PDA

View Full Version : New girl

lauram
22nd February 2006, 04:52 PM
Hi All,

Am new to the site. I am 29 now but had sugery when I was 2 for scoliosis. Not sure of the degree or anything. Will check records when I go home. Up until recently I have never had any problems. I have had two babies in the last two years and since christmas my neck where my curvature is, is really sore. Rang Dr Dowlings clinic as he done my sugery but not taking on new patients. Went to my GP and have to get x rays and she will refer me then. Who do you think I shoud be seeing. Am based in Dublin

Thanks

Abbi
22nd February 2006, 05:15 PM
Hey Laura! :welcome2:

I'm Abbi and based in Northern Ireland and had surgery 6 months ago for my scoliosis.
I am afraid I don't know that much about treatment in Dublin, but there are many other Irish members on here (Sins, Pauline, MOB and Chele) and I am sure they'd be happy to help you!

Abbi

sins
22nd February 2006, 05:21 PM
Hi Laura,
Sinead here from Cork.I had infantile scoliosis but had my surgery in Dublin in my teens.I had 2 children in my early thirties in close succession.
I guess Ashley Poynton would be ideal as he has an interest in adult scoliosis.Frank McManus is excellent but may be retiring this year and Damian McCormack is your other choice and he's fabulous with kids.
You can ask your Gp to refer you to any of the above.
On the day of the appointment,the consultant you choose will refer you for x rays anyway and order the ones he wants after he examines you.
I went with exactly the same complaints as you, neck pain.
I had a full spine x ray and a lateral neck x ray and a posterior neck xray which I have in the gallery.Take a look, they're interesting.
if your gp can get those x rays for you free of charge then go for it.
otherwise you can have them done through your consultant in mater private .
Alternatively your Gp can refer you to scoliosis clinic in cappagh.
I believe the waiting lists are quite civilised.
Oh yeah, I have degenerated cervical discs which I manage with antiinflammatories when it flares up.
welcome to sso and don't hesitate to ask any questions.
Sins

newgirl
22nd February 2006, 05:22 PM
Hi Laura and welcome to SSO
The consultants that are based in Dublin are
Mr Frank McManus
Mr Frank Dowling
Mr Damian McCormack
Mr Ashley Poynton
Mr Keith Synott

Mr. Mc Manus is retiring soon but I am sure one of the others would take on your case.

I am surprised that Mr Dowling won't see you because in theory you are not a new patient, although maybe he only deals in paediatric cases I am not too sure.

I am based in Dublin too but it is my 2 year old daughter who has scoliosis.
Nicola

MOB
22nd February 2006, 08:07 PM
Hi Laura,
Welcome to SSO

Im Muriel - MOB i had surgery for Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis in 1981 when I was 15. Mr Dowling did my op in Crumlin. I saw him again in the early 90s at the Adelaide hospital for problems below the fusion. Im based in Dublin too.

Little Ali
22nd February 2006, 09:16 PM
Hi Laura! :welcome2: Glad you've found the site! The people are lovely and will always help you with any questions.

My name's Ali, I'm 24 and have Spina Bifida with Kyphoscoliosis. I had a lumbar fusion when I was 12 and am now booked in for a Lamnectomy to untrap the nerves in the thoracic area.

Sorry about your neck pain. I get it too and it's not nice!

Hope you like it here! :wave:

Thaleias spirit
22nd February 2006, 09:30 PM
Hi Laura ..

I'm Chele and I'm 33 and in Limerick.
I'm due to have surgery in the coming months for my scoliosis.
I have a 155 degree curvature and early signs of myelopathy.
My consultant is Mr. Ashley Poynton.

This is the link for contact details for the consultants on the Mater (Private) Hospitals website. http://www.materprivate.ie/ConsultDir/consultdir.asp

Good luck and hope you get some answers soon

chele

DublinPauline
22nd February 2006, 09:35 PM
Welcome Laura!
I'm 39 and live in Dublin. I had surgery for a double curve, main one Thoracic, in 1979 in Cappagh and have a six year old daughter. Nicola has provided a comprehensive list of the scoliosis consultants. I have seen Frank McManus every two years for the past six years but he is retiring this year.
Your priority is to get referred on by your GP. The scoliosis consultant will specify exactly the x-rays they need based on your curve positions etc. If possible, try to get your full medical records from Crumlin or Cappagh before your appointment so that the consultant is fully informed of your history. (I've learnt from my mistakes. :roll: :-) )

mark
23rd February 2006, 01:33 PM
Hello and welcome, i'm mark from Bradford now living near Newcastle i'm 35 and have kyphosis.

I hope you enjoy the site and get a lot of useful information from it. All the ladies from Ireland are lovely so your in good safe hands.

:welcome2: