I sit up again!

I took lots of ibuprofen and got my mum to rub cream into it (she's good at that! :-) ) I also put a hot water bottle on it lots. It seems to have eased so, I'm trying not to strain it.

I think I've established how I did it now. I suspect it was my new chair at work that I haven't used for a while cos I had no cushion. I remember posting before about my shoulder joints 'cracking' after I used it before and soon after I've started using it again, I hurt myself. :idiot: I;m guessing that it's because it forces me to sit in a postion that my muscles don't naturally do and that's why it hurts. What d'ya all reckon?

I'm gonna ask my dad if he can adjust it for me but I only actually have another week left at work and as it's moulded to my back, I'm not sure it'll 'fit' me after surgery anyway! We'll see! :monkey:

GillyG
28th January 2007, 07:07 PM
Hi Ali :-)

I use those wheat bag thingies that you heat in the microwave for a couple of minutes to help with muscular discomfort etc.

Only problem is, when I put them to my back since I've had the op, I get all itchy - kind of deep inside - so perhaps the rods are heating up a bit too much! :P

It does still seem to help with the pain/discomfort though, so I think I'll risk the roasting :-D

Gilly xx

tonibunny
28th January 2007, 11:41 PM
Ooooh Gilly....I get that feeling too, which is why I don't like using wheat bags! I thought it was just me!! I have a theory that it's to do with inflammation. Oddly, hot baths work brilliantly for me though.

titch
29th January 2007, 09:20 AM
I love wheatbags as long as they're not over the rods because it feels like they get too hot, but the thing I really hate is sometimes my dear hubby will come in with freezing hands, give me a hug and pull up the back of my top so he puts his hands on the back of my waist and oh heck! Rod chill!!! It can be excruciating! It's also happened a couple of time in my upper back on a hot day if I've drunk too big a gulp of something really cold. It's a *very* disturbing feeling, although clearly harmless as I'm still here to tell of it :lol:

Little Ali
29th January 2007, 06:21 PM
Really? That's weird!! :-o I don't have any rods so I don't have experience of that.

I don't like wheatbags! Last time I put one in the microwave it stunk the house out for a couple of days. It was meant to smell of lavender but it just smelled like burned rice! :hammer:

GillyG
29th January 2007, 08:06 PM
You're not supposed to nuke 'em, Ali :hammer:

Little Ali
29th January 2007, 09:03 PM
:hammer: It was my friend not me! It was only a cheap one so I guess you get what you pay for eh? :-o

Joy
30th January 2007, 12:05 PM
That itchy feeling happens too me too if I put my heating pad in the wrong place - I have to keep it on my shoulder and away from my fusion, otherwise it just feels weird!! And I get itchy when it's cold out too! I'm not sure if it's the rods though or some leftover nerve damage or what.... it's definetly worse at the top of my fusion, but I can feel my rods there and I can't a the bottom of my fusion. Maybe the bottom bit of the rods is just better insulated.

GillyG
30th January 2007, 04:17 PM
Hmm, this is getting really interesting, although I can't help feeling a bit guilty for hijacking Ali's original thread - sorry Ali :oops: It wasn't meant to be like that - honest!!

I must just ask though, do people think it might be unwise for me to put these wheatbags to my back then? I'm 5 months post-op at the moment and they do give me some relief from the aches and pains, but I wouldn't want to find I was doing any damage further down the line.

If anyone wants to split this off from Ali's original thread, please do - I just don't know how (and would presumably need admin rights to do so anyway)

Thanks.

Gilly xx :kiss:

tonibunny
30th January 2007, 04:51 PM
I very much doubt they can actually do damage Gilly, so if they help you then do keep using them! :-)

Lucy7
30th January 2007, 07:13 PM
Yeah. I get that trapezius muscle pain a lot. I sometimes get to that really annoying stage like Ali did where somebody has to help me get a coat on (where does the humiliation end I ask...).

I use Mineral Ice cream available on the USA but there is a British equivalent because my UK physio wanted me to try it. Anybody know the name? Anyway, I get somebody to help me rub that on. Nightmare in winter cos it makes your whole body feel sooooo cold. But in a couple of hours I get back my full range of movement again. Then I have a hot bath to warm up again before bed. I find this works far better with my trapz. muscle than any lower back or hip pain.

Hope this helps Ali, Gilly and all of you with this muscle pain.

Take care,
Lucy

Little Ali
30th January 2007, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by GillyG@Jan 30 2007, 04:17 PM
Hmm, this is getting really interesting, although I can't help feeling a bit guilty for hijacking Ali's original thread - sorry Ali :oops: It wasn't meant to be like that - honest!!

