PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm new

clarinetokc
25th July 2004, 10:28 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new here, and I'm just here to get some info., and to find some suport from ya'll because I have an 's' curve in my back , and last week I went to the orthopedic to find out what I would have to do about it. He told me that I would most likely have to have surgery, but that I may not, and that it was totally up to me and my parents. I just want to hear from someone who has had the surgery, and if it's really all that bad. I just want to make sure that I have made the right decision to go ahead and have the surgery. By the way, my major curve is at 48 degrees, and my minor curve is at 35 degrees. Hope to hear from ya'll!

BarmyArmy
25th July 2004, 10:47 AM
Hey welcome to our family :welcome2:

I'm sorry won't be able to offer any advice about surgery as my curve doesn't require any but there is loads of people on here that will be happy to tell you all about their pre & post op experiences. Jonny and Blue Ice had sucessful surgeries recently and are both doing really well.

How old are you and where abouts are you from? As you may have noticed we have a wide range of nationalities on this site which makes it's even better. I'm from Dundee in Scotland and I'm 28. I work as a part-time childrens bookseller.

This is a brilliant site for info or just to chat to someone that understands what it's like. I hope you have a great time here and I look forward to see you around the boards. :D

love
Leona
xx

clarinetokc
25th July 2004, 10:58 AM
HeyLeona,
Thanx so much for your reply. It's so good to know that there's someone else out there and that I'm not alone. I'm 15, and I'm from the US I live in Oklahoma. I am in my school band, and I play the clarinet for concert, and marching, I also play the tenor saxaphone for jazz band. I just love playing music, and that is a big part of my life. Hope to hear from others who can help me through this.

Thanx again, Carrie

BlueIce
25th July 2004, 11:00 AM
Welcome!

Tomorrow it'll be 4 weeks since I had my surgery, and to be honest, I didn't expect to be quite "up and running' so soon. Off course I watch way too much tv because I still have to rest a lot, but I expected things to be much worse. My curves were 60 and 50 degrees, and I had quite a lot of pain, so I believe surgery was the right decision for me. I'm turning 20 next week. I wouldn't wan't to go through surgery again, but that's probably a normal reaction. I found the second to fourth days after surgery the hardest. Once you're able to walk by yourself, things get better real quick and you really feel improvement every day. You'll probably feel lousy for a few days, but I have to admit that once I got home, I don't regret my surgery. My posture is soooo much better now, I'm happy I went through with it. It was worth the "bad" days (nights were the worst in my opinion) in the hospital, which I was in for 9 days.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

clarinetokc
25th July 2004, 11:06 AM
BlueIce,
Thanx for giving me hope. I feel much better now. I think I can actually go through this, but what should I tell my friends? I will be out of school for two months, whereas I usually never miss ANY school They're bound to notice. I just don't know what and how to tell them. Any advice?

Abbi
25th July 2004, 11:10 AM
Hey Carrie, Welcome! :welcome: I am only new here a few weeks or so, but I think your gunna like it here....everyone is so nice and are so willing to answer any questions you may have, However I cannot answer your question about surgery, as I havent had it.

By the way my name is Abbi I am 17, I live in Ireland, and I was diagnosed with scoliosis in March. I have been to a physio (which was great!!!) and I have been to see a consultant also! I am now waiting to go and see a surgeon in Aug (Aug 11)
so I will know what my curve is then...I really wish you all the best of luck for your furture.

Abbi x

clarinetokc
25th July 2004, 11:15 AM
Hi Abbi,
I wish you the best of luck too for your appt. in August. Let me know how it goes!

~Carrie

BlueIce
25th July 2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by clarinetokc@Jul 25 2004, 12:06 PM
BlueIce,
Thanx for giving me hope. I feel much better now. I think I can actually go through this, but what should I tell my friends? I will be out of school for two months, whereas I usually never miss ANY school They're bound to notice. I just don't know what and how to tell them. Any advice?
I chose to have surgery in the holidays. I had my results on the 24th of june and surgery was on the 28th of june. I don't have to go back untill mid september, I believe the 17th, so I didn't have to miss any school. My class knows I had surgery, and their bound to notice it because I grew a bit and I have a straight back which I didn't have before :-). Maybe you can do the same thing, that's something you have to discuss with your surgeon. If that's not possible, I'd just tell my friends at school what was going to happen, I'm sure they'll help you out. The first two weeks you'll probably don't even want to think about school, but after that you should be able to do some stuff at home at your own pace so you don't miss everything. Or maybe you can go to school, but not a whole day, ... That is something you can't predict.

BarmyArmy
25th July 2004, 11:20 AM
Hi Carrie I played the clarinet in our school band too :D I still play sometimes but I'm a bit lazy :ph34r: One of my musical heroes is Benny Goodman, that man was genius. :spin:

You'll be glad to know that there is loads of teenagers on this site so you will be able to get advice from people your own age as well.

clarinetokc
25th July 2004, 11:23 AM
That seems to make sense... just tell them. I'll do it, but probably when it gets closer though (I won't have the surgery until mid-January.)

thanx
~Carrie

Jonny
25th July 2004, 11:53 AM
Ooh, great, another musician! Heya :-) Yeah I scheduled my surgery so that my last exam was on the 25th (a month ago), I went in on the 5th of this month and will be, with luck, ready for school near the beginning of September. Got home Monday.

floralgypsy
25th July 2004, 12:30 PM
Hello, I had surgery at the age of 18, two months into my third year of college so I ended up missing about two months too. I don't regret having surgery as it brought my curve down from about 60 degrees to 24 and made my back look much better. If you do decide to have surgery and it does happen during your school year, then I wouldn't let that put you off. I actually did better in that last year of college after taking two months out that I had done in the previous two years. Having the operation changed my outlook and gives you plenty of time to study at home. I would also tell your friends yourself before you have surgery as they can help you through it afterwards. We'll also be here for you too.

Blair
25th July 2004, 12:59 PM
Hi Carrie! I'm 21 and had posterior surgery just before last Christmas to correct a C curve of 52 degrees.
My surgery went well, with almost 100% correction of my curve.
It wasn't all that bad- definitely worth it. I healed well, and got to return to normal very quickly. I even got to ride my horses 9 months earlier than expected!

Liv
25th July 2004, 01:03 PM
Hey Carrie,
I'm 21 and I'm from Belgium, just like BlueIce! I had surgery 5 years ago, but my curves were a lot worse than yours. I stayed 11 days in the hospital and I went back to school 2 months later, but I didn't miss any classes because it was the summer holiday (I hate to miss school too). I don't regret having the surgery, I can do anything I like (sports, dancing, etc) and I'm very rarely in pain!
WELCOME TO SSO!

sins
25th July 2004, 02:14 PM
Hi Carrie,I had my operation 21 years ago!! :welcome:
Hope you like it here.
Sins

Little~shedevil~dee
25th July 2004, 03:58 PM
hi carrie welcome to sso :welcome: :welcome2:

clarinetokc
25th July 2004, 05:23 PM
Wow, thanks ya'll. Everyone is so nice here! :D I feel so much better about my surgery. I feel as if there's more people out there just like me, and that someone out there that truly understands. Thanx so much!

~Carrie

Kayla
25th July 2004, 06:22 PM
hey Carrie whoa I am late on this but Welcome to SSO! how old are you? I hoep all turns well!

Little~shedevil~dee
25th July 2004, 06:32 PM
shes 15 kayla she said she was in her sencond message lol

clarinetokc
25th July 2004, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I'm 15. Thanx for the welcome!

~Carrie

clarinetokc
25th July 2004, 08:24 PM
What do you play Jonny?

~Carrie

jfkimberly
25th July 2004, 08:31 PM
Hi Carrie,
Welcome to SSO! You've probably noticed that most of the people here are from across the pond, but I'm not too far from you... in Arkansas.

I was born with severe congenital scoliosis, and I had operations at 10 months, 11 months, and 18 months to fuse my spine. Now I'm 30, and I am seeking an orthopaedic surgeon to see if I can get further correction.

Good luck with your consultation. I know you don't like the idea of missing so much school and music practice, but just about everybody I've talked to on here who has had surgery has said they were glad they did it.

Kayla
25th July 2004, 09:04 PM
oh sorry a little slow...

clarinetokc
25th July 2004, 09:38 PM
Thanx ya'll, I think that I'm going to stick with the surgery. I'll have to talk to my school to see what I can get scheduled for next year to see what I'll miss. I don't think it will be too bad. I just have to figure out what will work for me. I just didn't want to mess up my summer either, because it will be my first summer with my license! :P :D I think that the middle of January will be good too, because then I won't miss too many things with the cold weather. All I'll miss is the cold wait at the bus stop! lol

~Carrie

Jonny
25th July 2004, 09:41 PM
I play the violin (like a few other members but I'm sure they'd prefer to introduce themselves as doing so) and also the flute but I don't really like to talk about that one because of how useless I am. ;-)

It's going to take me a bit to get back into playing again but I'll make sure I do it. Playing hurts right now but it'll get better. With something like the clarinet it could be easier because of the position of the arms being more neutral, although if you have an anterior the lung thing might make it difficult. But you'll recover much, much better if you have strong lungs!

clarinetokc
25th July 2004, 10:00 PM
That's so awesome Jonny! I love violins! I play in an orchestra, and I just envy them becasue of how graceful they look when they play. The sound is also so beautiful. I play many duets with my best friend (she also plays the violin) Many of my other friends play the flute too. That is so cool. Keep trying, I know you'll eventually get to where you can play like you used to.

I agree I think it will be much easier to be able to play again after my surgery. My arms will be in a very neutral position. The only instrument I may have to postpone playing might be the tenor sax because for a while I can't lift over ten pounds. But I will eventually be able to get back to it.

I don't have any lung problems related with my scoliosis. The only thing is that my rib cage grew a little wacky because of the scoliosis, and so things are moved around a bit, but it doesn't effect my breathing, or lung capacity.

Good luck, and I hope you get back to playing! :D

~Carrie

Marti
25th July 2004, 10:25 PM
Welcome Carrie!
I'm one of the other violinists that Jonny mentioned. I'm also 15 and I had my surgery a year ago. I had mine in the summer because I really didn't want to miss any school. I'm also from the US (chicago). Anyways, welcome to our big, happy family!

clarinetokc
25th July 2004, 10:41 PM
Wow that's awesome, so many musicians here! This is so cool to connect with people just like me! Nice to meet you Martha. I also found out that Kayla lives in California. That's neat because that's where I was born. Close to San Francisco. I love talking with ya'll, and it has made me feel so much better about my surgery. Ya'll are so cool.

~Carrie

Carly
26th July 2004, 05:07 AM
Sorry I am late... welcome! You will love it here. Everyone is so supportive and great.... Nice to meet you and hope to see more of you!

Kayla
26th July 2004, 07:41 AM
I used to play the viola *blushes* kinda sucked though lol anyways how did you fine out I am from Cali?

BarmyArmy
26th July 2004, 09:51 AM
Could it be because you put California as your location in your profile Kayla? :D

Crazy16girl
26th July 2004, 10:46 AM
Hey, im 17. I had the surgery a year ago in august...i was so scared. REALLY scared. But its not as bad as i thought it would be. And im SO happy now. My advice is to go along with it, your kick yourself when your older if you dont! just think of all the nice clothes which will fit properly, being straight and in no pain!

My curves were 80, 40 and 22 but its odd, i had no pain before my surgery and hardly none after, i was off my pain killers 3 weeks after aurgery! x

andrea
26th July 2004, 01:22 PM
Hi Carrie

A bit late, but welcome to the board! I'm a bit different to the others as I'm mum to a little girl, Erin, who has scoliosis. She will be 2 in August and was diagnosed in May. She is currently in a plaster jacket to help her grow straight - there's a piccy in the gallery - and we'll find out soon if it's working.

You'll find loads of advice and support from the guys on the board - they're great.

Andrea

PS I used to play the clarinet, but it was so many years ago I wouldn't have a clue where to start with it now! I'm getting on a bit now :-)

clarinetokc
26th July 2004, 05:32 PM
Very cool ya'll, I love the viola too! In fact, I pretty much love every instrument! I would play them all if I could! :D But, for the moment I can only play the clarinet, ten. sax, and piano (a little). My cousin plays the viola, and my friend who plays the violin, she is now learning to play the viola too!

I did see your daughter's picture,Andrea, she's adorable!! That must be terrible for her though to be in a plaster jacket like that though! I hope all goes well.

I'm thinking about changing to have my surgery over spring break, not sure though. Still thinking about it. I get my class schedule Wednesday, so I'll be able to figure it out then, you know, depending on my classes. I also have orchestra, and C.O.D.A. band during January, that kinda is what made me want to change. I hope my doctor wil go alnog with it!! 8)

~Carrie

tonibunny
26th July 2004, 06:00 PM
Hi there Carrie,

Welcome to SSO! As you can see, it's very friendly here :D

I'm 28 and had infantile scoliosis, so I grew up wearing plaster jackets like Erin has now, as well as a sucession of braces and operations at 10, 18 and 26. They fixed me up brilliantly :) I'm yet another violinist......I even got together with Jonny a couple of months ago to play duets, as I also live in the UK! :D

clarinetokc
26th July 2004, 06:34 PM
Wow another violinist! This is so cool. I love playing. Like I said it was a big factor in deciding when I would have the surgery.

Wow sounds like you had a lot done to your back, but I'm glad it worked out for you. :rox: rock on ya'll!

~Carrie

Pikey
26th July 2004, 08:23 PM
Hi Carrie , welcome to SSO .I only had surgery on my back 28 years ago but i guess it will stick in my mind for all my life . I have led a pretty normal life since , including all sorts of sports .I have recently had neck surgery too , they put a new disc in. The operations are much more successful these days and the corrections are so much better too than they were when I was young .I hope you enjoy you stay here , chat soon .Take care , Pikey.

newbie04
26th July 2004, 09:12 PM
Hey Carrie, I'm Becky

clarinetokc
26th July 2004, 09:17 PM
Great! Glad you're here! :welcome:

