PDA

View Full Version : Pictures, before and after

Phil
3rd January 2006, 06:04 PM
Before pics:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/phil3822/09102005.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/phil3...09102005001.jpg (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/phil3822/09102005001.jpg)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/phil3...09102005004.jpg (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/phil3822/09102005004.jpg)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/phil3...09102005005.jpg (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/phil3822/09102005005.jpg)

After pics plus wounds:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/phil3822/03012006.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/phil3...03012006001.jpg (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/phil3822/03012006001.jpg)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/phil3...03012006002.jpg (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/phil3822/03012006002.jpg)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/phil3...03012006003.jpg (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/phil3822/03012006003.jpg)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/phil3...03012006004.jpg (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/phil3822/03012006004.jpg)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/phil3...03012006006.jpg (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/phil3822/03012006006.jpg)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/phil3...03012006007.jpg (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/phil3822/03012006007.jpg)

I would be grateful if a mod could add these new pics to my gallery. :-)

A write up will follow sometime when I can sit up the computer long enough. I am now feeling much better, am dressing free but still pretty anemic.

thesatindoll
3rd January 2006, 06:08 PM
Thats a pretty spectacular scar! You must be very proud.

titch
3rd January 2006, 06:54 PM
That's fantastic! You look great :D

Abbi
3rd January 2006, 07:04 PM
WOW!!!!! awesome pictures, was comparing the pre and post op pictures, your hump has reduced dramatically!!! :D

I am very impressed with the scars....very neat looking!!! thanks for sharing them! :niceone:

Marti
3rd January 2006, 07:05 PM
Those are great pictures! and i agree with everyone else--the scars are very neat.

I hope you continue to feel better!

Thaleias spirit
3rd January 2006, 07:08 PM
All I can say is ... WOW!!!! :-o

They did a fantastic job ..
you can really see the difference in the photos.
and your scars look pretty good too..

You must be absolutely thrilled with the results Phil

Hope you are still taking thing's easy though.

:squeeze:

Little Ali
3rd January 2006, 08:45 PM
Yay! What a fantastic result! :clap:

Really pleased for you and here's to feeling better everyday! :cheers:

Jules
3rd January 2006, 09:18 PM
WOW..I'm so happy for you Phil....you have a fantatic scar and an equally amazing correction!!!

Make sure you rest lots still and I'm looking forward to your return to SSO!! :squeeze:

sins
3rd January 2006, 10:08 PM
That's a very good result Phil.I think cosmetically that's a pretty neat scar too.Hope you got through Christmas in comfort.I'm thrilled to bits for you !!
Sins

mark
3rd January 2006, 10:21 PM
Nice job they did for you there Phil mate. I'm really chuffed for you and can not wait to read your story

Take it easy mate

mark

Jonny
3rd January 2006, 10:59 PM
Neat scars and an amazing correction - nice one!

RocketQueen
4th January 2006, 03:30 AM
The difference is amazing. You stand sooo differently. Look much more comfy. Prolly not right now, but later u will be. :) Thanks for those pics. :) x

sally333
4th January 2006, 07:01 AM
Hi Phil-
Are scars are pretty much identical. We also had the same surgery about. My kyphosis was 110 and I think they got it down to about 50 or 45. Not as good of a correction as yours though. Lots of things determine how much they can reduce it to. I am not proud of my scars as others seem to be. It is just something I had to have done. The progression was just happening to fast. I also had both of my surgerys done at the same time in a ten hour surgery unlike yourself. This I am glad of. For me the side surgery is the most painfull and actually it still is. I would not lie to anyone the pain involved in this kind of surgery is horriable. It was almost untolarable at a point. I actually at four weeks tore the inside stiches out of my side. This was just as painfull or worse then the surgery,I was back in the hospital for five days after this happened.My side is still sore,but my back part doesn't feel so bad. So how is it being at home? I still have to sleep in a recliner chair as it is to painfull to get out of bed or even off the couch. How do you sleep? My stay in the hospital was horriable to. If you need to start using the call light you become the nurses worst enemy. They for the most part can't stand to do anything for someone. Sometimes it would take more then a hour for them just to come when I would ring. I don't think I could stand to be in the hospital again. I will be writeing up some complaints to the hospital for both stays. The way I was treated was just wrong. This happens all the time. It needs to stop. I also have to ware a tlso brace. Some people call it a turtle shell. It goes up to my sholders in the front and as far down as it can and in the back it is up to my shoulder blades and half way down my rump. I hated it at first now I can't go with out it.
Well hope you are feeling better soon . You know that this is considered one of the most painfull surgerys that there are. It will take awhile to recover from it . Especially at are ages. I just turned 37. The docs say it is much more easier on kids and teenagers and that they recover faster to. Well take care.

