PDA

View Full Version : Pre op done!

Phil
7th November 2005, 05:21 PM
Got to Hinchingbrooke this morning, met my spinal nurse who was very nice. She talked to me about the procedure and explained the first thing that I did not like. I am having 2 stage surgery. First surgery is the 6th of December and the second stage is on the 20th of December. They them aim to keep me in for about 2 weeks after that! Thats a month in hospital! Not happy with that!

I then had spirometry, bloods and x rays. Then off I went to see my surgeon!
He looked at my x rays, originally at 16 I had a 42 degree thoratic kyphosis. 10 months ago I have a 68 degree thoratic kyphosis with slight rotation of the thoratic region creating my scoliosis and rib hump I guess.

I know have a 75 degree kyphosis, the thoratic area has rotated more and i now have a 35 degree lumbar curve with hypo-kyphosis (sp?) whatever that is.

My back has gotten worse, my mum started to get teary which made me angry because my coping strategy is strength. I asked him what he expects to fuse, the minimum he will fuse will be T4 to L4. Maybe more.

He has said 6 months from driving and 1 year from the prison service.

The staff were great but today has not been a great day!

Abbi
7th November 2005, 05:29 PM
Phil, I am sorry pre -op didn't go as you would have liked! I am not sure I understand why they are leaving two weeks in between the first and second stages....I also don't see why they don't do two stages together! I know this will mean you'll have to spend Christmas in hospital.....but you'll be so glad to have it over with, and to be starting the new year with a brand new spine!
I really don't know if there is much I can say here but give you a huge hug :squeeze:

I'm here if u wana moan, or need virtual hugs!

Abbi

sins
7th November 2005, 05:30 PM
yeah....that's one of those type of appointments that leave you a bit flattened.The fact that your spine is deteriorating means it's high time you had your surgery.That's quite a shift in 10 months and would explain why you were having pain.You do not want to consider how this would be in 10 years time.
Don't be too worried about the projected month in hospital.I think you may esacpe with three weeks.You're young. strong and fit and anyway it will pass quickly.
The worst part is having to put your career on hold! I presume you will be paid but you will be bored when you're so used to being so active.
It's never an easy day when we have to sit down and contemplate the full severity of progressing spinal curvature.
All I can add is that we'll be here for you Phil.
Sins

Phil
7th November 2005, 05:31 PM
The 2 week gap is because the surgeon is not there the following tuesday. He only does this surgery on Tuesdays.
Thanks Abbi! I'll be fine about it, just hit me today really.

Thanks Sins, work will be fine about it. Just missing out on my career but my health comes first. What is Hypokyphosis anyway?

Abbi
7th November 2005, 05:35 PM
this is what it is (http://www.scoliosis-support.org/modules/dictionary/detail.php?id=12) found it in the SSO Glossary! :-)
I can't find anything else on it (I was trying to educate myself, with no sucess)

Phil
7th November 2005, 05:39 PM
Thanks Abbi! Should have looked there, hey!

I also forgot, I had my photo's done today. They asked me if they could use my case for medical training. I have no problems so they took about 20 photos of me back!

Lizzie89
7th November 2005, 06:29 PM
Im sorry it didnt go to great Phil, i have so much respect for you geting throught this with such strength.
I know its hard but chin up :-) and feel free to rant with us... thats what were here for :-)

titch
7th November 2005, 06:31 PM
I think what it will be referring to - at a best guess - is that you were already told your lordosis is becoming more pronounced to compensate for the kyphosis higher up, so the hypokyphosis probably means that below the Scheuermann's, there's an area where you should still have kyphosis before it flattens out and turns into lordosis, but it's too flat there because of the changes happening as your body tries to stay in balance. Um - different attempt - say you should have kyphosis from about C7 to T10, then you're fairly flat from T10-L1, then you've got lordosis from there to S1. If you've got excessive kyphosis and lordosis then perhaps you've got kyphosis only down to T8 and are flat from there to L2 because of the effect of leaning backward with excessive lordosis to compensate for the over-large kyphosis above, which means you might have hypokyphosis over the T6-12 region because it's too flat (not sure those numbers are actually right - I'd need to try to dig up a proper reference on what they really are, but perhaps they explain better what I'm trying to say?)

That sounds ridiculously confusing even to me :-? Hopefully it makes some kind of sense if you read it more than once :lol:

I'm not surprised it's hit you like that, it always does hit hard to finally have it all becoming real, but to have the added worry of how long it's going to take just isn't going to help anything of course. Still, it'll be a new you for the new year :hug:

tonibunny
7th November 2005, 06:40 PM
Hi Phil, I'm really sorry that this isn't great news for you - especially that you'll be in hospital over Christmas. But, as Abbi says, you can look forward to starting the new year with your new back! I hope that helps cheer you a little. We'll do all we can to make sure you're not too miserable while you're in there, too :D

*hugs*

Toni xxx

DublinPauline
7th November 2005, 07:01 PM
Phil, this appointment must have been hard going for you. Things become more more real and intimidating when you put times and dates to them. It will all be worth it in the end and in the meantime I hope your family and friends will provide TLC and distractions in bucketloads after your surgery. Your fitness regime will stand to you and as Sinead said, you're likely to have a speedy recovery.

Thaleias spirit
7th November 2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by sins@Nov 7 2005, 04:30 PM
That's one of those type of appointments that leave you a bit flattened.The fact that your spine is deteriorating means it's high time you had your surgery.That's quite a shift in 10 months and would explain why you were having pain.You do not want to consider how this would be in 10 years time.

Like sins said, no matter how much you feel things change over a period of time, when you hear the consultant actually say that it has gotten worse it's very hard to take in. I was sort of prepared for problems in 5-10 years time, but really these appointments were only so that I could keep an eye on it up to then. Sure I was aware of extra pain but I really didn't think it ws going to be such an issue for me yet.

Yes the thought of a year off work isn't appealing. But if you don't do this properly then who knows what will happen in a few years. It will be worth it in the long run.
I really believe that. I'm not looking forward to it but I know I don't have options anymore and I plan on spending my months recouperating from it all by reading and drawing and anything else that won't be too strenuous for me.

We are here for you, no matter what. This will all be over with soon enough for you and when it is, I'll be bugging you for advice and help to get me through my part.

(Also, you wanted to come to Ireland .. you can come visit us when you have all this time off and are allowed travel again...)

:squeeze: (virtual one for now, shall give you a proper one on Saturday..)

zerodegrees
7th November 2005, 08:57 PM
am totally with you phil & sorry it didn't turn out as you expected. As sins said once you start having dates & times it gets rather real. The 2 week gap is a bit of a bummer but from the school of thought who prefer 2 stage with a gap they seem to think that the time in between the 2 stages greatly assists you with your healing. At one point I was having 2 stage with a 2 week gap for the exact same reason ie surgeon only works every other tuesday! We are so in the wrong profession.

Remember we're all here for you & as you know I've just "done" it and if I can manage then you'll breeze it! As the time drew nearer I started breaking everything into "time chunks" ie I would say "just think in 6 weeks it'll all be over" right down until the morning of surgery when I was saying "just think when I wake up it will all be over"! Amazingly it actually helped.

If you need to talk about anything let me know as its all still fresh in my rather rusty memory!

ps. I think your surgeon was just being cautious with your return to work. I think it very much depends on the individual. I would say we have similar jobs from a physical point of view & mine said I should be up and running within 5-6 months!

BeckyH
7th November 2005, 09:19 PM
phil i'm sorry to hear it didn't go as expected and i also wholeheartedly agree with chele in that unless you do things properly and do as you are told, you jeopardise your recovery a bit. i did exactly what i was told and bounced back incredibly quickly, even though i'm the least-fit 18 year old on the planet. you've also got to remember that you're having serious surgery and remodelling, so that's going to take your body some time to get used to.

you seem to have a very pragmatic attitude which reminds me a bit of my own, in that it's something you have to do, because if you don't it'll only get worse. might not be much consolation but you still have us mad lot :hammer:

Little Ali
7th November 2005, 09:42 PM
I can only read add to what everyone else has said. Big Hugs to you Phil :squeeze:

Phil
7th November 2005, 11:48 PM
Thanks everyone! These are the times i relalise why i belong here. Feel much better now so thanks again!

andrea
7th November 2005, 11:50 PM
I'm sorry it didn't go as you wanted Phil. A month does sound like a long time on its own, but in the context of a lifetime, it's really not that long at all. And just think...the longer you're there, the more time it gives us all to organise coming to visit you :D

As the others have said, you'll approach the new year with a new back and a new attitude to getting on with the rest of your life with this behind you. We'll all be here for you (although perhaps some of us not as often as we would like).

Take care
x

Phil
7th November 2005, 11:53 PM
Thanks andrea, another plus point will be if they can get my the private side room with TV and dvd. They said they will try so fingers crossed. I snore loudly too...

mark
8th November 2005, 12:19 AM
Sorry things did not go to plan phil, i just hope you can get such a antatic correction to make it all worthwhile, and take care mate i will be thinking of you all the way.

Anything i can do to help post op just shout up and if i can i will help

once again try take it easy

mark

RocketQueen
8th November 2005, 02:18 AM
Wow Phil what a let down. But hey * shurgs shoulders* what can ya do? I feel a bit bad, we were all like, "you'll be out just b3 X mas, COOOOL!!".

Well I say, I'll see if I can make it in and visit you at some point. We got to Huntingdon pretty easily by train the other day, so it shouldn't be a problem. Also, You will be out for nu year, and I recking ur family should have a new year/ celebration for Phil being outta hospital party! Sound good? Yeah go on, demand one, you know u wanna.

The other guys are prolly right ur surgeon is prolly giving u worse case scenario as far as retunring to work is concerned. It's prolly so u don't run urself into troubles saying ull be back soon, and then saying ur not allowed. :). Anyhows, I was sposed to say lots of other things, but i'm tired, and ill, and have forgotton most of them, So night night for now. and U have my number so feel free to bug me at any time about ne thing.

curvy
8th November 2005, 04:48 AM
:wave: Hi everyone I know exactly how Phil feels :squeeze: to you. I just had my question and answer with one doctor and of course its not what I want to hear. It seems numbers changed and Im still in shock. My thoracic kyphosis measures 90 degrees between T3 & T12. I guess a bone graph yuk will still need to be done...apparantely BMP has not yet passed FDA here in the states and is very expensive. Perhaps this can be used where you live.

So I will have 3 bars extending from T2-L2 Wow and this will be done posterior only. It seems strange why Drs use different methods. Perhaps because I only have Scheuermanns Kyphosis.

Anyways John (zerodegrees) so i see your reply....hows things going???? Ihope you have the opportunity to write a journal. Seems theres not many of us with Scheuermanns other than this site.

Hang in there Phil......at least theres people on this site that have been through it..perhaps you can be an inspiration to me. I will be scheduling my surgery in January.

jfkimberly
8th November 2005, 07:14 AM
Oh, Phil... I'm so sorry it's progressed so much! Did he say what kind of correction he hopes to achieve? He's not looking at just controlling it, is he?

A month in hospital sounds miserable.

How was your spirometry? With a 75 degree kyphosis, is it impairing your lung function?

Phil
8th November 2005, 11:22 AM
Thanks guys, you all make me feel much better. I am pretty fine about it all now.

Spirometry was a lot better than last time. 86% lung capacity i think!

jfkimberly
8th November 2005, 11:35 AM
Oh, 86% is still pretty decent. That's good. What was it last time?