PDA

View Full Version : No lumbar curvature - lots of pain

iomtech
28th December 2005, 07:58 PM
I am the mother of a 12 y/o girl who has suffered from low back pain for over a year. She is 5'6", 150 lbs and according to her recent bone scan, she is not done growing yet. The only thing they have found so far is hypermobility in her joints and almost no lumbar curvature in her spine. Her pain level is 5 almost all the time and goes up to 7-8 while sitting (it is very positional in nature). She walks alright, but complains of numbness and pain in her right leg daily as well. The doctors are telling her that they don't know what is wrong and tells her to keep playing basketball. After a few minutes of running, her pain is so severe that she is swinging her right leg out and away just to run, and recently is complaining of not being able to breathe due to pain when she gets a little winded. Does this sound like anything that anyone else has been through? She has been checked for scoliosis and doesn't fit the bill according to the ortho/neuro docs. The kidneys have also been checked out and are clear. :nut:

I would appreciate any input, as we are getting extremely frustrated. Also, I don't want to allow her to play basketball if there is the potential for any long term damage. She goes to see a pediatric orthopedic doctor on Jan 2 and I would love to know what to ask.

Thanks

gerbo
28th December 2005, 08:07 PM
has she had an mri scan of her spine??

Thaleias spirit
28th December 2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by iomtech@Dec 28 2005, 06:58 PM
She walks alright, but complains of numbness and pain in her right leg daily as well. The doctors are telling her that they don't know what is wrong and tells her to keep playing basketball.
First off, welcome to SSo ..

Secondly, reading the above information struck a cord with me. I has scoliosis and until about 2 years ago had no real issues with it, even where pain was concerned.

Slowly I started having extra pain both in my back but also in my right leg.
There was also some degree of numbness. If I sat for a period it became very uncomfortable. I did physio for a while to see if that helped with the leg issues (incase it was a trapped nerve) and it did but after a while it didn't give me enough relief. One test my consultant performed (by rubbing a pen along the sole of my foot) showed increased sensitivity in that side.

In my case, due to having a 155 degree thoracic curve, there was early signs of spinal cord compression. Bear in mind I'm now 32 and have never been assessed or treated until now.

As Gerbo asked, has she had an MRI scan to investigate this?
also, can I asked where you are based? We may have someone here who has experience with consuktants / hospitals in your area.

If there's anything else I can tell you, please feel free to ask.

chele

Maggie
29th December 2005, 12:26 AM
I have a 40 degress lumbar curve and I get the same numbness in my leg except it is my right leg.

I mentioned this to the doctor who diagnosed me not the doctor who treats me now and the doctor said that there was a chance there is a damaged nerve or the curve is pressing on something.

I haven't mentioned this to my scoliosis doctor but apparently I do have disc damage don't know if that has anything to do with it but maybe its something to look into.

I would ask for an M.R.I scan.

conni60640@gmail.com
29th December 2005, 04:36 PM
Has the MRI (I think I saw there was one?) been read by a pediatric neurosurgeon? Low back pain and leg numbness can be a sign of a tethered spinal cord, in which the base of the spinal cord is stuck to something and unable to float freely like it normally does. This puts pressure on the nerves to the legs/feet/bowel and bladder, and can cause back pain, numbness/tingling/pain in buttocks, legs, feet, changes in feet (arch falling or getting higher, toes curling, etc), increased clumbsiness and tripping, and problems with bowels or bladder.

My son had this, and I've heard of many cases where it was missed until after large growth spurts and there was no more room for the cord to stretch. Often there are signs on the skin over the middle of the lower spine, like dimples, birthmarks, lumps or hairy patches, but that isn't always the case, and the ones without skin markings more often aren't caught until signs of problems.

Hopefully, your daughter doesn't have this, but I would want someone to rule it out, especially if she has any of the other symptoms I mentioned above...