PDA

View Full Version : 12 week appointment

Phil
20th March 2006, 06:01 PM
12 week appointment today, will keep it short!

Arrived at hospital, see consultant who then sent me to have x rays. This was painful today and I could not get my shoes back on and no one would help me.
I was not chuffed!

Anyway, after that taking about half an hour, the x rays never seemed to end I went back to my consultant. He looked at the x rays and examined me, he stated as he thought fusion was taking a little longer to set in than he might have hoped. He expects full fusion in 12-18 months time. I asked what that means to me!

He said no restrictions lifted, he said I cannot use public transport, drive, go on long journeys, do any form of exercise other than walk, and not return to work untill he has seen me again. I asked when that would be, he said 10th of July!!!
That means I will be 8 months post op and still out of work. It also means i will drop down to half pay after 6 months which is another worry.

Those of you that read my LJ know the Prison service has left my career and return to work in my surgeons hands. I explained the full situation to him, he replied saying he will support my return to full duties... After 12 plus months post op.

He said everything else looked fine and i was progressing well although he told me to put on some weight!

I feel like i take one step forwards and two steps back. I have things organised for this month, next month and June, all of which he has pretty much said no to, which means my parents will not support me breaking his rules.

What I do however is a different matter.

sins
20th March 2006, 06:36 PM
:mope: :woe: Sorry Phil, am very disappointed for you! Not a lot else that can be said really.
Sins

Phil
20th March 2006, 06:39 PM
Not alot anyone can say or do I guess Sins, no worries though. Thanks :)

Thaleias spirit
20th March 2006, 07:48 PM
Am sorry to hear you didn't get the news you were hoping for ..
I know this is easy for me to say because I haven't been through the surgery yet but I'd prefer for the surgeon to be cautious and not lift restrictions and for you to recover fully and properly than him saying yeah sure you can do x,y,z and in a couple of months maybe start having issues and being out of work even longer again.

Still, it's not easy I guess when you feel ready to start doing things again and when your very confined.

Ugh, I wish I could say something better than that.

It would have been great to maybe see you before I had surgery
but your health and spine comes first. And if I start giving out after mine please refer me back to all I said here.

Take good care of yourself okay?

:squeeze:

Abbi
20th March 2006, 07:59 PM
Phil, I am sorry to hear that things did not good that well! Your surgeon is way too old school - 12 months, flip me! He is wrapping u up in cotton wool - quite literally! I was back to work after 5mths! At 12weeks, I was on a train in swindon - sat on the floor for 10mins as there was no seats - and I am fine!

But like you say, rules are there to be broken! ;-) (Don't tell your surgeon I said that :P)

:squeeze: I'll speak to u soon, I am always around on msn, or u can text whenever u wana chat!

flump
20th March 2006, 08:45 PM
Phil,

:-? So sorry to hear your news, is there no way you can do some kind of admin work at the prison service, until you are fully fit for normal duties. This might make a difference, if you can be at a desk, your surgeon may be a little more flexible.

Keep positive

Catherine

mark
20th March 2006, 09:14 PM
Phil what can i say man, i'm so sorry you did'nt get anything out of the appointment. Lets hope that the next one is when he lifts all the restrictions and you get back to a normal sort of life.

Thinking of you mate

Mark

Phil
20th March 2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks guys, as always you come up with the right things to say.

I've got a few other things going on in my life at the minute of which is keeping me happy. So i will not let this get me down. Ive got another god knows how many years of working so must smile :-)

Thanks all

mark
21st March 2006, 08:45 AM
Hi Phil

Its good to see you have got some other things going on and your happy. You've got a great positive attitude to your situation. Just try and enjoy your time off i know its easier said than done when you've been in so much pain but think of it this way its a great story to tell your gran kids.

titch
21st March 2006, 12:39 PM
Out of curiosity, are you taking any NSAIDs? Ibuprofen, diclofenac, naproxen being the most likely candidates? If you are, you should probably talk to your doctor about taking something else such as co-dydramol, co-codamol or separately taking paracetamol and codeine.

Fusion often does take longer to set in visibly in adults, so I really wouldn't be too worried by that. Also, you have lost one heck of a lot of weight, so he might be on to something. While putting weight back on may not be appealing, perhaps you would do well to think about what you are eating and whether there is anything that you can change in your diet to help with bone strength. A good magnesium, vitamin D and vitamin C intake will all help absorption of calcium and thus bone strength.

Other than that, while you have been given your orders and staying off work for longer isn't a bad thing and certainly you should be taking it easy, I wouldn't see any need to be *so* cautious as to be utterly bored ;-) Listen to your body - it'll tell you if you're ready to do things... roller coasters, weight lifting, that sort of thing wouldn't be a good move no matter how good you're feeling, but less strenuous stuff I think you'll find you can move gently back to doing naturally as you feel it's right.

Phil
21st March 2006, 01:04 PM
Thanks Titch, and Mark.

I am on no medication at all titch, except for iron. My diet is pretty good although i am still losing weight.

I still intend to carry out most of my plans, i just intend to watch myself a little more carefully. I had a good look at the x rays myself and based upon my little knowledge i could see no sign of fusion at all. This does not worry me though.

AN UPDATE: I called my surgeons receptionist in regards to the appointment in July and it being 8 months post op. My appointment had been rescheduled for end of May now. Bit better...

mark
21st March 2006, 03:39 PM
Wow you iron Phil :-D i don't even know where ours is kept let alone how to use it :hammer:

JJohnston
21st March 2006, 04:22 PM
Sorry to hear things are moving so slowly. If you get bored, go to the airport and set off the metal detectors. You'll be down to your underwear and the security guys will still be mystified. Tell them it's your "iron will". :lol:

DublinPauline
21st March 2006, 07:09 PM
It's a pity your restrictions are lasting longer than you anticipated. He is obviously being ultra cautious.
Hope this doesn't mean your trip to Dublin is off??

Little Ali
21st March 2006, 08:46 PM
Sorry to hear that your appointment didn't go well Phil. It's so frustrating bot being able to do things, especially if you feel able to :mope: Like the others have said, it's great that you have lots to keep you occupied.

Glad to hear about the appointment being a bit closer too :jump:

You're doing great so keep smiling! :squeeze:

zerodegrees
22nd March 2006, 12:34 PM
sorry to hear about the appointment iron man! Am v impressed that your hardly taking any painkillers. I'm still behaving like a junkie and swallowing them like sweeties! Have an appointment next week to try and come off tramadol though.

Obviously your case is different from mine but we are kind of similar surgery wise. Your surgeon seems incredibly cautious. As you know I started driving this week, had most of my restrictions lifted apart from heavy weights, roller coasters, bungee jumping etc. My surgeon supports a phased return to work in may which will be 8 months post op.

As for exercise, I am swimming 3 times a week & walking plus doing my physio exercises every day. All of these combined has seen me coming on in leaps and bounds recently. I would do what you think you can. My back tells me whats "not on"! Though I'm not saying ignore the experts which I'm not! (hows that for a get out?)!

Anyway, take it easy. I don't get half pay so worst case thats a wee bonus. We just get 6 months basic then zilch!

Cheers

john

Abbi
22nd March 2006, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by zerodegrees@Mar 22 2006, 12:34 PM
I'm still behaving like a junkie and swallowing them like sweeties! Have an appointment next week to try and come off tramadol though.

You are still on tramadol John? :-o Dude, that is a long time!!!!

andy_d
23rd March 2006, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Abbi+Mar 22 2006, 07:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Abbi @ Mar 22 2006, 07:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-zerodegrees@Mar 22 2006, 12:34 PM
I'm still behaving like a junkie and swallowing them like sweeties! Have an appointment next week to try and come off tramadol though.

You are still on tramadol John? :-o Dude, that is a long time!!!! [/b][/quote]
:-o :-o :-o

I took painkillers for like 2 days after my op, and haven't touched one since.....

I've had absolutely no pain since I had my operation....

http://www.psp-ita.com/forum/forum/images/smiles/banana.gif
http://figment333.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/nannaparty.gif

zerodegrees
23rd March 2006, 08:28 AM
Think cos I'm 36 & a bit older that we take a bit longer to get going again! I still have significant pain specifically left shoulder but recognise that its time to try a new painkiller. I can't go back to work on tramadol as the airline wouldn't allow it. If I did I would probably start telling the passengers exactly what I think & believe me that wouldn't be good!

mark
23rd March 2006, 08:45 AM
Yes John, i can just imagine you :soapbox: at some obnoxious drunk oik who think because he's of on his holidays he has the right to drink as much as he can and then abuse the crew.

Your right the young tend to heal quicker and feel pain a little less. Hope you start feeling better soon John and you can get back flying again

mark
23rd March 2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by andy_d+Mar 23 2006, 12:11 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (andy_d @ Mar 23 2006, 12:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Abbi@Mar 22 2006, 07:37 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-zerodegrees@Mar 22 2006, 12:34 PM
I'm still behaving like a junkie and swallowing them like sweeties!* Have an appointment next week to try and come off tramadol though.

You are still on tramadol John? :-o Dude, that is a long time!!!!
:-o :-o :-o

I took painkillers for like 2 days after my op, and haven't touched one since.....

