PDA

View Full Version : Blueice's Surgery

BlueIce
25th June 2004, 04:13 PM
My mom told me I couldn't drink alcohol on saturday evening, because it would still be in my blood on monday and she reckons they won't do surgery. Nobody at the hospital mentioned this, they only said not to eat/drink after midnight before surgery, so now i'm a bit confused. It's not really a big deal if i can't drink, I'm not addicted, but i just wanted to check this out, it would be quite stupid if i DO drink and they said : "sorry, no surgery today", i think i'd go mad

Kaja
25th June 2004, 04:38 PM
I think your mum is right. The alcohol can't be good to have in your blood during surgery and recovery :P But you should ask your doctor. You surgery is on Monday?? Wow, so soon.

sins
25th June 2004, 04:48 PM
Unless you go on a major binge and dehydrate yourself I wouldn't worry too much about it.It makes sense though to go into a scoliosis op in the best condition you can possibly be in, so perhaps have a drink or two on Friday night and let the liver recover for Monday.If you really have a doubt about it stick with the mineral water.There's no point in drinking and then spending the next two days worrying over it.It just adds extra stress.

BlueIce
25th June 2004, 05:40 PM
since i have gone out yesterday and will too on today, i'll think i'll spare myself tomorrow :-)
thanks for the advice!

jfkimberly
25th June 2004, 07:03 PM
I was told no alcohol, aspirin, or vitamin E for 2 weeks before my surgery, because they act as anti-coagulants (blood thinners) and may increase your risk of excessive bleeding. I'd stop consumption of all of those as long before surgery as possible.

BlueIce
25th June 2004, 09:06 PM
hmm.. they could have mentioned this when i was there the last time. Since i didn't know i have been taking painkillers and stuff like that whenever i needed it. Oh well, i'll just hold back these two days and we'll see how things go on monday.

andrea
25th June 2004, 09:56 PM
Good luck for Monday - hope it all goes well.

BarmyArmy
25th June 2004, 10:09 PM
Good luck :D you'll be in our thoughts.

Kaja
25th June 2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by jfkimberly@Jun 25 2004, 06:03 PM
they act as anti-coagulants (blood thinners) and may increase your risk of excessive bleeding.
I got bloodthinner-shots in my stomach every other day, starting the night before my surgery :roll:

Marti
25th June 2004, 11:48 PM
Good luck for your surgery!

Blair
26th June 2004, 12:06 AM
Best of luck with your surgery!
I was told not to take ibuprofen for a couple of weeks before my surgery.... But I will admit... I sneaked a few times.... Tylenol just didn't cut it for me.
But I didn't have any trouble from it.

jfkimberly
26th June 2004, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by BlueIce@Jun 25 2004, 02:06 PM
hmm.. they could have mentioned this when i was there the last time. Since i didn't know i have been taking painkillers and stuff like that whenever i needed it. Oh well, i'll just hold back these two days and we'll see how things go on monday.
I think you can probably continue to take your painkillers if you need them, as long as they're not aspirin. It's specifically aspirin that has the property of being an anticoagulant. And maybe it doesn't matter with scoliosis surgery, anyway. It was definitely a concern for my brain surgery, though. And I think my mother was told not to take aspirin or drink alcohol for a while prior to her gallbladder removal. You might want to ask about it.

Marti
26th June 2004, 03:04 PM
I was just told not to take any thing containing aspirin (this includes basically anything except for tylenol) the day before my surgery. I'm not sure if it really mattered because my surgeon didn't tell me, my pediatrician did. But it's probably a good idea not to take any aspirin, ibuprofen, excedrin, etc. today or tomorrow. Good luck!

BlueIce
26th June 2004, 06:55 PM
well i didn't feel "good" yesterday so i kept it sober, as am i going to do today. I don't really feel like going out, but my boyfriend really wants to go and staying home isn't gonna do me much good because i'll think about tomorrow anyways.

Btw, I'll put my email-adress in my profile, so if anybody wants to use it, it's there. I'll have someone check it for me. Sending stuff to my hospital isn't the best way i guess, because it might take a while to get in Belgium. If anybody wants my home adress, just let me know. This isn't obligatory :-) but some of you asked for it in an other topic and i might forget about this tomorrow.

