PDA

View Full Version : Tramacet?

Maggie
27th March 2006, 03:24 PM
I pulled a muscle in my back on Friday night which is so painful and today I went to the doctor who perscribed this does anyone have any experience with it?

mark
27th March 2006, 04:13 PM
Hello maggie the link below explains about the drug Tramacet

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100005067.html

Maggie
27th March 2006, 04:24 PM
Thank you Mark! That link was very useful!

Thaleias spirit
27th March 2006, 08:43 PM
I used that for a while myself but had to change painkillers.
It's a pretty good one so hopefully it will ease your pain Maggie.

Maggie
27th March 2006, 10:40 PM
I have noticed that its a good painkiller. I'm on ibprofen for my scoliosis pain at the moment I'm thinking of asking my doctor cam I switch to tramacet because ibprofen just isn't doing the job.

Abbi
28th March 2006, 01:33 AM
Seems like a good painkiller - it contains tramadol - and tramadol....boy its the busniess.....is very good for pain! hope u get relief quickly :squeeze:

sally333
28th March 2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Maggie@Mar 27 2006, 08:40 PM
I have noticed that its a good painkiller. I'm on ibprofen for my scoliosis pain at the moment I'm thinking of asking my doctor cam I switch to tramacet because ibprofen just isn't doing the job.
This drug did nothing for me but make me throw- up.
You really do not want to go on anything stronger then ibprophin as your surgery is coming up soon. The surgery is no walk in the park. If you start taking more pain meds now your body will build up a tollarence to them and that means you will require much more pain medication after you do have te surgery. I 'm not saying that it will happen to you but most of the time it does.

sally333
28th March 2006, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Maggie@Mar 27 2006, 08:40 PM
Another thing to think about is this. I don't know how your doctor works but my doctor will not let me take any nsads such as ibprophen or anyothers. Ibprophen after surgery can prevent the healing process of the spinal fusion. I dont know if you will have any fusions but it is something to think about. Also most people must stop taking that drug to weeks before surgery.

Jonny
28th March 2006, 06:23 PM
I'm glad you're getting the level of painkiller you need Maggie :-) I found tramadol to be ineffective in hospital, but it's a personal thing and your circumstances are a factor too.

I would venture, though, that if you find Tramacet ultra-effective and you feel like you could possibly come down a notch comfortably, have a think about co-codamol or co-dydramol - they are codeine or dihydrocodeine with paracetamol, just like Tramacet is tramadol with paracetamol, and are a little less strong and possibly less brain-fogging. They're still a little stronger than ibuprofen (co-dydramol more so) and they're not hard to get prescribed for you.

It is true, as Sally said, that it is possible to build up a tolerance before surgery, which is why it's as well to lower the dose (if you can) in the month or two leading up to surgery. Don't let yourself suffer, though - it's far more important to stay fit and active before an op, so take enough to make sure you're comfortable and active. That's why painkillers are such a good aid to recovery after surgery.

It's also true that NSAIDs have been documented to have a negative effect on bony fusion. This should be taken into account when someone's already at risk of non-fusions, that is, older adult fusion patients, smokers, and those who have had pseudarthroses in the past. However, if you're young and otherwise healthy, there shouldn't be any problem, even if NSAIDs are taken at maximum dosage continuously: I was given diclofenac then ibuprofen after my surgery and was solidly fused at four and a half months.