PDA

View Full Version : Kyphosis and left handedness

mark
29th November 2005, 08:39 PM
ARTICLES

Left handedness and risk of thoracic hyperkyphosis in prepubertal schoolchildren
M Nissinen, M Heliovaara, J Seitsamo and M Poussa
Laakso Hospital, Helsinki, Finland.

BACKGROUND: Hand dominance and spinal posture were studied for their prediction of the development of thoracic hyperkyphosis during the pubertal growth spurt. METHODS: The cohort consisted of all the fourth- grade school children of the Western School District of Helsinki, Finland, in the spring of 1986. They were examined annually from the mean age of 10.8 to 13.8 years. Handedness was determined at the baseline examination by observing the hand with which the child was writing. Anthropometric measurements, posture and growth were followed- up annually. A lateral standing radiograph was undertaken in those children who had pronounced thoracic kyphosis in spinal pantography. Kyphotic angles > or = 45 degrees were considered hyperkyphotic. RESULTS: In both girls and boys, left handedness was found to be a powerful determinant of hyperkyphosis. In left handed children the odds ratio (OR), adjusted for baseline spinal measurements, was 4.11 (95% confidence interval [CI]: 1.39-12.13). Hump size measured by the forward bending test also predicted significantly the development of thoracic hyperkyphosis (OR = 1.48; 95% CI: 1.23-1.76, per one degree). CONCLUSIONS: Left handedness may be a risk factor for thoracic hyperkyphosis during the pubertal growth spurt.

this article could explain a lot about me i am predominently left handed. The only reason i don't write with my left hand was i used to get a wack from my teachers in junior school on the nuckles

Mark

jfkimberly
30th November 2005, 12:22 AM
Interesting article, Mark. I wonder what made them think to do the study.

I also wonder if the fact that the world is set up for right-handed people forces lefties to adjust their posture to do certain things, and maybe that's what's causing it. Like how student desks are made for right-handed people.

mark
12th December 2005, 11:29 PM
I don't think we have the same kind of desks over here in England at least we didn't 20 years ago when i was at school

BeckyH
13th December 2005, 09:42 AM
the desks kim referred to are more common in lecture theatres at universities, i've never sat at one in school, we just had standard tables and never had individual desks (apart from when taking public exams, when i was 16, last year and this year)

Jonny
13th December 2005, 07:31 PM
Everything is designed for right-handers by default (they take it for granted) except the Singer sewing machine - he was left-handed and he designed it for other left-handers, and the design hasn't changed in that respect :D

I'm well-practiced at pushing the blades of (right-handed) scissors together in just the right way so they cut when I use them too, all that sort of thing, and the one thing I DO stop at is using my mouse left-handed... my violin teacher does, though, and it's a right pain (ahahaha) to either leave it where it is and use it like him or move it across and remember to left-click on the right button.

Simon
18th January 2008, 12:45 AM
Hi mark
i am just flicking though a few post and come accross your first post

wow wow am left handed left footed everything i do its lefthanded

how strange would be good to do a poll on people who are left handed or righthanded and if they hace kyphosis or scoliosis and boy or girl
be very intresting

Amazed Jean
18th January 2008, 03:11 AM
I am the one with Kyphoscoliosis in the family. (I find it interesting that both my daughter and husband have mixed dominance. He writes left handed, pitches right, plays golf right handed but his left foot is dominate. Daughter is right handed but writes over the top like a lefty and she is definitely left footed. That's the magic leg that got her 4 years of college playing left wing on the soccer team.)

teebee
23rd July 2008, 10:03 PM
Interesting....my son is right handed when writing, but plays sports left handed. Perhaps he is ambidextrous?

mark
23rd July 2008, 10:27 PM
Interesting....my son is right handed when writing, but plays sports left handed. Perhaps he is ambidextrous?

exactly the same as me

except i went to school in the dark ages when used think lefties were the devil, i used to smacked on the back of the wwrist by the teacher when ever i picked my pencil up with my left hand

i soon learnt to pick it up with my right

teebee
27th July 2008, 02:39 AM
Mark, how old are you? Of course our education was probably a bit different as I was educated in US schools. I would guess that we are similar in age. By the time I was in school, we could even buy spiral bound lined paper for lefties! Diversity was embraced, but I had teachers who share your stories of teachers tying their left hand behind their backs so force right handedness. Shameful!

Amazed Jean
27th July 2008, 07:14 AM
TeeBee, Are you in the States? There are a few of us here. As for being ambidexterous - in my husband and sometimes daughter's cases they are referred to as ambi -clumbsy people. They both make things look kind of off kilter.

mark
27th July 2008, 12:22 PM
Mark, how old are you? Of course our education was probably a bit different as I was educated in US schools. I would guess that we are similar in age. By the time I was in school, we could even buy spiral bound lined paper for lefties! Diversity was embraced, but I had teachers who share your stories of teachers tying their left hand behind their backs so force right handedness. Shameful!

1'm 37

alyssa
27th July 2008, 12:50 PM
I'm right handed... and proud xx

caro
30th July 2008, 03:08 PM
intesrestingly Mark - there is just 1 patient in my group at SOS with hyperkyphosis and he is..................................left handed!!