Jonny
27th June 2004, 04:02 AM
Sorry, only just seen this thread! um, my pre-admission letter had a form to give to the GP on which to write all the medication I am on and have taken in the past, and the booklet said to bring all medicines into the hospital, not to drink a couple of days before and stop taking oral contraceptives 6 weeks in advance, and failure to adhere may result in surgery cancellation.

I'm not on the Pill so I don't need to worry.

Carly
27th June 2004, 04:44 AM
I would hope that you are not on the pill jonny!! If you were I would be in pure shock! LOL :-D :-)

Marti
27th June 2004, 05:22 AM
I wasn't told to stop taking the pill before my surgery... don't worry! I'm on it for other reasons than contraceptives... no need to worry about me

BlueIce
27th June 2004, 11:54 AM
the anesthesist (or whatever you call the person that makes you sleep) knows i'm taking the pill and she didn't say i shouldn't so i guess that's all right.

titch
27th June 2004, 12:05 PM
It partly depends what pill you are on (different versions of the hormones carry different amounts of risk) and the treatment protocol followed at the hospital. If they plan to get you up and active quickly it becomes less important, because as soon as you are reasonably active (even just to the stage of wandering to and from the toilet several times a day) your clotting risk drops a lot, and they put you on anticoagulants as a matter of standard precaution. It's really just a case, like the rest of it, of following their instructions and leaving the rest up to them.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow BlueIce :hug:

Lieve
27th June 2004, 12:20 PM
Good luck with your surgery. I'll be thinking of you too tomorrow.

Jonny
27th June 2004, 01:08 PM
Me too. :hug:

BlueIce
27th June 2004, 01:59 PM
Thanks guys! It's good to know I"m not alone in this.
Jonny, before i forget to say it, i'll be thinking of you on the 5th. Good luck!

Kaja
27th June 2004, 02:42 PM
Good luck BlueIce!! xxx

Jonny
27th June 2004, 03:31 PM
Hey, thanks, and needless to say I'll be thinking of you tomorrow! Actually it's conspired I'm going in on the fifth for surgery the 6th, but hey. :-)

BlueIce
27th June 2004, 04:17 PM
going in sucks in my opinion. I don't know in what state they'll leave me there but tomorrow the hardest part will be over i guess. Whatever day you have surgery, i'll think of you :-)

BlueIce
27th June 2004, 04:54 PM
well, i'm almost off. I'll be back within two weeks or something, but you'll probably get a message from me sooner. Bye!

sins
27th June 2004, 05:21 PM
Best of luck and hopefully you will be back soon telling us all about it.
Sins

Jonny
27th June 2004, 05:57 PM
GOOD LUCK BlueIce!!! :-)

Pikey
27th June 2004, 07:06 PM
yep , good luck with the surgery .I cant remember getting that letter before my Op , which is a good thing really because I did have a drink before i went in . Then again they cancelled my Op for 3 days , so i guess it didnt matter in the end . I hope it all goes well and quickley and you are back with us safe and sound with a wonderful new back . Take care Pikey xx

Marti
27th June 2004, 10:16 PM
Good luck BlueIce!!!!

tonibunny
28th June 2004, 12:27 AM
Good Luck BlueIce!!!!!!!!!!!!

jfkimberly
28th June 2004, 05:58 AM
I'm a bit late, but good luck, BlueIce! You'll be back with us, telling us how smoothly everything went, in no time!

Liv
28th June 2004, 12:03 PM
You're probably still on the surgery table, but I didn't forget you Leen (BlueIce)! I've been thinking of you when I was filling in (or staring at) the questions of my last exam this morning... Ugh, it was hard!!

*fingers crossed*

sins
28th June 2004, 01:56 PM
One o'clock in afternoon..........still thinking of you.

BlueIce
28th June 2004, 09:38 PM
Hi,

They told me everything went well during the surgical operation.
About 6.16 pm she was in the wake up room. I haven't spoken to her because she was still sleeping.
This night she stays in the wake up room until tomorrow morning.
In the morning she will go back to her normal room.

