PDA

View Full Version : Brace fit

RosieRich
17th October 2005, 11:29 PM
Can anyone give me some tips for what to look out for when a brace is getting too small. Megan has had hers for nearly 4 months now and we had an adjustment appointment at the beginning of September, where it was trimmed and checked. The last week or so she has been complaining that it is uncomfortable and it isn't sitting quite right. She can also make her hip click against the side of the brace. Up until now we've not had any issues with it being uncomfortable (relatively!) so are a bit concerned that she is now.
The orthotist isn't expecting her back until Dec/Jan. :help:

Vicki
18th October 2005, 12:23 PM
From what I can remember I always started getting hip pain when the brace was getting too small (though I haven't been in one for about 10 years now so my memory is a little sketchy). It would start to feel... wrong, as the hip part of the brace wouldn't sit in the correct place on me, and often I found I couldn't get it done up as tightly as I used to be able to.

I don't know where you get yours done, but at Stanmore they were always very accomodating with me and others whom I met in hospital, even if it was just to have a bit of the brace cut out, or the padding changed, in order to make it last a little longer until the next fitting.

Lizzie89
18th October 2005, 04:42 PM
It sounds like the brace is getting a little small RosieRich, mine would get too small and be harder to get on and would hurt my shoulder blade and my hips. If you ring your orthotist they'll get you an appt in about a week i would think. Dec/Jan is a long time to wait in pain.

Jonny
19th October 2005, 12:35 AM
I'd agree with with Lizzie and Vicki said, although even if it's the slightest bit too small it can become incredibly uncomfortable without any loss of function.

I went down to Stanmore Orthotics on a whim a couple of years ago (I was on site for a checkup), and went to the reception desk and pointed to a bit of my brace that was uncomfortable. (The padding was all falling off round the top, and the hip pads were too far forwards because I think my hips widened.) The woman took it away, we came back an hour later and one of the technicians had replaced and moved all the padding. They're wonderful there and won't let you stay uncomfortable :-)

Otherwise, December isn't that long to wait (although it might feel like it) and if you hold on till then, Megan should be comfy again :squeeze:

sins
19th October 2005, 11:17 PM
http://www.qmc.nhs.uk/divisions/surgery/or...oli%20brace.doc (http://www.qmc.nhs.uk/divisions/surgery/orthotics/Documents/Scoli%20brace.doc)

Found this on the QMC websiite, thought it was pertinent

Crazy16girl
26th October 2005, 08:02 AM
Its not nice bless her when it rubs against your hip and it clicks, i swear thats why my hip always feels bruised, even 2 years on! ut what they did for me because it got really bad, they melted the brace so it wasnt touching where it was hurting.

RosieRich
26th October 2005, 09:53 PM
Thanks everyone. I've phoned the orthotist but they can't fit her in until the end of November. Hopefully they'll get a cancellation. Reading your comments I think it could be getting too small or she has changed shape slightly and as it is a made to measure brace it's not sitting in the same place. My worry is that if the pressure points aren't in the right place the brace won't be doing it's job, although I gather that a very small change could make it very uncomfortable.
What happened to the days of just shoes and clothes getting too small!

Jonny
26th October 2005, 11:40 PM
If you're on site with Megan, go to the Orthotics department because the technicians may be able to do a quick fix-up job on it without an appointment, just until your next appointment.

RosieRich
4th November 2005, 11:52 PM
Just an up-date. We managed to get an earlier appointment and they have melted the bit that was pressing on the hip and re-lined the whole brace. The orthotist thinks it's good for another 4 months! We had the leave the brace overnight to be re-lined so Megan got a whole 24hours brace free. It didn't make it easy having to get back into it though. Hopefully she won't have a huge growth spurt before Feb. :-?

sins
5th November 2005, 12:38 PM
Good to hear that the problem is fixed, at least for the moment.
Braces are hard enough to wear without being in that much discomfort.
It makes brace compliance so much easier.I'm sure she'll be fine until February.Give her our best wishes.
Sins