PDA

View Full Version : Time for surgery my friends!

zerodegrees
14th October 2005, 10:22 AM
:spin:

The time has arrived my friends, I'm getting ready to go down to Nottingham for surgery. I go in on Monday 17th & the fun starts at 0630 on Tuesday 18th!

I probably wont be around the website much over the weekend as we have to catch up with a zillion things plus decant our life to Nottingham for the next few weeks, so thought I'd take this chance to say thank you to you all as I'll be kicking around today.

I was brought to SSO a couple of months ago on the day I got "my date" (freaky?) & I take my hat off to all of you my friends, you have been true "rocks" for me, answering all my questions & helping me through my hysterical moments (of which there have been many!) You've all played your part along with my partner & friends by increasing my "bravery levels" enough to go through with it!

You can all heave a sigh of relief on tuesday once the op is over! A holiday for you all is definetely prescribed!

I'm still quite anxious but excited at the same time & thats good enough for me! The prospect of getting these curves ironed out is just fantastic!

Marmyte & titch will keep you all updated in my absence. Can't wait to get back & fill you in with all the gory details & impress you with my scar!

Take care all of you.

Love john x

ps I've heard that chest drains are the latest thing & no night out is complete without one!

DublinPauline
14th October 2005, 10:38 AM
Best of luck John, looking forward to seeing your impressive scars!
I hope it goes really smoothly for you.

BeckyH
14th October 2005, 11:36 AM
when i went into hospital, toni joked that i should ask for a fendi catheter bag :D and i asked my physio if she could get me a corset from rigby and peller instead of a hospital one. she didn't find it funny but i did (might have been the morphine)

i'll look forward to seeing you on thursday in your ted baker jeans, and i'll bring a copy of heat so we can tut at how thin victoria beckham/nicole richie/teri hatcher are

DublinPauline
14th October 2005, 11:41 AM
By the way, do you live in Glasgow, John?
We're heading there (via Larne and Stranraer) in three weeks time. My sister and her family only moved there in April (from Bournemouth) so any tips on good restaurants, etc would be great.

RocketQueen
14th October 2005, 11:54 AM
Wow John! What a great feeling :). Helping you out has been an absoloute pleasure, I am sure a few of us on the baord are just as excitied about ur surgery as you are.

:rox: BEST OF LUCK AND HUGS TO JOHN AND DES :squeeze:

X

BarmyArmy
14th October 2005, 12:00 PM
Good luck John, we'll all be thinking of you :squeeze:

Lizzie89
14th October 2005, 12:20 PM
Good luck john, ill pray for you... all the best :squeeze: (ill let you in on a lil secret-This is the scary part :niceone: )

claire
14th October 2005, 12:22 PM
All the best.

I be thinking about you.

Claire x

tonibunny
14th October 2005, 12:25 PM
Good luck John!!! We'll all be thinking of you. Can't wait to see you back here :D

Abbi
14th October 2005, 01:04 PM
Wow, the time is here already? But don't worry, you'll soon be at the other side of it....and think "what was all the fuss about" lol
can I just say, what is the craic with the early surgery time - 6.30am - come on, that is just insane!! Oh! You gotta still beat the record attempt for longest surgery, which is 10hours! haha :D

Good luck John! I am sure it'll go just great! Can't wait to see your groovy "battle scars" - i'll be praying for ya!

Abbi x

Abbi
14th October 2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Pauline@Oct 14 2005, 09:41 AM
By the way, do you live in Glasgow, John?
We're heading there (via Larne and Stranraer) in three weeks time. My sister and her family only moved there in April (from Bournemouth) so any tips on good restaurants, etc would be great.
oooh....ur headn up North Pauline! class!!! :D Have fun while your hear.....lol, which won't be long....its a pity your not coming up further north - the north coast is the best part of N.Ireland! :D

BeckyH
14th October 2005, 01:08 PM
it's common for surgery to start that early i think abbi - it means you don't have to be nil by mouth for so long when you wake up :D surgery was supposed to start at 6am when i had it but was delayed by an hour. i have to say i'd have given a lot to be in theatre by 8:30 though because i didn't get down there until 1pm :cry:

Lizzie89
14th October 2005, 01:11 PM
Mine was supposed to be at 8 but i went down at about 10:30 or something, actually was asleep by about 1:30-12 because of the anesthetic saga. So dont panic if your a little late john.
All the best
x

mark
14th October 2005, 01:43 PM
Good luck i will be thinking of you. I am sure everything's going to be ok and you'll have plenty of visitors to keep you from getting bored

Take care

Mark

Sootyca
14th October 2005, 02:46 PM
Good luck. Hope it all goes smoothly.

