PDA

View Full Version : Well.....Gerbo ?

Sealy
20th April 2006, 05:17 PM
I know you had the Spinecor followup on Wednesday, so.... what's up man ???? We want to know the ugly truth! :-o

mark
21st April 2006, 03:25 PM
I hope everything went ok gerbo

gerbo
21st April 2006, 06:09 PM
You see, the problem is, I am not easy to please. I think I should be very happy as the curve is now "holding" (inbrace) at 17 degrees, which is the same as the initial inbrace curve from 4 months ago. Considering that at some stage (6 months ago) we were looking at curves close to 30 degree, we must be doing quite ok.

However, I am well aware that that 29 degree could have represented a slight error in measure ment. Our prebrace xray in december was measured by mr mills at 26 degree, but by mr cole (the orthopaed) at only 21 degree, which would mean "only" a 4 degree improvement with the brace, which in my eyes isn't a dramatic improvement, which still makes me feel very vulnerable, with about 20 centimeters or more of growth potentially coming our way.

Also, what i didn't like was the "this is as good as it is going to get statement". Why is that? What is stopping a 17 degree curve in a young flexible girl from improving further :woe: :woe: ???? And if this as good as it is going to get, are we only going to look at the possibility of deterioration.

I know, i am stupid and should be told off for not being happy with the blessing of the current situation. Clearly so much better of than other people on this forum (feel free to tell me I am ungrateful :nutter: :nutter: )

will do some more reflexting over next few days

gerbo

sins
21st April 2006, 07:04 PM
Firstly Gerbo, you are not ungrateful!
You are simply looking for a cure as opposed to satisfactory treatment.Considering the effort, emotional and strategic,that you have put into the getting the best available treatment for your daughter, I can understand why you have high demands and expectations.
However, don't concentrate too much on "numbers".It's easy to get hung up on the magic "zero" degrees.
Try to concentrate on the positive and reassure Laura that she's doing very well.She's got a more comfortable brace,an improvement in her curve and a very favourable prognosis. Hopefully, the curve will hold and she'll avoid surgery.
When is the next appointment?
Sins

Sealy
21st April 2006, 09:33 PM
Gerbo,

I don't see why there shouldn't be further improvement with time. I am a little confused by the different intial measurements... i.e., whether it's 29, 26 or 21 ? Why such large variations ?

BeckyH
21st April 2006, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Sealy@Apr 21 2006, 08:33 PM
Gerbo,

I don't see why there shouldn't be further improvement with time. I am a little confused by the different intial measurements... i.e., whether it's 29, 26 or 21 ? Why such large variations ?
human error? there's that much publicised +/- 5 degree margin of error, thus meaning either end of that scale could be correct... but obviously 21 - 5 = 16 and 29 + 5 = 34. i probably just added to the confusion i think.

i agree with sins that it's easy to get hung up on perfection. you're doing your best, i think that's what you should aim for, not what a protractor says.

sins
21st April 2006, 10:17 PM
I agree, the variations are a bit puzzling.It may well be that she has actually showed some improvement from the time wearing the original rigid brace.I guess gerbo the question is do you notice a visible improvement?
Sins

mark
22nd April 2006, 09:06 AM
Your not being ungrateful Gerbo, your being a parent and being a parent is wanting the ver best for your children. Don't beat yourself up about the way you feel its only natural.

Things seem to be heading in the right direction (i.e. the curve is reducing) your doing a great job stick with it and try not to get too despondant.

Take care

mark

gerbo
22nd April 2006, 05:21 PM
Firstly Gerbo, you are not ungrateful!
You are simply looking for a cure as opposed to satisfactory treatment

thanks Sins, you're saying exactly the right thing there, it helps

Try to concentrate on the positive and reassure Laura that she's doing very well.She's got a more comfortable brace,an improvement in her curve and a very favourable prognosis. Hopefully, the curve will hold and she'll avoid surgery.
When is the next appointment?

yeah, that is what we are doing, and indeed there is such a world odf difference in how comfortable and therefore manageable the brace is, next appointment is in 3 months, this time with orthopaedic surgeon

I am a little confused by the different intial measurements... i.e., whether it's 29, 26 or 21 ? Why such large variations ?

ok celia, these are some of the figures and my interpretation; initial curve, june 2004 25 degree, follow up in oktober 2004 29 degree, decision taken to brace, which she started wearing in january 2005. Xray in brace, early 2005, > 21 degree, followup xray about sept 2005, this time without brace, > 29 degree again, further xray by mr mills (of spinecor) in dec 2005 26 degree (unbraced), however, mr cole (orthopaedic surgeon) thought that one was 21 degree (using a different vertebra), in brace curve (in a spinecor) then was 16 degree. So indeed from mid 2005 onwards we could have seen a reduction (although falling in margin of error). If anything, if there was an improvement, I'd like to think that that was through the torsorotationexercises, rather than from the tslo brace (which did not give a lot of correction)

I guess gerbo the question is do you notice a visible improvement well indeed, there are times we are looking at her back and say to each other;"can you see anything"?, but than we put that down to wishfull thinking......

also mark and becky, thanks for not telling me off for the way i felt, supportive remarks are appreciated :spin: :spin: :spin: