PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck with your surgery, Phil

Thaleias spirit
4th December 2005, 07:22 PM
Phil,

I can only imagine how you are feeling right now.
You will be constantly in my thoughts over the next few days
and I truly hope you get the results you wish for and deserve!!

You won't feel the time go until you are back here with us again!!

Take care

:squeeze:

chele

Little Ali
4th December 2005, 07:54 PM
You're a great guy Phil and we'll be thinking of you!

I hope they get a great correction.

All the best :squeeze:

mark
4th December 2005, 08:06 PM
Be thinking of you mate, you try and take easy and i hope you have a trouble free surgery and a fantastic correction

Ilook forward to reading all about it

mark

sins
4th December 2005, 08:11 PM
I can't believe it's almost time Phil.Let me wish you the very best,I hope it all goes well for you, that you get a great correction and a fast recovery.We'll be biting our nails to the quick waiting for news.here's to a bright Christmas with a straight spine.Good luck and God speed.
Sins

Sealy
4th December 2005, 08:17 PM
Wow, it's tomorrow already ? :-o Here's wishing you the best of luck :niceone:

BeckyH
4th December 2005, 08:38 PM
:squeeze: hope it goes well phil. i'll look forward to seeing you and your new spine at an SSO meet up in 2006

Lizzie89
4th December 2005, 08:39 PM
Huge huge Huge hugs to you Phil
Wishin you the bestest of luck
x Liz x

Sootyca
4th December 2005, 09:22 PM
Hope it goes well Phil and that you don't get too bored stuck in hospital.

Will be thinking of you.

Karen
x

MOB
4th December 2005, 09:37 PM
:squeeze: Good Luck Phil :niceone:

DublinPauline
4th December 2005, 09:41 PM
Good luck Phil, hope the surgery goes really well and that the recovery goes smoothly for you. Make sure all your nearest and dearest are going to pamper you big time for the next while. :-) :niceone:

rosie
4th December 2005, 09:52 PM
good luck Phil.
we're all thinking of you!
stay strong.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Abbi
4th December 2005, 10:27 PM
Phil, It was great chatting to your earlier....I hope I was able to give you some hope! You'll be just fine, I know it! From what you have told me your surgeon seems to be quite meticulous, and definitely knows what he is doing! Just relax, it'll be over in no time, and soon you'll be back at home, and online telling us how amazing your back looks!!! :-)

I'll be biting my nails all day tuesday to hear how it went, and probably will die from the stress....mind u it seems to be my turn to worry a lot....since I did it to you lot, not so long ago!!!

Just wanted to share this wee verse with you phil....a few people gave it to me in hospital....and it was encouraging:

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

Joshua 1v9

I'll be praying for you phil, don't worry at all! :squeeze:

and hey, if you get bored or anything on monday night....and can/want to chat - you know were I am!

Abbi xx

Phil
4th December 2005, 11:05 PM
Bless you all. I am still packing for my expected month in hospital. (Hopefully less!) I am pretty chilled right now although a little emotional about the thought of being 'out of it' for a while. Hopefully will not miss to much!

Thank you all for your kind messages, thank you Chele for the creation of this thread and thanks Abbi for our chat and that wonderful verse.

May you all take care and have a wonderful Christmas, I will see you all on the other side.

Take care, with love.

Jonny
4th December 2005, 11:20 PM
I'm sorry I just missed you - I wish you the best of luck, a comfortable stay and that you'll feel like it's been worth it sooner rather than later in your recovery.

Jonny

:-)

Maggie
4th December 2005, 11:32 PM
Good luck tomorrow phil! :niceone: Hope everything goes well and you have a good recovery.

jfkimberly
5th December 2005, 12:15 AM
Oh, it's here! Phil, very best of luck with your surgery. I sincerely hope they exceed your hopes and expectations. Are you going to be updating someone (Becky, perhaps?) with your progress... I can't imagine not hearing anything for a full month!

Abbi
5th December 2005, 12:24 AM
Kim....I'll be the updater for phil's surgery! Don't have a clue why he chose me for this mission! But, I'll try to live up to my predecessor Becky! :P
(not saying your updating days are over yet Becky - u may well be chosen again! :D)

but yeah, Phil is leaving home at 8am tomorrow, to be in the hospital by 10am! MRI scan at 10.30am, and being admitted to a ward at 2pm! Thats all I know for now, I am hoping to hear how he gets on tomorrow morning/afternoon! And so shall do my best to update u all on him!

RocketQueen
5th December 2005, 01:08 AM
Phil im so sorry I wasnt around to write in this thread earlier! I sent u a text though. I hope u got it. I'm looking forward to coming home tomoro and reading about how ur doing :). I know it's gonna be great hun. U'll be a star. x

Blair
5th December 2005, 01:43 AM
Thinking of you Phil!

jfkimberly
5th December 2005, 01:50 AM
Phew! Glad to see that someone has been designated, Abbi... Thank you.

Marti
5th December 2005, 03:59 AM
I'll be thinking of you, Phil. Best of luck!

titch
5th December 2005, 09:33 AM
Big hugs! :squeeze: I'll be thinking of you, and if you let us know what ward you're on there's a possibility of visitors ;-)

Jmullings
5th December 2005, 11:16 AM
Oh I am really sorry I missed you Phil.

We are all thinking of you and hoping that you get a trouble free surgery. You are in good hands.

Wishing you all the best

Jo

zerodegrees
5th December 2005, 11:48 AM
good luck Phil...we are all with you & thingking about you.

hurry back mate.

john

Abbi
5th December 2005, 12:28 PM
UPDATE

yes people, I have news! :D I have recieved and sent about 5-6 messages within 10mins (Phil and I are random complusive texters :P)

well....he is at the hospital now, and had his MRI: "Just finished my MRI. Painful lying down that long on the back. I had to sit in the waiting area in a see through paper gown. Sexy!"

haha....so he has discovered the joys of the see through gown - he'll not be too shocked when it comes to the surgery tomorrow, and finds out he has another one to wear!

I replied and said he is probably the only one to actually like his gown, and he said:
"It was made from paper, and covered nothing. Terrible!"

He seems to be holding up ok at the moment, I think he is a bit bored....waiting to get admitted to the ward....just wants things to hurry up, so he can get it all over with!

I asked him if he slept well last night, but he didn't.....only had 3hours sleep. And so I told him if he cannot sleep tonight he should ask the nurse for something, as his body really needs to be well rested to cope with the strains of surgery.

He is anxious to find out if he is allowed to have his phone on in the ward tonight, and if so he will call me!

Blair, Kim, Marti, Titch, Jo and John - I told Phil you all said Good luck after he left....and he says thank you!

Titch - he is on the Beach ward! I have his ward telephone number....which he said I can put on this thread....put since its a public fourm I am not sure! If anyone wants it, PM me for it!

and that is all for now! :-)

RocketQueen
5th December 2005, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the update Abbi. :) Keep em coming. :) x

Jmullings
5th December 2005, 01:18 PM
Thanks Abbi for letting him know we have sent our good wishes. Does he know what time the op is? I hope it is early, otherwise there may be lots of waiting.

I hope he manages to sleep tonight. He will need it. I took earplugs in with me and these helped a lot, as there is so much noise in the wards.

I never had to wear a paper gown, but I did have to wear nappie-like paper pants !!! Hideous. Mind you, when you are really nervous before the surgery any thing that makes you laugh is welcomed !!!

Abbi
5th December 2005, 01:29 PM
I think he said last night it would be about 8am, though I am not too sure! He is going to text me later today with more news, and so when I hear anything, you guys will too! :D

jfkimberly
5th December 2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks for passing along our messages, Abbi, and thanks for the updates! It sounds like he's doing okay. I hope he has a restful night tonight. I hate the waiting.

tonibunny
5th December 2005, 03:49 PM
Oooh, I hope Phil's feeling relatively relaxed and comfy right now.....Abbi, if you get in touch with him, please let him know I'm thinking of him!

Abbi
5th December 2005, 04:41 PM
UPDATE

I just got a text from Phil:
On ward in my own room. Not supposed to use phone. Have just had x-rays etc. Just had physio see me. Met one nurse who seems a right cow. Now alone. Bored.

so he is bored, which is all very normal.....I hope the time will pass for him quickly!
If anyone has his number, I am sure he would appreciate a little text to cheer him up!

It seems he is in a side room from that text, which I guess is good and bad!

I am not sure if I can call him tonight, if he isnt allowed his phone, but if I can't I have his ward number and may call to chat with him!

I texted him back a while ago, but no reply, so I guess he is trying to keep his phone hidden.....

will update when I get news later!