You will hear more from me toworrow

Blueice's boyfriend

Liv
28th June 2004, 09:43 PM
Thank you so much for the update! Please say hello to her from all sso'ers!!!

Lieve
28th June 2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Liv@Jun 28 2004, 07:43 PM
Please say hello to her from all sso'ers!!!
yeah please do, great idea Liv ;-)

Thanks again, we are all glad to hear from her so soon and that everything went well during the operation :niceone:

BarmyArmy
28th June 2004, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the update :D , we were all wondering how it went. :niceone:

Carly
28th June 2004, 11:56 PM
Thank you! Give her our love!

Marti
29th June 2004, 12:17 AM
Thanks for keeping us updated! That's wonderful that everything went well. Tell her hi from us!

Kaja
29th June 2004, 11:28 AM
It's so nice of you to do this for her, and us. Say hello from us :D We wish her a speedy recovery.

BlueIce
6th July 2004, 06:30 PM
Hi guys, I'm back :-D
Everything went quite good, except for me being naucious the first three days or something. It hurted like hell too, but i'm feeling a lot better right now. I'm not staying too long, maybe i'll have a peek this evening, right now i'm going to rest a bit more. Thanks for the support!

Little~shedevil~dee
6th July 2004, 06:34 PM
welcome back hun :hammer: we have missed you glad every thing went well :-)

Kayla
6th July 2004, 07:32 PM
Glad everything went well! And take your time on coming back!

DublinPauline
6th July 2004, 08:32 PM
Great to see you back - now take it easy!

Lieve
6th July 2004, 10:23 PM
It's great to see you back :wave:
and like everbody else already said take your time for full recovery

Pikey
6th July 2004, 11:21 PM
yeah welcome back , thats the hard bit over and done with .Now the annoying bit of keeping your feet up , try your best .Take care ,Pikey.

BarmyArmy
7th July 2004, 12:01 AM
Enjoy being spoiled BlueIce :D Take things easy now.

lindzi_11
8th July 2004, 01:48 AM
Hey. . like how did the surgeory go? How was it? lol could you plz let me know..

Kayla
8th July 2004, 07:35 AM
Yes the best thing about surgery is how spoiled you get aftewrwards :-)

BlueIce
8th July 2004, 08:40 PM
sometimes it annoys me how my mum is taking care of me. If i say i don't want a drink she keeps summing up other stuff that i could possibly need, i know she's only trying to help but it can get pretty irritating :-)
and i'm bored like hell.. i feel so useless, lying in front of the tv all day, there's only so much cartoons i can take before going nuts

Liv
8th July 2004, 08:57 PM
I used to watch the Tour de France when I just had my surgery... But back then we had Tom Steels, now it's so boring! ;-)

BlueIce
9th July 2004, 10:44 AM
now it's Tom Boonen, he's from Balen which isn't very far from my place :-) But i don't really like the tour, but when you're bored, about everything's good enough to watch :-)

BlueIce
9th July 2004, 10:47 AM
In the following link is a picture of my scar i had taken on wednesday, exactly 9 days after surgery. The nurses said it looked good, but i don't know anything about it so give me your honest opinion :-)

Here's the link (http://users.pandora.be/blueice/pics/litteken-07-07-04.jpg)

lucinda
9th July 2004, 12:02 PM
Goodness, that is a very big picture!

Your scar looks okay to me .. it looks very similar to how mine was. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures here to share with you. (They're all at my parent's house). But mine was about that colour, and now a few years later has faded to the lightest shade of pink. It's actually quite a pretty hue!

Compared to other scars I've seen (including mine), yours looks a lot thinner .. so that can only be a good thing! Also, did you have staples? I was just curious because it doesen't look like you did .. however I am no expert.

Your bruising looks a bit ouch-ish. Hope you're feeling okay!

floralgypsy
9th July 2004, 12:34 PM
I think that scar is brilliant and will fade to just a pencil line after a while! I never had one on my spine having just had anterior, but I think you should be very proud of that =)

Blair
9th July 2004, 02:29 PM
That's going to be a good looking scar! I think it's going to be very tidy.
My incision looked just a little bit wider than yours does at that point, and aside from the top where it abscessed and is a bit wide and deep, most people say they can't even see it unless they look for it.

