PDA

View Full Version : Cast off on October 14

Sealy
13th October 2005, 05:56 PM
Hey gang,

Deirdre will get her cast sawed off tomorrow.... long story short, the cast doesn't fit anymore. They're planning to bi-valve (sp ?) the cast - meaning that she will be able to wear it/remove it while we wait for the brace. I'm still trying to get in to see Dr. Rivard but it seems like a very long complicated procedure ( long complicated story... I'll explain later) (*) In the mean time, we are getting a mold for the Milwaukee brace since the Montreal connection is a bit weak. I know my husband will kill me when he finds out we'll probably end up with two braces :hammer: I won't tell him until the very last minute :ignore:

BTW.... I had a dream last night that when they removed the cast, the spine was completely straight - wishful thinking I know. :D Anyway, it's going to be a very emotional time for me since it will be the first time that I'll see her torso in such a long long time. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures.

(*) Oh man, I'm SO scared about tomorrow !!!! What if her curve just
collapses back to 68 degrees once they remove the cast ?????!!!!!
I'll probably faint when I see her without the cast, will she be able
to hold herself up without it? After some negotiating, we're
getting a mold for the Milwaukee brace because it's paid for by my
husband's insurance and the SpineCor is not. I found out today that
the Spinecor is not recognized by most/any insurance companies so
therefore the cost is not covered so it's going to be a major expense
for us - hubby likes to count his pennies you know :) We have not
been able to schedule anything with Dr. Rivard as of yet - we're
basically on some wait list ? They can't even give me a rough idea
as to when the next appointment will be - I feel like I'm in the
twilight zone.... O.K. enough ranting....I'll suck in my gut
tomorrow and take the good with the bad and the ugly :( If you don't
hear from me for a while, you'll know why..... *sobs*

Sealy

gerbo
14th October 2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Sealy@Oct 13 2005, 03:56 PM

Oh man, I'm SO scared about tomorrow !!!! What if her curve just
collapses back to 68 degrees once they remove the cast ?????!!!!!

Chill!!!

It won't, bodies do not work like that, I am sure that with the history of progressive improvement, she'll be fine!!

Just take one step at a time!

No more platitudes left, kind of know how you must be feeling :squeeze: :squeeze: :squeeze:

gerbo

Sealy
14th October 2005, 04:38 PM
Gerbo,

I'm at the Hospital for Sick Kids, using their internet (super cool !!!)
trying to print out the Vert Mooney study for her ortho - I owe it all to you for that tid bit. I'm hoping that he'll give us a script for physio at our local place that carries the torso rotation machine.

Deirdre's cast came off today and her back looks AMAZING!!!!! There is
no deformity whatsoever ! When I first saw her without the cast I
broke down and just held her ( this must be a mom thing ). Her torso
looks very weak but I don't see a curve to her spine at all - tears are
welling up as I type this. Thanks so much for all your support - I don't know where I'd be without it. :squeeze: Gotta go.....

Sealy

sins
14th October 2005, 04:42 PM
This is simply the best news we could have hoped for! I'm so happy for you and Deirdre. Tell us more when you get home.
Sins

gerbo
14th October 2005, 04:56 PM
good to see (metaphorically) you happy. :D :D :D

Personally i doubt very much that you could use the torsorotation, your deidre is just too small. My Laura of 11 can hardly handle the machine (designed for adults) What you can take away from it though is how important it is to have strong back muscles, and similar strength on both sides (which you are likely to have currently). Just do lots of swimming with her, so much more enjoyable anyway, and give her millions of hugs and cuddles :squeeze: :squeeze: :squeeze: , now that will be good exercise for both of you, will strengthen your backs and your minds

gerbo

Jonny
14th October 2005, 06:03 PM
Congratulations Sealy - the best anyone could hope for :-)

BeckyH
14th October 2005, 06:09 PM
that's great news - like gerbo said, get swimming!

Jules
14th October 2005, 06:14 PM
Thats such great news! I'm so happy for you. I hope you really enjoy those cuddles and have a great time swimming! :squeeze:

titch
14th October 2005, 08:34 PM
Fantastic news!! :D

tonibunny
14th October 2005, 09:55 PM
Absolutely wonderful news, congratulations Sealy :D

mark
14th October 2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Sealy@Oct 14 2005, 02:38 PM
no deformity whatsoever ! When I first saw her without the cast I
broke down and just held her ( this must be a mom thing ).
I don't think it's just a mom thing Sealy i think its a parent thing i regularly have tears in my eyes reading posts in this forum.

