PDA

View Full Version : Plaster Casts & Plastic Jackets(Braces)

andy_d
30th October 2005, 06:05 PM
I have been told that once my surgery has been done (for my Scheuermann's) - That a few days after I will be put into a non removable fixed plaster cast.

I will wear this for three months, and then have a fresh new one fitted for another three.
Once those six months are complete I will then be in a removable plastic jacket (brace) for a further six months.

Basically I was wondering if anyone has had experience of the non removable plaster casts, or also if anyone has a photo of one.

:spin:

sins
30th October 2005, 06:47 PM
Hi Andy,
I had that non removeable type after my surgery.However I thought the hospitals rarely used them now, preferring to use braces instead.
Having said that, the plaster casts are very effective and quite lightweight and comfortable.
perhaps it's something to do with your height, I don't know, but they seem very determined to keep you still post op and let your spine fuse solidly.
I've posted a pic of my plaster cast in the gallery.
Sins

tonibunny
30th October 2005, 10:31 PM
Hi John, welcome back! I wore plaster casts as a child, and then had a post-operative cast following my first surgery when I was ten. They had made a Boston-style brace for me at that time, but I found it so uncomfortable that they put me into a cast instead - so obviously, I found casts more comfy than braces :D The only real downside is that you can't take them off to have a bath or shower.

andy_d
30th October 2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by tonibunny@Oct 30 2005, 09:31 PM
Hi John, welcome back!
huh? :-o :???:

tonibunny
30th October 2005, 11:55 PM
DUH sorry Andy, my brain is not working today - I had another window open on SSO and was looking at John's thread at the same time as posting this! :oops: :idiot: Someone slap me.....

RocketQueen
31st October 2005, 03:16 AM
I never had a plaster non removable brace, but I had a bosotn brace, whihc was really comfy. I used to love sleeping in it, you don't have to worry wear ur spine is wandering off too, or that you will wake up in pain in the morn. Where it was correcting y curve, the pad they put in for me, made it feel like someone had rubbed radain B into the area. Was loverly! :) x

Phil
31st October 2005, 02:33 PM
Andy, from my knowledge its very unusual for a post op cast of any sorts for Kyphosis surgery. I am aware some surgeons consider it for fusion without instrumentation. I know a fair few post op Kyphosis peeps, none of which have been braced.

Who's your surgeon and where is he based? May be worth asking him his reasons when you next see him.

andy_d
31st October 2005, 03:10 PM
well, i think it makes sense really... I would have thought the spine is going to fuse better by having no movement etc, hence the cast.... So I cant understand people NOT being cast or braced to be honest...

unless it's to do with the degree of my curve etc....

but like i said, i think it makes sense TO brace or plaster spinal patients...

Jonny
31st October 2005, 08:12 PM
Generally it's a combination of the preference of the surgeon and the stability of the instrumentation. The point of modern instrumentation is to fix everything immovably so you don't need external support, although it's reassuring for the surgeon and for you that you can't put any strain on it until it's all fused.