Phil
4th January 2006, 07:12 PM
Thanks all. I am pleased with my posterior wound although my anterior one disturbs me.

Weird as it may sound at present i am not that impressed with my correction. That may be a mental thing which will improve. Maybe i had got used to the way i was before. Yep, certainly weird.

Amazed Jean
4th January 2006, 07:28 PM
Phil, Wow nice scar1 Its brave of you to post the pix. I get all teary eyed looking at them. All that you have gone through just is so apparent when I look at them. I guess I am getting to be squeamish . I also can't help but get angry at the damn scoliosis monster for causing so much pain and suffering. At any rate hang in there I think you are doing great!

Vicki
4th January 2006, 10:47 PM
You're looking great Phil, glad it all went well :)

The correction will probably be more apparent when you see photos of yourself in a normal context (i.e. not posing in order to see the difference between before and after), and I'm sure you'll be pleased with the difference when you see a random pic snapped in a pub, and notice the difference! :)

sins
4th January 2006, 11:44 PM
Had you expected a better correction Phil?Or is it that you haven't had time to dwell on it?

mark
4th January 2006, 11:50 PM
I would have a chat with John or Sally Phil, they are a bit further down the road to recovery. I might start a new thread in the kyphosis forum, some where you can go and vent

take it easy mate

mark

RocketQueen
5th January 2006, 12:55 AM
Can't help wondering whether Mark was maybe a little tipsy when he posted that.

I totally agree with what Vicki said though, you will prolyy notice and appreciate it more when u look at a more jnatural foto of yourself.

x

mark
5th January 2006, 08:39 AM
no Emily, mores the pity but i was sober its just a dodgy keyboard and i forgot to read back what i posted.

Phil
5th January 2006, 11:37 AM
Thats a good point Vicki and thanks Mark.

Sins, i really am not sure. I think the deformity didn't phase me as much as i had thought. I think the correction is pretty good but when i look in a mirror i find it hard to see any differences between now and then. Strange i know. Maybe i didn't have time to dwell. Maybe i need more time. It could be i have not yet accepted whats happened. I really dont know yet.

Jmullings
5th January 2006, 01:53 PM
Hi Phil

Amazing correction and very neat scars. It is perfectly normal to find it difficult to deal with your correction. I had been living with a 80 -90 degree curve for 16 years before I have surgery in the summer and found it very difficult to accept at times. But I have never regreted having it done. Give yourself time to adjust. It is quite an emotional rollercoaster having major surgery.

Jo xx

BlueIce
5th January 2006, 08:26 PM
you can say what you want but I think you've had an amazing correction! Maybe it'll hit you when you can compare xrays, I remember being shocked when I first saw mine. I thought they had mistaken them with someone elses :-).

sally333
6th January 2006, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Phil@Jan 4 2006, 07:12 PM
Thanks all. I am pleased with my posterior wound although my anterior one disturbs me.

Weird as it may sound at present i am not that impressed with my correction. That may be a mental thing which will improve. Maybe i had got used to the way i was before. Yep, certainly weird.
Well Phil-
I don't know how your feeling. This is how I feel about my surgery,I am wondering if you have any of these same feelings. I never really thought to much about my surgery before I had it. The surgery was just something in my life that had to be done. I mean I had a few panic attacts once in awhile but quickly got over them. I don't really remember feeling any emotion while I was getting ready to go into surgery. When I first woke up all I remember was the terriable pain that I was in. It even hurt me to move my hands ,arms and fingers. That part only lasted a short time.My back and side on the other hand took a long time to get any pain controll. The first three days were the worst. I just layed in the bed and kinda made a noise even when I breathed because of the pain I guess.I never really thought about my surgery at this point either all I could think about was the terriable pain and what did I get my self into as there is no turning back.The nursing care I had while in the neuro icu was great. After I was put in a regular room things werent so great. I couldnt get up so I had to use the call light. I find if you have to use the call light you become the nurses worst enemy. They wre rude and didn't want to help me in anyway. My pain pills would be due and they would not bring them in,they were up to a hour late at times.
Anyway I think my age,missing work and wandering if they will hold my job for this long recovery,the bad nursing care and having to stay home for so long, all plays a role in what did I go threw all this for. It becomes very depressing.I was at the Dr yesterday and had x-rays taken.It is to early to tell how my back is fusing but all else looks well. He measured my curve and it is now at 53 it had been up to 110. This is a great correction but I still have kyphosis at 53 and wish it had been better. This is now making me more depressed as I went threw alot and then to see it only came down to 53 hurts. Well anyway I just don't really now how I feel anymore its like I am numb. I do see that my back is not so bent over as it used to be.Well I hope this note made a little since to you. Sorry if it didn't but it is hard to explain.

sins
6th January 2006, 10:05 AM
Well I had a curve of 110 degrees and after surgery I was shocked to learn that it was still 110 degrees.I was only 15 at the time but didn't experience the pain levels you all had(must have been cos I got no correction).
I guess with adult surgery, you can't expect perfection.Only when your body has healed can you genuinely evaluate the cosmetic success of the surgery.
In all our cases the large curves were progressing at a rapid rate.The most important factor to consider is that the progression has now been halted and this is vital for future lung function.
Just give it another few weeks, once you're not in pain everything will start to seem more positive.
Sins

RocketQueen
6th January 2006, 10:38 PM
Sins

Why was ur curve still at 110* post op? What did the op achieve? Or have I misunderstood? x

mark
6th January 2006, 11:20 PM
I agee with Sinead, perhaps sometimes our expectations surpase what is medically achievable. I am just glad that some of us who are perhaps a little older have been given the option of surgical intervention and the amazing corrections that have been achieved should be inspirational to both new and old members who perhaps have not been given the choice and are still fighting the system and prejudices to enable some degree of correction to the curves they have, and have had for a many a year.

Marti
7th January 2006, 05:57 AM
I did get a perfect correction (well, close enough anyhow) from my surgery, but sometimes I still look at myself in the mirror and my waistline seems crooked. I didn't have much deformity even before the surgery, but my guess is that I was just so used to looking at myself, trying to see if I'd gotten any worse, that I imagine a curve where there isn't any. Your correction certainly looks really good to me, so it could just be one of those times when we're too critical of ourselves.

Phil
7th January 2006, 01:09 PM
I'm not by any means complaining about my overall results, it's a mental thing regarding the 'not seeing much change at present'.
With any luck progression has stopped and pain will be minimized in time, anything else is a bonus. I was just slightly surprised at my feelings to-wards the physical correction.

Maggie
7th January 2006, 01:50 PM
I finally worked myself up to looking at the photos (I am awfully squeamish as Abbi can tell you) Phil your scar doesn't look too bad its very neat and the correction look wonderful you can really see a difference glad to see you back.

miss_mystery786
7th January 2006, 02:46 PM
Phil huni, well done for getting through surgey, I personally think that your back looks great - dont care what you say (sticks tongue out :P) xxxx

Jonny
7th January 2006, 07:45 PM
We all go through different psychological stages after surgery. There's a final stage when you're totally happy with everything, you think it was worth it and you appreciate the surgeon's skill, and some people get there quicker than others.

Phil, be reassured that your correction is really good, and it won't be long before you're glad it all happened and you wouldn't trade your new spine in for anything. Before we get there, we all wonder if our correction is as big as it could have been, as big as it should have been. Invariably (and certainly with you) the answer is yes. :D

sins
8th January 2006, 11:38 AM
I'm not by any means complaining about my overall results, it's a mental thing regarding the 'not seeing much change at present'.

