PDA

View Full Version : Fusion surgery recovery...

conni60640@gmail.com
25th July 2006, 07:32 PM
For those who have had this done, I'm looking to find out how Billy will be feeling in the weeks after surgery... how long in the hospital, what kind of complications have you had happen, when do they start feeling themselves, what kind of restrictions did you have on activity, etc... or ANYTHING you think might be helpful, that you had wished you had known prior to... Tick, tick, 20 days and counting, ugh...

newgirl
25th July 2006, 10:53 PM
Hi Connie,
I am afraid I have no advice what so ever for you but just wanted to wish you and Billy the very best of luck. In my very limited experience kids seem to bounce back from surgery much quicker than adults!
N

andrea
26th July 2006, 01:55 PM
Hi Connie

Like Nicola, I have no experience of surgery at this age (or any ages for that matter). Toni will probably be your best bet for personal experience, although she was a little older when she had her first fusion. From what i recall, she bounced back from it brilliantly. It's amazing how resilient children are. The nurses at Stanmore complain that they can't get the teens out of bed following surgery and they can't get the babes to stay in bed - just about sums it up really.

Hope everything goes well for you and Billy. I'm sure it'll be much harder on you than it will be on him. Keep in touch and let us know how it goes. :squeeze:

Andrea
x

tonibunny
26th July 2006, 04:08 PM
Hiya, my first surgery was a long time ago (20 years!) and I spent a lot longer in hospital then than kids do now, so I'm not sure how much I can help.....though the restrictions on a child will be pretty much the same as the restrictions on an teenager would be - no heavy lifting is the main one. Andrea's right, children do seem to bounce through these things really easily! I found surgery at 10 a lot easier to cope with than surgery at 18, even though the former was a lot more complex procedure.

Billy will feel very weak after surgery so some gentle swimming to help up his stamina would probably be a good idea. If it's hot, take a little hand fan into the hospital for him, cos it's miserable lying there sweltering!

I'll try to think of more things, but if you search in the main forum for general advice about prepping for surgery, I'm sure that there will be a lot of handy hints there :)

Good luck!

Toni xxxx

Joy
26th July 2006, 06:31 PM
He will proabably be in a lot of pain the first few days (I was, and I was 13), but it gets better everyday, it really does!! The restrictions will probably be the same as any teenager= no bending, liftng or twisting (BLT), no horse play, no sports (except swimming and walking) for 6 months. I must admit, I bent those rules a bit. But, I wouldn't encourage that because I hurt myself. I found the months 4, 5, and 6 to be the toughest, because I felt great but still had all these restrictions.

Other than that, look in the general forum for tips amnd try not to worry. I'm convinced the actual surgery was harder on my parents than it was on me! I'm sure he'll bounce back really quickly!!