PDA

View Full Version : got my appointment!!

Abbie
29th September 2005, 10:35 PM
Today i got my appointment for my first casting!! i am a bit scared and just wanted to know what its like to be cast.

my appointment is next thursday, so not long!!!

BarmyArmy
29th September 2005, 10:41 PM
Ooh I wish I could pass along some wonderful words of wisdom but I've never been for something like this.

I just wanted to wish you good luck and to let you know that you'll be in our thoughts.
:squeeze:

mark
29th September 2005, 10:55 PM
Try not to worry too much and i am sure it will all go really well for you. I'm there's lots of people who can reasure you Abbie i just wanted to let you know i willbe thinking of you next thursday

mark

BeckyH
29th September 2005, 10:57 PM
i've only been cast for a brace once but remember it really clearly. you need to ask what you need to wear, you should be able to have at least one person in the plaster room with you and when the cast is applied, every time you breathe it feels like it gets tighter :-( but it's ok, it's over quickly and doesn't hurt or anything. when is it?

RocketQueen
30th September 2005, 12:21 AM
It's fine hun. It's nothing to worry about, in fact if feels rather nice. It's all warm when the put the stuff on you, and Marmyte is correct everytime u breath u feel like it is gettin tighter and tighter, but it won't hurt, not one little tiny bit.
When u have the brace on it'll be really uncomfy, but after u have got to wearing it for a few hours, it will actually feel nice to have it on, u can relax in it, without worrying where ur spine is wandering off too. I promise it's cool! Good luck, when I was casr I was allowed both my parents in so u prolly will be too. x

sins
30th September 2005, 03:52 PM
Good luck Abbie, let us know how it all goes for you.
Have also been casted and of course wore a plaster cast for six months and it was all fine. There's nothing to be nervous about at all.
Sins

RocketQueen
30th September 2005, 04:12 PM
Why did u have to wear a plastercast fo 6 months? wouldn't that mean u wouldn;t have been able to wash? Am i tekking this too literally?

Jonny
30th September 2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by RocketQueen@Sep 29 2005, 11:21 PM
It's fine hun. It's nothing to worry about, in fact if feels rather nice. It's all warm when the put the stuff on you, and Marmyte is correct everytime u breath u feel like it is gettin tighter and tighter, but it won't hurt, not one little tiny bit.
When u have the brace on it'll be really uncomfy, but after u have got to wearing it for a few hours, it will actually feel nice to have it on, u can relax in it, without worrying where ur spine is wandering off too. I promise it's cool! Good luck, when I was casr I was allowed both my parents in so u prolly will be too. x
Really well put :-)

You can wash in a plaster cast if you're given a big waterproof bag thing to go over it. As far as I know, though, plaster jackets are only ever used now for infantile scoliosis, and for exceptional cases such as fusions in people who can't tolerate instrumentation or have had it removed. This is in place of metalwork, to immobilise the spine as it fuses. (This is what Sinead's was for.)

Lizzie89
30th September 2005, 05:37 PM
Dont worry about it Abbie, the people who do it are well alright. It doesnt hurt to be cast and its realy not too bad.
Rocket queen was exactly right.
All the best
x

Abbie
30th September 2005, 06:48 PM
thanks for all the support! i am not as nervous as i was before and you have all reasured me :D :D

RocketQueen
30th September 2005, 06:49 PM
ThanQ Johnny

And thanQ for explianing to me too. x

Blair
30th September 2005, 07:02 PM
Good luck Abbie!

BeckyH
30th September 2005, 07:32 PM
abbie like i said before, make sure you know what to wear if it doesn't say on the letter, get your mum to phone and ask. thinking about it, i had to wear just a vest and they gave me a body stocking thing to put on over that. i was cast at bolsover street, i don't know where you're going but it may be slightly different, you don't want to go unprepared :-)

Abbie
30th September 2005, 10:29 PM
ill get my mum to ring them tomorrow then. ive recently read a book called deenie by judy blume which is about a girl who has scoliosis and she had to wear a body stocking- is it just like a sock that you put on??

