PDA

View Full Version : anybody know?

frostieman
1st August 2006, 07:06 PM
:P Hi everone,
Before I go pushing for surgery I was wondering if anyone knew any non-surgical methods for treating congenital scoliosis. Im fully grown so I dont think bracing would have any affect. I was already ripped off through the Copes foundation scam, so I was hopeing someone knew first hand a method that causes results....Thank you......Frostie :monkey:

gerbo
1st August 2006, 07:20 PM
I do not think that there is anything that can permanently and structurally improve a scoliotis curve once there is no growth left.

I could imagine that various physical therapies might just help with coping with the effects of scoliosis, maybe improving your posture a bit in the proces, so that surgery might be less desparately needed. In the same way, something like the spinecor (I believe) could be of some help, but once again, do not expect any structural improvement from it

sins
1st August 2006, 07:33 PM
I'm afraid not Frostie.
Once you're fully grown, there's no scope for improving a congenital curve.Bracing is not as effective as it would be for idiopathic scoliosis in children.
I suggest chatting to your surgeon about how stable your curve is.If is is not increasing and you can live with the cosmetic aspect of scoliosis, then there may not be a need for surgery.
On the other hand of you feel that you need a cosmetic improvement, or the curve is continuing to get worse, then we'll be happy to share names and addresses of scoliosis surgeons in ireland with you.Also you need to decide if you want the surgery done in Dublin or back in the USA.
Sins

Amazed Jean
2nd August 2006, 10:46 AM
Hello and welcome to SSO. I'm Jean and live in Oklahoma -USA. I have 3 curves 150, 88, and 55. I am also older than dirt at 55. I have never had anything done to my spine. I do not reccomend that idea. My spine continued to progress and now I am on Oxygen full time and wear a bipap to sleep. My heart and lung function are both compromised. I really love SSO. The people here are a great support system.

frostieman
2nd August 2006, 11:11 PM
:monkey: Hey Jean,
Thanks for the message jean. Thats terrible your on oxygen full-time. Will that be permanent? Also, will you be going to surgery for help? (P.S. 55 is not old as dirt). Bye Bye :P

Little Ali
2nd August 2006, 11:22 PM
Some physio therapists may be able to help slightly with your posture but I don't think they'd probably be unable to 'fix' it. I'm kinda in the same situation.