PDA

View Full Version : A question from a new scoli mum

janem
27th January 2006, 10:48 PM
As the mother of a 15 year old girl who was diagnosed with scoliosis recently we have decided to go down the surgery route sooner than we initially thought in view of our dauhters 50 Cobb angle and the fact that her growth is not complete.She is having Anterior spinal fusion in early March at Stanmore.
My questions:
1. Any idea how soon she will feel comfortable playing the violin? She is doing GCSE music.
2. I will need to stay in or around Stanmore as it is too far to travel on a daily basis.I have been told you can 'rent' rooms for a small charge-does anyone have experince of this?
Thank You.

Phil
27th January 2006, 11:05 PM
Hello and welcome to SSO, we have many people here who have been to stanmore and been operated on there all of which seem to have had great care.

We also have a few who play the violin who have had surgery so that question can be answered for sure.

I had anterior and posterior surgery just over 6 weeks ago now, have not yet picked up my trumpet but feeling better and stronger each day. Again, welcome and may you get all the support and advice you need.

Enjoy.

BeckyH
27th January 2006, 11:11 PM
hi and welcome to SSO!

i had surgery at stanmore last july... i'm really curious as to who your daughter's surgeon is, just because i'm nosy.

i'm 18 so my parents weren't allowed to stay, but there are other members whose parents have and we also have several musicians around

the recovery with a 15 year old having a 50 degree curve fused anteriorly should be quite quick, barring any complications. i was fused T11-L3 for a 52 degree lumbar curve and i felt almost totally better by the end of october.

if you have ANY questions about surgery, feel free to ask me

Joy
28th January 2006, 01:19 AM
I had anterior/posterior surgery when I was thirteen, and I felt totally better by 4 months post-op. My fused curve was in the 80s, almost 90 when I went for surgery, and I got really good correction, though I'm not sure of the degrees now. Your daughter should recover quickly, unless there are complications.

About the violin, you should speak to Jonny or Toni. They both play the violin and both are post-op. I think there are a few others as well.

edit to add: I live in Canada, so I can't help you with finding a place to stay. Sorry.

andrea
28th January 2006, 10:26 AM
Hi there and welcome to SSO. Sorry to hear about your daughter. My own daughter is being treated at Stanmore (by a variety of different consultants at the moment due to the usual one being on sabbatical). We only go in for a day at a time, but we did stay overnight the first couple of visits and I had one of the rooms you speak of. I didn't actually use it because Erin was so little I didn't want to leave her. They are very basic, but i'm guessing you wouldn't spend long in them. I think they must be used by the mums of the adolescent patients as whenever we arrive really early they are already on the ward making breakfast in the kitchen. You can keep food there for making snacks and drinks,although the restaurant is pretty good and reasonable.

Alternatively, there is accommodation nearby, but i would imagine that you want to be close to the hospital, and for sleeping and washing, the rooms are fine.

I hope that helps. I'm sure the others will be able to give you advice on the violin playing.

Take care
Andrea

RocketQueen
28th January 2006, 11:38 AM
Here's praying you have got Molloy as well Mrs new person, hehehe. Just so far, i'm the only one on this whole forum under him and am desperate to find someone else who is. Lalalala Ok
Btw, Welcome, sorry for the "Mrs nu person" bit, it just sounded cute. This site is great I am awaiting surgery at stanmore about april time. I have no idea about renting rooms there, but if Marmyte is right, then I am sure u can stay in a near by b n b or something similar. :)
I'm sure other posters will be able to help u more, sorry. Ummmm, yes, who's ur surgeon? x

Oh btw, hi I am Emily, 20, scoli details in signature

sins
28th January 2006, 12:04 PM
Hi and welcome,
Im based in Ireland and have had surgery back in the 1980s.Jonny is the violinist and his mother stayed in the basic rooms in stanmore and he'll be happy to pass on the details to you when he drops by later.
Your daughter's curve has been caught in time so I think she'll have a wonderful correction and a straightforward recovery like Becky.
Sins

janem
28th January 2006, 12:41 PM
Thank you everyone for your great welcome and replies.
She is under Mr. Lehovsky .It has all been arranged very quickly (BUPA) to fit in with her year 10 work.She will miss about 4 weeks of school and then will have 2 week Easter hols.She must be the only person upset at missing her year 10 exams!
She is also a sprint hurdler and knows it will be out of the question for a while- any idea how long.She has the MRI scan on 13th Feb and we see Mr. Lehovsky the following week to go through operation details.

BeckyH
28th January 2006, 12:47 PM
so you're a private patient? i was too (very lucky to have BUPA cover through my dad's work)

really truly don't stress about school. the part of her education she's missing can be very easily caught up. we've had several girls of a similar age recently have surgery including Leia (thesatindoll) and Sarah (SummerDaisy) plus Lizzie who had surgery last summer

i've heard very good things about Mr Lehovsky - one of the nurses on my ward, her son had to have scoli surgery and she chose Lehovsky for him, always a good sign. the team at stanmore are excellent, they really know what they're doing

sprint hurdling... i don't know if that counts as a contact sport... bad news is if that's the case it could be a year before she does that again (sorry) but i've had one of the quickest recoveries on the forums - i was back on a horse at 9 weeks post op (with permission from my surgeon) a lot of it depends on how quickly a certain surgeon believes in lifting restrictions

Phil
28th January 2006, 01:45 PM
It also depends on the surgery itself. We've got the whole range of fusions here. It seems to have alot with recovery. I've been advised no contact sports for 2 years. It really does vary though, and hurdling i would not be to sure about. It will really come down to your individual surgeon.

sins
28th January 2006, 02:23 PM
It depends largely on the type and length of fusion that she'll have.I shouldn't think that hurdling is a contact sport, as long as she doesn't fall before her fusion is solid.I think always be guided by what your surgeon suggests.But judging by our forums here, a short anterior fusion seems to give a much faster rate of recovery.
Sins

Abbi
28th January 2006, 06:30 PM
Hi there! :welcome2: I am abbi, 19 and from Northern Ireland! I had an anterior release/posterior fusion 5months ago!

As many people have said stanmore is great for scoli surgery - the people are geniuses, so your daughter will be fine, and from her curves, she should get a brilliant correction! :niceone:

Abbi

Jonny
29th January 2006, 01:28 AM
Hiya - welcome to SSo :wave:

I had surgery July 2004 and March 2005 in Stanmore. I can't really comment on the hurdling thing but I can tell you about everything else!

I play the violin and my surgeon Mr Tucker identifies me as 'the violinist' - at every appointment he asks how the music's going. I was terrified it would interrupt my playing, and it did for a bit - when I got home from hospital I was distraught that I couldn't lift my arms high up enough to play without pain. After a week at home, I could stand to play for three or four minutes before the pain was unbearable, and after about three weeks I was totally back to normal with the violin. It doesn't take long :-) and that's with an anterior and posterior fusion and thoracoplasty. I imagine it's far easier than that with just an anterior fusion.

The other notable thing is that when you're sitting upright to play, suddenly the fusion holds you up straight and any previous pain from sitting up goes totally. It's bound to be awkward at first, but it gets so much easier so quickly.

tonibunny and Marti are both fused violinists - they can add to that I'm sure!

The accommodation - across the road from the Adolescent Unit is the kitchen block where Broccles restaurant is, and above there is the Kitchen Block Accommodation. The rooms are tiny (you almost have to get on the bed to make room to open the door) and bare, but there's a bed, sink and chair and a communal kitchen and fridge so there's everything you need to stay there comfortably enough for the week or two.

They ask for a donation of 50p per night to cover cleaning costs.

When you go for the MRI, pop into the Adolescent Unit and speak to the nurses - they'll answer anything we can't, and you'll both get a chance to have a look round the ward. It's just been refurbished and it's a really nice place to have the surgery (on the inside, that is - most Stanmore buildings look hideous!)

Hope that helps!
Jonny

Joy
26th February 2006, 11:45 PM
I was back to horseback riding after six months. I quit that but I am a distance runner and find that my back does not give me many problems directly related to running. I don't know about hurdling though, I think if she does it now she will be able to adapt after her fusion. I do have some pain issues, but running rarely makes them worse. As she recovers and gets back into sports, she will get to know her back and when it is OK to keep going despite some pain and when she needs to lay off and give her back a break.

Marti
27th February 2006, 06:19 AM
I also play the violin, but it took me a bit longer to play than it did for Jonny. I found it quite difficult to get used to playing while wearing the brace, so I didn't go back to real practicing for probably a bit more than a month. However, I'm also nowhere near as talented or dedicated as Jonny, so that could have something to do with it as well. :-) I do remember that I was able to play the piano the day I returned from the hospital, and I vaguely remember first taking out my violin about a week later, which would have been two weeks post-op. Come to think of it, the month off probably had more to do with not wanting to do any work over the summer than with difficulty playing.

tonibunny
28th February 2006, 11:19 PM
Hi Jane, and welcome. I can't really add anything else to what the other have said above, but just wanted to welcome you to the site :D

cowgirl87
12th March 2006, 09:25 PM
Hey! your daughter sounds much like me! I have been playing violin for 11 years, and i had an anterior fusion 2 years ago. I was back to playing after a month or so, but i started practicing for 15 mins and worked back up. i did sit down while i played, and that helped. as far as running goes, i just do everday joggin and i was seriously back to that after 4 or 5 months, and horseback riding after 8. (it would have been alot earlier if my mom handnt insisted on waiting for the docs "official" permission) my incision was on the left side, so it was a little harder to play because i didnt want to straighten up! :joke: