PDA

View Full Version : Andrea?

Gadget
6th November 2005, 02:28 PM
Hiya, hope you are both doing fine? I was just curious how you got on with a cast and nappies and potty training? Sami is styill in nappies at the moment but she should be going to school in september next year in their nursery so i could do with having a stab with potty training. Did the cast effect things at all? I'd like some first hand experiences, so i know what i'm going to be dealing with.
Thanks for your help.
G xx

andrea
6th November 2005, 10:26 PM
Hiya

Potty training was a lot easier than I thought it would be, to be honest with you. I started when Erin was 2 and a half, and while I thought she would never get the hang of it, she caught on really quickly. I found that she couldn't get down on to the smaller potties initially (although she can now if that's all she can find!) so I bought her a couple of potty chairs from Mothercare, and she sat on them like a throne! As far as her ability to use the potty or be trained on it goes, the cast wasn't an issue at all. It does make it more difficult for her to twist round and wipe her bottom when she's done a no 2 (sorry to be graphic), but otherwise she's fine. She now takes herself off to the big toilet and does everything herself.

She's still in nappies at nighttime, but they don't pose an issue. I find normal ones are better than pullups as the latter tend to come up over the cast and then the cast can get wet.

Hope that helps alleviate your concerns a little. Feel free to ask questions and i'll post anything else that I remember.

Andrea
x

Gadget
6th November 2005, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the info, it's good to know that it doesn't really effect things. We have a potty chair thing anyway so even better. We have real trouble with pull up type nappies and have to make sure that her nappies are a size bigger so that they fit right on her wonky pelvis else we find that they slide out on one side and well eugh! you can imagine lol lol.
Oh yes just remembered. Does the cast mean that her clothes need to be a bit bigger?
Thanks for your help.
G xx

andrea
7th November 2005, 02:07 PM
Yes, she will need different clothes, at least some anyway. Stretchy tops are great (I now go round clothes shops stretching everything to see how much they stretch before buying). Not necessarily for when they are on, but you might find she can no longer put her arms straight up in the air, which makes dressing more tricky. I prefer to put Erin in skirts and dresses because they are generally easier. The fashion for long socks and legwarmers this winter makes things even better :D . Jeans is a general no-go as they don't stretch enough for them to stay on the cast when she bends down, so you end up pulling her trousers up all day which will drive you insane. Dungarees are good, although not when you're potty training! For trousers, the two pack of velour trousers or jogging bottoms from Next are great as they have an elasticated waist and stay up regardless of what she gets up to.

I find that Erin fits a 4-5 in most things (she was 3 in August, although is a big 3) and 5-6 in some, depending on the cut.

Hope that helps. Any news with that appointment yet? I'm feeling your frustration!

Gadget
8th November 2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the tips. We just had a load given to us from a friend who's daughter has grown out of them so hopefully a lot of those will fit.
No no word yet and i'll admit that i haven't rung them yet, my eldest has come down with serious impetigo and i'm really not feeling that well either. Hopefully i'll be able to ring soon with out either heaving or having a whining 8 year old attatched to me.
G xx

newgirl
9th November 2005, 03:01 PM
Hi Gadget,
I second everything Andrea said, but I will admit to not being able to give up on jeans for Niamh. We have not gone down the potty training route yet, so i invested in a pair of braces for her jeans and so long as the waist band is stretchy enough to go over the cast the braces keep them in place. I know that this will be completely impracticle when we do the training but for the moment we are all happy.

With regard to the nappies. particurly at night we use 2 nappies. If you use the smallest nappy that will fasten on her, generally it will not come up as far as the cast. Then we put a normal size nappy on over this to catch any leaks. This has been working very well for us so far/

i hope you are feeling a bit better, best of luck with getting in contact with the hospital,
Nicola

jfkimberly
10th November 2005, 09:32 AM
For those in the US, "braces" mean suspenders.

andrea
10th November 2005, 03:47 PM
Dare I ask what you call suspenders (ie the things used to hold stockings up)?

BeckyH
10th November 2005, 03:51 PM
don't americans call stocking suspenders a garter belt? or am i making that up?

ETA: in the least smug way, i was right :-) i found an american/english dictionary. if you scroll down, it lists everyday things (at the top is just spelling differences) and the list is written alphabetically according to the american spelling (so ladies suspenders are under G for garter belt, and braces are under S for suspenders) here (http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/~jphb/american.html) i'm actually finding this to be quite interesting...

jfkimberly
11th November 2005, 01:21 AM
I know! Sometimes it's like we're speaking two completely different languages. For the longest time, I couldn't figure out what my French (of British origin) friend was talking about when he was suggesting "braces" for me when I'd lost my belt. Finally he pointed some out to me and I said, "Oooooh! You mean suspenders!"