PDA

View Full Version : Thorascopic Anterior Release

zerodegrees
22nd November 2005, 03:06 PM
Here is an article about thorascopic anterior release which is the method that was used as part of my surgery. It bypassed the need for a large anterior incision and apparently is much less painful. It is a fairly new technique according to Jonny I am only the second on SSO to have had it. I still required a large incision to do the posterior fusion though.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...401/ai_n9379716 (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3767/is_200401/ai_n9379716)

Phil
22nd November 2005, 04:27 PM
Yeah, theres been a fair bit of discussion about it John. Many old school surgeons will not use it at present. Seem to want cut us all open. It seems like a good idea to me but am curious why not all surgeons are adopting the procedure.

zerodegrees
22nd November 2005, 04:51 PM
I hadn't even heard of it until my pre-op when my surgeon announced that he would be doing it that way. Apparently my original surgeon prefered the full incision method! There are lots who prefer to do it your way (2 stage with a gap) as apparently the recovery process is slightly easier! We can compare notes after your surgery as you are practically having an idential op but with a different methods. Do you know what your kyphosis measurements are? How you feeling about it?

Phil
22nd November 2005, 05:02 PM
I'm pretty chilled about it John. I have a 35 degree lumber scoliosis, 75 degree thoratic kyphosis, thats the basic. I have compensatory stuff too like my Lordosis.

mark
22nd November 2005, 06:25 PM
Interesting paper thanks John. You and phil should have some good war stories for each other should you both go to Toni's party

Phil
22nd November 2005, 07:06 PM
mark, no chance will i be able to go. Will only be 3 weeks post op so am trying hard to forget about going. Not happy!

mark
22nd November 2005, 08:24 PM
have you got a web cam, you could make a live video link up like they do at all the award ceremonies :-D