PDA

View Full Version : Possible date!

Phil
26th October 2005, 02:33 PM
As normal i rang Hinchingbrooke for my monthly check up to see if they have a date.

That bad the secretary recognised my voice and confirmed as long as they have the spinal monitoring person that surgery will take place on the 6th of December. They will confirm for certain on Monday when the spinal guy comes back from leave.

It's hit me like a bus, god knows why but it has.

Will speak with work tomorrow which is scaring me, and I have an appointment with Spiromtery today to see what my lung function is like.

Will keep you all updated and confirm if its then. If anyone is not far from Cambridge, i will be bout half an hour away in Huntington and wont be going anywhere! :P

Finally moving!

BeckyH
26th October 2005, 06:28 PM
phil that's great news! i'm not surprised when you say you feel the news has hit you hard - it did for me and i knew almost when it would be coming, plus i had more warning than you did.

john will be home before you go so hopefully you can have a quick chat with him and he can tell you about his experience, but in the meantime there are tons of us here who know what it's like :squeeze:

Maggie
26th October 2005, 06:31 PM
Thats brilliant! Its good thats its soon.

Abbi
26th October 2005, 06:31 PM
Excellent News Phil! I am glad to see things are moving forward for you! I know what you mean when you said it hit you....It is rather daunting! But don't worry, you'll be grand! And before you know it you'll be recovering at home with a lovely xmas pud in ur lap! :D

sins
26th October 2005, 06:38 PM
It is indeed high time you got a date for surgery!
Who's taking care of you when you come out for Christmas?
I suppose Blair knows this feeling very well, she had her op at the same time and was doing well for Christmas.
That recepionist will probably have you on her Christmas card list! :P

titch
26th October 2005, 06:39 PM
That's great news - and I'll join in on the knowing what you mean about how hard it hits. You'll probably get another attack of it when you get the letter as well :P Seriously though, it'll be fantastic to be all sorted and straight for the new year, so fingers crossed the spinal monitoring guy is available for that date :-)

mark
26th October 2005, 06:40 PM
Fantastic news Phil and you should be out in time to open your xmas presents too. Fingers crossed the spinal monitoring person is in town

Phil
26th October 2005, 06:41 PM
I will be coming home to my parents for Xmas. Thanks for your wishes.

Just been back from my lung function test, I have the lungs of a 42 year old. She explained i had reduced lung capacity but did not tell me what percentage. The conversation was then ended, i am now thinking what now....

Jonny
26th October 2005, 06:51 PM
Great to hear you have a date Phil. That is certainly when it hits you!

For my revision, though, I found that I was so glad that I had a date that I wasn't nervous at all, just incredibly relieved.

You'll be fine - in on the 6th and probably home by the 13th or 14th :D

(and I'm near Cambridge!)

mark
26th October 2005, 06:51 PM
I would go back and ask her to explain what she meant by that because to me that is something very odd to tell someone without further explaining herself

Or ask her for a copy of the results and take em to your own Dr to decipher

Phil
26th October 2005, 07:11 PM
Thanks Jonny, Yeah Huntingdon is about 30/40 mins from you at a guess. All depends on if i am having single or 2 stage. The surgeon said two stage initially. Guess they know best...

You're right Mark. I was shocked and gob-smacked when she said my lung age is 42. Thats double my age! I went blank.

Liv
26th October 2005, 07:15 PM
Wow, that's only like 6 weeks to go! But it's good you have date so you can start preparing yourself and you'll be celebrating the new year with a straight back. :-D I don't understand why that woman of the spirometry told you that. They normally get a paper with the results on in percentages after the test is done, right? :-?

Phil
26th October 2005, 07:24 PM
Thanks Liv. Yeah, she had a piece of paper from the printout. She shoved it in an envelope. I should have asked what the percentage was. Thinking i might call them back at some point however i am not sure if they can give me the details over the phone.

mark
26th October 2005, 07:25 PM
Ask for them to be forwarded to your GP

Thaleias spirit
26th October 2005, 07:32 PM
YEAH !!!!!! About Time too !!!!

Ooh I can guess how you feel (if its anything like I am right now then :squeeze: )
Well I won't be able to come visit you in hospital but I'll see you before that so we can torment each other on all our questions.

I am thrilled for you, what a great early Christmas Pressie !!

I'm sure you will do just fine and if you're worried about the lung function test results you can ring the recptionist again and she might tell you :-) .

:hammer:

chele

Jmullings
26th October 2005, 10:55 PM
Hi Phil

That is great news that you have a surgery date. Take it from me it is good that you don't have much time to worry about it. I found out I was having surgery a month before it happened.

It doesn't really give you enough time to get worked up about it.

You will be fine

Jo

RocketQueen
27th October 2005, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Abbi@Oct 26 2005, 04:31 PM
Excellent News Phil! I am glad to see things are moving forward for you! I know what you mean when you said it hit you....It is rather daunting! But don't worry, you'll be grand! And before you know it you'll be recovering at home with a lovely xmas pud in ur lap! :D
Thats what I was thinking! Ull be out and then it'll be christamas really soon. You will get loadsa pressies and visitors, and nice food, it'll be brill! :) Best way i think. You look forward to it mate x

nutmeg
27th October 2005, 08:52 AM
This website has a lung age caclulator
Lung age calculator (http://www.chestx-ray.com/PFTs/PFTprediction.html)

I don't know your height, Phil, so I put in various heights and compared the values for 21 year olds and 42 year olds. From these it appears that at age 42 typical lungs have about 88% the capacity they did at age 21, so your lungs are not too bad at all.

