PDA

View Full Version : physicall thearpy

sally333
6th January 2006, 09:29 AM
I was at my six week check up yesterday.
Before I had surgery I was told I wouldnt have physicall thearpy for one month after surgery. It has been six weeks now,since my surgery. At my check up everything seems to be going ok,but he did not order any pt. I dont feel as those I am up to it yet so I didnt ask him. I do not see my Dr for another six weeks. I was just checking to see if and when any one else started pt. How often do you guys see the Dr after your surgerys and what the Dr does during your visit with him.

Blair
6th January 2006, 01:41 PM
I was told it's not a good idea to do PT before at least a few months have passed for kids, not until 6 months for adults so that you don't harm your bone grafts....
My ex riding student was put in PT at 3 months...
For post op followups... I did 7 days home, three months, six months, (went in at 9 mo as well because I was having some issues with pain and excessive popping below my fusion) a year, two years, and will see him again at four years post op unless I have a problem

Siobhan
6th January 2006, 02:20 PM
Hi Sally, today is the six month anniversary of my op. I've had no physio as yet but I'm seeing my surgeon next Wed so will ask him about it then. I feel I am ready for it now. I've done a little bit of swimming but that's it. If your Dr didn't suggest it, he obviously feels you're not ready, so try not to worry about it. :bear:

sally333
6th January 2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks--

I am worried that I will be off work to long. I took a loan out just to pay my bills while I am off of work. This will not last to long. I know I can't go back to early but I guess the time off of work is starting to hit me right now. They only have to hold my job for three months but they have to keep me employed there for one year. I will not be prommissed my same job back if it is more then three months. I was told I could be off work for more then six months before I had this surgery. Like i said before I just didn't believe it. I know I would not be ready to go back in another six weeks its just hard to think about. I do hope I am in pt before six months though as that is a really long time.I am single and support myself so this is really hard with out having a income.

Jmullings
6th January 2006, 07:40 PM
Hi Sally

I am now 5 1/2 months post op. I have only seen my surgeon once since surgery (7 weeks post op). I think that my consultant is quite strict and I have not been allowed to drive, swim or go to the gym since !! I am going back for my second appointment next Friday so hopefully he will allow me to start exercising again.

As for PT, he doesn't beleive that it is necessary for me to have it at the moment. I am sure your surgeon just feels that it is too soon after surgery.