PDA

View Full Version : surgery next week

collin41899
5th April 2006, 07:03 AM
I am new to this site but so i was just wondering a few things. I am a 17 year old male with a mild case of scoliosis and a bad case of kyphosis. I am getting surgery next week in pihladelphia at shriners hospital. I was wondering if anyone that has gone throught htis surgery could tell me a little about it. ALso about recovery. How long before you can do normal things? Are there any activities that You will never be able to do again? Any help would eb greatly appreciated. THanks,
COllin

zerodegrees
5th April 2006, 09:50 AM
Hi Colin :welcome2: glad you've found us. Just in time by the sounds of it!

I'm john (36) & I had surgery for scheuermann's kyphosis 22 weeks ago on October 18th. There are quite a few of us who have both had it & waiting to have it & I'm sure they'll introduce themselves & give you their experience.

What do your curves measure? Mine were 80 kyphosis & 70 scoliosis. What kind of surgery are you having (ie 2 stage same day, 2 stage one day, one stage?). Let us know & someone will have had a similar surgery to yours.

I had 2 stage on one day which consisted of thorascopic anterior release (keyhole surgery thru the side) followed by posterior fusion from t3-l3. If you search the threads you will find everyones experience of surgery.

here is the link to my own experience.

http://www.scoliosis-support.org/modules/i...9&hl=my+surgery (http://www.scoliosis-support.org/modules/ipboard/index.php?s=&showtopic=2489&hl=my+surgery)

Your surgeon is best placed to answer questions about what you can do but basically most of us will be able to do everything we could do beforehand! Some things just take a little bit longer, though if you like doing bungee jumping then I think you might have to give that one up!

At 22 weeks I am much better & nearly ready to go back to work. As you are much younger your recovery will be much quicker & also your pain levels will be much less hopefully. Phil & Andy have just had their surgeries in the past few months and are coming along fantasically too.

Anyway, we will attempt to answer all your questions in the next week & we're here to support you no matter what.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

john

mark
5th April 2006, 10:02 AM
Hello Collin Welcome to SSO theres a lot of experience of Kyphosis surgery on the site as John says the best person to answer your questions would be your surgeon.

Phil, Andy, curvy and Sally have also had surgery so they may be able to offer you some more advice. Take it easy and good luck with your surgery i am sure everything will go to plan. I hope you stick around and post your surgery exerience when you feel up to it. Its great to see we are building up a wealth of knowledge and experience on the site which may help others who having surgeries coming up.

Once again welcome to the site

Mark

flump
5th April 2006, 09:31 PM
Hi collin! :wave:

Welcome to SSO, Im fairly new here myself - joined in February. I have found everyone incredibly helpful, and have gone from being completely terrified to gently reassured. My surgery is on 18 April in Nottingham, England. If you'd like to keep in touch we can share recovery stories!

Take care

Catherine

Little Ali
5th April 2006, 11:17 PM
Just wanted to say hi and :welcome2: Hope you like it and find it helpful here!

They're a lovely (if not slightly crazy) bunch!

Jonny
6th April 2006, 02:24 AM
Welcome to SSo Collin :wave: I've been the youngest male member since the site was founded, so if you're not going to be 18 this month, I'm not the youngest :D

I had my surgery in July 2004 for moderate scoliosis and mild kyphosis, and it was successful (eventually: there was a rare complication). I'm now fused and feeling great.

I'd have thought that a month post-op you'll be doing some day-to-day things comfortably if carefully, and after two months you'll be doing most stuff and there shouldn't be much pain left at all. It will take at least six months, though, before you can relax completely and go off and kick a ball around without worrying.

Ultimately, though, it's always worth it - it's so worth a couple of months of restriction if you get a lovely straight back, cessation of pain and comfort for the rest of your life.