Did the person who did the test know why you were having it done - apparently they use the age figures to scare smokers into giving up, because it sounds much worse than the percentage figure

BeckyH
27th October 2005, 10:56 AM
ooh thanks for that nutmeg. according to that calculator i should be at 3.87 litres, but because i've had surgery i'm quite a bit less than that. i'll get out my breathing coach and get practicing :D

Lizzie89
27th October 2005, 11:20 AM
Im glad you finally got your date Phil, good luck wishes winging there way to you |aleteration and all :-) |

pips
27th October 2005, 12:05 PM
I expect that express train will hit me too when I finally get a date!

The timing looks nice though, doesn't it - home in time for Christams and all that and not too long to wait to have it all over and done with. Then all you have to do is have fun with your new straight life. :D

sins
27th October 2005, 12:22 PM
Don't panic Phil, I have the lung age of 102 :-D :-D
Your lung function at over 80% is absolutely fine,You're young and fit and I promise all those gym workouts will be of huge benefit.
If it were less than 60 % it may make the A/P procedure more challenging from a respiratory point of view.I think you'll be fine.
Sins

BeckyH
27th October 2005, 03:53 PM
lol sins 102! that's...probably really inappropriate for me to be laughing at

Phil
27th October 2005, 07:25 PM
Thanks everyone. Makes me feel better. Double my age concerned me.

Spoke to work today, they are cool however they want confirmation from surgeon that i can carry out the job once recovered. Hoping he can confirm this and that his impression of a prison officer is not fighting all day cause i hardly ever get into any issues.
My union rep was very supportive and offered to come to my appointments to support me better in my absence. Think letters will do though.

Thaleias spirit
27th October 2005, 07:37 PM
That predictor is um scary to say the least.

My Predicted FEV 1.0 level reads at 2.04L

And if I type in my measurement from last appontment which was 1.3L
I have a lung age of 61 years.

That's *almost* twice my present age.

Then again the first line explaining their calculations does say the following:

Many physicians use spirometry to measure the lung function of smokers as a means to convince them to stop smoking.

mark
27th October 2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by marmyte@Oct 27 2005, 01:53 PM
lol sins 102! that's...probably really inappropriate for me to be laughing at
I wouldn't if i was you Becky :hammer:

Phil
31st October 2005, 04:22 PM
Rang them today and the 6th of December has been confirmed. In on the 5th.

I have my pre op on the 7th of November and some other appointment on the 14th.

Its all a go...

mark
31st October 2005, 04:27 PM
Fantastic news Phil now you definately know you will be home in time for xmas, and just think no work, family looking after your every need, extra presents because your poorly.

Good to hear somethings going right for you at last Phil

BeckyH
31st October 2005, 04:29 PM
wow yes, i hadn't thought of that mark. phil's best present will be a straighter spine no doubt :-) glad it's all go, phil. now you just need to pack some PJs and slippers

Phil
31st October 2005, 04:31 PM
The nurses will have a fright, I have no PJs ;)

I was meant to be working xmas day too. Feel sorry for the person who has to cover me, or maybe not...

Thanks Mark and Becky

mark
31st October 2005, 04:31 PM
and Becky, your going to need two tanks of fuel to get up as far as Phil is and your right the best present Phils going to get for xmas is a straight spine

Thaleias spirit
31st October 2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Phil@Oct 31 2005, 03:31 PM
I was meant to be working xmas day too. Feel sorry for the person who has to cover me, or maybe not...

Don't feel sorry !! This is going to be your best excuse ever as to why you can't work Christmas Day, so make the most of it!

I'm thrilled it's finally happening for you though!

and I shall see you on the 12th November and I'll quiz you about it all then.

titch
31st October 2005, 07:53 PM
I'm so pleased it's been confirmed! You'll have to let us know what ward you'll be on, and you never know you may get a Sunday visit from the titch&2c brigade ;-)

Phil
31st October 2005, 07:54 PM
Thanks Chele and Titch, i will be sure to let you know where i will be. Would be great to see you both.

zerodegrees
1st November 2005, 07:12 PM
hi phil,

am so glad to hear you have your date! looks like you are next in line!

I must be going mad as I thought I had put a reply on here last night but I am doing everything through a marvellous morphine induced haze at the momet, so not everything that I think I've done can be guaranteed!

Anyway just wanted to say phil that I've just had your surgery mate & it is so worth it! you will be astounded by your new back, truly.

If you want to ask any questions just fire away or you can pm me & I'll let you have my phone no if you want to talk about what it was like. What hospital you going into?

Anyway, be calm mate. Thinking of you.

john

Phil
1st November 2005, 07:39 PM
Thanks John, that offer means alot mate. May take you up on that!
I am going to Hinchingbrooke.

