PDA

View Full Version : 6 week appointment

Phil
24th January 2006, 12:04 PM
Thats right, had my 6 week appointment yesterday, got there at 2pm and see my surgeon and his understudy's pretty fast, he got me undressed, felt around and moved me around and admired his work. He was talking to his team but did not address me for a while. He then asked how i was getting on. I mentioned the pain i have in my lower back, an occasional sharp pain on the right when laying down and a more often dull ache. To be safe he sent me for x rays, they were fast done.

Got a bit annoyed with x ray assistant, she would not help me get my trousers back on yet would not let my parents in to help me. I just walked out and got help much to her disgust.

See my consultant and his team again, he brought the x rays up on his computer screen (all there x rays are on computer via a network) spent a few minutes looking and explaining to his team then told me everything was good. My pain must be muscular. From there i then mentioned about my shoulders moving forward to assume the original kyphosis position and asked if pysio would help any of these muscular issues.

Bad move, i then got a 15 minute lecture along with his team explaining he will only refer to pysio after 6 months if he has to but he finds basic fitness training such as swimming and cycling much more beneficial.

Note: to give him credit he's a nice bloke, very old school though!

Once my appointment was over with i went to medical records to see if i could grab my x rays, they wanted to charge me 40 for them. I knew this used to be the price for them all on film, now they put them on Cd or DVD I challenged the cost so there looking into it. (cheeky git i know)

That was pretty much it. It was a damn bumpy ride there though!

RocketQueen
24th January 2006, 12:13 PM
LOL. Glad it all went ok Phil. amused that u challeneged them about the price of ur x rays. :) Well done x

Phil
24th January 2006, 12:43 PM
Thanks Emily, forgot to say my next apoointment will be in 2 - 3 months. I thought this was a little long but no worries.

Well someone has to challange them, i'll bring my own disk in for them to copy it onto. Its certainly not labour costs cause the NHS does not pay that well for there admin staff!!

BeckyH
24th January 2006, 12:46 PM
sounds like it went ok phil. i wouldn't be worried about the timing of your next appointment: from what i know, the first one is to check that the fusion is beginning to take hold, they don't want to see you again for a while because there will be little difference.

i was seen at 6 weeks, then 12 weeks. i thought i'd be seen at 6 months too but at the 12 week one (which i was actually 14 weeks at, just to confuse you) my surgeon told me to go away and not see him again for 6 months :D

sins
24th January 2006, 03:29 PM
I guess if he's happy with his handiwork then it's a good result. he really does sound very old school though! Im looking forward to seeing the x rays when you get them.
Sins

mark
24th January 2006, 04:21 PM
Great news Phil sounds like your mending well

Joy
24th January 2006, 05:35 PM
My surgeon took a while to refer me to physio, too. I do fidn that keeping active helps a bit, it by no means eleminates pain but it doesn help with the 'achey-tired' feeling. Are you allowed to swim yet?

It's very good news that the fusion/metalwork is looking good!

Abbi
24th January 2006, 10:13 PM
Glad to see the appointment went well, and that everything is looking ok! I bet it was nice to get out and about again!

I can't believe they want to charge you 40 quid for x-rays on flim! I got all of mine on flim plus MRI scans for a tenner - good on you for asking about a reduced price!

oh, and about waiting another 2-3months is normal....my 6week appointment was when I was 8weeks.....and I will have my second next week...and I am now 5mths post op, so its about right!

The x-ray person sounds like a right prick...grr doesn't get know you cannot bend proper....!!!

anyways, I'll not rant....good to see your gettin on the mend ok! :-)

Little Ali
24th January 2006, 10:16 PM
Glad it went well Phil! :jump: :jump:

zerodegrees
25th January 2006, 01:06 PM
Phil, as u know I'm already at physio. I have the same problems with my own shoulders. They physio & doctor both said that its due to the amount of tissue that was but through which has put them into a strange position. Basically the muscles that pull them together have been severed. I have a special exercise to do which you obviously cant do yet, but even if you dont have physio apparently this particluar problem will rectify itself despite my doubts!

Hope this helps.

John

Phil
25th January 2006, 01:14 PM
I was told it should rectify itself but like you have doubts, im sure the pro's know what their doing!

