PDA

View Full Version : Scheuermann's kyphosis surgery

sally333
30th December 2005, 07:23 AM
I have Sheuermann's kyphosis. My degree of the curve six weeks before surgery was 107 degrees. I found out after my surgery that the curve had progressed to 110 degrees. Therefore it was very progressive. My surgery was scheduled for November 22nd,at eight am. I arrived at the hospital at five thirty am on the 22nd. I went threw the admission proses and was taken to a small room to change and wait for further instructions. There was not even a bed in this tiny room. A chair and a curtain was about it. One could hear everyone else who was brought into the area to wait. No privacy. After about half hour someone came and took me by cart up to the pre surgical room. Again no privacy. There were about six people getting ready for surgery in there.
Now the ordeal is about to begin.
The first thing ,I had to get hooked up to the spinal cord monitoring. The scrubbing of the skin to prep it was like getting scrubbed with a brilo pad. The worst was when they had to do the neck area. They hook about half the cords up and the rest have to be done after you are put to sleep. I guess they actually put things right into your body for this part. They hooked up the ivs and rolled me into the surgery room. There were about twenty people in there. I must have gotten upset when the Dr told them to make sure to prepare me for a wake up test. I told my Dr that I thought he wouldn't have to do that as I was hooked up to the spinal cord monitor. Well that was it, the next thing I recall is waking up from the surgery.
I had never been in so much pain before in my life. I didn't want them to have to switch me into the different bed,they actually had to give me versid just to do it. This I am greatfull for as I do not remember the pain of doing it.
The surgery took nine and a half hours and I was so swollen that the Dr said if he had not just seen me come out he wouldn't have new it was me. My eyes were actually almost swollen shut. From laying face down for so many hours. My pain for the first three days was so intence I couldn't move. All I did was keep my eyes shut and moan as if I was having a hard time breathing. It was just so painfull. My chest tube came out after about two days. I still had the ng tube,pca,cath,and several iv bags-oh and a drain in my back. I was in the neuro icu for about three days and I was on a lot of pain meds,even with the meds the pain was still there. On the second day a guy came and measured me for a tlso brace. It starts at the neck and goes past my butt.That came the day after Thanksgiving. Not to much more to say about the neuro icu as it is kinda a fuzzy memory. All I remember is the intence pain. During surgery my hemaglobin went from 14 to 9 and for some reason it had dropped to 6 the day after. They didn't know why that happened. I was giving three units of blood. The neuro Icu staff were the most nicest people in the whole hospital I will later find out. I never had a problem with them.
Sorry this is so long its hard to write weeks worth of stuff in just a few short lines. Bare with me. The next days will be hell. Being moved out of the neuro icu and just placed on the neuro floor. The nurses were hell. You will be there worst enemy when you use the call light.
I will go for know as this is to long and finnish up with the story another day. Now as it is just about to get interesting.

mark
30th December 2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks Sally look forward to reading the next installment with interest.

Take care

mark

RocketQueen
30th December 2005, 11:33 AM
Ugh, i hope things start getting better soon. Bet ur glad to be home now. :), am looking forward to more. x

Abbi
30th December 2005, 12:53 PM
Hey Sally, thank u for sharing your story with us! :-) It was a pretty good account of it!

After about half hour someone came and took me by cart up to the pre surgical room.
hehee....that made me laugh (sorry) makes me think of some sort of mining cart or something :hammer:

The scrubbing of the skin to prep it was like getting scrubbed with a brilo pad.
OWWW!!!! :cry: that couldn't have been nice....I was lucky with that, in that they did stuff like that after I was asleep!

Can't wait to read more of ur journey....

Abbi x :-)

Lizzie89
30th December 2005, 03:48 PM
All of that was done when i was asleep for me too. Sounds like you had a really rough time of it Sally. Im sorry about that- at least the hardest part is over now. :squeeze:

just a quick question- is kyphosis surgery more or less invasive that scoliosis surgery as a rule?
I was just wondering as i didnt have anything like the pain and the swelling or the tubes etc that you had.
Lizzie
x

sally333
30th December 2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Lizzie89@Dec 30 2005, 02:48 PM
All of that was done when i was asleep for me too. Sounds like you had a really rough time of it Sally. Im sorry about that- at least the hardest part is over now. :squeeze:

just a quick question- is kyphosis surgery more or less invasive that scoliosis surgery as a rule?
I was just wondering as i didnt have anything like the pain and the swelling or the tubes etc that you had.
Lizzie
x
Every surgery is a invasive surgery. Kyphosis surgery and scoliosis are very similar. I am a lot older(37) and being older does make things more difficult. I also was brought out of surgery with no pain meds what so ever. It took them awhile to get things going. I also had been on Kadian(morphine)for some time before I had surgery. That means my tollarence for meds would have been increased. I would need more then if I had not been on the meds before surgery.My curve was very very large. 110 degrees. It took alot of torking of the spine to get it where the Dr wanted it. I think he got it down to 45 degrees. That is a very large correction for kyphosis. I had two rods put in and almost the length of my whole back. I had 36 screws and three cross links. I was in surgery for almost ten hours and they choose to do both of the surgerys at the same time. I was also in quite a bit of pain as the side inside stiches were in much to tight and they refused to dissolve. That pain became unbearable as they ended up ripping out and I was back in the hospital for another five days. The swelling was from being on my face for so many hours and from all the fluids that wre given in the ten hours I was in the theatre.
I however live by myself and when I got home I wasn't able to stay in bed all day as there are things that have to be done. Things like cooking and doing things that most people take for granted at a young age.Of course I did as little as possible.
I can't believe if one wasn't in so much pain they would lay around so much or even have to take any pain pills once they got home. I am still on pain meds and will be for a few more months. This kinda of surgery is one of the most painfull surgerys that one can have done. There was also no epindurals put into my back if there were I could say the pain would have been much better undercontroll.
Im glad you didn't have much pain when you had your surgery.Not to many people could say that. It all depends on the length of the surgery how much you had to get fused how many hours you were out. The degree of the correction so many factors play a role in back surgery. Another thing is just because we have had back surgery doesn't mean that we all had it done in the same way nor were we treated with as much pain medicine every surgery is different and we must not forget that.

Abbi
31st December 2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by sally333@Dec 30 2005, 09:59 PM
I also was brought out of surgery with no pain meds what so ever.
WHAT?!?! :-o that doesn't sound too great!
My anaethesist told me that they'd put the epidural in just before I would wake up, and it would take an hour or so to work....and so I would be given morphine for pain relief for the first while! But you had none as u came out??.....ouchies...that sounds sore! I was sore too....but its weird, cos if I think back on it...I can't remember feeling the pain....all I remember was whining and saying I was sore!

mark
31st December 2005, 08:39 PM
Sounds like you have really been through the mill Sally. Lets hope 2006 is a lot less painfull than 2005

MOB
31st December 2005, 08:54 PM
Sorry to hear you have been through so much Sally hope things get better