PDA

View Full Version : Back support

Phil
30th September 2005, 11:06 PM
http://www.physiosupplies.com/acatalog/Lit...ck_Support.html (http://www.physiosupplies.com/acatalog/Lite_Back_Support.html)

have a look at the above link, its a back support designed for lower back by the looks of things. Like a half corset/brace design.

My lower back has been feeling bad recently. My kyphosis is in my thoratic region but scoliosis is in my lumber region. I am wondering if anyone has any experience of supporting their back by means of the above link? Any advice would be great.

Regards

mark
30th September 2005, 11:12 PM
No i have'nt Phil but if your going to give a go keep us posed on its effectiveness

BeckyH
30th September 2005, 11:12 PM
i had to wear a larger one of those after surgery and it drove me nuts. to quote my physio: "it doesn't protect your fusion, it's to remind you you've had surgery and that you're not to bend etc" :rant: how on EARTH am i supposed to forget? :D

anyways, to answer your question, phil, i don't think it gave me much support/eased pain...actually, i'll go and put mine on and see (not that i'm in pain at the moment but it's worth a try)

BeckyH
30th September 2005, 11:19 PM
my official verdict? (urm, ok, opinion) mine isn't any good for lumbar pain relief :-( it's more for keeping my thoracic section in line i think (because i didn't have surgery on my thoracic curve i had to maintain good posture and stuff i think so that my thoracic curve unwinds itself) i'd happily try a lumbar support, i think it could work, ooh i wonder if i could put corset on more round my hips...*adjusts self*

BeckyH
30th September 2005, 11:21 PM
update: success! but the metal rods in it are in the wrong place and it keeps popping open a bit cos i'm too fat to wear this size in this place :rofl:

jfkimberly
1st October 2005, 08:09 AM
Your willingness to investigate this idea impresses me, Becky. Thank you. *grin*

Now that you've had a trial with it, do you think that if you had one made to fit the lumbar area it would provide some support?

Lizzie89
1st October 2005, 11:30 AM
Erm my dad used to have a think like that to improve his posture, nothing to do with scoli but ye, it worked for him ok, stopped back ache abit aswell. If you in alot pain maybe it would be a good idea to try it. I dont know if the kyphosis would cause it to fit wrongly though :-?

BeckyH
1st October 2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by jfkimberly@Oct 1 2005, 06:09 AM
Your willingness to investigate this idea impresses me, Becky. Thank you. *grin*

Now that you've had a trial with it, do you think that if you had one made to fit the lumbar area it would provide some support?
yeah, a bit like what toni's having made i think would work. i'd have kept that thing on all night if the rods weren't in the wrong place (though i could've taken them out) and i didn't keep busting out of it :D it's good if you're achy but like i said, mine is annoying because it doesn't offer me support around my fusion, it's tight around the few vertebrae above it.

NB - when i say rods in relation to my corset, it has two flat bits of metal which go either side of your spine. although they're flat, they have a curve in them to fit with a natural lordosis, so when i wear the corset in the wrong place (ie round my lumbar region) they are the wrong shape. so you can take the metal bits out for xrays (did that when i was in hospital) and to wash the corset in the washing machine

Phil
1st October 2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks all. I will think about it, may make my tummy look trimmer to!

RocketQueen
1st October 2005, 08:34 PM
Phil. If u get a post of brace, when they cast you, pull ur tummy in a bit. I did it when I was first cast becuase I didnt want to lok fat infront of the doctor, when I got home, I realised it made me look like I have a nice flat tummy. :) Don't pull in loads and loads though coz itll be painfull if u do, to wear it.

Lizzie89
2nd October 2005, 11:38 AM
And dont laugh when you being cast, because as you breathe in again the plaster kinda shrinks and it gets quite uncomfortable lol.

RocketQueen
2nd October 2005, 11:53 AM
LOL! I can't help but wonder what u were laughing about LIzzie? Did it just feel funny? x

Lizzie89
2nd October 2005, 09:26 PM
No my mum was sitting next to me and goign pst so id turn round and then pulling her stomach in and sticking her tounge out! Poor Kelvin kept trying to stop me twisting and not get plaster in my hair as it wouldnt all fit in the stocking thingy, the whole situation was making me giggle, i giggle at everything

BeckyH
2nd October 2005, 09:31 PM
oh yeah - don't forget to take the sexy "hairband" off before you leave, apparently its not uncommon for people to leave the hospital with them still on :D

Lizzie89
2nd October 2005, 09:55 PM
Seriously! Haha, actually sounds like something i'd do :oops:

BeckyH
2nd October 2005, 09:57 PM
that's what kelvin said!