PDA

View Full Version : How did your post-op review go John?

Abbi
9th December 2005, 01:51 PM
Just wondering how it went? What restrictions have you got?

zerodegrees
9th December 2005, 04:21 PM
Post op went ok though was a bit different from what I expected! Got the all clear to fly down to Nottingham (gap in lung now gone) which was a huge releif and saved a lot of tiime. They didn't take any x-rays or anything which I thought was a bit odd!

Turns out in true NHS style(not my job) that my appointment was for Mr Webbs clinic but as I was done by Mr Grevitt then I was at the wrong clinic which was not our fault. Des gave them the "evil eye" which sorted them out :-)

So, what they did say was that I'm not as far forward as most people due to the fact that I had such a difficult time in hospital following the unexpectedly long & complicated operation.

They are arranging for me to start physio to get some movement going in my upper body. They also want the physio to concentrate on my still collapsed lung. My left lung is still showing signs of collapse and a bit of fluid at the bottom.

Have been told I can start bending a bit and that I need to start walking further regularly. The wound looks good and in a few weeks can start swimming.

Been told that they want to see me in another 12 weeks & that I should expect to be off work for perhaps another 4-5 months due to the nature of my work. Have been told still not to lift much and to take it real easy.

On the whole it was a good report. They are v pleased with my posture and back shape. My kyphosis now measured a fantastic 38 degrees!!! For those of you not familiar with kyphosis measurements this is well within normal perameters! My scoliosis curve is gone!

In true form this morning I deicded to crouch down to "test" my knees out as I aint really used then since surgery. Good grief! I was like a very old man and it was rather painful!. I think I might need to take things easy for a bit longer!

Back to watching the zillionth episode of star trek! I am now desperate! I think we should pool our dvd's for those who have had surgery!

love john x

Abbi
9th December 2005, 06:03 PM
John, that is fanbloomtastic! :D 38* kyphosis, and your scoliosis curve is gone! WOO HOO!!! :D :clap: :jump:

I am a little confused though - were was your post op review? did you have to travel by car to Nottingham or was it in a local hospital?

oooh...and well done on the getting to swim in a few weeks...I wasn't allowed until I was 3mths!

oh, and the dvd thing - yeah, I know how that feels....I think I watched my whole collection of DVDs inside 5weeks (and I have around 40).....

I hope ur feeling a bit better (well done on everything)

miss_mystery786
9th December 2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by zerodegrees@Dec 9 2005, 03:21 PM
My kyphosis now measured a fantastic 38 degrees!!! For those of you not familiar with kyphosis measurements this is well within normal perameters!

John your doing great huni - just take it easy ok!!!

When you say 38 degrees is well within normal parameters what does this mean? Do you mean that a normal spine that needs no surgery measures at 38 degrees? Or do you mean that 38 degrees is normal for those that need corrective surgery?... Or have I just got the wrong end of the stick :woe: ?!

Love

Matina xx

BeckyH
9th December 2005, 06:35 PM
matina because kyphosis is an intentional curve in your spine (and a necessary one) there is a range which the curve should be within (it shouldn't be 0) so that's what john means - he's "normal" now, as opposed to too curved

john - that's good news, i still think you've done really well considering length of surgery, degrees of curvature and your age. at this point for me (when i was allowed to start doing stuff again) paranoia set in, but you should be fine. i know what you mean about squatting down - it was horrendous the first time i tried and i'm half your age having had about a tenth of your surgery!

it's funny, i didn't watch many films when i was invalided, i found other stuff to do (namely messing about on the internet)

glad to hear it went well and i'm really embarassed to say i actually forgot about it, i meant to text you and wish you well, sorry!

mark
9th December 2005, 07:12 PM
Matina, anything between 40 and 50 degrees is considered to be abnormal (hate that word but can't think of another one) and surgery is considered when the curve is above about 70 degrees all this isn't a hard and fast figure different surgeons will deviate slightly i think it also depends on a lot of other factors

So anything under 40 is normal and around 70 is considered severe enough for surgical intervention

mark

mark
9th December 2005, 07:18 PM
Thats great news John about your back you got a fantastic correction and a great scar in the process

i am really chuffed for you

now you and Des get of and get some winter sun you deserve it

jfkimberly
9th December 2005, 08:43 PM
Why, John... you're cured!

That doesn't mean you're allowed to go off and leave us, though!

Marcilo
10th December 2005, 06:31 AM
John, good to hear that your are doing great.

titch
10th December 2005, 10:28 AM
That's a fantastic correction - great news :-) As it goes, I wonder if they compared you to others of your age saying you're not as far forward - I know I was a lot slower to recover second time around at 29 than I was at 20. In any case, you're on track now, so let's hope the physio does it's trick :D

One thought - are you down to tramadol yet? You may find that as you go down the painkiller scale, that'll help with the lung sorting itself out, as the stronger painkillers can tend to depress the breathing somewhat.

zerodegrees
10th December 2005, 01:54 PM
Interesting thought titch on the painkiller thing. I am still on morphine (can you just imagine how many hallucinations I've had in total!!?!) I am on a reduction plan at the moment and should be moving to tremadol in a couple of weeks. I forgot that morphine suppresses your breathing. Hard to believe that I forgot when infact it actually stopped my breathing post surgery!

Abbi, we had the post op back at QMC in Nottingham. We drove there and back for the actual surgery but luckily this time we were able to fly which shaved a mamoth 4hrs off the journey time.

john x

miss_mystery786
10th December 2005, 03:59 PM
oooh becky thanks for the explanation...!

Mark from your figures I suspect mine is below 70 due to the initial correction - so perhaps they wont operate second time round...