Abbi
30th September 2005, 10:34 PM
Hey Abbie! (ooh that is werid....lol) Its great you got an appt. I am so glad, your treatment is another step forward! I have never been casted before, so I don't know what its like, but by the looks of things you have got a good run down on what to expect! I am sure it will go fine! Good luck hun! **hugs**

:-)

Abbi x

EDIT: Left out the E at the end of ur name,....that just shows how self obsessed I am! :P

BeckyH
30th September 2005, 11:04 PM
i read that book when i was younger too abbie, i read it before i was diagnosed.

you know what a tubi-grip is? it's what you get when you have a sprained ankle/wrist or other such injury. that's what the body stocking is like...i can't remember if it had arms a bit like a vest...but it got really icky from the plaster (understandable really!) and i was allowed to give myself a quick wash before i went home, but had to have a proper scrub when i got home.

like we've all said though - having a casting isn't a bad experience, you'll be well looked after. any more questions about anything, feel free to msn me :-)

Abbie
30th September 2005, 11:12 PM
Thanks! is it ok if i add you to my contacts??

BeckyH
30th September 2005, 11:14 PM
yeah no problem. i wouldn't make my address public if i minded people asking me "stupid" questions :D (i put it like that because i've never been asked a stupid question and never will)

RocketQueen
1st October 2005, 12:17 PM
I was cast at Bolsover St by Mr Kelvin, he was lovely and gentle, despite me being such a miserable brat about it.
They put a body stocking on me as well, I don't think I had ne thing on underneath other than a bra, but ur best of phoning to check n e ways.
As far as i remember the body stocking was vrey thin and stretchy, like tights for ur body really?
Are they going to put a pad in your afterwards? To help correct the spine where it is out of place? They did that on mine, I had to wait longer to have the bit put in though.
When I wore the brace, the bit where the pad was, felt like someone had rubbed Radain B on that area, so it was really soothing.
x

Oh guys, my bf told me about that book, and I saw it for sale on e bay, I was thinking about getting it. I was wonderin if you guys could give me a review? x

BeckyH
1st October 2005, 12:21 PM
i was cast by kelvin at bolsover street too - he was lovely. your treatment can only have started 6 months or a year before mine emily...it's quite spooky.

anyways, it's ages since i read that book. it's about an american girl and i think it was written in the 80s (but i can't remember) so i'm not sure how relevant some of it is to a british person undergoing treatment now. after i was diagnosed i remembered the book and knew i wasn't alone but it hasn't helped me as much as being here :-)

RocketQueen
1st October 2005, 12:25 PM
Yeah mumst have done Marmyte :). He was lovely, i feel bad for bieng so miserable now. Aaaaw. Oh well! I am far more mature now, and needs must. Do u kno if he is still working there?
I understand what u mean about the book not being that relevant now, but mebbe an interesting read n e ways.

BeckyH
1st October 2005, 12:30 PM
i think he is still there. i haven't seen him for almost 3 years now but he's been there for ages (very experienced orthotist) if i had a problem it got sorted really quickly and my brace got made pretty fast too

Lizzie89
1st October 2005, 04:39 PM
His still there its Kelvin that always casts me, he did my pre and post op braces, he's lovely, really kind and everything. I think he does most of them as i had him at Stanmore and Bolsover *ive been all over the place :-) *

Phil
1st October 2005, 05:06 PM
Abbie, all the best and chill! I am sure all will be cool. :)

RocketQueen
1st October 2005, 08:37 PM
Kool! If i ever need braceing again, ill look forward to seeing him. Tee hee!

Lizzie89
2nd October 2005, 11:36 AM
Oh and Abbie its really cool seeing your body cast in plastic, it looks so odd, i was so suprised to see that i had hips as i usually wear fairly baggy jeans that hide them as i didnt like there unevenness :-)