Lizzie89
5th December 2005, 04:56 PM
Boredom, lonelyness, evil nurses sounds like ur average stay in hospital :-P

Can u warn him not to text to much after the op as the phones tend to muck up morphine pumps. could be a problem.

All the best
x

Abbi
5th December 2005, 05:23 PM
MAJOR AMAZING UPDATE ON PHIL

:jump: :jump: ooooooh, I am well excited now!!!!!! I am actually grinning from ear to ear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

ok I will quit to the chase. Text from phil:
Just had my consultation with my surgeon. My second surgery has been changed to the 13th now, so I am pleased. In a side room with a dvd player. Should be out for xmas now. They think they're going to go through my diaphram to so another scar. Not sure yet though. Am under sheets textin

there was more....but my phone sometimes only gets half the message first (dumb thing) but....I will edit this if more news comes in!!!!

I am so so happy for him!!! He orignally had to wait 2weeks in between!!!! yay only one now!!!! :D

EDIT: see above!

lol - the end of his text made me smile! :-)

Maggie
5th December 2005, 05:25 PM
Oh thats great! He's gonna be out for Christmas *go phil* AND he gets a dvd player lucky bloke.

RocketQueen
5th December 2005, 05:27 PM
Aaaaw christmas at home after a major op. I cant think of anything more heavenly considering the circumstances.
:jump:

Abbi
5th December 2005, 05:43 PM
edited above post to add on end of message - see for more news! :-)

Maggie
5th December 2005, 05:44 PM
Ha ha! he has to hide under the sheets sorry I found that very funny.

RocketQueen
5th December 2005, 07:01 PM
Oh god! I can just imagine it, if i see n e one under the sheets when im in ill think its an sso-er. The hospitals are gonna start hating/dreadin us lot. x

Maggie
5th December 2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by RocketQueen@Dec 5 2005, 07:01 PM
Oh god! I can just imagine it, if i see n e one under the sheets when im in ill think its an sso-er. The hospitals are gonna start hating/dreadin us lot. x
Lol! According to Abbi you're allowed mobiles in the hospital where my op should be if not I can get my sister to post or get my sister to text Abbi but I'll be on the lookout for people hiding under the covers.

Thaleias spirit
5th December 2005, 07:24 PM
That is great news !! I hope it all goes very smooth so that he can be home before Christmas.

As for horrrible nurses, it's written law with a hospital!

For those who are interested in pursuing nursing as a career, please note the following pre-requirement:

With regards to hiring nursing staff, hospital administration must ensure that one nurse per ward is of a tough and non-understanding nature. This is merely to ensure that patients who become too attached to being waited on hand & foot, once having dealt with said nurse, will wish to vacate their bed and return home to their families.

The above is very true .. :glee:
(and if it isnt, it should be ... because it happens!)

Tell him to rest as much as possible and never mind him getting anything to relax him, he'll be aleep tomorrow, We shall be sitting waiting for news with our nails and hands bitten to pieces and hair pulled out, and elevated blood pressure waiting for news!!

mark
5th December 2005, 07:25 PM
Great news about the phils second surgery being moved forward a week. Tell him to keep that phone well hid it's his only link to the outside world

Abbi
5th December 2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Thaleias spirit@Dec 5 2005, 07:24 PM

For those who are interested in pursuing nursing as a career, please note the following pre-requirement:

With regards to hiring nursing staff, hospital administration must ensure that one nurse per ward is of a tough and non-understanding nature.* This is merely to ensure that patients who become too attached to being waited on hand & foot, once having dealt with said nurse, will wish to vacate their bed and return home to their families.

hahahahahah!!!! were did u find that chele!!!! its quite funny that they have a tough meanie nurse!

I don't think I was that demanding.....I no my family waited on me hand and foot....not the nurses! My nurses were mostly all mean!!!

Maggie
5th December 2005, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Abbi+Dec 5 2005, 07:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Abbi @ Dec 5 2005, 07:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Thaleias spirit@Dec 5 2005, 07:24 PM

With regards to hiring nursing staff, hospital administration must ensure that one nurse per ward is of a tough and non-understanding nature.* This is merely to ensure that patients who become too attached to being waited on hand & foot, once having dealt with said nurse, will wish to vacate their bed and return home to their families.

hahahahahah!!!! were did u find that chele!!!! its quite funny that they have a tough meanie nurse!

I don't think I was that demanding.....I no my family waited on me hand and foot....not the nurses! My nurses were mostly all mean!!! [/b][/quote]
Ha ha! Hilarious Chele! I'm looking forward to my family waiting on me hand and foot guess seeing as I'm gonna have the same nurses as Abbi did I'm not gonna have nice nurses.

Thaleias spirit
5th December 2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Thaleias spirit@Dec 5 2005, 07:24 PM

The above is very true .. :glee:
(and if it isnt, it should be ... because it happens!)

Okay I lied, it's not really true and it's certainly not written law.
I made it all up.
But it does make a hell of a lot of sense and it should be law ..

I bet if you ask anyone who has ever been in hospital if they have ever come across one nurse not that nice and they will say yes !!

BeckyH
5th December 2005, 09:03 PM
that's brilliant news, i hope it goes really well for phil. i did think it was slightly odd that they were going to do one surgery so close to christmas - it would cost the hospital loads to have him in with a planned surgery around that time so i was wondering if they'd make an exception (his surgeon only normally operates there every other tuesday, he told me) so i was half thinking this would happen and am very glad it has (well, hopefully. he also has to be well enough for a second surgery, which he should be)

fingers crossed for tomorrow: as an aside, this is a bit cheeky but i'm out all day tomorrow...could somebody with both my msn and my phone number text me his status? just so you know if i'm around or not and can get in touch :D (i assume a member of phil's family is letting us know when he's out of theatre?)

Sootyca
5th December 2005, 09:03 PM
Great news that the second surgery has been brought forward a week.

Keep up the updates! :-)

Thaleias spirit
5th December 2005, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by marmyte@Dec 5 2005, 09:03 PM
this is a bit cheeky but i'm out all day tomorrow...could somebody with both my msn and my phone number text me his status? just so you know if i'm around or not and can get in touch :D
what????? you can't go out !! you have to sit by the pc and bite your nails and tear your hair out in anticipation .. like the rest of us .. you are not allowe dto distract yourself ... :P

actually, on second thoughts .. you did all this with Abbbi so you're more than entitled to be out. It's Abbi's turn to go mad now .. :glee:

BeckyH
5th December 2005, 09:10 PM
abbi AND john, i'd like to add. i didn't mind too much actually, i quite like being updater because it means i definitely hear what's happening! but it's good to have a break too (admittedly) and strangely enough, i was less worried about john than i was about abbi, because qmc and stanmore are the only places i know and they're excellent, but i know less about other hospitals around the country

Abbi
5th December 2005, 10:13 PM
UPDATE

another small update. Phil battled the cold weather of outside just to talk to me!! (yes, I am touched...bless him!) he called me around 8.30, and I was out, so this is from memory.....sorry if I don't remember all of it!

well he said that around 6pm he noticed his bed was not made, and so went down to the nurses station to ask if someone was going to do it, and they said that he had to do it himself :-o (something about....the way a proper hospital bed is made is usually not comfy for patients) so he had to make it! He is yet to find a nice nurse....he said the nicest one was the one who told him to make his own bed! :-?

He mentioned to me that the surgeon may have to fuse some verterbrae under his diaphram and so may need to make another incision near his hip? (not sure if I got that right)

His surgery will take approx 8hours!!!!! man, that'll be one stressed out Abbi tomorrow, mind u I guess its my turn! I have the GP tomorrow and I am going swimming, so that will take my mind off it for a bit.

Becky, I will be able to text you as soon as I hear anything....his parents have my number, and I am the first point of conatct for us SSOers! :-)

He will be in HDU all of tuesday night, and expects to be back in his room Wed afternoon.

He had just seen his anaethesist when he called, and said he was a nice guy, and had explained everything pretty well!

All in all I think he is pretty relaxed about it all.....just wants it over with! Which is understandable!

His recently and possibly last text for tonight reads:

I'm still looking for a friendly nurse! They just told me they will wake me at 6am for a shower. Nice! Titch called the ward which was great! Now in bed. I'm hot.

and thats all for now, I am hoping to hear from him tomorrow morning to see what he makes of his very attractive gown, and stockings! :P

I am pretty nervous for him, and probably will have no hair or nails left tomorrow night.....