Summer Daisy
25th January 2006, 10:44 PM
I started physio at only 3 week post op I think. I do hydrotherapy in the pool once a week. It's really nice actually!

I'm 6 weeks post op on Friday, but have been informed that I won't be having a 6 week check up. My first appointment with Mr Boeree (the surgeon) will be in March, at around 3 months/12 weeks.

My mum had a moan on the phone about this, and asked if it was because we were NHS, and was rather sharply informed this had nothing to do with it. I still wonder though...

What do you all reckon? Everyone else seems to have a 6 week check up.

xxx

BeckyH
26th January 2006, 01:35 AM
6 or 8 weeks is usually the recommendation, because by then the fusion should be STARTING to take hold *frowns* i think your mum is right to question that one... don't know what anyone else thinks

titch
26th January 2006, 07:25 AM
As it happens, the impression that I have is that the 6 week check up is more of a reassurance check up than anything else - so you can tell them if anything seems to you to feel odd or whatever. As far as I know, at that stage there's no fusion to be seen even in young patients, and in fact very little to be seen in any sense. However, having said that, it is a little odd not to be given a check up some time around 6-8 weeks. I can't imagine that it's part of a drive to catch up on a backlog (QMC for example have instituted a second morning each week of outpatients appointments to get through theirs) simply because there can't be that many people who've had surgery!

So in short, I think you've every right to be disgruntled about it, and do press for one if you feel you need it, but there's probably nothing to worry about by not having it.

Phil
26th January 2006, 10:55 AM
My 6 week checkup was exactly that, a checkup. As iv already mentioned if it were not for my pain i would not even have had an x ray. Even so i would ask for one if you want one for such things as reassurance.

BeckyH
26th January 2006, 11:18 AM
yeah thinking about it, i'm a private patient and was seen at 6 weeks but didn't have any xrays, whereas (i think i'm right here) my surgeon sees his NHS patients at 8 weeks and xrays them... but the best part of appointments is the opportunity to show your doctor how wonderful you feel and get some restrictions lifted ;-)

Abbi
26th January 2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Phil@Jan 26 2006, 09:55 AM
As iv already mentioned if it were not for my pain i would not even have had an x ray. Even so i would ask for one if you want one for such things as reassurance.
wow, really? I thought an x-ray at a 6week check up was standard almost? I am also going to be having x-rays next week...but I presume that is to check my fusion!

RocketQueen
26th January 2006, 12:19 PM
Becky said

... but the best part of appointments is the opportunity to show your doctor how wonderful you feel and get some restrictions lifted smil3dbd4e398ff7b.gif

Hehehe, even Becky is in some ways right (btw Becky you crack me up sweety) make sure you don't lie through ur teeth to get some restrictions back, tell him exactly how u feel otherwise he might lift restrictions he really shouldn't.

Abbi
26th January 2006, 12:22 PM
lol!!! yes, that is a good part having restrictions lifted, I am so looking forward to that part next week....put I will be asking for specififcs instead of "dont lift anything too heavy" grr...that annoys me!!

RocketQueen
26th January 2006, 12:24 PM
You go girl!

BeckyH
26th January 2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by RocketQueen@Jan 26 2006, 11:19 AM
Becky said

... but the best part of appointments is the opportunity to show your doctor how wonderful you feel and get some restrictions lifted smil3dbd4e398ff7b.gif

Hehehe, even Becky is in some ways right (btw Becky you crack me up sweety) make sure you don't lie through ur teeth to get some restrictions back, tell him exactly how u feel otherwise he might lift restrictions he really shouldn't.
well don't look at me for an example, i told a little white lie to get out of hospital :glee:

Phil
26th January 2006, 07:12 PM
Me to, i made everything seem slighty better than i felt it was to get out. Im sure that place was making things worse anyway.

Thaleias spirit
26th January 2006, 07:18 PM
Phil, I'm sure plenty of people in hospital do that. Tell the staff they are doing really well just to get home ssoner. I don't think it matter how nice the staff are or how good the care is you will always prefer to be in the comfort of your own home.

me though, well last year when i wnet infor a week I was almost sad tto leave (then again I wasn't really sick). The staff were lovely and I just relaxed there.
I don't think I'll be the same after surgery though.