PDA

View Full Version : First post-op appointment

BlueIce
28th July 2004, 11:51 AM
It's actually been a month since my surgery and friday I'm going back to see my surgeon. I already have a few questions for him, like what my curves are right now, what material he used and what parts were fused, what I can/can't do,... But this is my first surgery (I've never even been in a hospital since my birth, almost 20years ago, except for visiting other people) and I'm really not good in thinking of questions before I go see a doc. Usually the questions start coming up after I saw him.
So is there anything you know of that I should definatly ask?

jfkimberly
28th July 2004, 12:43 PM
First, CONGRATULATIONS! I trust you're feeling a lot better today than you felt a month ago.

Second, it sounds like you've already got a good list of questions started. What I would recommend is that you sit down with pencil and paper and if there's anything you've been curious about, write it all down so you don't forget it when you're in to see him.

In addition to asking about restrictions, see if he can tell you about how long you should avoid those activities that you're not supposed to be doing. Also, if you've been having pain that you think is more than you should be feeling (or that you cannot control), you might bring it up with him to see if he has any recommendations.

So... other than boredom, how are you doing?

BlueIce
28th July 2004, 05:19 PM
I'm doing quite well. I even went shopping with my mum (which I NEVER do because somehow we always end up having an argument about something) just to get out of the house :-) It still hurts a bit when I go out for a while, but I can live with that and try to rest as much as I can before and after I go outside.

sins
28th July 2004, 06:21 PM
Best of luck on Friday.
It seems like everything is going really well for you and if you can handle a day's shopping with your mother you're well on the way to recovery!!

Blair
28th July 2004, 06:28 PM
Congrats on the 1 month anneversary!

When I had my surgery, I was forbidden to leave the house except for my appointment. Granted, I promptly disobeyed that one little rule... (It was Christmas.... And then my best friend's future Sister in law's surgery was fast approaching, and they wanted to know how I was feeling, plus the boredom was just KILLING me). It sounds like you are doing very well!

At my first appointment, they took new x-rays. It was the first time I saw what my back looked like with all the metal and stuff. It was really shocking to me...
They gave me a list of restrictions (Don't even THINK of looking at a horse... LOL), lifted a couple of restrictions (such as the one about not putting my arms up higher than shoulder level), asked how I was doing as far as pain management, and also advised me as to how to treat the spot that my incision had opened up....

Marti
28th July 2004, 07:01 PM
Congrats!

I don't have much advice, as everyone before me pretty much covered everything. My first appointment was pretty much the same as Blair's, except I didn't get to see my xrays. If you want to see your xrays, make sure you ask!

BlueIce
28th July 2004, 07:08 PM
I'll ask for my xrays, I really want to see the difference (I'm hoping there's lot's, but it probably will with all the stuff added to my spine and all.. :-)) because looking at other people's xrays really isn't the same. I'm thinking of freaking people out with my xrays :-D whenever I mention my surgery most people get this painfull look on their face and don't seem to get that doctors can actually do this kind of thing.
I should think of a funny explanation for my scar too.. :glee:

Liv
28th July 2004, 07:50 PM
You still haven't seen a post-op x-ray?? I saw my "new" spine for the first time on a chest x-ray, 10 days post-op (this one is in my gallery). I couldn't believe how straight my thoracic spine was (note: I had a 85 thoracic curve) . I was in shock!

BlueIce
28th July 2004, 09:50 PM
I didn't see it, I only saw my surgeon for like 10 mins in the hospital (awake that is :-) so surgery not included). He came to see me twice, the other times it was someone else, but I didn't remember what his "title" was.. He had been there during surgery so he pretty much new everything too.

Marti
28th July 2004, 11:18 PM
I didn't see my xray for about six months... It's really cool to see your spine with all the instrumentation.

