PDA

View Full Version : Here they are - scars & xrays!

zerodegrees
5th November 2005, 10:54 AM
Hi troops,

After a very shaky and fragile first week at home I am now ready to horrify you with my scars & xrays!

The first week has been very tough as I am extremely uncomfortable & living in a morphine haze. Still have a wee bit of wound infection which the district nurse is keeping on top of and my lung still needs plenty of deep breathing to try and get it fully reinflated!

Anyway, here they are starting with scars

posterior scar

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/jonboy69/DSCN0039.jpg

thorascopy scar

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/jonboy69/DSCN0041.jpg

Kyphosis comparisson xrays
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/jon...ncomparison.jpg (http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/jonboy69/johncomparison.jpg)

scoliosis comparisson xrays

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/jon...comparison2.jpg (http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/jonboy69/johncomparison2.jpg)

How clever are those surgeons?

No doubt you'll all need a lie down after that lot!

love john x

BeckyH
5th November 2005, 11:05 AM
it looks like you've had a fantastic result john, and the temporary discomfort will be worth it :niceone:

mark
5th November 2005, 11:32 AM
Great results John, i bet your over the moon with your correction

sins
5th November 2005, 11:47 AM
How clever are those surgeons?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
That is one remarkable surgical success! I'm both astounded and amazed at the outcome.
Congratulations, you must be over the moon.
The scars don't look too bad, still a bit messy but hopefully another few weks will take care of that.The thoracoscopic scars caused me to momentarily pause with a spoon of cornflakes in mid air, but otherwise very very good, neat needlework.
Sins

MOB
5th November 2005, 12:18 PM
:niceone: Well done!
Take good care.
MOB

rosie
5th November 2005, 12:25 PM
your xrays look fab! esp the kyphosis ones! brilliant corrections!! :D :D
xxxx

Abbi
5th November 2005, 02:31 PM
WOW! :rox: :clap: they are brilliant x-rays John! From your scoliosis x-rays your spine looks so straight!!!! :D YAY well done!!!! :squeeze:

Your scars looks great too.....the thoracoscopic scars look sore though, with the staples, but all in all I'd say they are pretty groovy scars - go show them off with pride! :D

Blair
5th November 2005, 03:32 PM
What a fantastic result!!!!
The staples did give me a bit of pause. I can't imagine having them somewhere sensitive like my side. They were icky enough in my stomach where there is no pressure from your arm.

Thaleias spirit
5th November 2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Blair@Nov 5 2005, 03:32 PM
What a fantastic result!!!!
The staples did give me a bit of pause. I can't imagine having them somewhere sensitive like my side. They were icky enough in my stomach where there is no pressure from your arm.
Wow ! Fantastic xrays !!
You must be so pleased with the results John.

One qyestion though: why is there staples in your back?
Why did they not use stitches?
Is staples a standard thing ?

Phil
5th November 2005, 04:07 PM
Great correction John, the posterior scar looks good too. Is the thorascopy a less invasive version of the anterior surgery?

BeckyH
5th November 2005, 04:31 PM
i would make a hesitant guess and say that john has staples because he's got "bullet holes" rather than an incision. stitches tend to be internal and i'd imagine that putting internal stitches in those holes would be tricky to impossible, so to avoid stitching from the outside (and thus puckering the skin among other things?) they've stapled. and yes, it's a less invasive procedure, but relatively new i think, and as with all such procedures, not done by every doctor and not suitable for all patients :-)

tonibunny
5th November 2005, 04:42 PM
WOW John your back looks amazing!!! Congrats, does it feel really strange to you or are you beginning to get used to your new shape? :D

zerodegrees
5th November 2005, 06:56 PM
still not used to my new shape yet! Feel like I am strapped to a telegraph pole or something which in a strange way I probably am! Am still amazed though at my flat back which I am petrified I will wake up one day and it will be gone! Still think my body shape from the front needs to settle down a wee bit as looks a bit odd to me but then thats probably 36 years of looking one way and then overnight changing shape.

As for the thorascopic anterior release phil, I didn't find out I was having that until my pre-op 2 weeks before. Apparently it just depends on each surgeons preferred method. Having the anterior release this way is a fairly new procedure but has its pro's & cons. The pros being its easier for the patient as there is minimal scaring & less pain but it can be quite difficult to get a successful release of very stiff curves this way for the surgeon.

I know in my case they stopped the release quite early on as they encountered heavy bleeding but still managed to acheive a great correction.

I forgot to mention also, I didn't have any blood transfusions as thankfully due to the cellsaver technique I managed to get all of my own back!

