PDA

View Full Version : KYPHOSCOLIOSIS...

M.Magudulela
31st March 2006, 04:24 PM
Ok, Iím a little confused. (this sounds a bit stupid)

When I was diagnosed for the first time(5yrs ago) I was told that I have congenital kyphoscoliosis with two thoracic curves of 79 and 80 degs. The Xrays taken before surgery showed that the curves were 80 and 90 degs. When the Dr measured the curves after op he did two sets of measurements (for scoliosis and kyphosis).
FRONT XRAY(pre-op) 80 & 90 degrees
(post-op) 60 & 40 degrees

LATERAL XRAY (pre-op) 90 & 80 degrees
(post-op) 65 & 55 degrees

This is where I get confused. Does this mean that the front xtray is the scoliosis and the lateral one kyphosis???? I didnít ask Dr Jakes because I thaught I understood this but Iíve never seen anyone here with two sets of measurements.

Thank you.

Maria

mark
31st March 2006, 10:52 PM
Hi Maria

I wish i could answer your questions but you've got me stumped i just someone else can answer it for you. How are things going for you i hope alls well with you.

gerbo
31st March 2006, 11:22 PM
I'd think that a "front" (AP or PA) xray shows the scoliosis whilst a lateral (sideway) x ray would allow you to look at the kyphosis

gerbo

Marcilo
3rd April 2006, 07:00 PM
My Doctor told me same Kyphoscoliosis, what I have come to comprehend is with "Kyphoscoliosis" one has higher degree of Kyphosis and accompanying Scoliosis.

In my case Kyphosis is around 50 degrees and there is some degree of Scoliosis.
For measuring Kyphosis they do Lateral X-Rays or the Side x-Ray as Kyphosis is not visible front to back. Scoliosis is visible from front to back