View Full Version : Good job i rang!

24th November 2005, 04:56 PM
Feeling much much better so i found out the letter and gave them a ring. First i had to ring back cause Mr Marks secretary was out to lunch,fair enough no prob. Rang back and explained things and had to hang on several times while much frantic paper rustling and key board tapping was heard in the background. She came back on the line asked a couple more questions and then disappeared off again, more rustling and then i heard her talking to someone about it. When she came back she gave me a provisional date which she has to check with Mr Marks when he gets back from London. She then asked if Sami would lie still for a period of time. I said errm No! she is 2 and we had trouble getting her xrays done. Oh right then she will need a general then she said. Fine with me i said, she then told me she had to ask as she was confused, cause it had her down as having a local and she had never heard of that. First I'd heard of it too.
So we are down for hopefully the 13th December and she said that she may be able to get us in earlier but doesn't know yet.
I have the strongest feeling that we had gotten lost in their system, who knows when we might have been found.
Just got to arrange transport now as 7.30am is too early to ask the friend who took us last time.
G xx

24th November 2005, 05:04 PM
Thank goodness you rang! and how nice to see a pleasant and helpful secretary :-D :-D
getting lost in the system happens! Fingers crossed that something turns up before December 13 th and you get sorted.Glad to hear you're feeling better.

24th November 2005, 05:09 PM

What is the appointment for, is it for casting ?

24th November 2005, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Gadget@Nov 24 2005, 03:56 PM
I have the strongest feeling that we had gotten lost in their system, who knows when we might have been found.

I liked mr Marks, when we met him (once) and secretaries have always been helpful. But what about "the system", allowing you to get lost.!!!!

Make sure you check with our forumexperts on what to expect with regards to investigations and treatment, if only to "keep an eye on the system"

glad things are moving now

24th November 2005, 05:35 PM
It's the appointment for casting, finally!
I'll take your advice then Gerbo. Apart from her having a general, what else is supposed to happen and what will i need?
Ade rang his parents and his Dad is going to take us, just got to arrange to drop off eldest that day now but shouldn't be a problem.
Will she be having more xrays that day?
G xx

24th November 2005, 06:12 PM
That is brilliant news, :squeeze: I am so glad that you have an appt for casting! Seems weird she was down for a local for casting....I mean what would that do for her...she wouldn't be still at all lol - silly people! :hammer:
But I am glad that after many months of waiting you have an appointment!

I am not really sure what happens, I am guessing they will take some x-rays (maybe) before casting....and then I think they do ones in the cast afterwards!

Andrea will know - she has been through this many times with Erin!
All the best for the 13th (not too long now....which is great)

24th November 2005, 08:27 PM

Great news about finally getting your little one casted !

We also did serial casting and of course things may be different with your hospital. Usually what would happen is that Deirdre would arrive at the hospital bright and early at 6:00 a.m. The nurse would weigh and measure her and take her vitals. Food or drink would be not be allowed after 12:00 a.m. the night before. We'd be brought down to the pre surgery waiting room for 8:00 a.m. which ALWAYS had great toys for the kids to play with. We would speak to the anesthesiologists and of course our doctor who applied the cast. I would always remind him to get her a little straighter :-D I would walk her into the surgery room and sometimes she would ride into the O.R. in a little kiddie car :-) There we would meet the nurses and two anesthesiologists. One time the resident anesthesiologist held a little sleep fairy in front of Deidre's face as she was being put to sleep and sang her "twinkle twinkle little star" When she was finally asleep, I would leave the OR usually in tears. Then I would wait about 45 minutes to 1 hour while the cast was being applied and then her doctor would come into the parent waiting room and let me know how things went. An x-ray following the cast application would always be taken to know what kind of correction was achieved. I don't think they took one before because they wanted to limit the amount of radiation she was exposed to.

24th November 2005, 08:32 PM
Good news on the casting Gadget and great to hear your feeling a lot better

24th November 2005, 09:03 PM
That's good news you have a date Gadget - let's hope things go smoothly from here.

When Erin had her first cast applied and the MRI, we were admitted the night before. She was allowed food up until 12am and then clear fluids up until 6am. It's unlikely that she will need further xrays as the other ones are fairly recent aren't they? We went up to the MRI suite first, and she had her GA there. They used the mask back then, which she hated, but Sami is probably too small for them to use a line just yet. It's only the last couple of times that we've been able to do away with the mask, and things are much quieter now. Once they'd done the MRI, they wheeled her down the corridor to the plaster theatre and applied her cast. That took about an hour. Once in recovery, you're allowed back in to see her and then go back to the ward.

That's about it I think. You do get used to the routine of it very quickly, and remembering the first time is now quite difficult. If you have any more questions though, fire away.

Best of luck for the 13th.


25th November 2005, 01:25 AM
Oh, that's less than 3 weeks away! Not too bad. I wonder if they just worked you in when you called, or if you'd been scheduled and they failed to notify you.

Either way, it's still a good thing you called. Good one.