BlueIce
9th July 2004, 03:14 PM
@ lucinda: no staples. I asked how they did it and they named something i allready forgot, but i didn't have to get any stiches out or something. I just have to wait untill the steristrips fall of by themselves.

Blair
9th July 2004, 03:51 PM
I had internal, dissolvable stiches.... Except my body didn't like a few of them, which is how I ended up with the abscess thing.

lucinda
9th July 2004, 04:44 PM
Thanks for that BlueIce, I can be a bit curious sometimes! Are you recovering okay?

Blair, oh yes, I know the ones .. they're the type I had for my chiari surgery. I was lucky not to get the abscess though! Hope that isn't giving you any problems currently.

BlueIce
9th July 2004, 05:08 PM
I think i do. I'm in pain off course, but not so much that i can't set my mind to other things. What bothers me most is not being able to do fun stuff, i always have to lay down, sitting up doesn't hurt much, but when i eat i get warm and want to lie down as quick as possible. I try to take as few painkillers as i can, i'm a bit afraid of getting used to them.

Btw, the bruise on my back doesn't hurt nearly as much as the ones on my left arm (i should take a picture), it's an ugly shade of brown with yellow streaks all over the place. Damn my stupid veins that are too hard for nurses (and every other person) to put a needle in. It once took them 5 times to get one right...

lucinda
9th July 2004, 05:27 PM
Eeeeek your veins sound like mine! I can't remember which surgery it was, but in one I woke up with a completely swollen arm because the nurses had so much trouble hooking up my iv and what-not. I was that out of it (I blame the morphine and anaesthetic!) I thought that I had broken my arm and that's why I was in hospital .. it was pretty funny for my mother who was there at the time!

I can definitely empathise with your not being able to do fun stuff .. it was the summer after we had graduated school when I had my spine surgery and all my friends were away at the beach, I ended up doing these silly little tapestries and cross stitch things to pass the time. Tip: don't do them! I swear it makes the time go even slower!

Kudos to you for trying to take as few painkillers as possible, by the way .. very admirable. =)

jfkimberly
9th July 2004, 06:03 PM
BlueIce, are there any books that you've put off reading? Do you have your Amazon WishList up to date? Hmm...?

When I got home from my AN surgery 2 years ago, my sister gave me a welcome home/get well gift basket that included three books that she knew I'd been planning to read at some point but had not gotten around to yet. I didn't feel like reading in the first week after my brain surgery, but when my balance/vision started to stabilize, I devoured those books and more during my six weeks of recovery.

I also spent a lot of time on the computer. I bought a laptop two weeks before my surgery so I could have access to email and stuff in the hospital, and when I got home it allowed me to get online or play games from my bed. For me, television viewing was not the most pleasant thing because my vision/balance system was disturbed by the surgery, and post-operative swelling in the inner auditory chamber compressed my already-damaged 8th cranial nerve (the one that transmits the signals from the ear to the part of your brain that interprets it as sound) making everything sound like it was inside a tin can. I became dependent on closed captioning for the hearing impaired for a while, so even when I wasn't reading a book, I was reading!

Now I just have to brag... also in the basket were a teddy bear with a bandage around its head (my sister applied the banadage); a candy dish full of only red, white, and green gummi bears because she knew I don't like the orange and yellow ones; and a tube of my favorite lotion. It was the most thoughtful gift anybody has ever given me. This is the bear she gave me, complete with a gummi bear on its paw (only for the picture):
http://www.franzen2004.com/files/sturgerybear.jpg

lucinda
9th July 2004, 06:13 PM
Aw .. that is just adorable! I love the bandage on the head .. *softly smiles*

I wish I had something like that after my brain surgery .. I was given one of those teddy bears that people can sign their names on and write messages, know the one? Anyway, my best friend, he drew a big kissing lips thing on the head of the bear where my brain surgery would be .. that was pretty cute. See, now I've gone all mushy .. I guess I did get something like yours after all!

jfkimberly
9th July 2004, 06:15 PM
The incision looks nice and clean, and I agree with everybody who responded before me that it will heal brilliantly. I am sure you'll be pleased with the result.

