PDA

View Full Version : Trouble sleeping!

Phil
7th February 2006, 09:41 AM
Hi all, am having trouble sleeping but will include a bit of an update at the same time.

All is well pain wise, only taking medication when needed except for my iron.
Have been out and about taking things steady.

Only concerns regarding my spine is I keep leaning back and not noticing it. I found myself nearly falling back yesterday i was so far gone. Also right at the top of my fusion on the left hand side i get this burning sensation occasionally. My shoulder blades keep trying to come forward and attain there old position plus when i lay down my right lower side sometimes spasm's and nearly kills me with the pain. All in all though, not to bad.

Sleeping however, i woke at 4 this morning having gone to bed at 12. I seem to occasionally space out and get really hot. It feels like right after surgery when i was on the PCA morphine. It's weird but taking it's toll on me now. Giving me headaches and feeling generally rubbish. Had a blood test yesterday and i mentioned it. The reply was that my body is adjusting and to wait and see. :nutter:

In myself though i am fine, i still look in the mirror and see very little difference, i also keep thinking "its coming back". I know I'm not alone in this thought!

BeckyH
7th February 2006, 09:59 AM
my first guess at the burning pain at the top of your fusion would be nerve pain. when i was still in hospital, the very top of my leg thigh hurt a lot - it literally felt like the skin was blistering and i got quite panicky about it until my physio came back and helped me figure out what it was. that went within a couple of weeks, slowly disappearing. if that sounds a little like what you have, it could be that.

there's a fine line with spinal surgery between being cautious and panicking every time your body twinges. before i had surgery i was looking forward to forgetting about everything once it was done, but you don't tend to account for the paranoia you gain instead (stuff like: is my curve returning? is this pain because something's seriously wrong?)

so to get to the point, my first recommendation in this instance would be to monitor it - from your post you seem very aware of what your body is doing at the moment so it shouldn't be a huge problem

as regards sleeping... it's a bit different because you're in discomfort/pain but lavender always works for me if i'm having temporary insomnia. sometimes you get so worked up about being unable to sleep that it becomes a psychological problem and not a physical one

sins
7th February 2006, 10:55 AM
Firstly, I suspect your sleeplessness may be as a result of lack of routine.Changing from a defined pattern where you work at a set time to suddenly having all the time in the world is unsettling.Also there's the trauma of a major surgery which can leave you feeling a bit like you've just done a tour of a war zone for six months.
Just take a deep breath and acept that it's a temporary state of mind.
I know it's awkward at the moment because although you're doing well physically,you're not yet fully fit to get back to your normal pace of life.
mny people with scoliois who leaned to one side comoplain of feeling "crooked" when they stand up, so it makes sense that someone with kyphosis who leaned forward would tend to misjudge balance a bit when leaning back.It'll feel normal in time and yes your body will adjust.
Just hang in there and wait for your next appointment.
Sins

mark
10th February 2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Phil@Feb 7 2006, 08:41 AM
In myself though i am fine, i still look in the mirror and see very little difference, i also keep thinking "its coming back". I know I'm not alone in this thought!
I'm glad your starting to feel a little better Phil. And i am sure once things have started to settle down you will start to notice a difference where all here for you Phil never forget that you need to get things of your chest just post away

Abbi
10th February 2006, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Phil@Feb 7 2006, 08:41 AM
All is well pain wise, only taking medication when needed except for my iron.
Have been out and about taking things steady.

It's great that you are only taking pain medication when you need it - its best to get off the 'hardcore' drugs as soon as ;-) (I was taking tramadol up to 11 weeks)
What are your haemoglobin levels like now phil? I was taking iron up to 5 weeks post op (though I wasn't religious with it....nasty things) my levels were back to normal at 7 weeks.

I'm glad you have been getting 'out and about' again, I know how annoying it can be to be stuck indoors with not much to do!

I totally understand the burning pain, it can get really annoying! But I find that if you lie down, for a bit it goes away

Sleeping however, i woke at 4 this morning having gone to bed at 12. I seem to occasionally space out and get really hot. It feels like right after surgery when i was on the PCA morphine. It's weird but taking it's toll on me now. Giving me headaches and feeling generally rubbish. Had a blood test yesterday and i mentioned it. The reply was that my body is adjusting and to wait and see.* :nutter:

I can understand this feeling completely.....I was excatly the same after surgery, I would wake up every two -three hours...I'd be really hot and just restless! But it will get better! I actually found that during my times of really bad sleepless-ness I could get a decent sleep in the morning between 7 and 11 or so.....it was weird!
I think though the nurse was right, your body is adjusting, and as sins says you have been through major surgery, your body is 'up the left' its confused - the muscles have been moved to another part, and they are saying "hey, were lost here....we are supposed to be over there..." but soon your body will accept the changes and you'll be back to your old self again!

Don't worry phil - it'll get better soon :squeeze:

Lizzie89
10th February 2006, 06:13 PM
I know this may not be what you want to hear- or it might put your mind at reast i dunno lol, but the nurse is probably right. You body has gone through massive trauma and it takes quite a while to get everything straight again (no pun intended guys). This includes things like body temperature, sleep patterns, balance and loads of other things. Its sometimes hard to for-see that this sort of surgery may making your body feel bad for quite a length of time, and to undersatnd the stress it causes, i think mainly because you see the surgery as fixing you. Thinking of the surgery as getting hit my a lorry... and then lorry reversing and running over you again. REcovery will seem quicker soon, just keep an eye on it and stay positive :-) :squeeze:

mark
12th February 2006, 12:10 AM
I know its not the best but have you thought about seeing your GP for some sleeping tablets if only for the short term it may mean you get a proper nights kip

Summer Daisy
16th February 2006, 04:20 PM
With the whole sleeping thing, mine was completely messed up post-surgery, because my body was used to being woken at 2am every morning, as thats when my drip would be changed, blood pressure taken, tablets taken etc. When I got home I used to wake up and not be able to sleep again.

It's annoying but I just had to redo my sleeping patterns -- wake up really early to make me more tired by bedtime.

If you still have problems, getting sleeping tablets might be a good idea too!

xxx

Blair
16th February 2006, 04:47 PM
If you don't want to take sleeping pills, I've had good luck so far taking melatonin. My sleep schedule has gotten all screwed up, closing at work most nights- It takes me several hours to unwind after I get home, and by the time I can settle in enough to sleep, I only get three or four hours. I've taken the melatonin the past two nights and have done far better.