PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Andy

mark
23rd October 2005, 12:43 AM
Hello and :welcome2: Andy

I'm glad you found us andy, you should find a few more of us Kyphotic people around to chat with. Youve already met a few us on msn and i'm sure you will meet a lot more as we are a really friendly bunch.

If you have any questions then ask away there is always someone on the site who will have the answer

Once again :welcome:

Take care
Mark

tonibunny
23rd October 2005, 12:47 AM
Hi Andy :-) Please do tell us about yourself! We have quite a few members with kyphosis now so you'll be in good company :D

:welcome2:

Toni xxx

Jonny
23rd October 2005, 12:48 AM
Welcome to SSO Andy :wave:

I've met you briefly on MSN but I'm 17 from Bedford, UK and had surgery for kyphoscoliosis last July.

:welcome2:

Jonny

andy_d
23rd October 2005, 01:03 AM
Hi

Thank you for your welcome messages...

My names Andrew, as you probably guessed :hammer:

I'm 19, from Derbyshire in the UK...

I have got a 92 degree Scheuermann's Kyphosis...

I am a musical person, I can play guitar, bass, drums, keyboard, and harmonica

My main instrument is the guitar, which I am playing most of the time :-)

Claim to fame is :- I've played at Disneyland Resort Paris :niceone:
Although, unfortunately it hasnít made me famous yet :joke:

I hope to pursue some form of career in music, or at least become a semi-pro or something....

You will probably soon come to realise that I am a bit of a nutter and a joker, I don't let anything bother me, not even spinal operations, the way I see it is - It's a good excuse for a chat up line.... Picture the scene - in a bar, nice girl - etc - rather than just say the boring "can i buy you a drink" - I will be able to say "Wanna see my Scar!"

Anyway
Enough from me for now :-)

Cheers
Andrew

Just an add on :- I should have had my surgery on the 5th of October, but unfortunately I was ill, I had a chest infection....So the surgery had to be postoned, and I shall hopefully have a new daye soon...

BeckyH
23rd October 2005, 10:05 AM
sorry to hear your surgery was postponed - we met briefly on MSN the other day, i'm becky and you can read all about me in my signature :D welcome to the site and feel free to ask any questions

RocketQueen
23rd October 2005, 10:08 AM
Hey Andy.

I had a nice chitter chatter with u on msn too. :), I admire your attitude towards surgery. It's the best way really. Welcome, I was hoping you would be joining us. :) You can read about my scoli status in my siggy too. x

Phil
23rd October 2005, 10:47 AM
Hi Andy

Phil from Norfolk aged 21. Awaiting Kyphosis surgery at present. Been waiting for 10 months. Glad you have found the site and hope you get lots of support.

Impressed by all these Kyphosis buds coming along now a days.

Gadget
23rd October 2005, 10:56 AM
Hello nice to meet you. This is a great place where most people although a little nuts are fantastic people. I mean most people are nuts and everyone is fantastic lol.
Gadget xx

Lizzie89
23rd October 2005, 11:42 AM
:welcome: sorry you surgery was post-poned, hopr you get a new date soon, glad your in good spirits :-)

Feel free to PM or add me or whatever :-)

sins
23rd October 2005, 12:42 PM
Hi Andy and welcome!
Having spoken with you on Msn, I've no doubts at all,you'll fit right in with the rest of the zany sso'ers!
Hope you get a date soon for your surgery.
Sins

Amazed Jean
23rd October 2005, 02:12 PM
Hello Andy and Welcome !!!

Abbi
23rd October 2005, 03:49 PM
Hello Andy! :welcome2: I think I briefly met you on MSN, although I was being awfully anti-social at the time! (which can happen a lot with me) well....just as a formal introduction, my name is Abbi, I am 19 from Northern Ireland! I was diagnosed with scoliosis about a year and a half ago, and I had surgery 8weeks ago!

Originally posted by andy_d@Oct 23 2005, 12:03 AM
I am a musical person, I can play guitar, bass, drums, keyboard, and harmonica

My main instrument is the guitar, which I am playing most of the time :-)

oooh....you play the guitar! I am learning at the min. (it passes the time) and is quite fun, although I suck at it....but I am hoping to get lessons soon!!!

You will probably soon come to realise that I am a bit of a nutter and a joker, I don't let anything bother me, not even spinal operations, the way I see it is - It's a good excuse for a chat up line.... Picture the scene - in a bar, nice girl - etc - rather than just say the boring "can i buy you a drink" - I will be able to say "Wanna see my Scar!"

You do seem to be quite the comedian actually, which is great, your in the right place - SSO is full of nutters! :hammer:

Anyways, I hope you get a date soon for your surgery, I am sorry it got cancelled!
what hospital will you be having it at?