Amazed Jean
5th December 2005, 11:15 PM
Oh darn I missed Phil. I guess a prayer will still get to him so I'm off to find my rosary and as my sister says "do a lap on the beads" for him.

BarmyArmy
5th December 2005, 11:15 PM
I can't believe I missed Phil :( This is what happens when you only pop on this site for a few minutes. :ph34r:

*sends good vibes to Phil :D Thanks for the updates Abbi :niceone:

Good luck Phil :squeeze:

Liv
6th December 2005, 07:28 AM
Wow, time flies! Good luck, Phil!!! I'll be thinking of you today. :niceone:

zerodegrees
6th December 2005, 09:49 AM
Well done for updates abbi! Think I nearly sent Becky over the edge with my updates so she deserves a wee holiday. Great news on Phils surgery. Thank goodness I shave my head so I've got no hair to tear out. Sending him lots of good vibes. Let us know the second you hear anything...even if its just the colour of his surgical stockings :)

love john x

Abbi
6th December 2005, 10:20 AM
(SMALL) UPDATE

well, I actually managed to get up at 7am to send phil one last "good luck, you are a superstar and we all love u" message! so I am quite pleased with myself! :D

I got this message from him at 6.50am
Was woken by nurse and had shower. Now waiting in a nice gown. Had a crap sleep. I am worried about the spot on my face ;-) last txt for a while. Parents will keep you updated. See you after part 1.

and so thats all the news I have for now.....I am not expecting to hear anything until 5pm at least, because his surgery is expected to take 8hours! so if you don't hear anything before 5pm, don't panic!!

I went out and bought him a little get well soon card, and so will send it to him today....and hopefully when he gets it he will be well enough to be able to read it! :-)

Abbi

RocketQueen
6th December 2005, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Thaleias spirit+Dec 5 2005, 09:08 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Thaleias spirit @ Dec 5 2005, 09:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-marmyte@Dec 5 2005, 09:03 PM
this is a bit cheeky but i'm out all day tomorrow...could somebody with both my msn and my phone number text me his status?* just so you know if i'm around or not and can get in touch :D
what????? you can't go out !! you have to sit by the pc and bite your nails and tear your hair out in anticipation .. like the rest of us .. you are not allowe dto distract yourself ... :P

actually, on second thoughts .. you did all this with Abbbi so you're more than entitled to be out. It's Abbi's turn to go mad now .. :glee: [/b][/quote]
I hav to work from 12 till 9:30 :( sniff sniff! And i work in a shop so there are no puters about. I'm gonna be worrying at work, and not remembering how to use the till prolly.

x

Am loving the fact he's worried about the spot on his face, and not about the surgery! LOL

That just creases me up.

Hey Miss Abbi, thanks for doing that for me (sending a wee update that is). Also i know, 9 and a half hours is a nightmare, but guess wat, I hav to do it tomoro too! Oh and by the way I went out last night, got totally plastered. Turned up on my bf's doorstep drunk and dishevelled. Was extremely, drunk, and sick and couldnt remember how to use clothes. My poor man! What a saint, he didnt even grumble this morning when I got up and was sick again, and in a foul mood. So I am still hungover, and am facing 9 and a half hours of serving customers, and worrying about Phil!

Oh Joy! x

Abbi
6th December 2005, 10:26 AM
aww don't worry Emily....I'll send u a wee message on Phil's progress as and when I get news.

Can I just say though - 9.5hours at work ))HUGS(( hope it goes in fast! :-)

RocketQueen
6th December 2005, 10:32 AM
edit above x

Maggie
6th December 2005, 04:28 PM
I've been wondering about him all day! I think he's the first person to have surgery since I joined the site so never had to go through this.

I hope the surgeriy's gone well and that he'll soon be out.

Abbi
6th December 2005, 04:43 PM
Still no news :( I am getting a little anxious now, I know I said I didn't expect to hear until 5pm, but at 5pm it'll be 9hours!

I know his family are probably more worried than me.....but yeah, this is tougher than I thought it would be! I hope I hear soon!

BeckyH
6th December 2005, 08:57 PM
update

text message from abbi:

"news on phil: he is ok, op has gone well! that's all i know for now. my sister is being a pain and won't let me online! abbi x"

right

this is an official complain to management: this was supposed to be my surgery off! :hammer: but it's great news that phil is ok

Maggie
6th December 2005, 09:06 PM
Oh I'm so glad to hear the surgery went well! I've been wondering I know Abbi was going nuts earlier waiting on news.

andrea
6th December 2005, 09:18 PM
That's great news that all went well. Fingers crossed he recovers well.

Give him our best wishes when you speak to him Abbi!

Abbi
6th December 2005, 10:03 PM
UPDATE

yes, I know Becky has done it already....but I thought I would quote the direct text....so as not to misrepresent phil :P

Recieved this text at 8.49pm:
Hi is is philips dad. Just to let you know phil has had his first operation and everything has gone ok. One change of plan. Phils second op is on the 13th dec not the 20th. I will keep in touch. Garx

:bounce: :jump:
so....I am super happy he is ok....I was getting stressed after 6pm, cos I hadn't heard....so yay!!!

I will probably not hear anything until tomorrow....cos he is probably in HDU resting by now.

Becky - sorry you had to do that.....my sister was being a right pain.....hopefully it'll not have to happen again ;-)

Will bring u news, as and when it arrives! :D

Thaleias spirit
6th December 2005, 10:11 PM
Yeah !! First part is now over with !!!
This was such a long day .. I carried my phone around everyone and drove people nuts from looking at it & checking the time.)

Now that this part is over with, the rest should go really fast.
And he'll be back here with us before we know it!!

I think we might all get some sleep tonight now ...

:-)

RocketQueen
6th December 2005, 10:53 PM
Yeah dam right! I remember when it was Johns surgery I was up with u lot in a group convo, falling asleep at the screen, but worrying and having to stay awake till i heard something good. x

zerodegrees
7th December 2005, 10:38 AM
Fantastic news. I worried all day! Am pleased that bit's over with. The ball is now rolling and hopefully he's having a lovely drug induced "experience" in hdu.

John x

Abbi
7th December 2005, 02:37 PM
News <span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Update (with Abbi)</span>
This Just in:
(I am very hyper.....not like you wouldn't have guessed of course ;-) )
I texted phil's dad, to see how phil was doing today, and got the following reply:

He is back on ward, but not feeling too good at present. Should get him sorted soon. I told him you texted last night. Gary.

I replied and said that I hoped he wasn't in too much pain, and that if he was that they should ask for more pain relief, I also told him that I knew how hard it was for them to go through this, to stay strong, cos it'll get better.

Not sure if that is great advice, but I hope it helped!

Will bring you more news when I get it! :-)

Little~shedevil~dee
7th December 2005, 03:23 PM
great news hes doing so well

jfkimberly
7th December 2005, 04:17 PM
Abbi, you're doing a fantastic job, and it was thoughtful of you to reassure Phil's parents (and to encourage them to ask for more pain meds if he needs them!). When's his second stage, again? The 13th?

Abbi
7th December 2005, 04:23 PM
yeah 13th! Poor guy.....has to go through it all again! I wouldn't like to have to go through it again!

Little Ali
7th December 2005, 08:25 PM
I'm glad he's doing ok and I hope they're keeping him drugged up so he's not suffering too much

Lizzie89
7th December 2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by RocketQueen@Dec 6 2005, 10:53 PM
Yeah dam right! I remember when it was Johns surgery I was up with u lot in a group convo, falling asleep at the screen, but worrying and having to stay awake till i heard something good. x
Lol Emily i remember that!

Glad Phil is doing well. Gentle hugs to him n his family for getting thru this.

Praying for him
x Liz x

mark
7th December 2005, 09:18 PM
Fantastic news lets hope the worst is over for you now Phil. I hope the second stage goes as well as the first where all here for Phil when you get out mate.

Take care

mark

Summer Daisy
7th December 2005, 09:21 PM
I'm thinking of you Phil! Hope you recover well, and the next stage goes as well! We're all rooting for you! :squeeze:

xxx

Jules
7th December 2005, 09:22 PM
Oh no I can't believe I missed him before he went for his surgery!

I'm so glad that the first stage has gone well, give him my best wishes and i'm praying for him :squeeze:

Thaleias spirit
7th December 2005, 09:59 PM
I suppose not feeling too good straight afterwards goes with the terriory.
Still, hope it doesnt last too long and he starts feeling okay soon.
Im sure Phil will make sure he gets adequate pain relief from them too.
(he's listened to us lot prattle on about it enough times).

Abbi
7th December 2005, 10:19 PM
UPDATE
Got another text from Phil's dad:
Hi, phil's dad again, he had T8-L1 released through anterior surgery. Feeling not too bad. Constant bed rest, no movement allowed. Small area numb not far from wound. Uncertain why. Gary

I texted back, and reassured him this was normal, and that it would get better with time, and that I was glad he was feeling a bit better.

He replied with:
Thanks for that info. We have been a bit concerned. I will let phil know tomorrow. Gary.

so, he is doing well yay! Has the normal concerns of course, so I am glad I could put his mind at rest.

on a random note.....my friend was round while I recieved the message, and I just sort of mentioned that he said he was concerned about the numbness, and my friend asked if mine had gone away, but I said it hadn't.....so we decided to test it!

went and got a knife (a blunt one....don't worry - well it had a sharp bit) and I poked my side with it (gently of course) and I couldn't feel it! ha! great fun indeed....

....ok now u all think I am mad - but it was just a random test, I didn't cut myself, or damage myself in any way, so chill! :-)

mark
7th December 2005, 10:23 PM
Abbi your nuts never mess with knives they hurt and make you bleed and your mum wouldn't be happy if her carpets were all blood stained would she

Thaleias spirit
7th December 2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Abbi@Dec 7 2005, 10:19 PM
he had T8-L1 released through anterior surgery.
Um what does that mean? Is that what was fused?
Or something totally different ?

or do they have to free up some stuff before they fuse it ?
(its all so confusing)

Abbi
7th December 2005, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by mark@Dec 7 2005, 10:23 PM
Abbi your nuts never mess with knives they hurt and make you bleed and your mum wouldn't be happy if her carpets were all blood stained would she
lol - awww....u have went all "protective daddy" on me now....

I told u I didn't cut myself......it was the side of the knife,.....and was about as sharp as a pin.....it was fine, I was careful! I aint going to like stick a stanley knife into me like! Have already had a knife in my back - not pleasant! :P will be careful.....

Um what does that mean? Is that what was fused?
Or something totally different ?]

I was wondering that myself.....it doesn't mean they removed T8-L2? nah it wouldn't!

Right - we need a resident expert....anyone know??

Thaleias spirit
7th December 2005, 10:34 PM
Where's Jonny, Becky, Titch, Sins etc when you need them ?

We need help people !!! :help:

BeckyH
7th December 2005, 11:00 PM
somebody explained to me what a release is and i forgot - i have no idea why you consider me to be an expert! i felt like a right eejit - i had no idea what my surgery really involved (apart from hardware) until a long time after it was over. i never asked anyone to explain it to me before, i wasn't interested, i just wanted it over with (which perhaps wasn't too wise but it was my coping strategy. my logic was i'd be asleep while they were doing it so did i really need to know?) my expertise lies more in post op care and being a total stickler for restrictions

Abbi
7th December 2005, 11:07 PM
Its ok....jonny is on msn explaining....its all very interesting! :D I am saving it on word under "scoliosis surgery: lessons with Jonny" :P

if anyone wants a copy - give me a shout - this stuff should be published! :D

tonibunny
7th December 2005, 11:09 PM
"Release" just means that they remove the discs from in between the vertebrae, so they can pull the spine straight and pack bone in between the verts so they fuse :)

mark
7th December 2005, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Abbi@Dec 7 2005, 11:07 PM
Its ok....jonny is on msn explaining....its all very interesting! :D I am saving it on word under "scoliosis surgery: lessons with Jonny" :P

if anyone wants a copy - give me a shout - this stuff should be published! :D
And Mark

:spin:

Abbi
8th December 2005, 01:12 AM
oh yeah, sorry, I should have added...Mark is explaining too *ahem*

(love ya really Mark :P)

mark
8th December 2005, 11:59 AM
Thanks Abbi, any new updates for today

Abbi
8th December 2005, 12:44 PM
Sorry Mark.....none as yet! But anything new will be added to here when it comes through! :-)

RocketQueen
8th December 2005, 02:40 PM
It's good to hear Phils doing ok. Thanks for the updates Miss Abbi. :) x

Is anyone going to see Phil at some point? If they are can they let em knwo in advance? I might come with if i can.

x

Jmullings
8th December 2005, 03:04 PM
Great to hear that Phil's 1st op was a success. What a relief. And great news about the 2nd op being brought forward.

Jo x

Lizzie89
8th December 2005, 07:32 PM
Toni is exactly right :-) Its where they remove the disks in between each vertabra and cut through the muscles that help support the spine *shivers*
It leaves the spine unstable until the rods or whatever are inserted 2nd stage, this is why you are told to stay at minimal movement for the space in between :-D

Thanks for the updates Abbi x

Abbi
8th December 2005, 09:06 PM
UPDATE

Hadn't heard anything from Phil's dad today, so I texted to see how he was getting on.....lol, yeah I am a right wee pest aint I!

got this text a few mins ago:
Hi abby, not much change. He is more alert. I do keep him informed on who has asked. thx 4 your concern. Gary

so yeah, just a short wee text (he probably - thought "uh, not her again") lol....but its nice to know how he is doing

andrea
8th December 2005, 09:08 PM
Glad to hear he's doing well Abbi. I can't imagine not being able to move for a week, but I guess he probably doesn't feel much like moving anyway. Thanks for keeping us informed.

RocketQueen
9th December 2005, 12:26 AM
I'm sure he doesnt mind u textin him at least once a day to ask how he is miss Abbi. U have been a help to them in reassureing them, and answering some of thier questions after all. :).

zerodegrees
9th December 2005, 11:53 AM
glad he's ok.probably feels like he's gone thru the wars, fortunately its not too long till the final stage and then he can concentrate on getting better :)

Maggie
9th December 2005, 04:03 PM
Glad to hear he's doing better! I hope he knows how much we're worried about him! His next op is on the 13th right?

mark
9th December 2005, 06:37 PM
I'm sure he's pleased someone is looking out for his so much Abbi. Your doing a great job and great news Phil as John says the second stage wull be over before he knows it.

Abbi
9th December 2005, 09:41 PM
UPDATE

Got this message from phil's dad tonight:
Hi abby, latest update he has been on nebulizer today and had chest drain removed. But we are disappointed with the care he is getting. They take ages to do anything. I supose that is normal now. Gary

so that is good news, in that he has had his chest drain out!

I texted back, and said that I was pleased his chest drain was out, and hopefully that will make him feel better (I was going to say that maybe it will give him more mobility....but I remembered he can't move - whoops)
I said in reply to the level of care that, it is true of some hospitals unfortunately, and it'll be better when he gets home to his own bed. Told them to continue staying strong, and it'll be over soon :squeeze:

so I hope that brought some sort of comfort to them all!

I was disappointed to hear about his level of care, but I guess no one on sso has been treated at hitchingbrooke....so we didn't no what it was like!!

Anyways, 4more days, until his second stage - I bet he'll feel better when he can move again!

Thats all for now folks! :D

BeckyH
9th December 2005, 10:02 PM
i experienced a similar thing with some nurses take ages to act on your request (NOT good when that request is "can i have a bed pan please?")... you quickly learn which are the nurses who will bend over backwards and which will take their time

hope he's feeling a bit better

Maggie
9th December 2005, 10:54 PM
Glad to hear of another update! Just had to laugh when he spelt your name wrong (how bad does that sound) anyway glad his chest drain was removed I'm sure that was nasty.

I hope his surgery goes as well as the first.

Abbi
9th December 2005, 11:20 PM
Yeah....there were a few nice nurses (who mostly did the night shift....and I got used to them, and loved them) I think out of the 5 or so nurses that worked day shifts - 2were nice!!

I was fortunate in that I never had the experience of bed pans....nasty things!!

Maggie - I don't actually mind if people spell my name wrong....well it can be a tad annoying! I do correct people at times.....but phil's dad is an exception!
I went though stages with my name......It was Abi, Abbie, Abby, Abbey and....I it was also Abs too.....but I am liking "Abbi"

titch
10th December 2005, 09:13 AM
I'm so glad to hear that he's doing well *despite* the care. It is normal for things to take time, unfortunately, but even so some do take the mickey. Still, the most important thing is a good anaesthetist and a skilled surgeon, which Phil seems to have.

Becky, I thought things were supposed to be better in the waiting and service sense on the private side? I've heard reports from a much smaller hospital that it's really little better, just plusher looking to distract you.