Karen
x

Liv
14th October 2005, 02:47 PM
You luck, John! I'm sure everything will be fine! Just trust your doctors and think positive! :niceone:

titch
14th October 2005, 02:52 PM
Mine was supposed to start at 7.30 i think? It was nearer 9 when it finally did though, because the most important person (other than me :P) was running a wee bit late. I was in a lot of pain before the surgery, and taking a lot of painkillers, but they offered me something stronger than I was used to taking the night before the surgery. I said yes please, thinking it would help me sleep, and it certainly did - they actually woke me up when they came to apologise for the delay :lol:

As to designer goods, heck, I'd have just settled for a better pair of paper pants! At QMC, they get you up and send you off for a shower, armed with a gown and a pair of one-size-fits-none paper pants - ghastly things!

Abbi
14th October 2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by titch@Oct 14 2005, 12:52 PM
because the most important person (other than me :P) was running a wee bit late.

ooooh....this is soooo exciting!!!! you said WEE!!!! woo hoo....have I actually converted you all to the brilliant N.Ireland slang!!! wee is such a n.ireland slag word....we say it all the time like "would you like a wee cup of tea" :D ha!!! lol
I think the scottish may also say wee (Leona??)

As to designer goods, heck, I'd have just settled for a better pair of paper pants! At QMC, they get you up and send you off for a shower, armed with a gown and a pair of one-size-fits-none paper pants - ghastly things!

I didn't have to wear paper pants, thankfully - they let me wear my own to theatre....but I did have to wear an awful gown....ooh, it was like see thru....I just lay there on the bed, and pulled the blanket up round me! lol

BeckyH
14th October 2005, 04:25 PM
ew abbi what did they do with your underwear then??? i had the paper variety and i think i remember them being removed in HDU and me saying "thank you" to whichever nurse did it...i have NO shame since being in hospital :D

RocketQueen
14th October 2005, 04:28 PM
OH no, dont think I could handle ahving my underwear removed by a complete stranger.

BeckyH
14th October 2005, 04:30 PM
you'll have complete strangers doing a lot of things and you won't care because there's no other way

Abbi
14th October 2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by marmyte@Oct 14 2005, 02:25 PM
ew abbi what did they do with your underwear then??? i had the paper variety and i think i remember them being removed in HDU and me saying "thank you" to whichever nurse did it...i have NO shame since being in hospital :D
I am not 100% sure becky.....but I know I have them back at home....cos I found them the other day! lol! They must have taken them off and put them in a sanitary type back along with my other dirty clothes. My mum had to regulary take home clothes to be washed....like PJs and socks and stuff....

Emily - yeah, you totally lose all ur pride and modesty in hospital!

Jonny
14th October 2005, 06:07 PM
Stanmore policy: The morning before surgery, you get up, have a shower and change into a lovely yellow gown and paper knickers.

When you arrive at intensive care, they take a pair of scissors and cut the paper knickers off before they catheterise you :-?

RocketQueen
14th October 2005, 06:27 PM
OH my god!!!! :-o

Jonny
14th October 2005, 06:29 PM
Um, everyone's fine, you don't really care at the time - you just want to sleep :-) Generally they try and preserve your modesty as far as possible, and where they can't, you won't mind anyway.

Marti
14th October 2005, 06:42 PM
well said, Jonny. I HATE hospital gowns. But i didn't care that I was wearing one. You're on so much morphine that it really doesn't matter.

Good luck John!

Liv
14th October 2005, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Jonny@Oct 14 2005, 05:07 PM
When you arrive at intensive care, they take a pair of scissors and cut the paper knickers off before they catheterise you :-?
I don't understand why they couldn't put the catheter in while you were still asleep! :nut:

Jonny
14th October 2005, 06:47 PM
It's a weird Stanmore thing. The second time round, I asked them to do it when I was still under but they refused, in case I could have used a bottle and wouldn't have needed it. "There's a chance you won't need it so we like to avoid catheterising until we know we have to."

Something about the anaesthetic, though, stops the sphincter at the outlet of the bladder from relaxing, and generally you can't use a bottle. Nothing much happens.

Abbi
14th October 2005, 07:08 PM
I had mine in when I woke up! :D so pleased I didnt have to have it put in will I was awake - it was weird enuf having it taken out!

My gown was a lovely translucent blue one! it was oversized....which was good in a way, cos I could wrap it round myself more at the back!

