PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if it's scoliosis related

Blair
21st June 2004, 05:22 PM
Just venting a bit...
My lower back has been giving me heck (throbs for about a half an hour after I lay down)and my spasams are still getting worse in spite of being back on my muscle relaxers again. I haven't ridden in a few days to see if maybe I was pushing myself too hard. But I'm just getting stiffer the less I do, so it's back in the saddle I go as of tonight.
But the most annoying thing is that I keep losing feeling from the hip down in my left leg, or sometimes my hip goes "out" when I stand up after sitting for longer periods of time. Went and saw the new Harry Potter movie on saturday night, and when I got up to leave the theater, my hip totally quit on me and I had to stand leaning against the wall for nearly 10 minutes before my leg would behave properly enough to walk out.
I had a couple of discs in my lower back with some "mild degenerative changes" according to my MRI about a year ago. I'm willing to bet that the sore back is probably from those little buggers.
But this leg thing has me stumped. I've tried stretching, and it doesn't do anything. Granted, bad hips and knees aren't uncommon in avid horseback riders, and I already have the bad knees. Perhaps the hips are just following to suit?
But I'm not sure that I want to bring it up at my appointment next month- nearly all the time, I end up almost totally asymptomatic at my appointment. Somehow, I can be feeling completely rotten the night before, but go to my appointment and feel not too bad in the grand scheme of things. My docs probably think I'm a hypochondriac. And I'm starting to wonder the same thing. :woe:

sins
21st June 2004, 05:55 PM
You're certainly not a hypochondriac Blair.Make sure to bring it up at your next appointment next month.You're still only six months after fusion so you can expect to have some residual side effects.Don't get too worried about these degenerated discs.It doesn't mean that this is the cause of your pain.Ask your physical therapist to recommend some exercises to help and keep off the running track.Losing the feeling from hip down is a horrid sensation.It's happened on and off to me on a few occasions but always comes right after a few minutes.Ask that Doc of yours and see what has to say.

Kayla
21st June 2004, 07:26 PM
lol I always kid that I am a hypochondriac I will get some kind of bump and say I have cancer! I am going to die! Or I will get a cough and say I have phenmonia and then again say I am dying but I am always kidding about those things I hope it works out for you Blair!

BarmyArmy
21st June 2004, 07:50 PM
I'm sorry that you're having bother Blair, I agree with Sins and think you should tell your doctor about this extra pain. I hope this doesn't happen too often as it sounds sore . :hug:

Blair
23rd June 2004, 02:29 PM
Gr.... I ended up scrapping my riding plans the past few nights too. My lower back is a bit better, but I'm once again walking around with a towel around my neck to support it. Muscle spasams are SO annoying

Blair
21st July 2004, 12:19 AM
Well, for the first time in my life, I'm actually grateful for my back being painful...
I have an appointment to see my doctor tomorrow afternoon, and as of right now, my back is really miserable- so odd that a fast walk is tougher on my back than a slow jog....
Hoping to stay sore through tomorrow. Cross your fingers... ;-)

Kayla
21st July 2004, 04:48 AM
I dont get it why are you happy aboutit?

Blair
21st July 2004, 05:20 PM
I'm happy about it because I'm tired of going to the doctors and saying.... "It doesn't feel bad now... but it did yesterday/last week/etc......" You can only say that so many times before wondering if maybe you're just being wimpy....

jfkimberly
21st July 2004, 07:48 PM
How did the appointment go?

Blair
22nd July 2004, 12:01 AM
Didn't go so great. I didn't get in to my 1:30 pm appointment until after 3 pm (annoying). Sat in the waiting room until 2:30, but finally I couldn't take sitting anymore so I went for a walk, which really loosened up my left shoulder a lot.

Then my doc wasn't there yet. So I saw some new doc, got some new x-rays. My spasams were kind of brushed aside since they are relieved by me laying down (quickest) or just being up and moving around, and being on a muscle relaxer. It's kind of a pain to take 10 minutes out of roughly every hour of work to go walk around, and then have to take time to settle back in to work.... But I guess it won't kill me.

The good news is that all the cracking my back has been doing lately (up in the instrumented part) isn't because my hardware is damaged, though at 7 months, there wasn't a lot of healing evident on the x-ray.

They were pleased that I am so active with riding and running.

I felt really rushed by the docs, and forgot to ask a few questions.... 1) I've been using a back brace when I ride since it keeps my lower back from being sore afterwards. I was wondering if using it long term would be a bad thing- lead to weakened muscles, etc....
I was also wondering about pushing myself for more flexibility in my lower back- if that would be a good idea or if it would put extra wear on my discs....

Well, I can ask when I go back for my 1 yr check in December...

Prob. will take a trip next week to my family doc to discuss my meds... From what I've read, Flexeril should only be used short term.. and I've been on it for over 6 months.... So I might see if that's anythign to worry about or if I should stick with it since it works fairly well...