PDA

View Full Version : Follow up appointment update!

zerodegrees
7th March 2006, 12:28 PM
Had my second follow up appointment yesterday @ QMC. Am now 14 weeks post op.

Everything went well & the surgeon is very pleased with my progress which is better than last time. The metalwork is still fine & nothing has moved.

The only concern is the numbness that I have. I have no sensation down my back about 3" either side of the scar but this is normal & will probably return. At the front I have no sensation from just below my left nipple extending down to the top of my groin (left hand side only). He said this is possible due to a screw causing a wee bit of trouble. He offered to do a scan plus going in for a look at the screw, however as it doesnt bother me we both agreed to leave it be. He did say that sometimes going back in for something like this can be more meddlesom than productive.

The loss of sensation really doesn't bother me & considering that I had a whopping 16 hour surgery & the fantastic correction I got then this is a small price to pay.

He lifted most of my restrictions & said to do more swimming/walking etc. He said I could think about maybe going back to work part time around may which is good news.

All in all I am really pleased with this. I'm still on loads of painkillers but hopefully I'll get these reduced once the pain subsides!

Cheers

John

ps You'll all be relieved to hear I've actually stopped watching star trek dvd's! I am back to being a normal human being!

Phil
7th March 2006, 12:44 PM
Nothing wrong with startrek my friend. Take it back ;)

Glad all is going well John.

RocketQueen
7th March 2006, 01:42 PM
Wow John! What a good appointment, No grumbles there eh? Whens ur next one? I was gonna say something else here but I have so totally forgotton what it is? x

Abbi
7th March 2006, 04:21 PM
Glad to hear your appointment went well John, and everything is fine! At....twenty something weeks hmm...*looks at calender* wow, 28 weeks post op, I still have numbness, though this may be more due to me having an epidural! The tops of my legs are numb, parts of my sides, and my back is too (round about were you are numb) this is normal like you say, and is a small price to pay for a straight spine!

The only annoying thing I find about the numbness is that after a shower you dunno if you are fully dry on your back (or I don't) sometimes I think I am dry, but turn around, and my back is still wet - its werid!

Anyways, I am pleased you're doing so well! :niceone:

Abbi x

sins
7th March 2006, 04:31 PM
Hi John,
Sorry to hear you're giving up your star trek Dvds.In Star trek terms you've gone "beyond the spinal frontier"... :P
Numbness is fine as long as it doesn't bother you.Even though I have no instrumentation in my spine there were areas of numbness of my lower leg and certain areas of my back are still numb, however sensation eventually returned to the bone graft site after 21 years.
Once you're fused though and able to lie comfortably, I would take up that offer to see if there is a problematic screw.
sins

Marcilo
7th March 2006, 07:41 PM
John, glad to hear that things are going well for you. By any chance did your Doctor talk about Driving and all?

Thaleias spirit
7th March 2006, 08:18 PM
John,

That's great to hear it went so well !
It must be a weight off your mind to be doing that well.

as to the star trek dvd's, I've started stashing up on dvd's already for after mine. I bought the original series of Ballestar Gallactica the other day :hammer:

Keep up the good work.

chele

mark
8th March 2006, 12:09 AM
Geat news John i'm really pleased things are going in the right direction

flump
8th March 2006, 08:51 PM
This is great news John, although i wasn't so worried about the Star Trek DVDs but more the Mariah Carey obsession!

Staff, staff I need more staff!

Catherine