John - wow I didnt realise you could get hallucinations from morphine! I was about 5yrs old when I had open heart surgery - and I distinctly remember thinking there was a supermarket on the ward - I guess the morphine would explain the hallucinations :P

BeckyH
10th December 2005, 06:13 PM
morphine is a narcotic after all - i hallucinated quite a bit while i was in hospital :D

thanks for giving me the range of degrees on what a kyphosis "should" be, mark. i know all the stuff for lateral curvatures (10+ considered scoliosis, 40-50 degrees and surgery will be considered etc) but didn't know the figures for kyphosis

mark
10th December 2005, 07:27 PM
Matina, each consultant is different if you get no joy from one don't give up go back to your GP and ask to be referred to another together we kind of know where most of the surgeons are.

Your only young don't worry and good luck i hope you pick the right surgeon.

Marcilo
11th December 2005, 11:14 AM
On the whole it was a good report. They are v pleased with my posture and back shape. My kyphosis now measured a fantastic 38 degrees

Here is another question, what would be the max lower value for this type of correction. I am sure that this is based on age, degree of curve but I was wondering how much they can go to

sins
11th December 2005, 12:59 PM
Hi marcilo,
here's a link to the NSF article on Kyphosis.I see the lower end of normal Kyphosis would be 20 degrees.It's great to see that John's kyphosis now lands in the upper region of normal. :clap:
I would think in most cases the surgeons would be cautious and correct to a safe level and not try to achieve the maximum limit of correction.
http://www.scoliosis.org/resources/medical...es/kyphosis.php (http://www.scoliosis.org/resources/medicalupdates/kyphosis.php)
Sins

mark
11th December 2005, 04:26 PM
Q:Is kyphosis as common as scoliosis?

A: Not at all. The incidence of scoliosis is roughly 2 in 100, whereas the incidence of kyphosis is approximately 1 in 1,000.

Wow does that make us special :-D

Thaleias spirit
11th December 2005, 10:03 PM
John that is great news !! You must be so pleased ...
Hopefully the physio will be able to help you & sort out the stiffness and lung issues. How did yo find the plane journet, especially due to te altitudes and oxygen issues?

As to getting bored and watching that zillionth episode of star trek, that won't bother me. The dvd's I have I havent watch in ages so theywill keep me company. plus I've asked my family to get me season one of Charmed on DVD, and hen theres my book collection that I've been adding to bu havent read any of the new stuff ..

and if I do run out of stuff .. there is always amazon for me to shop on.
(I won't send my family for me ... book/DVD/Music shopping is the only type of shopping I enjoy.)

zerodegrees
12th December 2005, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Marcilo@Dec 11 2005, 10:14 AM
On the whole it was a good report. They are v pleased with my posture and back shape. My kyphosis now measured a fantastic 38 degrees

Here is another question, what would be the max lower value for this type of correction. I am sure that this is based on age, degree of curve but I was wondering how much they can go to
The night before my surgery when the surgeon came to speak to me he said that he was aiming for about a 50% reduction. He said that they prefer to "err or the side of caution". He said they could get it down to 20 degrees but theres no point if your legs don't work along with your lovely new back! As you can imagine I wholeheartedly agreed! I must admit that I didn't think 50% would look perfect but it certainly does! As everyone has said the spine has a natural kyphosis.

Sealy
12th December 2005, 06:32 PM
Great news John ! :clap: :niceone:

miss_mystery786
12th December 2005, 06:54 PM
John that fab news - does that mean that the hump has gone??! *GASP!*

mark
12th December 2005, 08:29 PM
Yes Matina, Johns post pre and post op pics are in the gallery so you can see the fantastic correction he has

Marcilo
13th December 2005, 02:29 AM
He said that they prefer to "err or the side of caution".

Yes above statement makes sense, I am sure they do lot of analysis before they come to this conclusion.
So did he talk about Lordosis correction too?. Excuse my ignorance, I am not aware if that was true in your case

zerodegrees
13th December 2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Marcilo@Dec 13 2005, 01:29 AM

Yes above statement makes sense, I am sure they do lot of analysis before they come to this conclusion.
So did he talk about Lordosis correction too?. Excuse my ignorance, I am not aware if that was true in your case
Marcilo, amazingly I was surprisingly ignorant about my whole correction! I'm not sure about the lordosis thing but I'm sure they did a spot of correction there too. Perhaps one of our resident experts can advise. I was fused from T3-L3 which is a very long fusion even though my kyphosis & scoliosis was reasonably concentrated so I would imagine they did the lot!

Marcilo
19th December 2005, 08:57 PM
Marcilo, amazingly I was surprisingly ignorant about my whole correction! I'm not sure about the lordosis thing but I'm sure they did a spot of correction there too. Perhaps one of our resident experts can advise. I was fused from T3-L3 which is a very long fusion even though my kyphosis & scoliosis was reasonably concentrated so I would imagine they did the lot!

Yes, I would agree its really long fusion. The reason I asked was for the fact that I have read, with Kyphosis lumbar curve and curve in neck also increase. I was wondering if those curves go away when Kyphosis is treated or doctors / surgeon have to manage those curves too. Also do they do any thing to fix rib cage?

titch
26th December 2005, 09:33 PM
H Marcilo,

The lordosis in the neck and lumbar region do tend to reduce once the kyphosis is reduced - admittedly John is fused to L3, but if you look at his side view xrays you can see how much the profile of his lordosis has changed :-)

The rib-cage may well be fixed somewhat just by the basic surgery, but I see no reason that a costoplasty/thoracoplasty couldn't be performed as well. I guess it's not needed so much in most cases where the primary curve is kyphosis, because generally speaking, the smaller the scoliosis curve, the less rotation and hence the less problem with the ribs.

Hope that helps!