Jonny
5th November 2005, 07:05 PM
That's great to hear John - and the x-rays are very impressive :D fantastic correction! Is that T2-L3?

The telegraph pole: true in a way ;-) you do get used to it quickly. Another thorascopic story is good too - only the second we've had on SSo.

The staples are a bit scary :D

sins
5th November 2005, 07:48 PM
I had staples......make sure you keep them as a souvenir when they come out.I have a jar somewhere in my parent's house with 52 staples and 18 blue stitches (from the bone graft scar on back of my pelvis).
Sins

Thaleias spirit
5th November 2005, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by sins@Nov 5 2005, 07:48 PM
I have a jar somewhere in my parent's house with 52 staples and 18 blue stitches (from the bone graft scar on back of my pelvis).

52 Staples? :-o

Oh god, suddenly I'm not so sure about surgery after all ..
The more I hear the less sure I feel about it all.

BeckyH
5th November 2005, 08:00 PM
i had the stitches from when i had a tooth taken out but they disappeared :cry: i still have all the teeth i've had removed though :D

Little Ali
5th November 2005, 09:25 PM
Yay! Congratulations John! What a fab result! I'm really chuffed for you! :niceone: :squeeze: :monkey:

jfkimberly
5th November 2005, 09:37 PM
Oh, wow! I know you're still in pain and recovering and stuff, but even now you must be SO happy you went through with it... look how straight and upright it is! That's incredible!

Congratulations! (I'm having another attack of spine envy... *wistful sigh*)

The kyphosis improvement is amazing... how much height did you gain?

butterflylr
5th November 2005, 10:59 PM
Those are excellent results! I am with others as the staples made me cringe a bit. My dad accidently stapled me in the stomach once when I was about 5 so it reminded me of that *shudders*. Other than that, they look great!

mark
6th November 2005, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by jfkimberly@Nov 5 2005, 09:37 PM

The kyphosis improvement is amazing... how much height did you gain?
He gained 6 inches in height, the lucky man

jfkimberly
6th November 2005, 05:41 AM
WOW! *wistful sigh* If I could get that kind of correction, I could go from being "short" to "above average" height (for a woman).

Phil
6th November 2005, 08:31 AM
6 inches! Thats amazing, very shocked at that. I would love a correction like that John.

BeckyH
6th November 2005, 10:56 AM
six inches!!! whoa. i don't think i gained two inches, which disappointed me a bit

Abbi
6th November 2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by zerodegrees@Nov 5 2005, 06:56 PM
still not used to my new shape yet! Feel like I am strapped to a telegraph pole or something which in a strange way I probably am! Am still amazed though at my flat back which I am petrified I will wake up one day and it will be gone! Still think my body shape from the front needs to settle down a wee bit as looks a bit odd to me but then thats probably 36 years of looking one way and then overnight changing shape.

Yeah it will feel weird for a while, but you'll get used to it.....infact sometimes I still feel weird in shape! I remember coming home and sitting down on a regular chair (without a pillow - which I had been used to in hospital) and I just felt wrong, I said "mum, they've made me all wrong" :hammer:
But you'll be surprised how easy you will adapt to things....soon they'll become normal.....like putting on clothes in a different way for a while (that fustrated me- but it just becomes second nature after a while)

And don't worry about waking up with your flat back gone - that'll never happen! :D

zerodegrees
6th November 2005, 05:19 PM
It was 6cm's I gained actually, not inches! Wow if it had been 6 inches I would have become amazon man! I am now nearly 6ft 2ins which is fantastic!

The staples are out and gave me the total heebie jeebies! The hospital gave me a special tool to give to the district nurse to pull them out with!

Forgot to mention also the surgeon said it was the most complicated correction of its type they had actually performed! They said it was most unusual for scheuermann's to come with such a large scoliosis too!

BeckyH
6th November 2005, 05:23 PM
you're just determined to totally go down in history. i'm not going to be remembered, the most dramatic thing that happened to me was fainting when i went to see the nurse :-(

good that the staples are out, you'll be bungee jumping before you know it

Thaleias spirit
6th November 2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by zerodegrees@Nov 6 2005, 05:19 PM
The staples are out and gave me the total heebie jeebies! The hospital gave me a special tool to give to the district nurse to pull them out with!

To PULL them out with ? :-o
You mean you were concious for it ?
Please please say they gave you something first so you didn't feel any pain.