I can totally understand where you're coming from Phil.So it's important to have a chat with your surgeon as soon as possible and discuss this with him.The one thing that will help you come to terms with your operation and it's outcome is to sit down and analyze it all with the man who did the work.He can reassure you of the measurement of the correction and this will put your mind at rest.The actual trauma of such a significant surgery can temporarily alter your your perception of yourself and this will return to normal in time.
Don't be surprised if you feel like you've just returned from a tour of duty in Vietman, no matter how psychologically strong we are or what our profession is, any surgery which alters us cosmetically, or produces such pain and stress is very unsettling.
It's hard for us to analyse the scale of your success in curve reduction just by judging a few pictures. I think only those who have seen you in person and regularly see you can accurately judge.What do your friends and family think?
I think though it will take time for your shape to settle into it's final position.I remember a mother on here about three/four weeks after her daughter's surgery, worried that the surgery had left her even more twisted than before it, but she "straightened out" over the next few weeks.When do you go back for an appointment with the surgeon?
Sins

Phil
8th January 2006, 12:23 PM
I may try to speak with him although i must admit i find it somewhat hard as he is very to the point old school and polish. I will try though.
Next appointment is on the 23rd of Jan, friends and family are very impressed. I hope it will all come together when i get some netter fitting clothes, and get slightly back to reality. Cheers for your comments guys.

Thaleias spirit
8th January 2006, 01:08 PM
The mind can play tricks like that. You see one thing and others can something totally different. When you get so use to one appearance it can be very hard to adjust to something new. Like Sins said it's the people arond you and who see you on a daily basis will be able to see such a difference.

I once read that even after surgery, regardless of the correction, you almost have to re-learn how to stand, sit again.. If you are so use to being offline and balance in your mind regradles of how excellent a correctio achieved you still have the old ways in your system. It's all about adjusting.

It's still very early days yet. You are reaching a month post-op now.
I'm sure when you can start doing more and feel much better that you will start seeing and feeling the difference that's been made.

But good luck with the appointment nevertheless. Hope it goes well for you.

zerodegrees
9th January 2006, 12:09 PM
Phil,

I think your correction is fantastic! I can see where you are coming from as on occasion I look in the mirror and wonder if my own looks any better. However I have a quick browse of my old photos particularly the ones showing the adams forward bend test and am reassured.

Strangely, my shape has even changed since I got home. My body has settled down considerably and even my "dodgy" looking hip (one was higher than the other post surgery) has evened out.

I keep looking to see if my kyphosis is returning, sometimes I actually think it is but poor Des reassures me it isn't!

Anyway, keep going & remember you'll have good days & bad! Soon enough the good ones will outweigh the bad! Trust me.

Cheers

John

Phil
9th January 2006, 12:11 PM
Cheers John, I must confess i sometimes walk past the mirror and think "damn, it's returned"

thesatindoll
9th January 2006, 02:47 PM
I know how you feel.

After the op I was really really happy, I thought that my rib hump had really decreased and I was all 'Oh yeah I can wear anything now' and when I was at home, I looked at myself and thought, 'it looks exactly the same...oh no!'

But I'm assured it really has got smaller!

As everyone else said, just keep going, and dont forget that you will wake up one day and feel GREAT about yourself. I promise!

mark
20th January 2006, 07:55 PM
How are you feeling aboutthings now phil

Phil
20th January 2006, 10:13 PM
Im getting increased pain on my right hand lower back when laying down. Sometimes it just bursts out with this massive pain thatlasts about 30 seconds and brings me to near tears. Other than that im fine.

The pain is the oppoisite side to my anterior surgery. It feels like my spine is under pressure, as in being twisted.

I have my 6 week appointment Monday so hope to bring it up, where i also intend to ask for pysio. Doubt i will get it though.

Little Ali
21st January 2006, 09:47 PM
Sorry you're in pain Phil :squeeze: Let me know what your consultant says.

I agree with the others, your back looks fab! :D

zerodegrees
22nd January 2006, 11:39 AM
Phil,

I had pain somewhat similar to yours & still do. I was told that a lot of it is nerves reforming & muscles knitting together again which can cause extreme pain. I was told that I "probably didn't want to know" how many layers were cut thru during the procedures!

As for physio, as you know I have started though they didnt start me until 10 weeks post op & are only just starting to give me a wee bit more now that I'm 12 weeks. Apparently it takes a good 12 weeks for the "knitting" together of the fusion to start.

Anyway, ask all your questions at your 6 weeks appointment. I didn't even get an xray at mine!

Cheers

John

mark
22nd January 2006, 05:00 PM
How are things now John i hope things are getting easier and your lifes getting back to as it was before the operation

Take care mate and lots a love to all post op members

mark