PDA

View Full Version : Update on Ian

IansMommy
17th December 2005, 10:14 PM
Hi there! It's been a while since I have posted, but I wanted to give a quick update on Ian.

This past October he had another set of films taken and it showed that he was indeed progressing (he'd been stable at his July appt). In April, he had a 29 degree right thoracic curve. In October, the films showed not only a 36 degree RT, but also a Left Lumbar compensatory curve of 30 degrees :( . We headed up to Shriners to participate in the ETTP conference with Miss Mehta. She looked at his films and said that she had never seen that amount of rotation for the degree of curve he had, so she recommended casting. They took another set of films and he was up to 43 degrees Right Thoracic in just 4 weeks since the Oct films were taken. His rotation is also at 45 degrees which they said was significant.

He received his first cast on November 8th and he's doing great! He's adjusted well and he is down to 7 degrees in the cast. He can do everything he used to be able to do except sit on the floor. He barely seems to notice that he is wearing it. We head back to Shriners next month for his second cast.

sins
17th December 2005, 11:42 PM
Hi and thanks for updating us.
That was a rapidly progressing curve,quite alarming really to see how fast these curves can move and especially with such rotation.I'm delighted the casting made such a difference,small kids are so resilient it's amazing.Here's hoping for continued success in Ian's treatment in the new year.
Sins.

gerbo
18th December 2005, 11:40 PM
wow, is this ms Mehta due a knighthood or to be declared a saint? No lack of aopparant miracles there!!

tonibunny
19th December 2005, 01:33 AM
Actually, I have long thought that Min Mehta deserves to be honoured for her work with scoliotic children. She's amazing.....I was thinking of finding out how I can put her name forward to be given a damehood.

nutmeg
19th December 2005, 01:55 AM
You can find information on how to nominate someone at:
Honours system (http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/ceremonial/nominations/index.asp)

You can't ask for a specific Honour, they decide which one is appropriate, but the descriptions suggest she meets the criteria to become a dame.