Abbi
10th December 2005, 07:13 PM
UPDATE

Phil just called me! :jump: It was so great to hear from him! He sounds well (from what I heard anyways) even though we have broadband my line sucks - it gets fuzzy from time to time, and I had the added noise from my little sister - who occasionally ran out of the living room and went "guess what song is on now" (she is watching the record of the year thing)

But, I will try to get down everything I heard! He said that he has been having trouble breathing, and his oxygen levels are a little low...and so he has to have an oxygen tube in his nose about 4x per day! He is also still on a nebulizer!

He said they were going to remove his PCA today, but then decided not to do it until tomorrow! I think he also said he was on dopamine!
He said, the pain isn't too bad. The only thing that is annoying him is the fact that he is lying down and cannot move! (I tried to encourage him in that he only has to wait a few more days for the 2nd stage)

He asked how long after the posterior can u sit up, and I said maybe 2days (I think thats what it was for me)
I think he is looking forward to being able to get up and walk again!

He told me he had a lot of numbness (around his tummy and under his arm) - told him that was normal....and I still have slight numbness there too!

erm....not really sure what else he said, think he may be a little lonely - his parents have gone away for the weekend....and won't be back until monday, so if any of you want I have the ward number, if you wana cheer him up (i dont think I am so good at it)

Oh, he said he got my card, which is great!

Thats all I have for now! I think I'll try to ring him tomorrow - when the house is quiet!

oh, actually I have something else to add.....he hasnt been eating much or at all.....but he said that they are going to try to give him some soup and juice tomorrow, but he doesnt no if he feels like it....which is normal (I think...I didnt have much of an appetite) - he'll feel better in his own bed, and with home cooked food!)

Maggie
10th December 2005, 07:17 PM
Aww nice to hear an update! I'm glad he's well enough to talk on the phone. Sorry he feels so bad but I suppose thats expected. I hope he starts getting better soon send him our love Abbi.

miss_mystery786
10th December 2005, 07:25 PM
Awww bless him, he'll be ok :)

BeckyH
10th December 2005, 07:45 PM
hope this doesn't scare any pre-op people but: lucky phil - staying lying down means his pain should be ok, because it feels weird and gets achy when you start to move around i think. i can appreciate his frustration though (though i don't remember wanting to get up... i only wanted to get out of bed so that i could get home and didn't have to use bed pans anymore, not because i wanted to start walking :D)

Jmullings
11th December 2005, 06:24 AM
I can second that Becky. I used to dread the occupational therapists coming to get me up and moving every day. I wanted to get better every day, but I could be quite comfortable laid in bed and it was quite an effort to do a "log roll" and then push myself up. But I must admit, once I was up I was OK.

Did you have a bed pan Becky? Did you not have a cathater?

sally333
11th December 2005, 11:26 AM
Glad everything seems to be going ok for him now.
I had my surgery on Nov 22nd. I am so glad that around here they do it all at one time. My side surgery took about three hrs and then they flipped me over and did the back one and that took another seven hrs or so. All in all I guess when it is done that way it just takes so long as I was in surgrey for about ten hrs and that is not counting recovery.
I had very rude nurses after I got out of the nicu and was on the nero intencive floor area.
I couldn't get up or sit up past a forty degree angle for five days. I had to wait for my tlso brace to come. It was really hard to get up after that and painfull. The worst part is getting in and out of bed. It still is. In fact I am still sleeping on the chair because of that.
I am still very numb in places as my right hip area and right side where they went threw.
And for crying out load I can't wipe my hind end as my arm will not go dowm that far. Has anyone had that problem. Cause I really need for that to go away.

titch
11th December 2005, 12:30 PM
You should actually be able to buy/order a wiping tool to assist for a while until you get flexible again - any disability aids store or catalogue should have them, apparently they come in various styles. It'll get better as the swelling continues to go down and you learn better how to move with your new body.

sally333
11th December 2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by titch@Dec 11 2005, 12:30 PM
You should actually be able to buy/order a wiping tool to assist for a while until you get flexible again - any disability aids store or catalogue should have them, apparently they come in various styles. It'll get better as the swelling continues to go down and you learn better how to move with your new body.
Yes I did get som kind of tool that looks like a kitchen tong or something,it is very difficult to use. Am I the only one that had this problem after this surgery or are there more of you out there?

Thaleias spirit
11th December 2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by marmyte@Dec 10 2005, 07:45 PM
hope this doesn't scare any pre-op people but: lucky phil - staying lying down means his pain should be ok, because it feels weird and gets achy when you start to move around i think.
You know, all along I was fine and very nonchalent about it all ...
but that's kind of worn off. Reading anything about it is getting under my skin a hell of a lot more than I anticipated. then again maybe in phil's case it's bothering me more because I've met him twice.

But I suppose the more I know about how much I can do afterwrads the better prepared I can be, right?

either way, only 2 more days and Phil has the surgery part all over with!
And hopefully be home in time to spend Christmas with his family.

Abbi
11th December 2005, 02:40 PM
aw chele :squeeze: I totally know how you feel.....before knowing about my surgery date, I was talking to others about their surgery, and when I saw threads on surgery, it didn't bother me....but then coming up to the date I was like "yikes, I have to actually have this done to me"

but seriously - don't worry at all.....you WILL be fine, it will be over like a shot!

And your right, the more you know now the better prepared you are (well to a certain extent....as everyones surgical experience differs)

but hey, if you want to chat about anything - you know you can always catch me on msn....we are all here for you hun xx

Little Ali
11th December 2005, 08:37 PM
I'm really pleased to hear Phil is doing so well! :bounce:
Looking forward to hearing more updates.

And Chele...I'm here for you too! :squeeze:

Lizzie89
11th December 2005, 09:22 PM
I barely ate at all over the 2 weeks i was in hospital

It took me long to be mobilised, but i only had anterior and had to wait for my TLSO brace to be casted n made.

Glad to here phil is recovering well and on the mend :squeeze:

Abbi
11th December 2005, 11:03 PM
UPDATE

got a text from phil's dad today

Hi abbi, how r u doing. Phil is medically improving but emotionally he is a bit down. He has started thinking he might have the wrong decision. I know he will change his mind when he gets home. He has had chest drain removed. Gary

ok, so phil is starting to experience what no doubt all of you (who have had surgery) have experienced - emotional moments, I had, and still do have a lot of teary moments! I think I was about 9weeks post op, and I actually thought - hey this has been worth it, and it has!

I texted back and told him not to worry too much about the emotional part....its a mix between the drugs, and just the surgery itself....he is probably in pain, and the fact that he cannot move doesnt help much! But I know once this second stage is over and he can move, and get home and start getting properly on the mend, he will be ok!

I like this lyric from a song, and I did use it once or twice in relation to what phil is going through - "to taste the sweet, I face the pain"
so this is phils pain, and soon he will see the amazing results of it!

No doubt all of you surgery people will agree with me on that!!

erm so - I think that is all I have to say really!

titch - did you go and visit phil today btw?

BeckyH
11th December 2005, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Jmullings@Dec 11 2005, 06:24 AM
I can second that Becky. I used to dread the occupational therapists coming to get me up and moving every day. I wanted to get better every day, but I could be quite comfortable laid in bed and it was quite an effort to do a "log roll" and then push myself up. But I must admit, once I was up I was OK.

Did you have a bed pan Becky? Did you not have a cathater?
um... warning, graphic post alert :P

i had a catheter, yes. however, they took it out and i wasn't very good at moving yet so they refused to get me up every time :-( and of course, there's only so much a catheter can do anyways :oops:

thesatindoll
12th December 2005, 08:55 AM
[/QUOTE] lIZZIE89: I barely ate at all over the 2 weeks i was in hospital
It's really good to hear the Phil is doing well, I love hearing nice things!

And Lizzie - I ate barely anything, the food was vile, so as soon as I could walk I was getting hot baguettes and stuff from the concourse. I think that the hospital should have a diet book released because I lost 8lbs, and my appetite in general. :cry:

titch
12th December 2005, 10:38 AM
2c and I did go to see Phil yesterday :-)

He's definitely down, but I think that's not surprising - as all of us who have been through it know, you do get miserable at various points during the recovery, especially earlier on. And in his case, he's waiting for the second stage to be done tomorrow, so he's feeling in most respects so much better that he just wants to be able to move, get up, get out and go home to recover, yet has the second stage hanging over him. I'm sure that he'll feel a lot better once he's got that out of the way as then all of his recovery is *real* recovery, nothing more to follow except just getting better.

They're thinking that he's going to be out by 23rd, which I think is reasonable, although given how well he seems to have recovered from the first stage, I wouldn't be too surprised if he manages to get out before then.

