PDA

View Full Version : Matress shopping

Blair
16th July 2004, 03:52 AM
OK. My matress is ancient. Mom wants me to pick out a new one since I'm not sleeping well and waking up sore. I pretty much have free choice over what I get- I can get a normal matress, a waterbed, etc... Mom says "no expense spared, but be sure it's *THE* one I want".

Everything I've been told about backs and matresses say that firm matresses are better for you.
But my matress is pretty firm, and I'm not comfortable on it at all. It was OK before my surgery, but lately I've been waking up a little stiff and achey. And the firm matresses I've laid on at the stores are not pleasant at all

I have liked a couple of the softer pillow tops and also my sister's waterbed seems pretty comfy. But I'm worried that I'll pick something that is comfy at first, but then proves to not work well and we sure aren't made of money.

What do you guys use? Anything you would avoid?

Kayla
16th July 2004, 06:26 AM
avoid the waterbed they sink too much and it kills your back! the mattress my mom got me is wonderful I used to have a featherbed covering it too but it got ruined but its still reallly nice I dont know what it is I think sleeptherapy

jfkimberly
16th July 2004, 06:36 AM
I'm really lightweight, so what works for me might not work for the average person... but I like a relatively firm mattress with a thick pillow-top or featherbed type of surface. That way I get the structural support of the firm mattress with the soft wrap-around body-conforming cushiness of the pillow-top.

Right now, I'm sleeping on a futon (which has no springiness at all) with those foam "egg crate" pads on top. I would probably choose a mattress that gave me the same firmness.

titch
16th July 2004, 10:31 AM
I've got a pine slatted bed base with a pocket sprung mattress on top of it. I really hate so called orthopaedic mattresses - they leave me really sore and feeling like I haven't slept. I can just about cope with them if they have some kind of a topper that provides plenty of cushioning. It's all about it conforming to my body - foam mattresses work well too. But I really don't like being on a sprung base either - it kills my back because it tends to all sink, so I find a solid base and a soft, conforming mattress is the best way to go.

2c was really uncertain about the idea of the soft mattress, but he (with nothing wrong with his back) found that he slept better as well once we got it.

BlueIce
16th July 2004, 12:24 PM
tempur seems to be a good brand, at least that's what their commercials say :-)
I went matrass shopping last sunday and we bought one that isn't quite firm, but the lady from the store said it was a good one and so did my boyfriend. Seeing as how i am still sore from surgery i couldn't try it out that good. I don't know what brand it is, the only thing i remember is that it had "comfort-zones"...

floralgypsy
16th July 2004, 12:51 PM
The mattress I had before surgery was just a normal spring style with very little padding and I found that it was too soft. When I laid on it, I felt the springs dig into my back so my parents bought me a new one. I now have a medium orthopaedic matress which is brilliant. The best piece of advice I could give to you is to press the springs on the mattress and make sure that the nearby ones press down as well, because this shows that they are interlinked and will help follow the body's contours. Silentnight matresses with a "No roll-together" feature are perfect.

Kaja
16th July 2004, 04:39 PM
The tempur matress is AMAZING!!! Got it a few months before surgery, and it sure works for me :D Aaaah! *falls asleep by thought*

Liv
16th July 2004, 05:18 PM
I'm sleeping on a firm Bultex mattress, but I'm not sure if it's available abroad. It isn't very expensive and my back never aches when I wake up. But what's right under the mattress is also important.. Has anyone heard of lattoflex? (I can't seem to find the English word for it)

Why is there a double "t" in mattress? :idiot:

Kayla
16th July 2004, 07:18 PM
mat-tress lol anyways Kim those foam cushions I used to have n my bed because I got them free from the hospital :-)

Carly
16th July 2004, 08:10 PM
I have a Norskin from IKEA!! It seems to work well for me... and is well priced!