I've had absolutely no pain since I had my operation....

http://www.psp-ita.com/forum/forum/images/smiles/banana.gif
http://figment333.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/nannaparty.gif [/b][/quote]
Hello Andrew

Nice to see you back after your operation i look forward to reading your surgery story.

sticktrix
23rd March 2006, 11:22 AM
Hey Phil!
Sorry to hear you're progressing slowly and that the doctor is being cautious, but I think in the long run it might be the right move.
That could be what makes a difference for you to heal completely.
Maybe it's a bit boring as it is, but if i was you I'd work on things to nurture your mind! Read some good books and try to walk as much as possible in order to at least keep your movements fluid, and ask the doc if it's possible for you to swim as John is doing, you'll be surprised at the benefits it might give you.
Also, you've just had an operation... isn't it time to nurture a bit your stomach too? How about a nice juicy T-bone steak (if you're not vegetarian that is) or a nice piece of chocolate gateux?
My mother always says the same thing: YOU REASON BETTER WITH A NICE FULL STOMACH!
Plus, try to keep your weight in check and try avoiding excessive loss.
As always, take care dude!
MARCO :rox:

JJohnston
23rd March 2006, 01:44 PM
Another vote for swimming here. I pulled my calf skiing this last weekend, and I spent a while in a pool on Tuesday. I was amazed that while I was hobbling on land, I could walk normally on it under water. I'm convinced it sped up the healing process; it's practically healed now, only 4 days later.

mark
23rd March 2006, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by sticktrix@Mar 23 2006, 11:22 AM
isn't it time to nurture a bit your stomach too? How about a nice juicy T-bone steak (if you're not vegetarian that is) or a nice piece of chocolate gateux?
My mother always says the same thing: YOU REASON BETTER WITH A NICE FULL STOMACH!

You've got me feeling hungry now Marco and its still 3 hours till tea :-o

curvy
27th March 2006, 04:45 AM
Hi Phil.

Yes, that must be such a dissapointment....all I can say is try to stay positive. Perhaps your Doc has given you a conservative time frame and you may heal faster than July.

Well I have my 6 weeks op so I will post an entry to let everyone know.

Hang in there,

Christina from California

:squeeze:

sally333
27th March 2006, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by zerodegrees@Mar 23 2006, 08:28 AM
Think cos I'm 36 & a bit older that we take a bit longer to get going again! I still have significant pain specifically left shoulder but recognise that its time to try a new painkiller. I can't go back to work on tramadol as the airline wouldn't allow it. If I did I would probably start telling the passengers exactly what I think & believe me that wouldn't be good!
Hi Jon-
I to am 36. Had the kyphosis surgery also. I am still on oxycodone and lor-tabs. People dont relize that some surgerys require a differet out look on how one heals. Kyphosis is different then scoli as you spine is totolly torked in a different position. Some as my self have over 30 screws and rods from my neck to my butt. Some out there have 5 screws and inches for rods. No one should be comparing pain and pain meds on here because every one is different.
My question is I have horriable left shoulder pain also. Keeps me awake at night and hurts to move my arm in anyway. This is also causeing havic on my neck. My shoulders are rounded foward. Not in the right place becasue of the kyphosis. I do have physical thearpy but it is making it worce. I was wandering if your doctor has said anything about your shoulder and what can be done about it. that is if it is caused by the kyphosis. I will be calling my dov tommorow. I have pain right at the top of the surgery now to and when i lay on my back the disc or vertabra pop. Do you have anything similure? I have bad spelling and am typing fast so excusse the mess of this note.

zerodegrees
27th March 2006, 12:08 PM
Hi Sally,

i have most of your symptoms! The surgeon said my shoulder pain was partyly due to the fact that during surgery your shoulder is practically hanging off! My pain is also on the side where they did the anterior release and apparently the rib spreaders that they use can cause significant residual pain. My shoulder pain keeps me awake at night too sometimes & if it were to disappear I would be extremely happy.

As for the shoulder being forward. I had that too. I have been doing lots of physio too & in particular have basically a large piece of elastic which I pull apart which helps exercise my shoulders & helps bring them together. I have seen significant improvement in my shoulder position since I started doing this exercise every day.

As I think I said in my earlier post swimming has greatly helped my flexibility & strength. Have u tried it? It was a real struggle at first with me just doing small stretches in the pool & building it up from there.

