PDA

View Full Version : Back from the trenches!

zerodegrees
31st October 2005, 07:12 PM
Hi troops!

I'm back - hoooorrraayyyy!!!!! Can you beleive it. All I've got to say is just one word - ouch!

Have ready my own scoliosis thread as dutifuly kept updated by our very own "moira stewart" aka marmyte! Am totally bowled over by your overwhelming kindess & thoughts as usual :-)

Anyway, I'm doin ok. Got home on saturday after my marrathon surgery & my few dramas along the way ( can you beleive I pulled my chest drain & catheter out?) Talk about "heebie jeebies"!

The district nurse is coming in and it looks like I have a superficial infection in my long wound. They put special dressing on it today and will review on wednesday. Am a bit paranoid as they said at hospital that any infection is potientionally very serious if it gets in about the metalwork!. Keep your fingers crossed it goes away.

Got the staples out from the anterior release today which was lovely.

Am v disappointed that I actually looked healthy in the photos! Marmyte was supposed to touch them up to make me look positivley sick! I acutally look like I've had a facial and not back surgery!

Anyway, I'll sign off for tonight as its a bit achy doing things at the mo. I'll sign in for a wee while each day and keep you updated & hopefully before long I'll be back to full strength sso contributor!

I forgot to tell you the best bit though. Despite all the pain & drama, I now have a correction that I hardly dared to dream about. I have a nice natural looking back and am 6cm taller. It was all so worth it. Des has been a marvel & deserves a medal along with u guys.

Cheers to you all.

love john x

ps got photos of scars & gore to scare you with.

pps was fused from T3 - L3

Thaleias spirit
31st October 2005, 07:29 PM
It is great to have you back with us again!!

Just make sure you take things easy over the next few days, and hoepfuly that infection will be okay and nothing to worry too much about.

You are doing very well after it. I can only dream that I could even look a little bit good after surgery as good as you did after yours !! I tink I'll have to have someone on hand to make me look somebit presentable and not like something out of the a gore film.

Looking forward to seeing the photo's !!

chele

Phil
31st October 2005, 07:53 PM
Also looking forard to those photos john. Nice one mate, well done and glad to have you back.

titch
31st October 2005, 07:58 PM
QMC take any kind of infection extremely seriously, to the point of scaring the daylights out of you about it. However, I'm glad to hear that this means that it is being very thoroughly taken care of - it's rare for a superficial wound infection to actually get in and do any harm, but a very proactive approach to it helps make sure this is the case (it's a shame RNOH and others were not as proactive with treating Jonny's wound infection :rant: )

Anyway, fantastic to have you back with us and especially sounding so perky :-) You're right that Des needs a medal, you've got yourself a good bloke there :D

Jonny
31st October 2005, 09:01 PM
Welcome back John - great to see you on your feet! :D indeed a superficial infection is worth keeping an eye on, as QMC are doing, but they shouldn't be uncomfortable either, nor should they affect your scar considerably in the long run.

I'm looking forward to the photos too!

(and all the best people have been fused T3-L3 at some point ;-))

BeckyH
31st October 2005, 09:10 PM
grr can't believe i missed you! i'm not moira stewart! i'm katie derham! :D ahem anyways. surely i'm martha stewart too (if we mention any more stewarts it'll have to be my surgeon lol) i'm confusing myself and making little sense so i'll just finish with: nice to see you home

sins
31st October 2005, 09:11 PM
Welcome back John,
I'm absolutely thrilled for you!
That wonderful correction is what it's all about, and I'm sure you're on a high just thinking about how successful it's been, can't wait to see the photographs.
Sins

Abbi
31st October 2005, 09:17 PM
Hello John! :D Its great to have you back on SSO!!! I totally understand the achy part...I came online the day I came home and could only sit for about 5mins, but you'll regain your strength again - soon u'll be online loads, and showing us your fab new back! :D

Can't wait to see your scar actually!!!! You have been thru so much, and I congratulate u for that! *well done* Over a 12hour surgery! (so u beat me on the time - however you havent on the fusion length....hmm I win :P)

Take it easy John! Don't do too much too soon, have ur family running around after you (I'm sure they'll be more than glad to) Milk it :D