Aghh, I feel really feel sick now ... :cry: :vomit:

As for the height:
6cm's / 6 inches - who cares if that was me I'd be happy with 6mm even!
And you're tall enough John, you don't need any extra height ..

sins
6th November 2005, 08:15 PM
It doesn't hurt to have the staples taken out at all. I had all mine taken out in less than two minutes.I also had staples after my c sections, granted, there were only 4 staples in a tiny incision, but I didn't even know they were being taken out either.
Sins

BeckyH
6th November 2005, 08:32 PM
i'd make a hesitant guess that you don't feel it so much due to being numb from nerve damage anyways? i'm trying to imagine someone taking staples out of my side in my current state and i can imagine the most it would feel like is gentle tugging

Phil
6th November 2005, 10:05 PM
John, i was also suprised with your scoliosis. My scoliosis is some rotation of the thoracic vertebrae. I do however think my lower back has curved to the side.

Great correction even so John, 6cm sounds more like it.

mark
7th November 2005, 01:49 AM
I always liked to exagerate

Jonny
7th November 2005, 01:52 AM
Don't we all.. even so, 6cm is an amazing height gain, and I shouldn't think it'll be more than a few weeks that John, you'll start to notice you're not in pain in situations where you would have been pre-op.

jfkimberly
7th November 2005, 04:36 AM
Yeah, a 6cm gain is still really exciting... Gosh, good surgeries make me happy. *grin*

This is one of those threads that makes me smile with you guys.

DublinPauline
7th November 2005, 09:33 AM
Wow, I'm impressed! You are really lucky to have had such an amazing result. Gain of 6 cm in height....now that makes me envious. Thank goodness for heels. :-D
BTW I had surgery for a neck cyst in 1992 and they used staples to hold the scar together - I looked like Frankenstein. :-o

zerodegrees
7th November 2005, 11:06 AM
strangely I didn't feel the staples coming out...the district nurse was surprisingly gentle with me which may have had something to do with the fact that I had wild staring eyes and a look that said "if I feel so much as a gentle twinge you're gonna get poked in the eye"

This morning district nurse discovered a suture that was left in at the site of my chest drain which is causing some infection. Shes coming back tomorrow to deal with it. It was a student nurse who took out my chest drain stitches and obviously missed one! grrrrr!

BeckyH
7th November 2005, 11:14 AM
:-o that's not very good - surely a more experienced nurse should have checked the student's work? oh well, at least the DN has figured part of it out.

Lizzie89
7th November 2005, 05:35 PM
Thats great John (the correction i mean :-? ) Well done you xxx

Thaleias spirit
7th November 2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by zerodegrees@Nov 7 2005, 11:06 AM
strangely I didn't feel the staples coming out...the district nurse was surprisingly gentle with me which may have had something to do with the fact that I had wild staring eyes and a look that said "if I feel so much as a gentle twinge you're gonna get poked in the eye"

We have one of those industrial staplers at work and just even looking at how tough they can be to pull the staples out of pages is awful, and you are trying to tell me you don't feel them coming out of the skin?

Sorry, still don't believe any of you on that. I think the morphine is floating over the forums and affecting everyone. The only reaosn it hasn't gotten me yet is simply because at 4'3, I'm out of it's range.

RocketQueen
8th November 2005, 01:47 AM
Oh I hope I don't have thorascopy. No offence John I think yours are great, but I already have a whole bunch off bullet holes in that area, and I aint too fond of them. Has any one got scars like a divide sign? With teh dot on top, and line, and dot underneath?

Ok best parts of this thread was Cheles morphoine floating over ther forum thoery, and Abbi's "Mum they made me all wrong". LOL

Was just thinking, do u think that staples used in surgery are mebbe a bit different? Thought they dont look it. Oh by the way. My dad had menieres disease. He had an op for it, and he had to have 52 staples................IN HIS SKULL!!! :).

Anyways, nerver damage and scars.

Where I have my scars? I can't feel hardly anything at all, can u guys?

BeckyH
8th November 2005, 09:05 AM
i'm getting feeling back in my scar very gradually, but i really do believe john when he says he didn't feel anything. john's still taking morphine (lucky devil :D) plus because of the nerve damage you can't feel much - i probably wouldn't know if i burnt myself for example. the numb patch is still there on my thigh too, but it'll go in time and it's a small price to pay for what i've achieved

mark
23rd February 2006, 10:26 PM
Have you got used to your new height yet John or do you bang your head when your walking through doors. I hope your not scared of heights :-D

Blair
24th February 2006, 04:30 PM
Whoopsies... jumping in late here... Staples aren't so bad. They're not like the industrial staples- they're shaped different... you pretty much just *pop* them out. (I didn't remove my own... Lilly got her side slashed open on a fence post one time and got stapled up. I had the pleasure of removing nearly sixty of the little buggers....
Of course, I woudn't want them anywhere that I was laying on or putting pressure on. But they were definitely (in my book) preferrable to stitches...