PDA

View Full Version : Brace day

Abbie
25th October 2005, 10:56 PM
Im getting my brace in 2 weeks-8th november- and i feel really relaxed about it! im not a teenie bit worried or scared and to tell the truth im looking forward to get it over and done with. all my freinds and family have been so supportive its helped me so much and of course you lot have to!

my appointment is at 1:30 so ill proberbly be worried all day-mum says i have to go to school :(

BeckyH
25th October 2005, 11:01 PM
glad you're not worried about it :-) is it 23/7 you're going to be wearing it?

Abbie
25th October 2005, 11:06 PM
yeah i think so but no one has really told me about the brace e.g what type it is,how often im going to wear it

Abbi
25th October 2005, 11:36 PM
Its great your chilled out about it all Abbie! You have nothing to be worried about! The brace will help! I hope u have a funky design for it!
Hope the fitting goes well! :D

Lizzie89
26th October 2005, 12:38 PM
Ooh good luck, glad you seem so happy about it, expect to be there a while as they have to do all the little alterations while your there. :-D
:squeeze:

sins
7th November 2005, 03:40 PM
Good luck with your appointment Abbie,
Hope the fitting goes well and everyone here will be happy to help you adjust to your brace.
Sins

Thaleias spirit
7th November 2005, 07:40 PM
Best of luck tomorrow Abbie,
Hope it all goes well for you.
Let us know how you get on okay?

Abbie
8th November 2005, 07:10 PM
YAY ive got my brace!lol!

i was soo scared this morning but when i got there i was just really hyper and wasnt nervous at all! i have to brake into wearing it but i feel fine and it doesnt really hurt at all itsa just really tight but im not really bovered!

we named the brace-how sad is that!-its name is STAN short for stanmore!!

gerbo
8th November 2005, 07:24 PM
sorry to ask abbie, you might have put this elsewhere already, but would you mind reminding me how old you are, where you got your curve and how many degrees. Also, do you know what type of brace they gave you and they they do a check x ray after? Do you know what your curve in the brace is?

good to hear that you feel it is manageable for you

stan isn't bad, my daughter calls her just "thing"

gerbo

Abbie
8th November 2005, 07:41 PM
no i dont mind you asking! i am 12, i have adolescent idiopatic scoliosis, my curve is near the bottom of my spine and my curvature is 26 degrees. i dont know what my curve is in the brace but it certainly feels as if its holding me in the right position.

i have a boston brace and i should be putting some pictures on the gallery very soon :-)

can i ask how old your daughter is?

gerbo
8th November 2005, 07:56 PM
hi abbie, Laura is 11, 12 in february. She has a brace which fits completely round her body without any added pressure pads or spaces. assume yours has pressure pads at certain points.

Am i correct then that they didn't make an xray after they fitted you with the brace?

great that it feels holding you in the correct position, that must be a good sign.

Keep us informed how you are getting on, I don't think we have currently any young people with a boston brace, but as you know some of the slightly older members did have one in the past and should be able to advice you if you have any questions

take care

Abbie
8th November 2005, 08:08 PM
thanks

they did not take x-rays of me in the cast and i have pressure points on my brace(thats where i found it ached)

can Laura take off her brace? is it 23 hours a day?

Marti
9th November 2005, 03:25 AM
Abbie-
I'm so glad to hear that the brace is going well! The pressure pads do ache a bit, but I found them reassuring, becuase I knew they were actually helping me. Good luck with breaking in the brace. I hope it continues to be relatively comfortable. The tightness does get better. Be sure to keep us updated!

Abbi
9th November 2005, 05:10 PM
YAY!!!! Its brill u have ur brace now - that will help! Stan is a very funky name btw! :D

gerbo
10th November 2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Abbie@Nov 8 2005, 07:08 PM

can Laura take off her brace? is it 23 hours a day?
she wears it somewhere between 20-23 hours a day, depending on activities, she dances alot, so on those days she'll wear it for about 20 hours, other days up to 23.