Abbi :-)

Little Ali
23rd October 2005, 04:00 PM
:welcome2: Hi Andy!

You sound like a great guy and I think you'll fit in really well here!

My name's Ali, I'm 24 and have Spina Bifida and Kyphoscoliosis. I had a lumbar fusion when I was 12 and I'm now trying to combat the pain with co-codamol as my surgeon doesn't want to operate.

I'm glad you're in such good spirits about your surgery! Keep smiling! :-D
Add me to MSN if you like: sparklygreendragon@hotmail.com

Take care!

mark
25th October 2005, 03:47 PM
Do you do guitar lessons Andy :-) , i've had mine a year now and i have'nt had the motivation to pick it up. By the way i'm left handed :rox: does that make it any more difficult to play. I know it was more expensive for a left handed guitar

left handed people :rox:

Maggie
25th October 2005, 05:13 PM
From one newbie to another welcome! This site is wonderful and I hope you stick around for a little while at least.

Abbie
25th October 2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by mark@Oct 25 2005, 02:47 PM
left handed people :rox:

so true!! :rox:

hi andy and welcome to sso! im abbie,12, and i was diagnosed with scoliosis in the summer.

andy_d
25th October 2005, 10:06 PM
Thought you may be interested to see a picture of my 92 degree curvature....

CLICK ME (http://www.richarddickson.co.uk/andy/andrewback.jpg)

BeckyH
25th October 2005, 10:07 PM
mark it should be the same - but the guitar looks like it's been flipped in a mirror, if that makes sense. unless you've bought a right handed one and it needs re-stringing (but that's not too hard i don't think)

sins
25th October 2005, 10:13 PM
That's a pretty good pic Andy,thanks for sharing! Have you seen the other's in the Gallery. I''d be very confident that the surgery will do a wonderful job cosmetically.
Sins

Jonny
25th October 2005, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Abbie+Oct 25 2005, 10:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Abbie @ Oct 25 2005, 10:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mark@Oct 25 2005, 02:47 PM
left handed people* :rox:

so true!! :rox: [/b][/quote]
Lefties will conquer...

Andy, you seem to have a similar sort of build to me, and a similar (although more severe) kyphotic shape to me before my revision surgery:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/jona...hosisbefore.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/jonajsil/kyphosisbefore.jpg)

Mine wasn't technically Scheuermann's kyphosis, but you can see that I got a great correction just by extending my fusion a couple of vertebrae:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/jona...phosisafter.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/jonajsil/kyphosisafter.jpg)

Abbi
26th October 2005, 12:11 AM
Great pic Andy! I hope you get a surgery date soon....cos as others have said, it'll look good after! :D

Maggie
27th October 2005, 01:36 AM
Good pic! I'm very interested in seeing all these curves maybe I'll post some pics of mine. Anyway I really hope you get a date soon I know how bad the waiting is my mums going to phone the hospital tomorrow to see if we can get a estimated date for my surgery.

RocketQueen
27th October 2005, 01:44 AM
What does Scheuermanns mean?

andy_d
27th October 2005, 01:55 AM
Website 1 (http://www.spine-health.com/topics/cd/scheuermanns/scheu01.html)

Website 2 (http://www.spineuniversity.com/public/spinesub.asp?id=48)

andy_d
27th October 2005, 02:47 AM
I think it's gonna be cool when I've had my op and I first stand up etc - Suddenly being taller .... :joke: I'm already 6ft 3...

Of course, the best thing will be the pain relief... Because at the moment i'm in extreme pain :cry: :nut:

Jonny
27th October 2005, 02:50 AM
That's definitely the best attitude and it's what got me through my surgery!

BeckyH
27th October 2005, 09:50 AM
6'3" already!!! wow you're going to be a giant :D sadly my surgery didn't make me much taller, but my scoliosis wasn't *that* bad. it is great to get an end to the pain. a couple of weeks after surgery i suddenly realised that my ribs, hip and shoulderblade didn't hurt anymore but instead i was just aching from the surgery, and that's a wonderful feeling

floralgypsy
27th October 2005, 01:48 PM
Wow, you could be Jonny's big brother :)

Lizzie89
27th October 2005, 02:23 PM
Woah! Andy 6ft3, i was 5 ft before my surgery and i grew 2 inches! woohoo, but im still only ickle. Sounds like your in the right frame of mind though :-)

mark
27th October 2005, 07:17 PM
yikes 6 3 Andy you can be the SSo bouncer :hammer:

andy_d
28th October 2005, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by mark@Oct 27 2005, 06:17 PM
yikes 6 3 Andy you can be the SSo bouncer :hammer:
Look what i've changed my custom title to now :D

Abbi
28th October 2005, 12:09 AM
:niceone:

mark