PDA

View Full Version : Brace problems

thesatindoll
19th October 2005, 07:07 PM
I've been getting burning pains at the the top of my thigh, and sometimes the skin goes numb there. My mum, who's a nurse, says that the brace may be prssing down on a nerve or something...does anyone have a problemlike it/advice?

BeckyH
19th October 2005, 07:13 PM
i think your mum is right. after surgery i got a burning pain in my left thigh (which has since turned into a numb patch, but don't panic, i'm explaining!) and that's because when i had anterior surgery, my surgeon damaged a nerve which runs from abdomen to thigh or something like that...jonny, who has the same surgeon as me, had the exact same sensation - our surgeon likes damaging that particular nerve :D

i think as long as you have sensation all the way down your leg and it isn't affecting your day to day life hugely then you should be ok, but if your brace is pressing in the wrong place (as in you didn't have this pain before and it's due to your brace) then perhaps you have grown out of it an need a new one? but you're having surgery imminently so i'm not sure what to suggest.

basically - i agree with your mum :-)

Jonny
19th October 2005, 07:15 PM
I think I had a little thigh numbness with my TLSO... it's nothing serious. Of course it's something to bring up with your orthotist when you see them if you're worried :-)

Jonny
19th October 2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by marmyte@Oct 19 2005, 06:13 PM
my surgeon damaged a nerve which runs from abdomen to thigh or something like that...jonny, who has the same surgeon as me, had the exact same sensation - our surgeon likes damaging that particular nerve :D
Don't forget Toni :D three of us with numbness in the same place. Mine's just started to go after 15 months.

I think it's something to do with the femoral nerve. It runs down the front of the spine through the psoas muscle down to the thigh, and anterior scoliosis surgery involves a bit of messing with the psoas, so a bit of the femoral nerve can go funny. Nothing really to worry about, just odd :-)

BeckyH
19th October 2005, 08:16 PM
i knew there was a name for it and i couldn't remember it :D yeah mine's still fully numb which is unsurprising. i think my stomach is getting a bit less numb but my scar still itches sometimes which is annoying. meh nerve damage or wonky spine - i know which i'd pick ;-)