PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck Erin & Andrea

newgirl
16th January 2006, 12:01 PM
Hi Andrea,
Just noticed on the calender that Erin is due another cast change tomorrow, that time flew didn't it?
Anyway best of luck with it all and give Erin a big hug and kiss from us.
Nicola

BarmyArmy
16th January 2006, 12:15 PM
Best wishes and good luck :squeeze:

sins
16th January 2006, 02:29 PM
and more from me! Good luck and I hope you see some improvement.
Sins

andrea
16th January 2006, 02:48 PM
Thanks Nicola, Leona and Sins

Yes, it has come round quickly this time, but it's only been 7 weeks. Mr Lehovsky (our man of the moment) decided to do a couple in quick succession to try and get the curve back under control, but going on the last xray, I'm not too hopeful (natural pessimist). I'm looking forward (as much as you can be) to Mr Taylor coming back from his sabbatical so we can sit down with him and review the year and see what he has to say. I still can't help but feel that growing rods are looming closer and closer, but i'll embrace them if that's what we need to get this little girl growing in the right direction.

Thanks again. I'll update tomorrow.
Andrea

PS I'm off sick at home today, so hopefully i'll be well enough to take her tomorrow.

Sealy
16th January 2006, 03:42 PM
Andrea,

I'm keeping everything crossed that the casting goes well tomorrow ! Take care of yourself too ! Erin needs you to be strong and healthy. :hug:

titch
16th January 2006, 03:45 PM
:squeeze: I'll be thinking of you both!

Abbi
16th January 2006, 07:11 PM
I hope your feeling much better soon Andrea, and that the appointment goes without a hitch tomorrow! :squeeze: I'll be thinking of you both *crosses fingers for a better result*

andrea
18th January 2006, 09:43 PM
Hi guys

Well, it didn't quite go without a hitch, but then what does in the NHS? The anaesthetist hadn't been given a list and naively (her word) thought that this meant there weren't any jacket patients, when there were 2 of us. The ward was the busiest i've seen it and the plaster theatre was the same. The nurses were never anywhere to be seen and we felt like we were directing them all day, which I don't like to do as I have faith that when things need to be done they'll get to them as soon as they can (even though all of us have experience to the contrary).

Anyway, we got there eventually, and she got a new cast. It's tighter than before and lower on her shoulders, so she looks better and her clothes fit her again (thank goodness). As usual, we didn't get a chance to speak to the consultant much so have arranged to see him at the clinic in 6 weeks. She wasn't xrayed this time as he didn't see the point. He wants to do it again in 8 weeks anyway so will xray her then. He mentioned getting the curve down so that she can go back into a brace for the summer, but I put a swift stop to any ideas he may have for that!!! No way!

So, that was that. Thanks for all your best wishes.
Andrea
x

Sealy
18th January 2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by andrea@Jan 18 2006, 02:43 PM
He wants to do it again in 8 weeks anyway so will xray her then. He mentioned getting the curve down so that she can go back into a brace for the summer, but I put a swift stop to any ideas he may have for that!!! No way!

Good for you, Andrea ! :-) I'm sorry to hear things were a bit hectic before the casting. Hopefully we'll see some improvement with time :niceone:

sins
18th January 2006, 11:41 PM
Quite right Andrea, British summers aren't that hot anyway.
I'm pleased they're making this effort and doing more regular changes to reduce the curve.Obviously the aggressive treatment will be of more benefit.Glad you got it over and done with.
Sins

DublinPauline
19th January 2006, 10:51 AM
Good that they're going to be proactive with Erin, with regular plaster changes and check-ups.

Abbi
19th January 2006, 03:51 PM
Sounds like the appointment went fine...as far as the NHS goes! I am glad you have another cast change over with! I hope the appointment goes well in 6weeks time, and that there is an improvement!

I definately have to agree with you on declining the brace, the casts seem to be better in holding the curve!

BeckyH
21st January 2006, 12:38 AM
don't get me started on nurses. most of mine were angels but there were a couple who you had to nag to get them to do something as simple as take an uncomfortable cannula out of my hand :rant: sorry, this shouldn't be about me

i'm glad you're learning and keeping a positive input in erin's treatment, she's got a great person as an advocate

andrea
21st January 2006, 09:41 AM
Thanks everyone. For about the first year, we had the same nurses everytime, and they were great. Yes, we had some hiccups, but nothing too major and they were always really good and attentive. For the last 3 or 4 times, the nurses all seem to have very limited English and don't seem to have a clue. When we were called to theatre the nurse took us to the plaster theatre, even though we told her we had to go to the main theatre. She insisted she was right, and of course she wasn't. It's frustrating because you only seem to get something when you complain about it, and I'm not a complainer (well, I wasn't).

Erin has grown 2cm in the last 2 months, so I'm figuring growth is good. I'm not reading too much into it, but the more spinal growth she can achieve the better. She's now 106cm tall, which isn't bad going for a 3 year old.

Thanks again for your support.

IansMommy
23rd January 2006, 02:58 PM
Sorry I didn't get a chance to wish you luck before you left for your casting, but I was actually having Ian casted at the same time. I am glad it went well despite it being so busy. Your little girl is so pretty! I hope you get some great results when they next take some x-rays.

newgirl
26th January 2006, 10:31 AM
Sorry, haven't had chance to log in in a while, glad the news is fairly positive Andrea. I am surprised they even entertained the idea of a brace for the Summer again. How is Erin coping with the more frequent cast changes or is she even aware that they are happening so often?
Talk soon
Nicola

Sealy
27th January 2006, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by andrea@Jan 21 2006, 02:41 AM
Erin has grown 2cm in the last 2 months, so I'm figuring growth is good. I'm not reading too much into it, but the more spinal growth she can achieve the better. She's now 106cm tall, which isn't bad going for a 3 year old.

Andrea,

Erin is a very tall girl ! I think Deirdre is about 110 cm and she just turned 5 :soapbox:

andrea
27th January 2006, 07:31 PM
How is Erin coping with the more frequent cast changes or is she even aware that they are happening so often?

She hasn't a clue Nicola. She just gets on with it, as we all do. She doesn't really have any concept of time, so wouldn't understand that the changes are more regular. I don't know if this is normal for a 3 yr old child or not .

Yes Sealy, she's tall, but then her daddy is 6ft 4in on a short day so she must have his genes.

Thaleias spirit
27th January 2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Sealy+Jan 27 2006, 03:03 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sealy @ Jan 27 2006, 03:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-andrea@Jan 21 2006, 02:41 AM

Andrea,

Erin is a very tall girl ! I think Deirdre is about 110 cm and she just turned 5 :soapbox: [/b][/quote]
:cry: I'm only a 128 cms ... and Im at least 6 times older than them. :woe:

Sealy
27th January 2006, 10:12 PM
Chele, :squeeze: :hug: There is nothing wrong with being petite, I think being petite is easier for girls than boys... think of Napoleon and look what he accomplished :-D