PDA

View Full Version : Scoliosis and your job

Phil
19th October 2005, 08:25 PM
As most of you are aware I am a Prison officer and love my job. Today I have been offered a job as a police officer. I will not take the position as my surgery is coming up and i am happy at present however; I mentioned to them i am having back surgery. They instant replied "You would therefore not be able to enter and we withdraw our application" I of course ask for them to explain further. "We are aware of your back condition however any form of treatment will automatically disqualify you from entry."

I am not fussed however it did annoy me bit. Was surprised that they outright deny entry to those who have received treatment for back issues.

Fused or unfused, at peak physical fitness do you feel you could not take such a job on? Does your back effect your work now?

Again, I am now concerned at my medical after surgery i face with the prison. I should be less curios.

BeckyH
19th October 2005, 08:30 PM
i think that's a bit harsh that they outright ignore you if you have back issues. surely if a person felt confident in making an application that you know your own limitations and wouldn't apply for such responsibility if you couldn't handle it? hmm. so the police force wouldn't consider someone like me or many others on here who have had surgery in our teens? bizarre.

i can't really answer your question - i'm still not far along in my journey. i know that at the moment i couldn't do a full time job or one which involves standing all day (plus i'm still not allowed to do heavy lifting) but i don't know how i'll be in the future. i can't see myself feeling restricted and hopefully i'll stay healthy for some time to come.

Phil
19th October 2005, 08:33 PM
Pretty much as i though Becky. I find it discriminating. At our age we should be better of with surgery in theory.

BeckyH
19th October 2005, 08:37 PM
i was going to say - isn't it some kind of employment discrimination, but then thought i might have been getting a bit carried away. the police force makes me laugh anyways - it took them ages to realise they were lacking asians because of the height restriction for goodness sake

mark
19th October 2005, 08:45 PM
No my back does'nt affect my job, i am in and out the car and my feet a lot, i spend a bit of the time in the office and if i'm sat at my desk all day then i do sometimes suffer a bit of ache and pain.

The only way it has affected is the odd ignorent comment in the office from time to time

Sorry to hear the way you have beent treated. They must have there reasons, however they could have handled it more diplomaticaly

Abbi
19th October 2005, 09:17 PM
Becky u are right it is discrimination *thinks of acts* Its a breech of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (I think it is 1995) and it is also a breech of another one....the employement act of some kind (will look it up)

but that is disgraceful phil....just cos u have a back problem and need treatment it doesnt mean that u can't work for them! But I am thinking maybe they meant that they withdraw there application cos you won't be fit to work for them for three months after surgery, therefore it would be better to employ another person. I dunno!
But that totally sucks!!!

BeckyH
19th October 2005, 09:21 PM
eep, the DDA was only updated this year. i remember because we had a load of stuff about it at work. :rant:

rosie
19th October 2005, 09:29 PM
hmm, went on policecouldyou website, and it said that they welcome people with disabilities. hence, perhaps it was because of the recovery time and that you would be out of action for a few months, not that you would be unsuitable after you've recovered. if that makes sense. but i dont know.
xxx

Amazed Jean
19th October 2005, 09:35 PM
Phil, Sorry you were treated so shabby. I would be furious BUT since we own a small business I kindof know why they backed away from you. I wouldn't hire anyone for our shop positions or parts area work if they had any back issues at all. We have been burnt by hiring a temporary worker (Less than I day) and he left because he said he had to pick up his wife. We of course let him go and paid him cash for the work - he immediately went to shyster lawyer and doctor combo and said he had injured his back lifting a piece of junk he was moving. They called workmens comp and the rest is history. I think he had two sureries and the fund ended up paying him something the other side of $25,000.00. Never mind he lied, never mind they didn't consult us first. Now if anyone even looks like they might be less than very healthy and enthusiastic about working we won't hire them just to protect ourselves in the long run.

sins
19th October 2005, 10:10 PM
They won't win any gold medals for tact !
I checked up the home office requirements for you.(Not bad for an Irish lass)...... http://www.knowledgenetwork.gov.uk/HO/circ...54?OpenDocument (http://www.knowledgenetwork.gov.uk/HO/circular.nsf/79755433dd36a66980256d4f004d1514/8668688405c06d5180256f0a00376e54?OpenDocument)
Basically they're well covered! Naturally,they're not discriminating against you because of your scoliosis, but I presume they feel you'd be a high risk for early retirement on grounds of ill health or at a higher risk for occupational injury.
As for your prison service job,if you're permanent and pensionable, don't think there's a lot they can do to you.
Sins

BarmyArmy
19th October 2005, 10:25 PM
I've never had surgery but I know I've lost out on plenty of job's because of my back. I have difficulty in sitting or standing for very long periods of time and only work part time due to my type of pain.

After I finished college I was constantly applying for graphic design jobs. If there was a medical section on the application from that mentioned back problems I knew my form would go straight in the bin. Sometimes when I did get an interview and I discussed my condition I could see a change in the interviewer. They never said I didn't get the job because of my back as that would be breaking the law but I always got the same excuses and basic thanks but no thanks letters. I had this for 2 years. Yes, there must have been times when more experienced people were better than me but there were times when I just got a funny feeling from the interview.

I gave the bookshop a go because it was a part time christmas temp job for 12 weeks, I didn't know if I could do but I was interested in the store and thought I'd try. I never told my manager about my back condition. There was no medical questions on the application form and I was never asked any medical questions in the interview. I loved the job and the part time hours gave me time to rest up if I wasn't feeling too good. I told my manager about my scoloisis after my 12 weeks were up as I was getting a proper contract and I didn't want to have any secrets. He understood my reasons for not telling him and told me honestly that if I had he probably wouldn't have given me the job. As he wouldn't have took the risk. I've been with him for 6 years now and he's said many times that he's glad that I work there. But that's the point sometimes employers see people as risks not what they can do. I'm kinda rambling here, sorry. :ph34r:

jfkimberly
20th October 2005, 09:37 AM
I think my treatment was pretty radical, and my resulting shape somewhat questionable. But if not for my lung capacity reduction, I don't see why I wouldn't be able to manage the job. I'm small, though... there might be a size requirement. But if I'm tall enough and strong enough and have the endurance to run down a fleeing suspect, then I don't see why fusion should automatically disqualify me.

After I finished college I was constantly applying for graphic design jobs. If there was a medical section on the application from that mentioned back problems I knew my form would go straight in the bin. Sometimes when I did get an interview and I discussed my condition I could see a change in the interviewer. They never said I didn't get the job because of my back as that would be breaking the law but I always got the same excuses and basic thanks but no thanks letters. I had this for 2 years. Yes, there must have been times when more experienced people were better than me but there were times when I just got a funny feeling from the interview.
I went through exactly the same thing during and after law school. I sent my resume off to dozens of firms. I got many calls from eager interviewers, and was actually told several times over the phone that my resume was very impressive... I got the feeling that the interview should have been a mere formality in some cases. But when I showed up for the interviews and they got a good look at me, the warm reception turned lukewarm. Like you, I never got told I wasn't being selected because of my shape, but I could tell. You know what I mean. It's a change in the atmosphere of the room.

RocketQueen
20th October 2005, 04:48 PM
I know that most ppl don't notice that I have scoli, but I am so scareed that after my surgery when I finally get round to getting an equine related job *hopefully* I will be turned down, due to haveing a fused spine. As you guys prolly know, even if you don't know much about horses. They are very big strong animals with a mind of thier own, and need someone with a great deal of strenght occasionally, and the job usually requires alot of heavy lifting too.

Phil
20th October 2005, 10:53 PM
Legally they are not effected under the discrimination act 1978. They are totally covered. It was more about the lack of tact, narrow mindedness and how any back complaint requiring surgery would stop you joining.

I was in the mood for picking a fight, hence why i challenged them.

Abbi
20th October 2005, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by marmyte@Oct 19 2005, 07:21 PM
eep, the DDA was only updated this year. i remember because we had a load of stuff about it at work. :rant:
oh ok....well I learnt about it last year or the year before and I think it was 1995....either that or I didnt listen too well in class! :P

mark
20th October 2005, 11:39 PM
You pick a fight phil your well within your rights to give em hell

Rowena
21st October 2005, 03:32 PM
I work as a carer for the Cerebral Palsy Association in my state. In the medical part of the application, I had to put the fact I had rods in my back (from T2 to T11, with 60 degree curves fused at 60) .........but, the only difference in the rest of the application process (compared to anyone else's) was that I had to go for a complete Physiotherapy assessment in addition to my medical assessment.

I passed the physio assessment fine, I did no worse (and for a lot of it better) then the average person. So there was no reason they couldn't discount me on medical grounds...............I passed all the assessments that they required. And in my job I'm basically manual handling all day......lifting clients, toileting, showering, dressing etc

I'm also a student Registered Nurse......before I could start being a student RN, i had to go for a medical for that as well........and that was found that I was fit, healthy and no reason why I shouldn't become a RN

Row

scoligirl
22nd October 2005, 11:27 PM
1) I'm confused. Why do you have to tell to employers about your back if it doesn't affect your daily life? I mean if you have had an op then yeah they need to know, do they? but if not you dont have to say do you?

2) The police have to have people in peak phyical condition right?, as it is a dangerous job! I watch the Bill!!! So they probably have to know about your medical history (even so they should have done their research before actually offering you the job then going back on their word)

3) Dunno why i'm using numbers

mark
22nd October 2005, 11:36 PM
Phil's just waiting for his op date to come through so he had to tell them as it would have probably been in the middle of his training.

Phil
23rd October 2005, 12:45 AM
My back is a medical condition. Working for an employer where my condition could effect the lives and safety of my colleagues is very important. Hence why i must inform them of the situation regarding my back, regardless of if it effects me daily.

Thanks for comments all, i am not hung up about the situation. Just annoyed me at the time.

nuttynatalie
23rd October 2005, 03:07 PM
I agree, its discriminating, i have just posted a similar new thread about me and a situation that happened last week. Sorry to hear that phil, but why do we really need to tell people about our back history, although i filled out an application form for waitrose the other day and i didnt mention my back but then there's my nut allergy and i guess i have to mention that because its so severe but still no one will employ me i have tried at clinton cards about 3 times, but i never got in and thinking about all that and then my mum saying she walked around waitrose looking at how there are so many nut products around she didn't think that would work either, so i haven't given in the application yet.

Phil
23rd October 2005, 10:14 PM
Natalie, never give up friend. Give that application in. If you ever need help with applications just catch me on msn and i would be happy to help. If i can offer any help i will. It's sad if you are being discriminated from any job.

Thaleias spirit
23rd October 2005, 10:17 PM
Natalie,

I know its frustrating and you want a part-time job etc .. but working in a supermarket when you have a severe nut allergy might not be a good idea at all. never mind the products, the amount of people through its doors per day, you cant forsee who would have been eating nuts.

mark
24th October 2005, 01:35 PM
Keep plugging away Natalie theres bound to be a job out there with your name on it