He seemed to be having more of an issue with being very uncomfortable than with being in actual pain as such - they do seem to have decent pain control there. He wasn't too impressed at being made to eat, and the soup that he had, from a beaker, just wasn't too nice - that's often a problem, not only is hospital food generally mediocre, but your taste buds just aren't up to much (when they first had me eating again, all I could actually stomach was the desserts, and at that only if they had custard with them so they weren't so dry).

Physically he looks in good shape though, which I was really pleased to see :-) I'm sure that once he gets through the second stage he'll improve rapidly and will feel better about the whole thing, and I've no doubt his recovery will speed up once he's away from hospital and being pampered by friends and family.

zerodegrees
12th December 2005, 12:44 PM
will be glad for him once tomorrow's over. I remember thinking "what have I done", but that poasses. A few good cries sorts you out!

I remember being extremely frustrated even just trying to slide along in bed. It was such a mamoth task.

Chele - we are all here for you. Remember how scared I was? You'll totally breeze it when its your turn.

Strangely I didn't need a "wiping tool" thankfully! Des said that he was going to use the garden hose rather than do that for me!! Perhaps I have gorilla arms!

BeckyH
12th December 2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by titch@Dec 10 2005, 09:13 AM
Becky, I thought things were supposed to be better in the waiting and service sense on the private side? I've heard reports from a much smaller hospital that it's really little better, just plusher looking to distract you.
sorry i didn't reply to this earlier, titch - i missed it!

to answer your question, during my scoli treatment i've been to 3 hospitals: bolsover street (same as a lot of other people here, i've only been there i think 3 times and only ever to see the orthotist, never to see my surgon); stanmore (where i had surgery, i've not been there for anything else); the wellington (which is next to lords cricket ground in london - i've had all my consultations, my MRI and most of my xrays there)

the welly is really posh looking but the staff can be shapeless. the waiting area for outpatients is poorly laid out and there are always about 4 staff who seem to be standing chatting and doing no work. you have no idea how much this all winds me up. :rant: as for the private wards at stanmore - well jonny can tell you a bit too as he came and visited me. i really liked my room: it backed onto a rubbish patio but this meant i had an outside door so could have that open to keep it cool. some of my nurses were fab and some were rubbish, i think you're right to an extent with your assessment that it's just a posher environment. when i was in hospital i had to wait for xrays like everyone else, because it's just a private ward in an NHS hospital.

as regards waiting times - what waiting? if i had a problem, i could pick up the phone and arrange to see my consultant next week. ok i wouldn't get the time i wanted, but when i'm booking an appointment 6 weeks or more in advance, i can go for whichever time i like (providing he's at the welly of course!) and it's great. surgery... i don't know how long the private list is, because i just asked for surgery after my A levels. so there you go. i nicely hi-jacked phil's thread i think :D

Jmullings
12th December 2005, 02:49 PM
It is no surprise Phil is down. I found the whole experience to be an emotional rollcoaster !!! One minute I was up next I was in tears. It won't be helping that he isn't eating either.

I am sure things will improve once he has had the posterior stage and can start moving.

Abbi
12th December 2005, 03:50 PM
UPDATE

I just got a text from phil (so he must have been sneaky with his phone *tut tut* lol!)
he says he is bored and feeling down, and can't wait for this second stage to be over!

I *tried* to encourage him a bit, and said he only has one more day to go!
But I know 1day in hospital feels like eternity! I feel sorry for him, and I wish there was something I could do to cheer him up!

I think I'll try to call the ward tonight, to see if I can speak with him.....failing that I will text phil's dad for an update!

well.....less than 24hours and it'll all be over for him! Soon, he'll be at home reading this thread, and saying "yeah it was worth it" :squeeze:

Hang in there phil - it gets better!

UPDATE

got a text from phil:
had x-rays today. which was hell. Also had dressing changed which hurt a lot. They hope for me to be released 23rd Dec. Can't wait for it to end

ouchies.....post op x-rays, they are not good! tried to encourage him yet again, dunno if its working - does any one with his number want to help me??

Maggie
12th December 2005, 05:34 PM
Oh yay! If he gets out on the 23rd he'll be out for christmas which is great!

jfkimberly
12th December 2005, 06:55 PM
Aaagh, poor Phil! Abbi, dear, you're doing such a great job! Next time you talk to him, tell him we're all just as impatient for him to get back to SSO as he is, and that he's doing a great job. It'll be over soon (not soon enough to suit him, I know!), and he'll be so glad he did it after it's over with.

mark
12th December 2005, 07:54 PM
Hello Abbi if you PM me his mobile i will send him a couple of texts

mark

Little Ali
12th December 2005, 08:34 PM
And me please!

Abbi
12th December 2005, 11:41 PM
Just to let you dudes know.....phil is due to go down to theatre around 9am (a little later than before)
and the surgery is due to take around 7hours (again long for one stage -maybe his surgeon wants to take his time, and get it perfect :P)

I haven't been talking to him today....he texted those last few texts, I did ask him if I could phone his moblie, but got no reply - so I assume that its off!

Anywho....his dad texted me, and told me he would keep me updated tomorrow! :D

RocketQueen
13th December 2005, 08:14 AM
Hey Abbi, I text him a nice messgae the other day, saying good luck, and not to worry coz everything will be just fine etc. So hopefully I helped a bit too. I'm sure he knows how much were all rooting for him anyways even though most of us prolly dont. have his number to text him :).
I sent u a text last night Miss Abbi, I hope u got it!? Can u be a darling and send me another "wee text updating me later on!" I'll be at work till 6:30 and im not sure if ill come straight home. Ill text u when i get home and that will mean u don't hav to send me a message coz i can check the board.
Is this ok?
Love u lots.

zerodegrees
13th December 2005, 10:24 AM
Here we go again! I can't believe how stressful it is everytime one of us goes under! Have everything crossed & looking forward to hearing its all done.

Good luck Phil, we're all with you mate!

ps. I so forgot about post op xrays! not pleasant when they come to your bedside with the portable machine and stick the film behind you!

andy_d
13th December 2005, 11:01 AM
Good Luck Phil...

I'm sure a few weeks after you're home, you'll be reading these messages and feeling alot more upbeat about things. :niceone: :-)

Abbi
13th December 2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by RocketQueen@Dec 13 2005, 08:14 AM
I sent u a text last night Miss Abbi, I hope u got it!? Can u be a darling and send me another "wee text updating me later on!" I'll be at work till 6:30 and im not sure if ill come straight home. Ill text u when i get home and that will mean u don't hav to send me a message coz i can check the board.
Is this ok?
Love u lots.
aye, sure no bother like! :D Got your txt this morning, thank-u mucho!

titch
13th December 2005, 11:31 AM
They rolled me down to the main xray department in my bed, complete with all my drips and stuff, when I had to have a chest xray following the surgery while I was iller than they thought I should be and were worried that I had a chest infection (I had quite a temperature that refused to go down, and my sats were pretty poor for a while there - just seems to be how my body chooses to react to things). I'm *really* glad I didn't have to have a plate put under me! I wonder if it's partly size related? I'm pretty heavy, so the official rules require several people to move me, so it might have been standard practice based on that.

Anyway, back on subject, I'm currently on tenterhooks with the rest of you, hoping it doesn't take too long and all goes well. At least this week I have internet connection again, which is a relief - although many thanks to Chele last week for txting me the update in the evening. When you get back and can read this thread Phil, you'll know it couldn't possibly have gone anything other than well with all us lot rooting for you :D

mark
13th December 2005, 12:01 PM
Thinking of you today Phil

Jonny
13th December 2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by zerodegrees@Dec 13 2005, 10:24 AM
ps. I so forgot about post op xrays! not pleasant when they come to your bedside with the portable machine and stick the film behind you!
Not at all pleasant - especially when they stab you in the middle of a fresh thoracoplasty with the corner of the cassette :cry:

It's been three hours beyond the predicted seven - I know there's a lot of overhead time each side, so a text on the dot of 3 was unlikely, but Abbi, any news?

Thaleias spirit
13th December 2005, 06:33 PM
Was talking with a while ago and she didn't mention anything about Phil.
So I don't think there was any news yet.

Abbi
13th December 2005, 06:57 PM
UPDATE

I just got this text from phil's dad about 5mins ago:
Hi abbi. Phil came back from op at 4. he has T5-L3 fused. On usual monitors and a back drain. Gary

so, I am glad its all went well, and he has this final stage behind him - he can now start recovering! Hopefully he'll be feeling a lot better in a few days when he can finally get out of bed, poor guy is probably very fustrated!