Jules
14th October 2005, 07:47 PM
Good Luck, everything will be ok and it'll all be over before you know it and you'll be back to normal! :niceone: I'll be thinking and praying for you.

When I had my surgery, I had to wear a surgical gown thing which was white but I could wear my own underwear. I remember going from my bed onto a metal like flat trolley and before I did that I had to take off my underwear and keep it on my bed, I'm not sure what happened to it after that but I did still have them afterwards! :D

rosie
14th October 2005, 08:02 PM
good luck! we will all be thinking about you next week... i wish you all the best!!! :squeeze: stay positive and keep smiling. :D

stanmore people... OH MY GOD! they put the catheter in when you were awake?! :woe:

all i remember about the morning of my surgery is waking up, getting on that white gown (and apparently taking a very long time to do so) and the guy who was taking me to surgery was like "are you ready? is that your final answer? you can call a friend, 50:50, ask the audience?"
he made me laugh. they do try and relax you :D

good luck again!

xxxx

BeckyH
14th October 2005, 08:24 PM
they complained at me for taking ages with getting changed too - they've obviously never tried to put stockings on after taking a premed :D honestly, the catheter issue really didn't bother me, i just wanted to sleep and take more morphine and not throw up

Thaleias spirit
14th October 2005, 11:19 PM
John,

Best of luck next week with the surgery!
I'm sure you will do great and hey, you'll be back in no time grossing us out with more scar pics !! :P :glee:

Take care
:squeeze:

chele

Phil
14th October 2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by RocketQueen@Oct 14 2005, 02:28 PM
OH no, dont think I could handle ahving my underwear removed by a complete stranger.
Reminds me of a good weekend out!

All the best John, thinking of you!

Abbi
15th October 2005, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by rosie@Oct 14 2005, 06:02 PM
"are you ready? is that your final answer? you can call a friend, 50:50, ask the audience?"
he made me laugh. they do try and relax you :D

hehehe! nice one! yeah, all the nurses were really lovely on the morning of surgery....I think I was texting my mum, sister and few friends, and becky also...and they were so amazed about how fast I could text!

The anaethestist was like "well your our star attraction today" and I was like "really....I'm a star, always wanted to be one" :D

They gave me plently of time to get ready, they had me up at 7am to do obs (blood pressure and the like) so then I had from 7am - 8am to get a shower and change! (and do my hair of course :P)

marmyte
they've obviously never tried to put stockings on after taking a premed

I didn't have to put stockings on....they didn't trust me enough to do it myself! :P lol....I think I just woke up with them on! I didn't like them....they were too tight!

zerodegrees
15th October 2005, 09:32 AM
if they try and put the catheter in while I'm awake they might as well do the whole op without anaesthetic!!

cheers for all your kind words!

be back soon

love john x

RocketQueen
15th October 2005, 10:08 AM
It's painful enough having a catheter taken out!! Must be worse going in. UGH!

Lizzie89
15th October 2005, 11:22 AM
Dont talk to me about catheters :rant: i had a nasty expereince with them about 9 days post op. But mine was put in while i was under anesthetic, i woke up with it. Dont worry about losing your dignity, everyone shares everything, in the ADU anyway, stories experiences... syringes (jks) discusions on bowel functions, vomiting, and catheters are very common :-D its like a lil community

RocketQueen
15th October 2005, 12:03 PM
Like here? :D. I don't like it when u wake up, forget u have a catheter in, try and move, and it PULLS!!!!! Oh god! I hated that, and I have the mind of a goldfish (Abbi u knows it) so i usually do it about 100 times before I remember not to. ugh!! I used to call nurses and say, "I want to move, but I can't im scared ill pull on my catheter, what shall i do?" They werre pretty tolerant for a while, then someone came along and said "For gods sake see if she can have it out now" :D smiles.

BeckyH
15th October 2005, 12:29 PM
you won't have that problem with scoli surgery emily, you'll just want to lie perfectly still and not blink (part of that's morphine, part of it is paranoia) but we've all survived

RocketQueen
15th October 2005, 09:10 PM
And not blink? Why???? :-o

amaka
15th October 2005, 09:50 PM
Hi zeroD,

I wish you all the best and I will keep you in my prayers. remember positive thoughts and you'll be fine.

I can't wait to see your scars.

Take care

A

RocketQueen
15th October 2005, 09:53 PM
Zero-D! How cool! ZeroD and Des! :D

Gadget
16th October 2005, 02:02 PM
Good Luck!! Wishing you all the best.
Gadget xx