I'm really pleased for you and your family and i hope things only get better for you all

here's thinking about you and your family

mark

newgirl
15th October 2005, 12:52 PM
Sealy,
I promise i am going to update garfield to a happier looking chap. That is such wonderful news, well done you and Deirdre.
Is Deirdre in the rigid brace now or what is the plan? Am also interested to hear the orthos opinion on the torso rotation machine, if you get a chance to update us.
The tears thing, meet your sister!!
Nicola

Sealy
15th October 2005, 05:08 PM
Hey gang,

Deirdre has had three baths and counting within the last twenty four
hour period ! LOL !! When we went to see the "master" orthotist at
the hospital, he remarked that it didn't look like she even had
scoliosis !!! This was wonderful to hear since it confirmed my
thoughts on her appearance. Twenty four hours later and her back
still looks straight - I asked her to bend for the Adams forward
bending test and there was no rib hump !!!!!!! Yipppeeee !! The
true test will be in two weeks time when we go back to pick up the
Milwaukee and get an x-ray. I'm hoping she adapts well to it... If
she's not cured and things looks bad, we're planning to see Dr.
Rivard about the Spinecor. The cast/brace she is wearing now has very
little padding in it, it looks like a boston brace - they applied
velcro straps to her previous cast, which is now removable - and it's
just barely holding her - I don't think it's doing very much. I'll get some pictures of it later today and post them - it looks really impressive ! Oh....and I PROMISE not to give an hour by hour update as to the appearance of her curve/back :hammer:

Gerbo, the people at physiomed who carry the torso rotation machine said that this machine has one pound increments and that she may be able to fit in it ? I just want to see for myself what this is all about, it may not be applicable to her at all but I don't want to leave any stone unturned.

Nicola, you have to change that cat's expression ! :D I'll give lots of updates on the torso rotation machine :squeeze:

Thanks to all for the wonderful well wishes....I hope things continue looking up for everyone and if it isn't for you, I hope things turn around very VERY soon !!!! :squeeze: :niceone:

Sealy

Sealy
15th October 2005, 10:16 PM
Hey gang,

I've uploaded some pictures of Deirdre without her cast ! I don't think the picture quality is all that great since I had to reduce the photos and it did something to the 'texture' of the photos.....sorry.

Sealy

Gadget
16th October 2005, 05:19 PM
Glad that she looks so great. Hope that everything works out fantastic for you both.
Gadget xx

tonibunny
16th October 2005, 06:50 PM
Wow, those photos are amazing Sealy! Deirdre's spine is sooooo straight! Congratulations again :D

Jules
16th October 2005, 09:05 PM
All I can say is wow, Sealy those are amazing photos, her spine is so straight I would never guess she had scoliosis! I'm so so so happy for you! You must be over the moon! :jump:

Thaleias spirit
16th October 2005, 10:03 PM
Sealy.

If I hadn't read all those posts and seen pictures before I would not have believed that Deirdre had scoliosis.

I'm truly hoping the spine holds its current shape until you go back.

It's great news, I can imagine how much you are beaming at the moment.

:hammer: Woo Hoo !!!

Chele

Sealy
16th October 2005, 10:17 PM
I'm beaming from ear to ear and yes....I'm over the moon !!! Unfortunately, there is a tiny voice that keeps reminding me of the "fine print" and wonder whether this will just be a momentary thing and she'll progress once again - as you all know scoliosis is a long term condition. Right now I'll just bask in the sun and enjoy it for all it's worth :-D

mark
16th October 2005, 10:19 PM
Those photo's a re fantastic, its realy great news i am so pleased for you and Deirdre

Thanks for sharing them wih us Sealy i was having a pretty rubbish day but you've just put a smile back on my face thanks

mark

Sealy
17th October 2005, 06:18 PM
Mark,

I hope your day is better today :squeeze: I'm happy to hear that the photos put a smile on your face.

andrea
17th October 2005, 09:21 PM
That's great news Sealy, I'm really thrilled for you. :D

mark
18th October 2005, 12:27 AM
Thanks Sealy, yes it has been a better day

Sealy
18th October 2005, 06:25 PM
Hey gang,

Just to update....we went to the place that carries the torso rotation machine - TOTAL LETDOWN !!!!! She's too small (you were right Gerbo :P ) Anyhoo..... I'll have to think of something else.

gerbo
18th October 2005, 06:52 PM
dancing, :monkey: :monkey: swimming and living in general might just be all what is required, you might get used to the idea of not having to come up with "the next plan" for a while (or at all????) 8) 8)

relax and enjoy and be happy for a bit :D :D :D

Sealy
21st October 2005, 09:46 PM
You mean I can stop worrying ????! :-o I don't know if I can ! You'll never guess... Deirdre is getting the SpineCor Nov 1, in Montreal. I'm really excited about this and it kind of represents the last phase in our journey (hopefully). I won't bore you all with pictures but she's still very straight :niceone: Oh man, can things get any better ???? I keep pinching myself to make sure this is real :D