Will update more as the news comes in! :D

mark
13th December 2005, 07:06 PM
Great news Abbi he can now start the recovery process

BeckyH
13th December 2005, 07:16 PM
glad he's ok

Lizzie89
13th December 2005, 07:45 PM
Im so glad he's ok :-D

Thaleias spirit
13th December 2005, 07:45 PM
Well thats the surgery finished with now !!!
So yeah, he can start looking forward to going home.
That alone should help him with his recovery right?

Anyways .. Phil, you did it !!! You'll be giving us advice next !!!

Little Ali
13th December 2005, 08:41 PM
Glad to hear you're doing well Phil!

Thinking of you during your recovery! :bounce: :niceone:

Sootyca
13th December 2005, 08:50 PM
Glad that Phil has now gotten this out of the way. Hope your recovery goes smoothly. :)

Karen
x

Maggie
13th December 2005, 09:13 PM
Glad to hear it went well :niceone:

titch
13th December 2005, 09:48 PM
So glad to hear that it's all gone well! It's all going to be up from here :-)

zerodegrees
14th December 2005, 11:58 AM
Hooray! Another success. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery and no post op drama! Can't wait to hear about the correction that was achieved though that usually takes a while. Hope he's pressing that pca button!

Jmullings
14th December 2005, 08:54 PM
Great to hear that the surgery was a success. Now he can look forward to getting home for Christmas and eating some nice food !!!

Jo xxx

Abbi
14th December 2005, 11:57 PM
UPDATE

Hey gang - well hadn't heard anything on phil - so I texted his dad.....and he said that he was doing well....but was getting hot sweats! I told him that, that was probably due to the tremendous heat in hospitals!

Seriously - it is so warm....most of the time, when I was more independant and able, I just slept with a light sheet over me, and sometimes I just slept in my jammies with no sheet!

anyways, I am glad phil is doing well....he'll be glad to get home next week, into his own bed and with homecooked food!

His dad says thanks for the support - we are more help than we will ever no! (told him thats what we are here for :D)

RocketQueen
15th December 2005, 11:48 AM
Awwww im so happy for Phil. And so happy that we went some way to helping make it all easier on his parents. :) x

zerodegrees
15th December 2005, 12:11 PM
great news abbi! Lets get him home now and back amongst the mad people!

mark
15th December 2005, 01:30 PM
Sooner he's back amongst us the better. He will be better in know time

Abbi
15th December 2005, 10:14 PM
UPDATE

Got a text from phil's dad.....it reads:
Hi abbi. phil is doing ok. He did lose more blood through his back drain than they expected. But he did have his back drain removed today. And believe me I had a go at the managers. His bed collapsed. They have put him on another bed. :-o I should hope so!!!!!
They have said he will be home in the middle of next week. we r looking forward to that. thats all for now. Gary

so, thats the nightly update folks!

I am a little shocked they took his back drain out, after two days, while he was still losing blood....usually they wait until its clear, and not draining a lot don't they?

anyways, its great he is doing well.....soon he'll be back on SSO! :D yay!

Jonny
15th December 2005, 10:18 PM
Good news that he's doing well - thanks Abbi :-) They'll have had clearance from a doctor to take the drain out I'd have thought - many people don't have posterior drains anyway. I didn't.

But his bed collapsed? :-o :-o I can't imagine how painful and scary that could be post-op! I hope it wasn't too violent and didn't tilt to one side at all.

I can't promise but I'm going to try my best to get down and see him on Saturday. I'll need my mum for wheels, though...

Abbi
15th December 2005, 10:21 PM
yeah, I told his dad you *might* be coming, but you weren't sure - so he won't tell phil as yet!

zerodegrees
15th December 2005, 10:38 PM
cheers abbi..thanks for update..if uc him jonny say hello for me mate!

mark
15th December 2005, 11:17 PM
me too tell him we are thinking of him

RocketQueen
15th December 2005, 11:25 PM
Great! He just had spinal surgery, and his bed collapsed?!?!"?!?!?!?!?!

Yes Jonny,if u see him tell him I wouold have LOVED to come down and cheer him up. Only they won't let me have anymore days of before X mas :(.

sally333
16th December 2005, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Jonny@Dec 15 2005, 10:18 PM
Good news that he's doing well - thanks Abbi :-) They'll have had clearance from a doctor to take the drain out I'd have thought - many people don't have posterior drains anyway. I didn't.

But his bed collapsed? :-o :-o I can't imagine how painful and scary that could be post-op! I hope it wasn't too violent and didn't tilt to one side at all.

I can't promise but I'm going to try my best to get down and see him on Saturday. I'll need my mum for wheels, though...
I'm can't imanage anyone not having a back drain after this surgery. I had one and I had it in for about six days. It was also draining alot. I also after a few days lost too much blood. I had to receive three units just to make up for it. I went into surgry with a hemaglobin of 14 went down to 9 in surgery and two days later it had dropped down to six. I got my three bags of blood and that brought it up to 11.
So I am surprized they removed it after two days also.

Abbi
17th December 2005, 01:01 AM
UPDATE

I got this message at 7.30pm tonight: (but I was out at the ball tonight, and so I'm only getting round to posting it)

Hi abbi. news update. Phils back drain is removed. And he has been on his feet and taking a few steps. On his way now. Cheers. Gary

so that is awesome, he has been walking (I'm sure it wasn't easy phil....but we are proud of you :niceone:)

His drain was removed today, I thought it was yesterday (must have misunderstood the text)

I texted phil, and told him he was doing so well, and that we are all proud of him! He'll be back on here in no time....! :D

Abbi x

titch
17th December 2005, 10:38 AM
Woohoo! We should have him back nice and soon :-)

Thaleias spirit
17th December 2005, 12:04 PM
Great to hear he's back on his feet!!
The bed collapsing is terrible!! I hope Phil & hs family have given the staff hell for it! The fact he is up & moving after that happening has to be good though, didn't cause too much of a problem.

mark
17th December 2005, 01:59 PM
great news Abbi

another stage towards recovery

Jonny
17th December 2005, 06:46 PM
Just back from visiting Phil :-)

He seems animated, and in good shape! He's got a lovely whopper of a fusion and is able to move on his bed by himself.

He has indeed been moving, although at first out of necessity. His bed decided to lower itself and they changed it, which meant he had to transfer to another bed, and he managed it OK. He's walked across the ward a couple of times, but this morning went to the toilet, and no-one came to help him back out for ten minutes, by which time he was decidedly light-headed and couldn't feel his feet!

He's likely to be discharged next week of course, but still no idea when abouts in the week. His PCA was taken today and replaced with some form of codeine, so all that remains is to get him moving properly.

And of course the phone picture: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/jonajsil/Image143.jpg

Abbi
17th December 2005, 07:22 PM
WOW!!! phil looks incredible 4days post op! What I would have given to look like that!

Thanks for the update Jonny! I am glad you visited him, I am sure it was nice to see a friendly face! :-)

Amazed Jean
17th December 2005, 08:38 PM
Good golly Phil you look amazing after the whole ordeal! I hope you continue to progress so well. I 'm sending gentle hugs and a few prayers. JEAN

Thaleias spirit
17th December 2005, 10:25 PM
You know, if I didn't know he had surgery then to see that picture I would doubt it all. The last few people that had surgery & posted pics, ye all looked amazing. (that goes for you also Ms. Abbi).

There's no way I'll look anyway that good.
(think I'll employ a makeup artist to come in ecah day and fix me up first).

Anyways ..
Phil !! You've done brilliantly!! You'll be home in no length.
Just be really nice to staff and they shall send you home quick smart - in time to have Christmas Dinner with your family!

BeckyH
17th December 2005, 11:03 PM
yeah phil looks very "with it". i was a grumpy cow when i'd just come off morphine :D

RocketQueen
18th December 2005, 11:18 AM
I hope u all realise that if ne one vistis me they are not tekking pictures.

Becky u had every reason to be a grumpy cow if ud just come off morphine x

BeckyH
18th December 2005, 12:54 PM
emily you have to have pictures for posterity! i swear they help you get better - i looked at the ones of me in HDU a couple of weeks later and realised how far i'd already come. and i look at them now and can't believe it was only 5 months ago

Abbi
18th December 2005, 03:39 PM
I got a text from phil, last night and this afternoon, I don't think he is feeling that great, which IS understandable, being through such marathon surgery like that!
He tried to sit up and eat something today, but he couldn't keep it down, and is feeling a little miserable! I have tried to encourage him....but dunno if it is working! I asked if I could ring him, but its not possible!