Interestingly I was also told that massage was ok so perhaps a qualified massage person might be able to help too.

hope this helps & keep well. If I discover any miracle cures for the dodgy shoulder then I'll let you know!

cheers

john
M

sally333
28th March 2006, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by zerodegrees@Mar 27 2006, 11:08 AM
Hi Sally,

i have most of your symptoms! The surgeon said my shoulder pain was partyly due to the fact that during surgery your shoulder is practically hanging off! My pain is also on the side where they did the anterior release and apparently the rib spreaders that they use can cause significant residual pain. My shoulder pain keeps me awake at night too sometimes & if it were to disappear I would be extremely happy.

As for the shoulder being forward. I had that too. I have been doing lots of physio too & in particular have basically a large piece of elastic which I pull apart which helps exercise my shoulders & helps bring them together. I have seen significant improvement in my shoulder position since I started doing this exercise every day.

As I think I said in my earlier post swimming has greatly helped my flexibility & strength. Have u tried it? It was a real struggle at first with me just doing small stretches in the pool & building it up from there.

Interestingly I was also told that massage was ok so perhaps a qualified massage person might be able to help too.

hope this helps & keep well. If I discover any miracle cures for the dodgy shoulder then I'll let you know!

cheers

john
M

John-
Thanks for replying.
I had shoulder problems before I had surgery. I was told that the surgery should have pulled my shoulders back when my spine was pulled straight. This did not happen. Were your shoulders bad before the surgery?
I also believe that the PT guy went way over board with me from the start. He actually has me lifting 30 to 35 pounds on different machines. I believe this is really making the shoulder worse and causeing more back pin then I normally would have. I think I am going to have to stop going there. One doesn't go and start lifting 35 pounds the day after they were just allowed to lift up to a half gallon of milk. I do believe he was wrong and that he should have started me off with smaller things. Oh well will see how I do tommorrow,but it could be the lst time I go there. He gave me the elastic bands to use at home and about 14 exercises to do at home so I dont think I should be there.
I can also now feel every screw and the rods in my back with my fingers. When I lay down on my back its like laying on a sheat of metal after awhile and becomes very painfull. I also can't sleep on my sides as you know the painfull situation that creats. Fix one problem and make another worse.
I have to be back to work by April 19th. Im not sure if I will be able to.
If I am up for to long the back of the shoulder mussels get very sore and bottom of neck its like I struggle to hold my neck up. Does this also happen to you?

zerodegrees
29th March 2006, 08:19 AM
Hi Sally,

Sounds like your pt guy doesn't have a clue! There's no way (in my opinion) that you should be lifiting such heavy weights. I've only just had restrictions like that lifted & even then would be very cautious & reluctants to do it. Stick with the exercises at home & get to the pool!

It also sounds like you may need a review of your medication. Mine is monitored closely by my regular doctor & they generally work. Are you taking an anti-inflammatory? I still take diclofenac/voltarol (not sure what you would call it). Apparently an anti-inflammatory with painkillers is a good combination.

I don't have problem holding my neck up but after being up for a long time I get a lot of pressure (quite painful) at the top of my fusion. This again is quite common at the junction of the fusion.

I forgot to say the other day that my physio said that I should have a lie down for about 15-30 mins every afternoon just to take some of the pressure off my spine.

Remember that your surgery wasn't actually that long ago & we have to be patient. I'm only now turning some major corners but aint even thinking of work till maybe may/june.

hope this helps,

john

ps get yourself down for a massage (gentle one).

sally333
30th March 2006, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by zerodegrees@Mar 29 2006, 07:19 AM
Hi Sally,

Sounds like your pt guy doesn't have a clue! There's no way (in my opinion) that you should be lifiting such heavy weights. I've only just had restrictions like that lifted & even then would be very cautious & reluctants to do it. Stick with the exercises at home & get to the pool!

It also sounds like you may need a review of your medication. Mine is monitored closely by my regular doctor & they generally work. Are you taking an anti-inflammatory? I still take diclofenac/voltarol (not sure what you would call it). Apparently an anti-inflammatory with painkillers is a good combination.

I don't have problem holding my neck up but after being up for a long time I get a lot of pressure (quite painful) at the top of my fusion. This again is quite common at the junction of the fusion.

I forgot to say the other day that my physio said that I should have a lie down for about 15-30 mins every afternoon just to take some of the pressure off my spine.

Remember that your surgery wasn't actually that long ago & we have to be patient. I'm only now turning some major corners but aint even thinking of work till maybe may/june.

hope this helps,

john

ps get yourself down for a massage (gentle one).
My surgeon doesn't allow any kind of anti-inlammatory medication after a surgery like this.
I do have pain meds. I am just doing way to much and have been since I got home from the hospital.
Thanks again.

mark
13th April 2006, 08:00 AM
Hows it going now Phil, do you know when you can drive again yet. You need your car to get to work don't you.