Lots of love and gentle :squeeze:
Abbi x

mark
31st October 2005, 09:54 PM
Welcome home soldier can't wait to see your war wounds

Jules
31st October 2005, 10:38 PM
Heya John, I accidentally jsut posted your welcome home message in your other thread but i can always say it again

:jump: Welcome Home :jump:

I hope you have a speedy recovery and the infection passes qucikly... looking forward to speaking to you online again soon! :D

curvy
1st November 2005, 05:32 AM
Hi John, :wave:

Welcome back. Wow did I read 12hr. Surgery Well I am a newbie but welcomed with open arms and was told about your surgery. I hope that infection goes away quickly :evil: away infection.

I will be having surgery in the next few months so I am also curuious to hear your story...Once you feel up to it......definitely write a journal!!!

Here's to a speedy recovery :clap: :jump:

Christina

RocketQueen
1st November 2005, 11:25 AM
John, they prolly woudn't have sent ya home, if they thought the infection was anything terrrible to worry about :). It's great that your back, Becky has been a legend in updating us all.

3 cheers for Marmyte please?

LOL, can't wait to see you on msn again :) x

DublinPauline
1st November 2005, 11:38 AM
Wow, that sounds like an amazing correction.
:jump: :jump: :jump: :party:
Sounds like both you and Des are now veterans and have earned your colours.
Now all you have to do for the next month or so is TAKE IT EASY! (The Irish mammy coming out in me)

andrea
1st November 2005, 02:33 PM
I'm at work and only have time to reply to one message.

Welcome home John!! Great to hear you're back at home safe and sound if a bit sore. I'm sure that will ease in time and you'll be back on your feet bouncing around before too long.

Not sure i'm looking forward to seeing the gore - I get a bit queasy when i know it's real (I can cope with Holby City tho!).

Take it easy and congrats on a great surgery.

Andrea
x

BeckyH
1st November 2005, 03:38 PM
i got a message from des earlier this afternoon:

"both so glad to be home. john had a rough morning. is more comfy now. has slight infection in wound and pressure sore on back. changing position in bed every couple of hours to ease pressure on back. can'tdo anything for himself at the moment. his appetite returning. district nurse coming in every 2 days for the wound. D x"

for those who haven't experienced surgery, all this is normal (the not doing stuff for yourself, having good and bad times, no appetite) and we shouldn't be worried. john's in very good hands and the fact that the DN is coming every 2 days is fantastic

claire
1st November 2005, 03:47 PM
Welcome home John.

Sounds like you had a brilliant correction.

Take it easy and enjoy all the atttention!!

zerodegrees
1st November 2005, 06:45 PM
back on for my usual 5 mins! Thanks for all the nice words!

Here's something to make you laugh. Last night our next door neighbours (who we dont know very well but are incredibly nice and would even make the royal family look common) popped round with a cake to welcome me home!

In true gore style I said do you want to see my wound & without waiting for a reply promptly removed my t-shirt! Next minute 2 of them (both grown adults) passed out in our living room! Not very good with things medical apparently!

As soon as they left des was uncontrolable with laughter & I was indeed mortified! I can never show my face ever again!

john

BeckyH
1st November 2005, 06:49 PM
hahaha that's HILARIOUS. i was showing my scar off in the pub on sunday night :D

titch
1st November 2005, 06:51 PM
Oh, how I would have loved to have been there :D

Blair
1st November 2005, 06:59 PM
Oh my gosh! What a fabulous reaction John!
The best reaction I ever got on the whole scoliosis thing was when I showed my post op xrays to my Mr. Ever So Macho neighbor. He nearly fell backwards off the porch!

BeckyH
1st November 2005, 07:05 PM
haha. i've so far convinced 6 people i was attacked by a shark

Abbi
1st November 2005, 07:14 PM
hahahahaha!!!!! that is sooooo funny!!!! I show my scar to everyone!!! "you wana see my scar" (up goes the t-shirt) :D

Becky - I have been telling people....some random man came after me with a knife!

BeckyH
1st November 2005, 07:15 PM
i don't even give people the option. i say "want to see my scar/xrays?" and then whip them out before people respond. i'm such an exhibitionist lol

Abbi
1st November 2005, 07:29 PM
lol! thats what my sister is saying to me.....she wouldnt even look at my x-rays "abbi your such an exhibitionist....put them away" but I flashed them in front of her face, and said "aren't they cool" "hmm...." she replied!