Little~shedevil~dee
29th July 2004, 01:05 AM
good luck hun let us know how its goes

Blair
29th July 2004, 01:41 AM
He He... I had to buy copies of my X-rays. They really freak people out. Particularly macho guys. It was great when i dragged my X-rays along with me to my last boyfriend's house. One of the girls was going to school to be a nurse and wanted to see them. But the looks on the faces of some of the guys who caught a peek was really priceless.

Liv
29th July 2004, 03:09 PM
:lol: Macho guys... :roll:

Good luck tomorrow, Leen!!! :niceone:

BlueIce
29th July 2004, 04:01 PM
Thanx! I've added a new question to the list: when can I go for a swim, because this hot weather is killing me and even if I can't swim outside (sunburn) it would sure feel nice to swim a bit

Liv
29th July 2004, 05:16 PM
Oh yeah, good question!!! I never asked that... I just went in the pool one month after my op, when I couldn't bear the heat anymore. It was in France, over 30C, and we had a private swimming pool! 8)

I didn't swim, I just floated to cool down..

mark
29th July 2004, 05:19 PM
Best of luck for Friday i hope everything is as it should be

BlueIce
29th July 2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Liv@Jul 29 2004, 05:16 PM
Oh yeah, good question!!! I never asked that... I just went in the pool one month after my op, when I couldn't bear the heat anymore. It was in France, over 30C, and we had a private swimming pool! 8)

I didn't swim, I just floated to cool down..
did you do anything to prevent sunburn? Swimming outside is much better than inside, but maybe my scar would freak people out :D

Liv
29th July 2004, 06:26 PM
Just put on the best UV protector you can find! ;-)

Blair
29th July 2004, 10:20 PM
I started going to lap swim a few days a week about 2 months after my surger. Nobody was grossed out by my scar. Curious, yes. But not grossed out. I was actually planning on starting earlier, but my incision took FOREVER to close up after it burst
But I would think as long as your incision is fully healed and you are careful getting in and out of the pool (no slipping on the deck either!) you should be fine to get in, float around a bit and get cooled down.

BlueIce
29th July 2004, 10:42 PM
yeah it's not fully healed i think. There's three places with a bit of a "crust" on it. But since he's probably gonna look at my scar, I'll just ask for his opinion on swimming :-)

BlueIce
30th July 2004, 01:18 PM
I'm back from the appointment. At first i was annoyed, I had to be there at 10.30 and went in at 11.20 and the chairs in the waiting room sucked.
But then I got to see my xrays, my bottom curve which was around 50 is gone and the top one went from 64 to 20. I don't know anything about this but this seems very good so I'm happy with the result :-)

mark
30th July 2004, 01:27 PM
Sounds like your surgery has been a success fantastic news

Blair
30th July 2004, 02:15 PM
That is a really great correction! I think all orthpedic surgeons offices have their clocks set back an hour... When I had my appointment a bit over a week ago, I didn't get in untill 3 pm. My appointment was at 1:20!

sins
30th July 2004, 02:53 PM
That's an excellent correction Leene.......fabulous.
It's great to see yet another success story.
Sinead.

flutemwc
30th July 2004, 04:33 PM
Thats great Blueice.

Carly
30th July 2004, 05:56 PM
Good to hear!

Marti
30th July 2004, 07:13 PM
That's terrific! Except for the waiting part of course...

jfkimberly
30th July 2004, 08:17 PM
Congratulations on your correction, BlueIce! I'm sorry you had to wait for so long in the uncomfortable chairs, but you got good news after that.

Liv
1st August 2004, 06:54 PM
Brilliant correction!!! :niceone:

tonibunny
1st August 2004, 07:00 PM
Congrats BlueIce!!! That is really great news :D They get such good corrections during scoliosis surgery these days - it must be really encouraging for those awaiting surgery to hear about cases like this :-)

BarmyArmy
1st August 2004, 08:12 PM
Sorry I'm a bit late on this thread but wow :spin: that great news BlueIce :niceone: You must be so pleased :D