Originally posted by lucinda
when I had my spine surgery and all my friends were away at the beach, I ended up doing these silly little tapestries and cross stitch things to pass the time. Tip: don't do them! I swear it makes the time go even slower!
*giggle* How funny! My only problem with them is that they make my fingertip sore (I guess I hold the needle too tight).

jfkimberly
9th July 2004, 06:21 PM
I didn't know you had Chiari... I just saw that in another thread. (I don't always pay close attention. Sorry.) You've only had one brain surgery? Or are you referring to your most recent?

lucinda
9th July 2004, 06:29 PM
That's quite okay, I don't think I've mentioned it much on this forum .. no need to apologise. =)

I've just had the one surgery, an extension of a posterior fossa decompression which is basically where they just remove a lot of bone and muscle around the area in which the cerebellular tonsils hang into the beginning of your spinal cord cavity (as well as the area above, if that makes any sense) .. to make more room for the tonsils. That was a few years ago now, and was actually ten months before my spine ops. We're just monitoring it now, none of us (my doctors and I) really want to have a shunt put in there .. so I regulate the sacs of fluid with medication and things, rather than another operation.

Long story short: I hope the surgery I was referring to will remain my most recent!

lindzi_11
9th July 2004, 06:48 PM
The scar looks good. . . . it'll be soooo nice once it heals cuz then you can wear bikini's and tank tops with a beautiful straight back! :D

jfkimberly
9th July 2004, 06:51 PM
I hope it remains your most recent, too! What medication do you use to regulate the CSF? Does the loss of muscle affect your head movement?

Kayla
9th July 2004, 07:34 PM
Its looks really good! Its funny isnt it when they make the incision they make it straight but after the surgery it ends up being crooked!

lucinda
9th July 2004, 07:55 PM
I was on these weird anti-inflammatories for a little bit, that were different somehow from the ones for my back .. but I'm not on them anymore, I'm just on the pain meds, so that's rather nice! And yes, the muscle loss does restrict movement sometimes, but definitely not as much as it used to .. it just took a bit of time to figure out what moves and positions It felt comfy with. =)

BlueIce
10th July 2004, 04:16 PM
i think it looks crooked allready :-) but i'm not planning to hide my scar next year. Now i have to because i'm not getting this burned (not that the weather over here is that great, but for me it's better this way)

Joy
10th July 2004, 05:32 PM
Looks nice. Hope you feel better soon. Don't worry about using painkillers, you won't get addicted to them that easily. I worried too and tried not to take them so I should't talk, but they do work sometimes!

I had dissovable stiches too and one day my back turned red and swelled and it hurt really badly so my mom took me to the emercengy room - we thought it was infected. But it turn out that the knot is the stich just got couaght on something. Go figure, hey? I was glad it wasn't infected, though.

Marti
11th July 2004, 05:04 AM
It looks nice! I also had dissolvable stitches. They were fine, except they gave me quite a fright when a few fell out.

Lieve
12th July 2004, 01:44 PM
Hey BlueIce! Your scar looks good to me as far as I have experiences with scars ... NOT ... sorry :oops:
How are you recovering girlie? Not too much in pain hopefully? Take the painkillers if you need them. I know I'm not the right person to advise you about taking drugs because I won't take them either if I can cope with it but I'm sure it won't harm you.

Kaja
12th July 2004, 01:53 PM
It looks great!! :D I had STAPLES :-o Looked awful!

Blair
12th July 2004, 02:12 PM
Ick! Staples are nasty. I had them for my abdominal surgery. I still have the teensy little scars on both sides of my scar from them.

Liv
12th July 2004, 02:51 PM
That's going to be a very beautiful scar!! :niceone:

Kaja
12th July 2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Blair@Jul 12 2004, 01:12 PM
I still have the teensy little scars on both sides of my scar from them.
Me too. White dots :hammer:

Little~shedevil~dee
12th July 2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Blair@Jul 12 2004, 12:12 PM
Ick! Staples are nasty. I had them for my abdominal surgery. I still have the teensy little scars on both sides of my scar from them.
i hate staples i had them when i had my breast redcution i kept mine and got them in a bottle some where lol