PDA

View Full Version : exercise routines

mike d
13th December 2005, 03:21 AM
I'm new here this is my first post. I was diagnosed with schuermanns kyphosis in early november (45 degree curve I believe) and i went to physical therapy up to a couple of weeks ago. Ive been doing similar exercises at home to strengthen my back and reduce the pain. Out of curiosty do any of you folks have any routines or exercises that you find successful?

thanks,
mike

mark
13th December 2005, 08:51 AM
Hello Mike

Welcome to SSO :welcome: I was never given an exercise plan but my mum who also has kyphosis did when she was an adolescent. I don't know if did anything for her curves. There's a few on the ite with scheuremann's John's had surgery and phils having his as we speak. And Andys havinf his in January so i hope you stick around

take care

mark

sins
13th December 2005, 09:51 AM
Hi Mike,
I did exercises in my teens.Most of it consisted of physiotherapy exercises to strengthen the back and abdonimal muscles which supported the spine.
Unfortunately, I haven't done any meaningful exercise recently.Take a look in the non surgical room as well as there has been some discussion there recently about exercises.
Welcome to the site.
Sins

zerodegrees
13th December 2005, 10:49 AM
Hi Mike, :welcome2:

My name is John & I had surgery 8 weeks ago today for Scheuermann's kyphosis. My curve pre-op measured 80 degrees (now38). I remember doing exercise when I was much younger but can't remember what they are - sorry.

Stick around & I'm sure one of us will come up with an answer for you (perhaps Jonny?) There are a few of us where with Scheuermann's and lots with scoliosis. Everyone here is a bit mad but incredibly supportive!

Cheers

john

mark
13th December 2005, 11:41 PM
What is Scheuermann's disease or Scheuermann's kyphosis?
Scheuermann's Kyphosis means an increase in the normal kyphosis or the roundback that all of us have to some extent. Most people with Scheuermann's disease will have an increased roundback, but no other particular problem. Those folks who have a profound roundback or if the Scheuermann's Disease affects the lower thoracic or lumbar spine are more likely to have discomfort as they age.

Hyperkyphosis may be associated with increased pain in adult years. Growing patients who have an increased kyphosis are frequently treated with bracing which has been shown to have a good outcome in kyphosis, probably better than in scoliosis cases. For adults the treatment is observation, or anti-inflammatory drugs or reconstructive surgery depending on the severity of the symptoms. Exercises for spine extension and hamstring stretching are usually prescribed. However, exercises are unlikely to correct the deformity for an adult. Exercises used for flexible kyphosis are hyperextension isometric exercises and hamstring stretches. If the deformity and pain are severe enough, a few people are treated with surgery to reduce the kyphosis and fuse the spine.
The kyphosis from Scheuermann's syndrome is different from the kyphosis produced from osteoporotic compression fractures in older women, although the two groups can overlap.

The cause of Scheuermann's kyphosis is unknown, but is thought to be due to a growth abnormality of the vertebral body. Diagnostic criteria varies with different experts. Typically patients have a rigid hyperkyphosis with wedging of the apical vertebral segments.

I hope this helps a little

Little Ali
14th December 2005, 08:57 PM
Hi! :welcome:
My name's Ali. I'm 24 and have Spina Bifida with Kyhposcoliosis.

I don't have any exercises to suggest for you although I know that stretching the spine helps reduce mine. My friends are quite used to having a conversation with me while I'm leaning over to one side to stretch myself out! :roll:

Hope you like it here!

MOB
14th December 2005, 11:41 PM
Strechting exercises help me. I use a piece of equipment called an abslider.

mark
16th December 2005, 11:48 AM
Whats an Abslider Muriel

Jonny
16th December 2005, 12:39 PM
Go on Mark, you're the Googlemeister...

mike d
16th December 2005, 03:09 PM
thanks guys, I'll keep up the stretching and the few exercises I can do at home from Physical Therapy. I also have a suggestion for you guys, try getting one of those stability balls, it helps a lot while im trying to stretch

mark
16th December 2005, 07:55 PM
Hi Mike can you give us some idea of the type of exercises you have been given by your physical therapist

Where abouts in the world are you from Mike ?

Little Ali
16th December 2005, 07:59 PM
Any that don't involve standing or using the lower part of the body would be helpful for me too! I'm going to ask my Physio tomorrow so I'll let you know if I have any success.

MOB
17th December 2005, 02:17 AM
http://shop.bodybuildingforyou.com/ASOT/ab-slider.htm

mark
21st December 2005, 03:48 PM
Thanks Muriel

How did the trip to the physio go Ali ?

Little Ali
21st December 2005, 09:34 PM
It was really great this week Mark! I had a shoulder, neck and back massage and am definately feeling the benefits!! Cracked alot in the proccess but it definately did the trick!

I forgot to ask about the breathing but will this week!

mark
21st December 2005, 10:57 PM
Glad it went wel Ali

Take care

mark

Little Ali
23rd December 2005, 11:12 PM
Hi,
Went to the physio this evening. My neck had been cracking like mad and it was giving me grief, so he did alot of manipulation of the joints and it is definately looser now. My physio said that I can't really do much to stop myself getting so sore because of my posture (I guess it was a kind of stupid thing to ask! :idiot:) but he's given me some exerciss to do regularly that will help relieve my neck. They're like the one's Toni has posted on the site.

He says that the nerves in my back are a lost cause) or words to that effect, so if anyone has any suggestions how I can ease that I'd be really grateful as it's excrutiating!

:kiss: