PDA

View Full Version : WORRIED OUTTA MY MIND

lindzi_11
5th July 2004, 07:48 PM
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=14] Omg i'm supposed to be getting surgeory sometime this september or october and i'm worried. Cuz god wutt if something goes wrong? Like I'm a very active person and if i'm paralyzed or something i won't be able to live that way! Like I've been through ear surgeory and after my back surgeory I need surgeory on my jaw cuz its a bit slanted and i just can't take it anymore. everything is wrong with me. And if something goes wrong with my back surgeory i won't be able to live with it. Like soccer is my life and so is waterskiing and basketball. And i've already been forced to quit snowboarding cuz its too "dangerous" Like omg sometimes i have a feeling something is going to go wrong. And i dunno wutt to think anymore. I know this is very confusing and i'm confused as it is. Like already i'm experiancing numbness in my hands and my shoulder tightens up. And i just don't know wutt to do. . . like all i want is my back to be straight so i can wear tank tops and halter tops and feel better about myself. But god wutt if something goes wrong. . . . .

floralgypsy
5th July 2004, 08:09 PM
You'll find that there are many success stories on this site and that the majority of people have come through brilliantly. Yes, there are risks with spinal operations, just as there is with any form of surgery, but the medical advances should reassure you that the risks of paralysis are small.

DublinPauline
5th July 2004, 08:18 PM
Hi Lindzi
It is normal to be worried about spinal surgery - I know I was when I had my fusion 25 years ago and I would be if I needed revision surgery now. There are loads of people here who have been through the same thing (many in the past year or so) and now leading very full lives so don't fear, there is definitely life after a spinal fusion! I'm sure you'll be able to keep up your activities but do have a chat with your consultant to clear this up.
Pauline

BarmyArmy
5th July 2004, 08:27 PM
Hi Lindzi :welcome:

I'm sorry that you're having a bad time but you'll get so much advice and comfort from the members on here. You're going love being part of our family :D I've never had surgery so I can't offer any wise words of wisedom but a lot of my friends on here have and will be happy to tell you about their experiences.

Try to relax and focus on all the good points about surgery, just think that soon you won't be in so much pain and you'll be able to wear the type of clothes that you want. :-) Yes it's stresful and you're unsure about the future but if you worry too much you're just going make your health worse.

I hope to see you around the site and remember if you have any questions, no matter how, small just ask. :-)

Pikey
5th July 2004, 08:39 PM
Hi Lindzi and welcome to SSO , it's nice to have you here . I had surgery back in 1976 when techniques were not as good as they are now .I guess i've had 3/4 of my spine fused .After a couple of years I was back to playing football and I continued to play to about 3 years ago. I started skateboarding about 18 months after my Op and went into all the British championships and even helped design skateparks .What i'm trying to say is that it may sound really bad now but you will come through and go back to what you did before . Yes you may have to take a bit more care but you will just get on with your life .Look forward to the Op and look at is as a positive thing , without it you would end up getting worse and not being able to do much at all .Life always seems to suck sometimes , it's up to you to turn that around and we here at SSo are all willing to help .Take care ,Pikey

lindzi_11
5th July 2004, 09:26 PM
omg guys thx for bein there 4 me u can add me on msn if u want :D

BarmyArmy
5th July 2004, 09:32 PM
Sorry Lindsay but I never use MSN as I take ages typing up what I want to say. :ph34r: This lot were always trying to get me to join in with MSN and chat rooms but it's not worth the hassle :oops: My forte is discussion boards with edit functions :D

BTW my name is Leona, I'm 28 and I live in Dundee,Scotland. I'm the only Scot on this board :-) . I'm obsessed with hockey and my live revolves around books.

lindzi_11
5th July 2004, 09:40 PM
hey Leona........ i love hockey too lol

BarmyArmy
5th July 2004, 09:49 PM
Hurrah more hockey fans :jump: :jump: I'm struggling to convert my mates on here, I'm a Ducks fan and my other half supports the Leafs. Which team do you follow?

lindzi_11
5th July 2004, 09:56 PM
Well I like the New Jersey Devils and the Maple Leafs or Tampa Bay. . . my 3rd cousin plays on the New York Rangers i think his name is Jeff Toms. ~*~Lindsay~*~

BarmyArmy
5th July 2004, 10:28 PM
*squeals in mock horror* Noooooooooooo not the Devils. They beat my Ducks in the Stanley Cup finals last year. Me -> :twak: <- Martin Brodeur

That&#39;s cool that you have a relative on the Rangers :niceone:

lindzi_11
5th July 2004, 11:05 PM
Haha. . yah another one of my more distant cousins was on the ducks team. . his name is Denny but i dunno his last name lol. the devils rock lol&#33; :glee:

Blair
6th July 2004, 03:29 AM
Hey Lindzi... It&#39;s tough not to worry. Trust me, I worried my way right into bombing my last term of school....
Yes, it&#39;s a stressful, worrysome, scary time. But you&#39;ll be OK.
I had my surgery back in December and was told going into it that I could expect not to be able to ride my horses for a full year.
But I came out of my op so well, I was back riding by three months, and now I have no real problem heaving around 50 lb bags of horse feed at 7 months post op.
Before my surgery, I had some problems with tight shoulders/numb hands. They didn&#39;t get better from my surgery, but they&#39;re not much worse for it, and my back is straight.
My best friend&#39;s soon to be sister in law had her operation about a month after mine, and she&#39;s back to having zero restrictions now.
I also know a girl who had her surgery about a year ago... She had two world titles under her belt before her surgery (for curves both in the 90&#39;s or upper 80&#39;s) and is going back for another go at the championships this year.

Kayla
6th July 2004, 04:18 AM
Hey dont worry the spinal surgery is a breeze its sooo normal for you to worry but there are worse things out there I am sorry you have gone through so much but hey its life and we learn to live with what we have and appreciate our new experiences becasue we learn so much from it&#33;

My name is Kayla and I am 14. I live in California USA

lindzi_11
7th July 2004, 10:45 PM
thx you guys for bein there. its nice to people who understand&#33; :kiss:

jfkimberly
8th July 2004, 12:46 AM
I had surgery when I was less than a year old and a follow-up surgery before I turned 2, so I don&#39;t remember it at all. But I&#39;m proof that there is life after spinal surgery. Because I was so young when I was fused, my torso is a bit short and I have reduced lung capacity, but at your age, you shouldn&#39;t have to worry about that. I have no other complications. With modern medical advances, you&#39;ll find that it&#39;s a breeze. I had my surgeries back in the dark ages... 1974 and 1975&#33;

Kayla
8th July 2004, 07:36 AM
oh hush&#33; those are not the dark ages&#33;

ivanleg
8th July 2004, 01:28 PM
If they&#39;re the dark ages I must be prehistoric.
No smart comments you cheeky monkeys ;-)

Back on topic, hopefully Jonny&#39;s and BlueIce&#39;s experiences with surgery will help you get through yours Lindsay.

lindzi_11
8th July 2004, 03:36 PM
Yah i wanna know how they made out with the surgeory.

Marti
11th July 2004, 05:14 AM
I&#39;m just going to echo everyone else&#39;s words. My doctor said that I had more complications than most people, and all I had was a bad case of hip bursitis&#33; It was painful, but that was it. And now I very rarely have pain, and my back is basically perfectly straight. Plus, I have a gorgeous scar to show for it&#33; Basically, the chance of anything really awful, like paralysis or death, happening is practically nil. So try not to worry&#33; (even though it is, of course impossible)

BTW, I&#39;m Martha from Chicago and I&#39;m 15