You take care.

Little Ali
1st November 2005, 09:56 PM
Yay! It's great news that you FINALLY have a date! It's scary when you realise it's all going ahead but there's nothing worse than waiting and not knowing! Good luck with all the pre-op appointments and I'll look forward to hearing another success story in time for christmas!

:rox: :niceone: :squeeze:

Abbi
2nd November 2005, 01:28 AM
Excellent news Phil! I am so glad you have a finalised date (you've waited long enough)
Hope ur pre op appt goes well also!

RocketQueen
3rd November 2005, 02:24 AM
John

WOW! Do u still get morphine when ur at home for a bit? :D Hope hope hope! LOL x

I don't think PHil is next in line anymore acutallly. I think it is Satindoll, or StraightXedge!

I can't remember.

So many surgeries, so little brain space. :)

*looks cute and innocent*

BeckyH
3rd November 2005, 11:52 AM
Leia's (satindoll) next up. it depends on the hospital and surgeon which drugs you get to take home. i know titch had morphine after her revision and she was at the same hospital as john, and i think it also tends to be adult patients who've had really serious surgery who take morphine home (not to belittle anyone else's surgery) i know you're an adult emily but in my non-professional opinion it's unlikely you'd need to take morphine home with you. i can't remember what jonny was given but i got dihydrocodeine (try spelling that when you've had a few) and lizzie might have had DHC too (i didn't even take any of mine)

RocketQueen
3rd November 2005, 12:24 PM
Your opinion is valued Marmyte. Though I am a little dissapointed i won't get this "morphine haze" at home, lol, nah just jokes x

zerodegrees
3rd November 2005, 01:18 PM
I am on multiple doeses of morphine which is just marvellous! I am living in a dull haze at the moment and never want to leave it.

Morphine can be a bit scary though as it was the IV morphine after surgery which caused my breathing to stop as I am so sensitive to it.

I will be coming off morphine in a couple of weeks and will probably move onto tremadol (i think thats what they call it)

BeckyH
3rd November 2005, 01:38 PM
yeah, tramadol, that's the other possibility. and co-codamol

RocketQueen
3rd November 2005, 02:46 PM
Isn't co-codemol and over the counter drug? x

Phil
3rd November 2005, 02:59 PM
I will sell any morpine I get.....

jfkimberly
3rd November 2005, 03:28 PM
You're supposed to say that in code so the authorities don't have evidence against you.

Oh, wait... you are the authorities, aren't you?

Phil
3rd November 2005, 03:30 PM
Well, I said i was in prison. Did i mention which side of the bars i was on? lol

I am sure i will need all the meds i get.

BeckyH
3rd November 2005, 04:01 PM
you can get co-codamol over the counter but it's difficult to get without a prescription i think

sally333
3rd November 2005, 06:50 PM
Just would like to say good luck on your surgery.I will be thinking of you that day as I will be at home recovering.

mark
3rd November 2005, 08:14 PM
We will all be thinking of you on the 22nd Sally.

Lizzie89
3rd November 2005, 08:54 PM
yup :-) and becky your right i was on DHC, but i took paracetamol constantly when i 1st got back and i had DHC at night, so i could sleep with out pain- actually i wouldnt mind it back now. :-(

titch
5th November 2005, 05:48 PM
Just to clarify - Co-Codamol can cause confusion because it actually comes in 2 different doses. There's the over the counter dose, which can also be prescribed by a doctor, which is 8mg codeine phosphate & 500mg paracetamol per tablet - this can easily be bought in practically any chemist. Then there's the prescription-only version, which has the same 500mg paracetamol, but has 30mg codeine phosphate. There is a different version of the 30/500 called Tylex, but that is capsule format, and of course is also prescription only.

Thaleias spirit
5th November 2005, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by titch@Nov 5 2005, 04:48 PM
There is a different version of the 30/500 called Tylex, but that is capsule format, and of course is also prescription only.
I was on Tamadol originally, and iniially had no problems with it but ended up unable to take it as it made me physically sick each time I used it then.

Now I use Tylex and they are great, no sickness but lots of pain relief ..
:D ahhhh

tonibunny
5th November 2005, 06:11 PM
Co-codamol 30/500 can also be branded as "Kapake". They are great but their effectiveness diminishes with use - I was on them for five years nonstop and they stopped working for me :(

Joy
6th November 2005, 02:00 AM
I was just on Tylenol 3 (codeine and aceteminophene) and a muscle relaxant when I came home.

Phil, good luck!! keep us posted. Don't worry about geting upset about your date, I had ten months warning before my date and it still felt like a bus hit me....

Phil
6th November 2005, 09:32 AM
Thanks Joy! Can't wait to get in done with now. Just praying i dont catch a cold being its winter and i am a guy with the worst luck ever!

RocketQueen
8th November 2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by marmyte@Nov 3 2005, 03:01 PM
you can get co-codamol over the counter but it's difficult to get without a prescription i think
Lol I just went in and aksed for it from the one round the corner and they obliged- lol. It was a while ago tho

Oh right have just read the rest of the post's. I must have been given the low dose one, prolly why i dint really work. x