I don't mind this being in my thread. It's all related and anything than can help anyone is always good! :bounce:

I'm still quite sore and am having trouble turning my neck. I forget I can't do it though and hurt myself!! :hammer: I've also been getting the occasional pins and needles and short sharp pains down my arm, which I've also had before with trapz problems, but it's definitely on the mend. I'm going to the physio on Thursday. It'll be my last one before surgery so I might as well go out with a bang. If they thought they were going to get away with t lightly...they were wrong!! :glee:

GillyG
30th January 2007, 09:16 PM
Thanks Ali, - you go and give those physios hell :glee:

I hope you won't be away for too long once you've had your surgery, I'm going to miss the banter :mope:

But on a much more serious note - I hope everything goes really well for you and you don't have too bad a time of things when you get out of hospital. It's great that Dan will be keeping us updated, it sounds like you've found a real gem there.

You take care :squeeze:

Gilly xx

Kelmisty
6th March 2007, 09:36 PM
Well a number of months on I am finally getting a desk assessment! It has taken almost 5 months for work to arrange this!!!

I have an appointment with the work doctor next week! I'm sure they dont believe me.

My boss even said what ae you going to do if this doesnt get better?? Could have swung for him!!!! How dare he think I cant do my job because I have shoulder, neck and back problems........ they are made worse by the fact he hasnt sorted my desk assessment out for 4 months! HUman resources said he cant say things like that and if need be working at home may be something we have to consider, if need be.

Sooooooooo angry!

GillyG
7th March 2007, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Kelmisty@Mar 6 2007, 09:36 PM

My boss even said what ae you going to do if this doesnt get better?? Could have swung for him!!!!
If it wasn't for the sore shoulder!!!! :glee:

Sorry, couldn't resist that one!

I think it's disgraceful that you've waited so long for this assessment, and as for your boss, it sounds a bit like harassment to me. Are you in a union? If so, it might be worth letting them know about all this as it could be classed as discrimination.

Hope all goes OK, keep us posted.

Gilly xx

titch
7th March 2007, 04:00 PM
Oh that is infuriating!! You're quite right, as long as it is "reasonable adjustment" they have to work around you, and enable you to continue.

Mind you, I work for a human rights organisation, and after the offices were refurbished it was immediately clear that the new desks were unsuitable for me. We were supposed to have assessments within a fortnight of being moved back there, but it took 6 weeks and the department head complaining to get it done. I was immediately assessed as needing a different desk, told it would be with me within a few days. Was it heck! Took over 8 months, with my team leader and department head fighting for me all the way to actually get it, and it was really only when my dept head started pointing out that I could sue them (and possibly even implying that I would) and how bad this would look considering we're human rights, that they actually bothered to do anything about it!

Anyway, rant over. Fingers crossed for everything to go well, and as Gilly says, keep us posted!

GillyG
7th March 2007, 06:22 PM
I know exactly what you mean, Titch. Our labs were all refurbished while I was off having my surgery and guess what? Most of the benches in Blood Bank are too high for me to work at!! :-o You're meant to either stand at them (some chance!) or use these really heavy, high bar-stool type thingies which you can wheel into place but as soon as you sit on them, they lock down for safety, so it's impossible to adjust them to be just where you need them!! Although the benches are lower in the Haematology lab, they aren't actually wide enough to accommodate the computers properly, so you end up kind of twisted round to use them, not a good idea when you're not supposed to twist your spine while it's fusing!! :woe:

OOPs, sorry, went into rant mode there for a while! :soapbox:

Kelmisty
8th March 2007, 04:51 PM
Desk assessment tomorrow

Work Doctor next tuesday.....had to take my x-rays to show my boss I wasnt lying!!!!!!!!!!!!! pathetic!

Oh well......Im getting a dog tomorrow LOL

:monkey:

Little Ali
11th March 2007, 04:25 PM
Good luck with the desk assessment! :niceone:

Kelmisty
14th March 2007, 09:13 PM
I have had my desk assessment......... and have been to see my work doctor......she wants my gp to refer me to my specialist to get my shoulder checked out as its a concern to her.....(join the club!) But my doctor would rather give me more painkillers!

Desk assessment told me to use Access 2 Work......they do assessment and refund 80% of the costs over 300......work has to pay for it too! How long that will take I dont know......but I have been classed with a disability........my boss is still being funny with me..... :hammer:

Little Ali
18th March 2007, 02:33 PM
:P to your boss!! :thwack:

I used Access to Work and they took about 6 months to get their backsides in gear. It was worth it in the end though.

Amazed Jean
18th March 2007, 07:09 PM
I am sorry for all of your various work problems. It never ceases to amaze me that people try so hard to shall we say "not notice" what is going on?
And then its a bit enlightening to hear that its not just people and government here in Oklahoma that is sooo sloooow.
What can we do to wake up the world? Get copies of our xrays printed on our shirts so then others would know where we are coming from?

Little Ali
21st March 2007, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by amazed@Mar 18 2007, 07:09 PM

What can we do to wake up the world? Get copies of our xrays printed on our shirts so then others would know where we are coming from?
What a fantastic idea!! I'd be up for that! :glee: