PDA

View Full Version : Saw the ortho - got a diagnosis

JJohnston
27th April 2006, 03:36 AM
It is indeed Scheuermann's kyphosis, as I suspected. There's wedging in 4 consecutive vertebrae, plus two of them are actually starting to fuse at the front. Interestingly, the ortho says the curvature is only 45 - only slightly outside the normal range, and not nearly enough to consider doing anything. I would have sworn it was a lot worse, but it may be due to the subjective way we see ourselves. The doctor told me to do things to promote/maintain bone health (exercise, calcium and Vitamin D), and come back in a couple of years for another picture. I have to jump through some hoops to get a copy of the X-ray, but I'll post it here when I get it. How do I get that long ("tri-fold" they called it) picture scanned and posted here?

And to those of you with higher degrees of curve: I guess I should quit complaining! ;-)

mark
27th April 2006, 10:59 AM
Hi

I'm really pleased that you haad such a positive experience at the ortho's. Lets hope your curves remain stable and by managing them in the way the Dr has adviced you they will stay at 45 and you never need to undergo any form surgical intervention.

Don't worry about complaining we don't see any post as that we all get down from time to time and its great we can all come here and post our feelings andthoughts that we would never otherwise be able to without the fear of being judged by anyone and get the support we all need. This is the best information and support site on the internet with a fantastic staff and owner.

Take care

Mark