Blair
1st November 2005, 07:40 PM
Becky! You're TERRIBLE! -P I've been tempted to tell those who asked about my scar before i had it revised that I got a really bad itch when I was cutting some veggies for a salad, and forgot to put the knife down before scratching it. :-P

sins
1st November 2005, 07:43 PM
I can never show my face ever again!

I think you'll be ok to show your face again,but definitely keep the war wounds covered :P

Was the cake as nice as Becky's?
Sins

Liv
1st November 2005, 08:24 PM
Welcome back, John!! :-) Take it easy. Step by step! ;-)

DublinPauline
1st November 2005, 08:29 PM
I would love to have seen the fainting neighbours!
:-D :-D :-D
A woman told me recently that her husband fainted when she was in labour and all the midwives fussed over him, getting him a wheelchair etc while she *laboured* on. :roll:

Amazed Jean
1st November 2005, 08:57 PM
Welcome back. Please be caueful and get a lot of rest. The thing with your neighbors is great! It must of been a trifle frightening for you to have two stone cold people on your floor -glad you didn't have to call in emergency help to bring them round. I had a similar incident when my father in law whipped a photo in front of my face that was taken of his surgical incision for prostate problems. i wasn't expecting him to have photos and I was pregnant. I just went woosh into a chair and sort of then onto the floor. I am not normally so delicate. It was embarrassing but I never let him show me any photos after that.

BeckyH
1st November 2005, 08:58 PM
on his prostate? i'm not surprised you passed out!

Joy
2nd November 2005, 04:47 AM
Welcome back!! Glad to see you survived, you seem positively cheerful!

Lizzie89
2nd November 2005, 06:05 PM
Great to hear from you John :-) we missed you, much love :rox:

RocketQueen
3rd November 2005, 02:19 AM
I'm jelouse, I want my scar! NOW!!! NOW I tell you.........

Says she with 2 already *rolls eyes, with cheeky grin*

p.s. I actually hate one of them though.

zerodegrees
3rd November 2005, 01:21 PM
had mild drama yesterday when I was taken to hospital with possible lung problems. After surgery they had problems reinflating my lung and I still have a tiny gap and a bit of infection. I developed a rumbling noise in my lung and had to be admitted to get it checked out and see if it needed draining. Thankfully it didn't, i just need to perservere with my chest exercises.

The doctor said he didnt want to keep me in just in case I caught an infection which I was delighted with! Am now scared of being readmitted as I have now got hospital overload and total fear of chest drains!

BeckyH
3rd November 2005, 01:39 PM
flippin heck john you're just DETERMINED to terrify us all and send us to an early grave with your stories aren't you?!?! i think i'll go and lie down in a darkened room now

mark
3rd November 2005, 08:10 PM
How have you ben today John, i hope you haven't had to visit hospital again

Lizzie89
3rd November 2005, 08:56 PM
John i knew you were abit melodramatic, but i recon im gonna have some sort of embolism before youve recovered :-)

zerodegrees
12th November 2005, 02:20 PM
just a quick update for the week.....not had the best week painwise as nothing seems to be shifting. Have been feeling quite flat too (which I believe can be related to taking morphine), so have had a couple of spontaneous bursting into tears moments!! Have managed to catch a urine infection so am back on antibiotics & still have minor infection in my wound but the good news is that appears to be clearing up nicely!

Des goes back to work next week so will have to fend for myself during the day which should be entertaining, but apart from that all is well & I am still well happy following my op.

Jonny
12th November 2005, 07:08 PM
Glad to hear the infection's clearing up :-) a UTI isn't the most pleasant thing, from what I've gathered - was it related to your catheter?

Anaesthetic can cause depressive symptoms for a few weeks - it can take up to about six weeks to leave the system. It'll carry on getting better, though!

It's slow but you notice the difference every day (I hope).

mark
12th November 2005, 08:38 PM
I hope you start to pick up soon John, wonder you feeling a bit weepy you just had major spinal surgery and one of the longest fusions on this site you deservea little cry