He'll be home soon anyways! :-)

(Becky - woo, well done u, 5mths :D :niceone:)

Little Ali
18th December 2005, 05:34 PM
Wow! He's doing so well! Good on you Phil! :jump:

RocketQueen
18th December 2005, 06:28 PM
Becky- I guess you have a point, besides I am partially joking, and u could prolly tek em ne ways, since i would be too weak to fight n e one off. lol

zerodegrees
19th December 2005, 10:33 AM
Am outraged that he looks so healthy! How can that be? Seriously am pleased that its all going well. Eating & keeping it down was a bit of an issue for me at first too. Couldn't believe I could actually loose my appetite! The best part was that I could fit into my Ted Baker jeans afterwards, sadly though they are now at the back of the wardrobe again!!

Abbi
19th December 2005, 12:58 PM
Got another message from phil this morning, and he has kept his breakfast down (woo hoo!!!)
He says he is "trying to force physio to do the stairs" with him, so that is good.....cos if he can do them well enough, he can get home! :D

He did mention that he was hardly sleeping! (this was the same for me in the first week there too.....but I am sure when he gets home to his own bed he will be fine)

sins
19th December 2005, 02:52 PM
Good to hear Phil is starting to make progress.I can imagine how much he's looking forward to getting home.He's got what it takes to fight a good physical battle and get straight on the road to recovery.Give him my best wishes Abbi.
Sins

BeckyH
19th December 2005, 06:57 PM
john - you're hardly one to talk, you looked fantastic when i visited you (if a little dramatic)

abbi - i did what phil's doing, nagged the physio and the doctors and the pharmacist until they got themselves in gear to get me home. i wanted out :D

Lizzie89
19th December 2005, 07:59 PM
Im glad to here he's doin well it took me literally weeks to keep a decent meal down. So breakfast is brilliant progress.

Im afraid i cant join the "hey take a photo of me/i looked great after surgery" club, i looked like id been pulled through a hedge backwards several times before having my surgery :-P

Abbi
20th December 2005, 10:32 AM
UPDATE

Got a text from phil's dad this morning! Phil has been sitting up and walking more today! and should be due to get out soon....a few days maybe!

Great news! :-) I told his dad to try to encourage him to walk more, cos the more he shows that he is independant, the quicker he will get out!

EDIT: text from phil - He was told that he was anemic today, and they have started him on iron! He also said he had a shower today! He had no idea when he is due to be out.....and is praying its before xmas

RocketQueen
20th December 2005, 05:03 PM
I hope he is out b4 x mas too, would be a shame if he isnt, mebbe they can post pone x mas day for him? :). Lol

Uuuum what was I going to say? I have totally forgotton.

Little Ali
20th December 2005, 09:40 PM
Wow! Walking and everything! Really pleased that he is doing so well! :bounce:

mark
20th December 2005, 10:27 PM
I'm sure he will be out before xmas its good to hear your progressing so well phil.

zerodegrees
21st December 2005, 12:28 PM
fingers crossed he gets out on time! I was anaemic too after surgery. I wonder if its a "thing" that comes with major surgery! Am pleased he is sitting and walking! I was deploying all tactics to stay in bed at his stage!

Abbi
21st December 2005, 05:20 PM
UPDATE

Hey, me and phil have been having 'textathons' from last night until this afternoon.....but I am currently in Huddersfield (in a skank internet cafe, which doesn't work well)
so I will try to get a lot of info down before this computer goes all funny! *crosses fingers*

ok phil is getting out of "the hell hole" (as he put it) on friday (23rd Dec) a little later than he had hoped, but "at least its before xmas"

Last night he texted, and said that his breathing still felt a bit restricted, and that sleeping in the hospital is impossible!
I told him to check with the dr about his breathing.....and that it wouldn't be long until he is home in his nice cosy bed again!

His dad texted, and said he had grown a massive 3" :-o which is an incredible amount! He said he is now 5ft 11" and looks different.....(is skinner too) new wardrobe there phil.... :D
I asked about his pain levels, and he said they were ok, they had changed his drugs, as others were not working!

Phil is really not liking hospital food (surprise surprise) and he is looking forward to home cooked meals (and a small christmas dinner)....as he had a horrible beef stew at lunch time! (I told him when he gets him, baby portions will be easier to eat at first)

He also told me that the person down the hall is yelling, and that he wanted his baton! Ha!!! (violence never solves anything phil :P)

I was anxious to know about the degree of correction, but he said measurements had not been done yet!

He also mentioned a girl had just come back onto the ward from scoli surgery....and he is hoping to say hi (and give her SSO's address - lol, thats what I like to see....a bit of pubility :P)

And so I do believe that is all I have for you now! (phheww.. that was long)

Abbi xx

mark
21st December 2005, 07:33 PM
Your doing a fantastic job Abbi :-D

sins
22nd December 2005, 09:13 AM
So happy to hear he's due to get home on Saturday.I think there's a point at which staying in hospital is of no more use to you and he seems to be there now.Noone can sleep in a hospital.Thanks for the updates Abbi.
Sins

Jmullings
22nd December 2005, 09:25 AM
Great to hear that Phil gets out tomorrow. I also had a very low blood count after surgery and needed iron supplements. But I think this is just due to losing a lot of blood during surgery.

Anyway, all the best Phil and hope you have a great Xmas at home !

Jo x

zerodegrees
22nd December 2005, 11:57 AM
Hooray...getting out for xmas...top result!

BeckyH
22nd December 2005, 02:26 PM
i think you're right sins. for me, that time came when they took my narcotics away :hammer: i was all: "fine, if you're not going to give me the hardcore drugs, i'll leave!"... kidding everyone, just kidding

glad to hear phil will be home for christmas - tell him not to pull any crackers though, that could be really bad for him!

Lizzie89
22nd December 2005, 06:51 PM
YAY! Well done Phil! So glad hes gonna get home for xmas (hopefully).

Sending good luck wishes to him, i hope as soon as he gets home we'll see even more progress.
xx
Liz

RocketQueen
24th December 2005, 01:05 AM
So is he home yet? x

Phil
24th December 2005, 02:39 PM
Hi all, I am home having just got up. Hoy in by ambulance about 7pm last night. Its been a hell of a ride which i will go into when i can manage it.

I have got a 58 degree correction for my 75 degree kyphosis, not sure of my lumbar scoli correction. I am now just over 3 inch's taller and 2 stone lighter. Looking somewhat different.

Thanks to all of you support you wonderul bunch, Abbi looks like she has done a stellar job of updating. Have a wonderful Christmas all.

BeckyH
24th December 2005, 02:59 PM
that's great news, phil! take care, yeah? i know it's hard to hear, but the more you kick back in the early stages, the quicker your recovery can potentially go

Lizzie89
24th December 2005, 03:46 PM
Great to here from you Phil, glad your well (kinda) keep up the good work and i hope your recovery will be complete and quick :squeeze:
x

Abbi
24th December 2005, 05:01 PM
AWESOME news phil - 58* correction (I only got 50* pfft lol :P)

Take it easy..... :squeeze:

Talk soon, and have a good christmas! :niceone:

oh, can I just say - 2stone lighter - WOW!!! thats lots!!!! I lost about 1stone I believe!

andrea
26th December 2005, 02:40 PM
Great news to hear you're home Phil - I've been away so missed your homecoming. Hope you managed to have a good Christmas and got spoilt rotten. You take it easy. It'll be a while before you're back to anything near 100% I would imagine, but terrific correction. You must be thrilled. :D

titch
26th December 2005, 08:20 PM
So glad to have you back, and with such a fantastic correction! When 2c was very briefly online while we were down in Cornwall, one of the few threads he checked was this one :D

Little Ali
26th December 2005, 11:06 PM
That is fantastic news! :jump: Welcome back Phil! Hope you are enjoying your christmas at home! :squeeze:

Blair
27th December 2005, 07:32 PM
OOPS! Got busy with the holidays and work so running a bit late. but happy to see you're home Phil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zerodegrees
28th December 2005, 11:18 AM
welcome back Phil - top correction! Another success! Take it easy!

Thaleias spirit
28th December 2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Phil@Dec 24 2005, 02:39 PM
I have got a 58 degree correction for my 75 degree kyphosis, not sure of my lumbar scoli correction. I am now just over 3 inch's taller and 2 stone lighter. Looking somewhat different.

Just so I'm clear - that means they reduced the curve by 58 degrees,
so it's about 17 degrees now?

Either way it sounds pretty terrific and I can only guess that you are thrilled with the results. 3 inches taller? wow .. Everyone is getting so much taller than me. (I need more high boots).

Joy
7th January 2006, 03:28 AM
It sounds like you got really good correction, Phil. Congratulations!! You'll be back to normal before you know it!