~Carrie

BarmyArmy
26th July 2004, 09:28 PM
:wave: welcome to our family Becky :jump:

newbie04
26th July 2004, 09:38 PM
thanx

lindzi_11
26th July 2004, 09:42 PM
Hey welcome! I'm 15 too lol! :D

newbie04
26th July 2004, 09:46 PM
i'm turning 16 next month

Marti
26th July 2004, 11:03 PM
I'm 15 too! But I don't turn 16 till december...

clarinetokc
26th July 2004, 11:12 PM
I don't turn 16 until January! Ya'll are both older than me! :D

~Carrie

newbie04
26th July 2004, 11:13 PM
i'm so glad i'm older then u Carrie

Kayla
26th July 2004, 11:15 PM
im still the youngest :(

clarinetokc
26th July 2004, 11:16 PM
I guess it's cool, I'll just be begging you for rides constantly!!!!!!lol :D
~Carrie

lindzi_11
26th July 2004, 11:18 PM
I turn 16 next august lol. . i'm technically still 14 but i turn 15 august 11th

newbie04
26th July 2004, 11:18 PM
i told you i don't have my permit yet you do.

clarinetokc
26th July 2004, 11:21 PM
That is true, but I have to wait 6 mos. after I get it to get my licence, and you only have to wait 30 days!!!!!! You can pretty much get your licence 1 mon. after ou pass the written test, but for now, I'll be accepting your pleads for a ride!!!!!!!!!lol J/K :D

Kayla
26th July 2004, 11:23 PM
yah lindsay I love that joke I am 14 now but ill be 16 next year!

clarinetokc
26th July 2004, 11:25 PM
Nice

lindzi_11
26th July 2004, 11:28 PM
:oops: hehe. . . . i'm 15 soon. . i'm going into grade 10 in september lol

clarinetokc
26th July 2004, 11:40 PM
Yeah I'm going into the tenth grade too. How did you do that, Lindsay? Did you skip a year?

~Carrie

clarinetokc
26th July 2004, 11:41 PM
O nvm I get it now!

lindzi_11
26th July 2004, 11:53 PM
:D :D Haha yah lol. . my 15th birthday august 11th everyone! write in on ur calenders! lol! i won't be at my house though but leave me some messages if u want and i'll see them when i get back from. . .NEW YORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and also i'll my lil puppy MUFFIN!!! i'm naming it Muffin and my family likes it so boo yah lol thats the name haha~

Little~shedevil~dee
26th July 2004, 11:57 PM
i think i will leave my dogs name as skipper for now
i should be getting him in a week or two if hes better by then yay

clarinetokc
26th July 2004, 11:58 PM
LOVE the name. (That's the one I voted for BTW) I almost named my dog that, but we named her Athena instead. It seems to suit her. I hope you absolutely fall in love with your dog as soom as you see them!

~Carrie

Little~shedevil~dee
27th July 2004, 12:20 AM
i love then name athena isnt that a greek godess
well there was a godess called athena in the tv show xena warrior princess lol :-)

tonibunny
27th July 2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Kayla@Jul 26 2004, 10:23 PM
yah lindsay I love that joke I am 14 now but ill be 16 next year!
That's not so fun when you are 28 now but will be 30 next year :ph34r:

I'm enjoying being a 20something while I can!! :D

Little~shedevil~dee
27th July 2004, 12:33 AM
noooooooooo only 6 more years for me lol
talking about age the other day i said to my mum i was 23 she said no your 24 i forgot lmao :D

Marti
27th July 2004, 01:43 AM
hehe. Yeah Dee, Athena is the Greek goddess of wisdom and war. (we studied greek mythology this year).

hmmm... I'm 15 now, but I'll be 17 next year. Pretty cool. 17 seems old to me though, just because that means high school is almost over, so I'll stick with being 16 in about four months...

Kayla
27th July 2004, 04:44 AM
lol its weird to think I will be 16 next year time sure flies

Little~shedevil~dee
27th July 2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Marti@Jul 27 2004, 12:43 AM
hehe. Yeah Dee, Athena is the Greek goddess of wisdom and war. (we studied greek mythology this year).

hmmm... I'm 15 now, but I'll be 17 next year. Pretty cool. 17 seems old to me though, just because that means high school is almost over, so I'll stick with being 16 in about four months...
i knew she is wisdom but i didnt know she was war i thought ares god of war was war maybe i am wrong lol

tonibunny
27th July 2004, 12:28 PM
Athena was primarily the goddess of wisdom, but she was also the goddess of war. Ares was god of war too (specifically, he was god of warlike frenzy), so you're both right Dee :)

Little~shedevil~dee
27th July 2004, 12:37 PM
only reason i know so much about the gods is because i am a xena and hercules fan lol i like the guy who played ares god of war in xena kevin smith mmmmmm he was yummy lol

Marti
28th July 2004, 04:04 AM
the only reason I know anything about them is because we studied greek mythology this year and I (usually unfortunately) don't forget things easily at all.