PDA

View Full Version : going back to sugeon this week

joemor
11th June 2006, 11:16 PM
:angel:

Im going to my doctor again this week for the third time this year.
Im having pain and discomfort at night. I used to able to sleep on my sides but cant anymore.

Im constantly checking my posture thinking its changing. Im doing it more now becuase i have increased pain. August will make 2 years since my fusion.

I was told by my doctor that i could jump out of a plane after. I didnt ,lol but i did almost everything. I went back to my job that required lifting and also i remained active with workouts. I never talked to anyone before about their post surgery lifestyle. did anyone change thier rountine?
also what is the verdict on excercise yes or no?
im affraid this is causing me to curve a little post -surgery...the x-rays say the same degree which is 43.

I have a great surgeon but i really dont get clear firm answers on what i should be careful doing. I live in NYC and might have a third opinon if i dont get feedback from my surgeon. Im hopong i do, hes the director of the spine institute and helped
Gloria Estefan in teh 90's after her bus accident where she broke her spine..

thanx all for ur feedback, i feel not alone

mark
11th June 2006, 11:49 PM
Never feel alone Joe where always here for you

I'm glad you didn't take your surgeons offer on the jumping out of the plane thing too :shock:

I don't think ther's anyhting wrong with exercisin as long as your sensible about it, if your worried about the types of exercise your doing mention it to your surgeon.

It sounds like in good and capable hands though so try not to worry too much and let us know how you get on with him

sins
12th June 2006, 03:35 PM
Hi Joe,
You're doing the right thing and you certainly deserve answers to what's causing your pain.
Getting a second and third opinion is the way to go.I don't like to see post op pain being dismissed as "residual effects".
I'm not sure what to say about the exercises.I would suggest stopping weight bearing exercises for a few weeks and see if it helps.Just keep your aerobic fitness going and don't do road running.
One thing I've noticed is that surgeons have very different opinions of what you can and can't do post op.Some will be over cautious and tell you to "wrap yourself in cotton wool" and others will tell you that extreme sports are possible.I don't think anyone's ever got a satisfactory answer about that.
Please let us now what your consultation with the surgeon yields.
Sins
Oh I almost forgot.I had a consultation in 2003 to check for curve progression and increasing neck pain, many years post op.His diagnosis? Middle age!!!! and my insurance didn't cover any of it, so i paid a pile of money to be told I was middle aged :D

titch
13th June 2006, 01:14 PM
I agree that another opinion is the right thing to do. A couple of doctors well worth considering, as both do a lot with adult patients who have had prior surgery, are Dr Oheneba Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery, and Dr Thomas Errico (can't remember what hospitals, but I believe he can be seen somewhere in New Jersey as well).

As to exercise, as long as you don't overdo it before you're fused I'd say it has to be a good thing. I used to do a lot of weight training before my revision surgery, and it's one of the things I got permission to go back to quite early. As long as you're careful, it's just good to strengthen all those muscles, and is particularly good for your long term health. It was about 6 months before I went back to doing CV work at the gym though, and about a year before I started back with gentle weight training - I just wish I had the energy to keep it up, but with work as it is for myself and my husband, it just hasn't been possible for quite a long time.

Little Ali
15th June 2006, 11:20 PM
Good luck with your appointment! :squeeze: I hope your surgeon can give you some answers and help you out.

Mine's the same. Never gives me straight answers and it's soooo frustrating! :nut: Just make sure you're persistent and keep asking questions until he gives you some kind of useful answer!! You deserve it!