Her consultant, rightly or wrongly, didn't seem to bothered either way (I wish he was a bit more bothered)

hope you get through the difficult first few weeks

gerbo

Lizzie89
10th November 2005, 05:51 PM
Good luck with it Abbie - im often on MSN feel free to talk to me :-)

I wished id named my braces would have been better in public
mum: are you taking Stan on holiday
me: i dunno he get in the way
mum: Well you could just wear Stan at night

hmmm maybe not :-? lol

RocketQueen
11th November 2005, 10:44 AM
Hey Abbie, glad u got ur brace now :) What colour/design is it?

When i was breaking in my brace, I found after I got to about 4 hours, I found it so comfy, I just kept it on all the time from then on. :) Pity I was too silly to never go outside though.

Lol anyways I hope u find yours as comfy as I found mine. x

The pressures points will prolly get better when u wear it for longer.

Can't wait for pics hun x

BeckyH
11th November 2005, 11:47 AM
i never thought of naming mine, nice idea :-)

Abbie
11th November 2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by RocketQueen@Nov 11 2005, 09:44 AM
Hey Abbie, glad u got ur brace now :) What colour/design is it?
i got the denim design in the end. what colour did you have?

i went to drama last night and i got so fed up with everyone knocking on my brace. it was so annoying when i was trying to act and i just wanted to shout "WILL YOU PLEASE STOP TOUCHING MY BRACE!" :soapbox:

thanxs everyone!! im getting used to stan now and im finding it really comfy!

i am wearing it to school for the first time on monday and ill be glad to get it over with.....actually im quite nervous-more nervous than i was when i went to get stan!

anyways im having a few problems with the pictures- there too big-but HOPEFULLY they will be on soon :D

grainnewoods
15th November 2005, 01:33 AM
Hi Abbie
God but you's are spoiled nowadays (now i feel like the granny) in my day there where no colours to choose from,but i'll never forget on day my sisters boyfriend was trying to show off (he was 15)and he went to (playfully?) thump my side when he went past me,but it was him that went down in agony and the look of shock/horror on his face was most pleasurable when he hit solid plaster!

cowgirl87
15th November 2005, 04:30 AM
i agree with grainne...i didnt have any choices!! mine was plain ugly white with holes drilled into it...(a boston) and pressure pads. I used to have sooo much fun with it though. as a mischievous 3rd grader, i would walk up to all the boys and say "smack me as hard as you can" ...HAHAHA the only problem came when i was not wearing it so much, my bro walked up to me and SMACKED me REALLY hard in the stomach. Had to stop that game (bummer) a word of advice..WEAR IT AS MUCH AS U HAVE TO...when i started to *ahem* not wear it as much as my doc said :twak: it didnt fit so well....your body keeps to its shape.( kinda nice..always have rock hard abs!!) i was in one for 8 years, so if u have any questions, just PM me!

Abbie
15th November 2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by cowgirl87@Nov 15 2005, 03:30 AM
i i would walk up to all the boys and say "smack me as hard as you can" ...HAHAHA
yeah i found that today! lol! it is VERY fun! i wore it to school for the first time yesterday and today i managed to wear it for the whole school day without it hurting!!

sins
15th November 2005, 05:58 PM
Well done Abbie, you're doing really well.When do you go back for your next check up?
Sins

Abbi
15th November 2005, 06:44 PM
YAY! brilliant Abbie! :niceone: well done!

lol - getting people to hit u sounds fun, they'd end up with severely bruised knuckles if they did haha! :P

gerbo
16th November 2005, 09:55 AM
are you managing to sleep with it already Abbie??

Abbie
16th November 2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by sins@Nov 15 2005, 04:58 PM
When do you go back for your next check up?

i go back to stanmore on the 13th of december.

i have not tried to sleep in my brace yet but i think im going to try sometime at the weekend-maybe friday

gerbo
16th November 2005, 09:37 PM
what helped Laura a lot was putting a foublefolded continental quilt on top of the matrass, made it all so much softer and comfortable

cowgirl87
30th January 2006, 03:49 AM
grainnewoods: I didnt have any designs either! it would have made it much more fun. I just got out of mine 3 years ago! and, btw, i would walk up to all the boys in choir and try to make them punch me( i had a boston too) lol!! it was soo funny... :lol: