View Full Version : New Member

11th April 2006, 01:06 AM
Well, first I would like to say hi to everyone. I sure am glad to have found this site. My name is Lanny and I live in southern Michigan. I'm 36 years old and I have Kyphosis. I became aware of it around 16 years of age but never really tried to do much about it until I was about 29-30. I researched it somewhat at that time...had some x-rays taken by a chiropractor and took them to a doctor at the University of Michigan. He told me that I didnt need surgery and that I would walk around like a stiff robot if I were to have an operation. He also mentioned the fact that he had only performed that type once before. I basically gave up on doing anything about it after that. Really wish I would have kept on pursueing it though. I have a son who is about to turn 16 yrs. old and he is getting the same curvature as me. It's very odd...becuase it seemed to have happened over a period a year for him. With this same thing happening to him now it has got me interested in surgery to straighten my spine again, and hopefully some answers for him also. I look forward to talking to everyone here and hopefully getting some more information on Kyphosis and possible surgery. By for now....Lanny ;-)

11th April 2006, 01:22 AM
Hello Lanny, first of all welcome to SSO

You have comr to the right site, we have a wealth of information on here for all forms of kyphosis and scoliosis. I'm sorry to hear the treatment that you have recieved from your Drs, but i must implore that you get your son checked out by a specialist orthopedic kyphosis surgeon who can give you all he options available to both yourself and your son.

We can give you all the info that both you and your son need as you both of your needs are different and if you are both to have surgery at the same time your family will need to plan ahead for it. But thats a long way in the future, theres loads of info in the forums and i hope they can answer a lot of your questions but don't hesistate to ask any thing. No question is a wrong question i just really hope we can help both you and your saon

Take care and once again welcome to SSO


11th April 2006, 08:33 AM
Hi Lanny & welcome to sso.

As mark said both your needs are different & it is crucial to get checked out by a specialist spinal surgeon who can treat kyphosis.

I too am 36 & had surgery to correct my kyphosis 22 weeks ago with fantastic results so you've come to the right place for information & support. There are quite a few of us who have had surgery who can all offer support plus many who are either waiting or don't want surgery.

Anyway, welcome again & we're glad you've found us.



11th April 2006, 12:01 PM
Hi Lanny and welcome.
I think there are another two or three Michiganers out there on sso.If your son is only beginning to get the curvature, perhaps you could see if having him braced is a possible option.
Ideally, you need to find a specialist surgeon who deals with kyphosis on a regular basis in your area and make an appointment for both of you.I'm not sure if there's a shriners close to you, but they usually treat adolescents free of charge, not sure of your son is too old or not.
Certainly it seems like you both need a good orthopedic assessment from a different specialist than the first guy you saw.
also, try the forum www.scoliosis.org (http://www.scoliosis.org) which has a solid american member base.they may be able to make suggestions for good adult surgeons.In the meanwhile,we'll support you as much as we can and be here for you.

11th April 2006, 12:50 PM

I think you had a lucky escape with that doctor! However, he should have known his own limitations and referred you to someone who actually knew what they were doing and could actually give you good advice on whether or not surgery is a sensible option.

I'm pretty sure Shriners will provide treatment up to 18 years of age, so they could be a good option for your son. You could use the Physician Locator at the Scoliosis Research Society site (http://www.srs.org/locator/) as a starting point to find a specialist. Quite a few of the surgeons on there only deal with children and adolescents, but there are plenty who deal with adults. When you have found some who you might like to see, you could ask for patiant's opinions of them at the forums sins suggested. Broadly speaking however, you are likely to do well with any surgeon who is known for their skills in revision/salvage surgery, as they will have all the skills necessary to deal with kyphosis in adults as well as younger patients. Some surgeons well known in the field of revision surgery include:
Oheneba Boachie-Adjei, New York
Thomas Errico, New York
Frank Rand, Boston
David Bradford, San Francisco
Serena Hu, San Francisco
Sigurd Berven, San Francisco

There are others who are known for their revision skills, these are just a few to get you started with.

Meanwhile, we're here for you. I'm sorry for the circumstances that have brought you here, but glad that you found us :-)

12th April 2006, 12:04 AM
HI again...Thanks for the info you guys. I will start looking for a specialist! If any michigan members know of a good surgeon around these parts feel free to write me. thx again....Lanny

12th April 2006, 12:21 AM
Hi Lanny, I'm afraid that I can't offer any more advice than the others have already given, but just wanted to welcome you to SSO :D


Toni xx

Little Ali
17th April 2006, 09:25 PM
Hi and :welcome2:

I hope you like it here!

18th April 2006, 11:59 PM
Try clicking on this link then scroll to the bottom and click it should take you to a page that should, if you type inyour details, find you your nearest Dr


Good luck


21st April 2006, 12:34 AM
Thanks Mark...very helpful! I have 4-5 specialist's names now that are all within a hour drive from me. Just need a referal from my regular doctor now. He had me go in for x-rays and I am waiting on those to come back.

22nd April 2006, 07:07 PM
Good news you must let us know the results when you get them :niceone:

13th May 2006, 06:15 PM
Hi again everyone...here is the information my gp got back from my x-rays. There were no measurments taken of the curvature, i'm sure the specialist will do this. Lumbar Spine: moderate narrowing of L4-L5 intervertebral space, minimal narrowing of lower thoracic and upper lumbar intervertebral spaces with moderate sized anterior spurs, minimal old compression of T12 and L1 vertebral bodies with kyphosis and minimal levoscoliosis and facet arthritis at L5-S1 are seen. Thoracic Spine: small anterior spurs are seen throughout the thoracic spine. Old fracture deformities of lower thoracic vertebrae with anterior spurs and moderate kyphosis are again seen. Pelvis View: minimal widening of right acetabulum and minimal sclerotic changes are seen. Radiologist impression: 1. compression fractures of lower and upper lumbar vertebrae with moderate kyphosis and moderate sized anterior spurs with minimal levoscoliosis. 2. Degenerative disc disease or prolapse at L4-L5. 3. Facet arthritis at L5-S1. 4. Early degenerative changes of right hip.

Wow...I know its just my perception, but when I see myself bent over my spine looks very bad. I was surprised to see the words moderate and minimal alot in the descriptions. No sense in making judgements though, I will leave that up to the specialist.

by for now...Lanny

13th May 2006, 11:15 PM
I'm afraid to say that I'm a bit concerned by that radiologists report Lanny. You definitely need to get the xrays viewed by a specialist - one of the hallmarks of Scheuermann's is that at least 3 vertebrae become wedged, by a sort of collapse at the front of the vertebra, by at least 5 degrees each. From what you have written above, it sounds like this may be precisely what the radiologist has noted, but has reported as fractures.

I'm not a doctor, so of course I can't say that the report is wrong, but it does seem at least possible that while the actual changes have been noted, the reasons for them have been misunderstood, especially considering that your son has developed the same kind of curvature, and Scheuermann's is often hereditary. I think you should have a much clearer picture of things, and what treatment may be needed (if nothing else, physiotherapy may help with pain and discomfort, for example) after seeing a specialist. Let us know how it goes!

14th May 2006, 08:41 PM
Hi Lanny i have to agree with Titch on interpriting your radiologists report. I think you need to take to the results to a kyphosis specialist as Scheuermann's is definatly known to be hereditary and if its anything like my family the curve appears to become worse with each generation. I'm glad your now on the road to finding a solution but i do implore you to take your results to a specialist kyphosis surgeon/specialist and if you need any help in determining or interpreting any results then do not hesitate to ask the questions we will endevour to find an answer to it.

Take care


15th May 2006, 01:43 PM
Just thought I would pop in and say welcome along with a good luck. Around 6 months ago I had corrective surgery for kyphosis and scoliosis much like John. Hope it all works out :)

16th May 2006, 04:41 PM
Welcome to the site!

The people in here, due to past experiences too, are very competent in the subject.

If I was you I'd follow Titch's suggestion; try to find a competent orthopedic, even if it means travelling a longer distance. The ones who have checked you do not seem too familiar with spinal conditions, and least of all with Scheuermann's.