Little~shedevil~dee
16th July 2004, 08:26 PM
i realy need a new bed but right now i am short of cash last one i had ws realy nice .but when i moved in with my b/f i took it with me

his dad moved it with his van in the end we spilt up so i moved back home he wouldnt give it back unless i picked it up i dont drive no one else i knew did we made up in the end but i stayed at home i asked for my bed he told me hes got rid of it so i have on bed:( untill i get one i have been sleeping with my mum in her king size bed but i realy want my own

Lieve
16th July 2004, 10:25 PM
We sleep in an Auping bed, I'm not sure if it's everywhere available. It has a spiral mesh base in combination with a mattress consist of a latex inner comfort layer on top of barrel shaped springs. I found this on their website, otherwise I'll have got this never translated :surfin:

After years of sleeping on a bad mattress it is a relief to awake on this one. I'm quite happy with it but I must also admit sometimes my back is sore in the morning but less often than when I'm on vacation and on my previous one.

lindzi_11
16th July 2004, 11:28 PM
Yah i recently bought a new bed. I got a double bed and a better matress! :D

Little~shedevil~dee
19th July 2004, 12:15 AM
yay at last i have a bed coming i won it of ebay lol all i got to do is get some one to pick it up
maybe if i am nice to my b/fs dad maybe he will do it lol

Blair
19th July 2004, 01:01 AM
YAY! I hope you enjoy your new bed!!!!!!

I'll probably be bed shopping this week....

Little~shedevil~dee
19th July 2004, 01:05 AM
thanks hun it will be great to have a bed to myself lol i am getting an Double Z-Bed with Matress and it only cost me a 1
good luck with bed shopping

Little~shedevil~dee
22nd July 2004, 05:35 PM
why is it so hard to find some one who drives whenyou want one lol

Crazy16girl
23rd July 2004, 03:07 PM
I had to buy a new matress the other week because mine was hurting my back. My ones about 40cm deep (which is deep for a matress!) and its a 'stress-free' one.

It is comfy but i cant lieon my back for a long time (i use to be able to) because my left shoulder/top back really really aches.

Kayla
23rd July 2004, 07:28 PM
enjoy your new bed Dee!

Little~shedevil~dee
23rd July 2004, 09:33 PM
thanks kayla it will be great to have my own bed again
hopefully now my b/fs dad has stoped drinking (again)
he should beable to pick it up for me yay

jaedyn
26th July 2004, 04:08 AM
my mattress is just this enormous foam thing. there's all sorts of foam stores around that sell huge blocks that they can cut to any size.

it was great for me before surgery because my shoulder blade that stuck out like anything could sink into it. now it's comfortable because it supports my lower back, especially in the spot where the rods end and my lumbar spine curves forward a bit to compensate.

either way, they take a LOT of getting used to. they don't have anywhere near the texture or "springyness" that regular mattresses have.

Kayla
26th July 2004, 08:42 AM
ooo those are cool in the sample I just keep pressing my hand into it hehe I am skeptical about the whole mattress though kinda seems like your whole body would sink in and it would be bad for your back?

BarmyArmy
26th July 2004, 11:49 AM
We have a hard mattress which thankfully we got half price in a sale as it was supposed to be nearly 400. Before I moved in with Craig I actually slept on the floor for about 6 years, it was the only way I could get comfy. It took awhile to get used to sleeping in a bed again. :ph34r:

Marti
27th July 2004, 02:58 AM
I've heard that the floor is indeed very comfortable... but I don't think so. I have a little self-infalting mattress thing for the floor, but it drives me crazy, so I sleep in my bed. I don't know what kind of mattress I have. It's fine, but then again I don't really have much pain. I'm switching rooms in a week or so and then I'll have a big new mattress. I think my mattress is pretty firm, but I really have no idea.

that was probably as unhelpful as a post can get...

BarmyArmy
27th July 2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Marti@Jul 27 2004, 01:58 AM
I've heard that the floor is indeed very comfortable... but I don't think so.
Loads of my mates thought I was crazy for doing it but it worked for me. We got rid of my bed and bought a sofa bed for my room and that way if I had friends up they would have someplace to sit. I would sometimes sleep on the sofa bed but not very often. I basically had a evening routine of laying some sheets on the floor and snuggling up warm with my fluffy blankets and big duvet. It was a huge struggle to sleep in a bed when Craig and I moved in together, it took me months to get used to sleeping on a matress :oops: I still sometimes sleep on the floor if my back is killing me but since we don't have much space in our bedroom I end up sleeping in our living room, I always feel gulity though as Craig instists on sleeping on the floor with me. Despite the fact that it can't be comfy for him. Ahh true love eh :D

Abbi
28th July 2004, 11:49 AM
I just recently got an orthopeadic mattress, i think it nice to sleep on....i dont actually remember what my other one was like....cos i was away on my missions trip and i was sleepin on different matressess and when i came back i had a new one...but it is good, i highly reccommend it.....